Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott to buy all Gaylord properties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 6:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Gold; Hyatt: Diamond
Marriott is just managing the properties, Gaylord still owns the hotels.
Old May 31, 2012, 6:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
as they do at the vast majority of properties w their brand on the front door......

Originally Posted by 4bangn
Marriott is just managing the properties, Gaylord still owns the hotels.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards: Gold; Hyatt: Diamond
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
as they do at the vast majority of properties w their brand on the front door......
The title of the thread says BUY, so I corrected it since no one already had.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, MR Plat, DM Silver, RR, AA, US, BA
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
I think the previous poster's point is that the title of the thread is incorrect. Marriott did not buy the Gaylord properties, they bought the brand and the right to manage the properties. A more accurate name would be.. Marriott to manage all Gaylord Properties
Old May 31, 2012, 8:38 pm

I would highly doubt that these will be Autograph Collection hotels. I would think it more likely that Marriott uses the Gaylord brand as their "conference center" property and prospective re-flags several large conference-centric hotels as Gaylord by Marriott.
Old May 31, 2012, 8:51 pm

For the National Harbor resort, full-fledged gambling has recently been mentioned as a possibility for that location. Influential Maryland officials have reversed course and now seem to be favoring National Harbor as a preferred future gambling site.
Old May 31, 2012, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by rmiller774
For the National Harbor resort, full-fledged gambling has recently been mentioned as a possibility for that location. Influential Maryland officials have reversed course and now seem to be favoring National Harbor as a preferred future gambling site.
Interesting... that's a very nice (and huge) location
Old May 31, 2012, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It seems like there's already enough brands under Marriott umbrella, do they really need another one? Soon the list of which benefits apply at which chains will not fit on one page even in fine print. I thought Autograph and Edition were supposed to take care of the full service properties that didnt' quite fit in one of the traditional Marriott, JW, Rennaissance buckets?
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
[QUOTE=VickiSoCal;18677513] Soon the list of which benefits apply at which chains will not fit on one page even in fine print. QUOTE]

No worries. I think they're scaing back on the bennies enough that it soon won't matter. Marriott's concern is not elites.

Cheers.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:31 am

This is interesting. We stayed at the Gaylord Texan last year and while my kids loved it, I was kinda *ehhh* about it. I think the water park was good not great, there were no kid dining options, although the spa did have some nice little girl activities. We got a great room that although slightly overpriced for a suite was nice and fit our family. I've thought about going back to either there or Grey Wolf a few times but we can never make it fit our travel schedule.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:01 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by TexasWook
...I think the water park was good not great...
I've stayed at this hotel twice and gone to three or four additional conferences at the hotel while staying nearby, and this is the first I'm aware of a water park there! Hysterical. I guess it really is a HUGE property!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
It seems like there's already enough brands under Marriott umbrella, do they really need another one? Soon the list of which benefits apply at which chains will not fit on one page even in fine print. I thought Autograph and Edition were supposed to take care of the full service properties that didnt' quite fit in one of the traditional Marriott, JW, Rennaissance buckets?
Vicki - have you ever been to one of the Gaylord properties? They really have a niche that is pretty unique. There are a few other properties in the country that would fit this niche - Kalahari comes to mind - but I cannot think of any MI properties that would be similar. Maybe some people do, but I couldn't imagine staying in one of these properties unless I was attending a large convention on the site.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

The only Marriott property that comes to my mind as being similar is the Marriott World Center Resort but I guess it would be to close to the Gaylord Palms to rebrand it...
Old Jun 2, 2012, 5:43 am

Programs: MR Ag, LH FTL
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
It seems like there's already enough brands under Marriott umbrella, do they really need another one?
I agree that the number of brands is getting out of hand, even Marriott devotees have hard time following their niches (at least I do). Some consolidation would help, or soon every property will have it's own brand.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by slowly
I agree that the number of brands is getting out of hand, even Marriott devotees have hard time following their niches (at least I do). Some consolidation would help, or soon every property will have it's own brand.
While there might be some legs to the argument that MI has too many brands, force fitting Gaylord into an existing brand wouldn't make sense. The Gaylord name brings a definite type of hotel experience to mind, specifically to people who plan large meetings, which is more valuable than any existing Marriott name.

It would be like purchasing Blair House, but renaming it the George Washington University Marriott. Everyone already knows that Blair House is where invited White House guests stay, and that it's across the street from the White House. Renaming it would take away that instant identity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.