Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: dgreen12
Hotel Website: The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Autograph Collection
Official List of Cosmopolitan Bonvoy Elite Benefits: https://www.cosmopolitanlasvegas.com/marriott-bonvoy-at-the-cosmopolitan-of-las-vegas

The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, the only charges that qualify for Points are as follows:
- Room rate, room service food and beverage, in-room movies, phone calls and in-room minibar purchases
- Points cannot be earned on any other purchases at hotel outlets or for hotel services

The Cosmopolitan is a "resort," so basically the only elite benny is a possible upgrade. Elites are not exempt from the resort fee

Resort fee is $39+tax effective 01/01/2019. Also as of that date, parking (self & valet) is complimentary for hotel guests.

Cosmopolitan is exempt from providing free wifi to Plats per Marriott's T&Cs, however it is included with the mandatory $39 daily resort fee so there is still no extra charge to any guest for using it.

Platinums receive:

* use of Platinum check-in area (to the left of main desks)

* Platinum arrival gift is $10FB coupon or 1,000 points

* room upgrade (space available) - better luck on mid-week stays than weekend stays. sometimes a 'sandwich' (ie, bribe) to front desk does the trick.

* free tea/coffee 6am - noon in the plat lobby check-in area

* Wicked Spoon: Marriott Rewards Platinums (and PPs) get to use preferred line and get 15% discount when staying at the property. Just show your MR Plat or PP card.
You can book through Virtuoso as well as Amex FHR for complimentary breakfast buffet at Wicked spoon.

Resort fee:

* $39 (+ tax) per day for resort fee, which includes gym access, local + long distance calls, Wifi, pool access. The resort fee is not waived.

Receiving Bonvoy Points for a Stay:

Many have reported needing to follow up to have Marriott Bonvoy points manually posted post stay (they do not typically post automatically.) A tip is to email [email protected] shortly after a stay asking them to manually forward your folio to Marriott Bonvoy for processing.

Hat tip to billycwhatup for this:

* Identity points and MR points can not be earned on the same stay

Other tips

The Terrace Suites are the most common room type and are classified as studio and one bedroom, with options for King, 2 Queens with or without a fountain view. They are essentially the same size, however (10 sq ft difference), but the layouts differ.

The King Studio Suite has a standard bathroom with shower and tub, a living room area with large sitting area and an L shaped sofa and the bed is in a separate area, though not separated.

The King One BR Suite has the same kind of living room area, with the bedroom separated by sliding doors and the bathroom is larger, with a "soaking tub".

If you get a terrace suite of any kind with 2 Queens, the living area will be smaller.

And unless your room type is described as "fountain view", you aren't guaranteed it, though Platinum status will get you upgraded on check in if they have one available.

If you book any of these room types and want to aim higher, I would try a giving the receptionist a 50$ "sandwich", and ask if any wraparounds upgrades would be available. If they say yes, there is a good chance that it will be a wraparound facing south-east or south-west, which for me would be a no go. Taste in view is personal of course, but for me the fountain-Eiffel tower view are so much nicer than the south facing views. Also when you would have the choice between a low level wraparound or high level terrace suite, I would still take the high level terrace suite, because a number of floors on the east tower are blocked by the big Bellagio sign. (see youtube vids).

If you really want a high level wraparound then you probably would have to pay, which can sometimes be not that much. If I'm not mistaken I think they offered me a wraparound at 150$ per night more, but we originally booked a 1 bedroom terrace room without view.

Last tip : If you would get the choice of wraparound I would definitely take a high floor east tower one, facing north-east. That would give you bellagio fountain + eiffel tower view, but also a good portion of the south strip.

Print Wikipost

Las Vegas Cosmopolitan Hotel [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Maybe you can help me out. I'm staying in a 3-bedroom Chelsea Penthouse Suite in a couple of months. Are there any special requests I should make regarding location?
Unfortunately, that falls outside my knowledge base. The name of the room leads me to believe it will be in the Chelsea (formerly known as "West") Tower.

The main floors in that building are laid out so that the hallway rund the length of the building and there are rooms on either side (pretty much a normal hotel floor plan).

I can see where a 3 bedroom could have all three rooms on the same side of the hall, but I can also see where they could do a floor-through layout on one end or the other. One of the draws at Cosmo is a view of the Bellagio fountains. In a floor-through layout, the room you have will automatically get the fountain view; otherwise it's possible 1/2 will have them and 1/2 won't.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I have a week long stay coming up at the Cosmo - business trip.

Looks like a slew of dining options. I will probably check out Wicked Spoon, but any place else a stand-out?

Any hidden gems or other tips for the property?
Just finished up my 7 nights at Cosmo. Thanks for those that provided some advice. My thoughts:

Booked at a conference rate. I was upgraded to Terrace One Bedroom - City view. I really liked the room. Spacious and high quality furnishings. Very clean and daily housekeeping service was spot-on. Overlooked both pool areas, which was an experience during the Electric Daisy Carnival festivities.

Restaurants:
Wicked Spoon was a bit of a let down. It was "OK", but nothing that would merit the hype.

Holsteins was a big disappointment. OK concept, failed execution. Burger was dry and flavorless. Several colleagues reported the same on their attempts.

Eggslut was great. Crazy lines at time, but very good food.

Most of my formal dinners ended up at other properties, so not much to report there.

Points: On arrival, I signed up for the Identity Program. Showed my card at all the restaurants to have points added, as well as the gambling of course. Before leaving, asked them to convert to Marriott Points, which they did at a rate of 1,000 Identity Points = 800 Marriott Rewards points. (500 increments). So at least I earned some MR Points on incidentals, but in a more complicated way.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 7:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
I used my SPG Amex at the Wicked Spoon over Memorial Day weekend and was happy to find on my statement that I received the Marriott/SPG bonus for the charge.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Life Gold, Marriott Platinum Elite
Just returned from a stay at Cosmo. I continue to note several minor changes they've made over time.
In my room they removed the small magnified mirror, I assume this is the case in all rooms. This is disappointing, strangely enough it was a feature that I really enjoyed and kind of looked forward to.

With my Marriott gold status I received an upgrade from a studio terrace to a 1 bedroom terrace without asking.

The parking was king of a mess. Took 10 minutes to leave the parking garage one day. Two people in a row took FOREVER to go through, then everyone else proceeded through in 10 seconds. I asked the attendant when I got there what the deal was and he said the credit card machine was down. OK, that's fine, but it's ridiculous to hold up 5 other cars because YOUR machine is down. I also still can't figure out why they have the sensors over parking spaces that no one can use, this causes the system to report available parking spaces that aren't available. Why not fix this, especially if you're going to charge for parking?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I just completed my first stay at The Cosmopolitan, and my entire family was blown away by what a wonderful hotel this is. We went into it with some trepidation, as our party is not the typical Vegas clientele, and we were especially concerned about online reviews that complained about "twenty-something, new money poseurs" all over the place. Those concerns were unfounded--the hotel staff made us feel as welcome as anyone else, and if anything the clientele here were a little more classy than elsewhere on the strip that we explored.

I really can't say enough about how great the staff was here. Every associate we met seemed genuinely happy to be working there and to be providing service. All of the restaurants we tried were quite good, some superb. The hotel itself is CLEAN, like sparkling clean, which really stands out against even some of the other so-called upscale hotels nearby. Housekeeping was thorough, and engineering responded quickly to two small issues we had--they clearly want to keep the place in tip-top shape and it shows.

If anyone has any questions about the Chelsea Penthouse Suites I'll be happy to answer them. I also became something of an expert in the vagaries of the Marriott Rewards vs. Identity Rewards programs and would be happy to try to help clear up questions about those.

In short, my family and I hadn't been to Vegas in six years; now we're already planning another trip back next year, mainly because staying at The Cosmopolitan was such a pleasure.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by azmojo
Just returned from a stay at Cosmo. I continue to note several minor changes they've made over time.
In my room they removed the small magnified mirror, I assume this is the case in all rooms. This is disappointing, strangely enough it was a feature that I really enjoyed and kind of looked forward to.

With my Marriott gold status I received an upgrade from a studio terrace to a 1 bedroom terrace without asking.

My stay in a Terrace One Bedroom - City view mid June still had the small magnified mirror.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 1:35 pm
mab

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
Premimum wifi for plat?

The Cosmo is now charging a $20/day surcharge for premium tier wifi. (This is atop the "free" wifi that's wrapped into the resort fee).

Can anyone here confirm that the premium surcharge is, in actual practice, reliably waived for platinum/platinum premier? I know it should be, as an Autograph property, but the Cosmo seems different in so many other annonying respects.

Thanks.

Last edited by mab; Jul 25, 2017 at 2:08 pm
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
I just signed in with my room number and last name, so I assume it was only the standard, free wi-fi. It was blazing fast, though. I didn't do a speed test, but was able to stream Netflix to my tablet in full HD with no artifacts. The internet sign-in page did have fine print directing you to go to another website if you wanted to pay for the premium wi-fi, but I never bothered (even if it would have been free as well).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:07 pm

I also found the free wifi to be sufficiently fast but it depends on what you are doing I guess.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: United 1K, MR Plat, SPG Plat
I don't believe Marriott Golds and Platinums will get the Enhanced WiFi @ The Cosmo based on terms and conditions of Marriott's In-Room Wifi
http://www.marriott.com/hotel-prices...ing-details.mi
Free To Marriott Rewards and The Ritz-Carlton Rewards Members In-Room Wi-Fi

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

...Gold and Platinum Elite Rewards members will continue to receive free enhanced in-room Wi-Fi where available at participating (bold added) hotels worldwide regardless of booking method.

Property that participates in the Marriott Rewards program but does not participate in free in-room Wi-Fi for Rewards members:

Atlantis Paradise Island*

The CosmopolitanTM, Las Vegas, NV*

Mulu Marriott Resort & Spa

*This property participates in free Wi-Fi for Gold and Platinum Elite members.

Not saying you couldn't argue for it @ check out and get it removed, but @ $20 per night it could add up quick if they don't.

Regards,

RIP...
Old Jul 30, 2017, 1:20 am

Programs: AS (75K+ miles flown) | Marriott Rewards | MLife Sapphire | Identity Silver | Hertz Gold Plus |
The gf and I will be staying one night in August, found a nice rate of $124 (night before is $800) that beats any other "luxury" hotel for the time we are there. I am a Marriott employee (Alaska economy and jobs are going to ....) this summer, plus got the recommendation from my boss. The rate got down to $105 but taxes and fees made it climb to $163ish.

After reading over half of this thread I wasn't completely sold but we need a date night (her brother is coming for his 21st birthday and we haven't seen him since he moved south to Seattle), and found a rate that was somewhat within reason for some college kids looking to blow off some steam before classes start (pretty sure Cosmo > Stratosphere).

Will definitely be interested how it goes and will reply here.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I just completed my first stay at The Cosmopolitan, and my entire family was blown away by what a wonderful hotel this is. We went into it with some trepidation, as our party is not the typical Vegas clientele, and we were especially concerned about online reviews that complained about "twenty-something, new money poseurs" all over the place. Those concerns were unfounded--the hotel staff made us feel as welcome as anyone else, and if anything the clientele here were a little more classy than elsewhere on the strip that we explored.

I really can't say enough about how great the staff was here. Every associate we met seemed genuinely happy to be working there and to be providing service. All of the restaurants we tried were quite good, some superb. The hotel itself is CLEAN, like sparkling clean, which really stands out against even some of the other so-called upscale hotels nearby. Housekeeping was thorough, and engineering responded quickly to two small issues we had--they clearly want to keep the place in tip-top shape and it shows.

If anyone has any questions about the Chelsea Penthouse Suites I'll be happy to answer them. I also became something of an expert in the vagaries of the Marriott Rewards vs. Identity Rewards programs and would be happy to try to help clear up questions about those.

In short, my family and I hadn't been to Vegas in six years; now we're already planning another trip back next year, mainly because staying at The Cosmopolitan was such a pleasure.
I'll be heading there Aug 15 to 18, Tue to Fri.

Trying to decide between Bellagio or Cosmo. I have plenty of Chase UR points which I will use some to significantly off set the cost.

Thing is Cosmo is quite expensive for those dates (close to 350-400 for most rooms). But I can see the draw which is the balcony...which no other hotel has and having that view from the balcony is probably something else.

Chelsea tower (West tower?) seems to have most of the Suite roooms and the Boulevard tower is mostly the studio/1bed terrace rooms? Of course wrapround is in both towers and from what I read the Boulevard/East tower high floor wraparound is probably the best room in the house.

Chelsea tower is also supposed to be more quiet? I do feel afraid that it will be set too far back to enjoy the fountains.

I'll be likely getting Cosmo (given all the recs) and will likely try something like a $50 tip to see if it can get me a nice room but any luck with this? And any suggestion on if I should go and get Cosmo balcony vs nicer Bellagio room (which Bellagio rates were quite cheaper than Cosmo rates for our travel dates)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 1:35 am

Originally Posted by ginmqi
I'll be heading there Aug 15 to 18, Tue to Fri.

Trying to decide between Bellagio or Cosmo. I have plenty of Chase UR points which I will use some to significantly off set the cost.

Thing is Cosmo is quite expensive for those dates (close to 350-400 for most rooms). But I can see the draw which is the balcony...which no other hotel has and having that view from the balcony is probably something else.

Chelsea tower (West tower?) seems to have most of the Suite roooms and the Boulevard tower is mostly the studio/1bed terrace rooms? Of course wrapround is in both towers and from what I read the Boulevard/East tower high floor wraparound is probably the best room in the house.

Chelsea tower is also supposed to be more quiet? I do feel afraid that it will be set too far back to enjoy the fountains.

I'll be likely getting Cosmo (given all the recs) and will likely try something like a $50 tip to see if it can get me a nice room but any luck with this? And any suggestion on if I should go and get Cosmo balcony vs nicer Bellagio room (which Bellagio rates were quite cheaper than Cosmo rates for our travel dates)
A tip might help, I think $20 would do it if you are just trying to get fountain views or a 1BR instead of a studio or if you want a high room, etc. I'm not sure making it $50 gets you anything more vs $20 but that's just my take. The upgrade from studio to 1BR and even the fountain view upgrade isn't that much anyway if you are already planning to part with $50 maybe you should just pay for it... The fountain views from the Chelsea tower are OK but the Blvd tower is definitely better.
For me, the benefits of the Cosmo room are the balcony which I really enjoy and the convenience of the parking... of all hotels it is the most efficient for getting from room to hotel. I also like it's location where I can zip across the street to "pedestrian food" if I choose or buzz over to Aria.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:27 am
mab

Programs: UA GS 2Million, Marriott PP & LTPP, Amtrak Select Exec
Originally Posted by mab
The Cosmo is now charging a $20/day surcharge for premium tier wifi. (This is atop the "free" wifi that's wrapped into the resort fee).

Can anyone here confirm that the premium surcharge is, in actual practice, reliably waived for platinum/platinum premier? I know it should be, as an Autograph property, but the Cosmo seems different in so many other annonying respects.

Thanks.
To answer my own question, in case anyone else is curious:

I'm Marriott Platinum Premier, but made the reservation via Amex Fine Hotels (which gives you free daily brunch for 2 at the very nice buffet). I called the hotel directly to add my Marriott # to the reservation. No problem, and confirmed the rate was eligible for Marriott points.

For plat and gold, they took $5 off the $35 resort fee to cover the basic wifi (without my having to ask). I selected the premium ($19.99/day) wifi, and that charge never appeared on my bill. So all was fine, no hassle. But I was careful to confirm that they had my Marriott number in the account at checkin.

BTW, they seem to only offer a 2pm late checkout to Marriott Gold/Plat. But I got 4pm with no problem because I booked via Amex FHR.

If you're Marriott plat, you DEFINITELY want to use the Autograph lounge checkin area. It's a zoo at the regular checkin desk area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.