Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Elite Benefits for 3rd Party Website Bookings ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Benefits for 3rd Party Website Bookings ?

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2017, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by PHL
My SPG stays on Priceline rates still earned points on incidentals, platinum amenity and Green choice.
Good to know. I was told they didn't.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:06 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PHL
My SPG stays on Priceline rates still earned points on incidentals, platinum amenity and Green choice.
Before everyone starts running over to Priceline hoping to get a Starwood hotel and full SPG benefits/points, they might want to check out the SPG elite beneifts T&Cs first.

Terms & Conditions of the SPG Program
"An "Eligible Rate" is the rate an SPG Member pays for a stay in a guest room at an SPG Participating Hotel unless:
(1) the guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com, ctrip.com, and elong.com;"

SPG MEMBER BENEFITS
"In-hotel benefits are not offered if the reservation is made with an ineligible rate through a prepaid, third-party channel, such as priceline.com, expedia.com, booking.com, orbitz.com, elong.com and delta.com."

Note that one person's experience, one time, does not a general rule make.
Old May 4, 2017, 7:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Good to know. I was told they didn't.

Cheers.
Incidentals earning points at SPG properties on third party bookings generally should work fine -- as SPG doesn't require a person to have a hotel stay in order to have charges at the property get credited to an SPG account.

Getting the Platinum amenity (and various other Platinum elite) benefits on third party website bookings for SPG hotels is much more of a gamble than getting Platinum benefits at Marriott hotels.

Marriott has a history of having a policy of not treating its customers as "you are just your rate this time". Starwood is a different story.
Old May 4, 2017, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Before everyone starts running over to Priceline hoping to get a Starwood hotel and full SPG benefits/points, they might want to check out the SPG elite beneifts T&Cs first.

Terms & Conditions of the SPG Program
"An "Eligible Rate" is the rate an SPG Member pays for a stay in a guest room at an SPG Participating Hotel unless:
(1) the guest room was booked through a tour operator, online travel channel or other third-party channel including, without limitation, expedia.com, hotwire.com, priceline.com, orbitz.com, booking.com, travelocity.com, ctrip.com, and elong.com;"

SPG MEMBER BENEFITS
"In-hotel benefits are not offered if the reservation is made with an ineligible rate through a prepaid, third-party channel, such as priceline.com, expedia.com, booking.com, orbitz.com, elong.com and delta.com."

Note that one person's experience, one time, does not a general rule make.
I think that's what I remembered it from, or someone mentioned it in the SPG forum. With Marriott you are entitled to 'elite recognition benefits' on 3rd party stays. With SPG sounds more like a toss of the coin/individual property.

Cheers.
Old May 4, 2017, 10:45 am
Suspended

I think that's what I remembered it from, or someone mentioned it in the SPG forum. With Marriott you are entitled to 'elite recognition benefits' on 3rd party stays. With SPG sounds more like a toss of the coin/individual property.

Cheers.
Of the major hotel programs which I use, it used to be just Hyatt and Marriott that by policy treated me as a top-tier elite regardless of my rate type. Hyatt has now joined Hilton and Starwood in "you are your rate this time" -- regardless of elite status -- when using third party bookings.

Marriott is the bit exception, in a good way.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
I booked a Vertigo hotel thru a normal travel agent and once at the hotel after an award stay extended and SPG have refused to credit the stay night and spend .
even though the award night states:
SPG Participation Policy
This is a partner hotel with limited participation in the SPG Program. All SPG Members will receive Starpoints on eligible spend, elite nights credit, and on-property benefits of internet access and bottled water in room. In addition, Gold Preferred Guests and Platinum Preferred Guests will automatically receive Starpoints as their Welcome Gift. Any other SPG member benefits will not be available at this hotel.
Old May 9, 2017, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by aussielori
I booked a Vertigo hotel thru a normal travel agent and once at the hotel after an award stay extended and SPG have refused to credit the stay night and spend .
even though the award night states:
SPG Participation Policy
This is a partner hotel with limited participation in the SPG Program. All SPG Members will receive Starpoints on eligible spend, elite nights credit, and on-property benefits of internet access and bottled water in room. In addition, Gold Preferred Guests and Platinum Preferred Guests will automatically receive Starpoints as their Welcome Gift. Any other SPG member benefits will not be available at this hotel.
The above should probably be posted in the SPG forum to ask for the Lurkers help.

Cheers.
Old May 24, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond (SM), Asiana Diamond.
IWith Marriott you are entitled to 'elite recognition benefits' on 3rd party stays. With SPG sounds more like a toss of the coin/individual property.
I have not known this before, and it is very good to know this. Is this written in the T&C? I was not able to find here.
Old May 25, 2017, 5:49 am

On the Elite Benefits T&Cs it states:

"In order to qualify for the Elite Benefits Guarantee, the Elite Member's Membership Number, Elite Membership status, and bed type preferences must be included with the reservation. Reservations made through meeting planners, travel agents, wholesalers or other third party sources must include this information in order to be included in the Guarantee."
Old May 25, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond (SM), Asiana Diamond.
Originally Posted by hhoope01
On the Elite Benefits T&Cs it states:

"In order to qualify for the Elite Benefits Guarantee, the Elite Member's Membership Number, Elite Membership status, and bed type preferences must be included with the reservation. Reservations made through meeting planners, travel agents, wholesalers or other third party sources must include this information in order to be included in the Guarantee."
Thank you! I probably skipped that line.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
Anyone know if this has changed with the merge?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by davidsc111
Anyone know if this has changed with the merge?
Legit question. What has changed w/ the merger?

Are you referring to elite recognition bennies, which MAR has always done (which SPG didn't if I read the threads correctly), or if MAR has gone to SPG model, etc?

Cheers.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 5:23 am
Suspended

Are you referring to elite recognition bennies, which MAR has always done (which SPG didn't if I read the threads correctly), or if MAR has gone to SPG model, etc?

Cheers.
The question is about the latter. But given Marriott seems to be in fleece-‘em mode, I suspect the answer to the shared question is not positive for 3rd-party booking customers of sorts.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador

Cheers.
Yes, just elite bennies...I'm looking at some great rates via Chase Ultimate Rewards in Singapore next summer and the rates lose some value if I don't get my PP+A benefits. Never been to Singapore and won't spend much time in the room (just a couple of days after spending time in Bali) but a nice breakfast and a room with a view would push me towards staying at a Marriott property over someplace else...I'll reach out to CS and report back if/when I receive a solid answer.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 3:55 pm

I would guess nothing has changed with respect to getting elite benefits no matter the rate (or where/how the reservation has made.) Though with that said, I'm not sure how well Marriott has been in getting all the new T&Cs out to hotels (or just as likely how well the various local hotel staff have really spent time understanding the new rules). So it may well be that legacy SPG hotels will default to their legacy rules and Marriott hotels will tend to default to their legacy rules for the next few weeks or so. And that may mean a bit of "fighting" to get new rules enforced (at least rules that benefit the elite customer rather than the hotel.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.