Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 30, 2015, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rustykettel
Ten (10) Elite Nights are given for each meeting held in a participating hotel under the "Rewarding Events" program. See below for non-participating brands. Information about the Rewarding Events program may be found at https://www.marriott.com/meeting-eve...els/rewards.mi

The 10 elite nights per meeting are independent of any hotel rooms booked in conjunction with the meeting. In fact, no hotel rooms have to be booked as part of the meeting in order to receive credit for 10 elite nights.

Although the Rewarding Events webpage refers to room nights for meeting participants, the most important section is the one that states 10 Elite Nights, regardless if you or your guest is paying for it

In general, a written contract is required (or should be obtained). In many cases, the meeting is booked through a central Marriott group sales office instead of directly with a hotel. If booked through a central Marriott group sales office, there is a three-page contract that makes reference to the Rewarding Events program on page 2 of the agreement. A MR member number should be included in this area of the contract by the group sales office.

FAQs:

Q: What brands participate in the Rewarding Events program?
A: AC Hotels by Marriott, Aloft, Autograph Collection, Courtyard by Marriott, Delta Hotels by Marriott, EDITION, Element, Fairfield by Marriott, Four Points by Marriott, Gaylord Hotels, JW Marriott, LeMéridien, The Luxury Collection, Marriott Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club, Moxy Hotels, Protea Hotels by Marriott, Renaissance Hotels, The Ritz-Carlton, Sheraton, St. Regis, Tribute Portfolio, W Hotels, & Westin.
Residence Inn by Marriott, TownePlace Suites, & Marriott Executive Apartments do not participate in the program.

Q: How do I find a hotel that participates?
A: Click on the link to the Rewarding Events page and then in the "Plan" section of the page click on the "Find a Hotel" box. Enter the city you'd like to have your meeting in, purpose of event (Business) and then check the "I need meeting/event space" box. Enter the size of your meeting (2 attendees should work) and then click the "Find" box. Leave the start date and end date blank. A list of potential hotels will be shown. The smallest meeting room is not usually shown online --- you may need to call each hotel to find out which one has a boardroom or other small meeting room. Once you've found a small meeting room, then request a quote online.

Q: How quickly will Marriott respond with a quote?
A: Usually within a day or two --- and usually via email. The email should contain a telephone number of the group sales contact. Give them a call and tell them you'd like to follow up on the quote and you're interested in booking the smallest room available for a 2 person meeting for an hour. If they quote a price that's higher than you want to pay, ask them if they can get approval for a lower priced meeting (e.g., a recent quote was for $75 for an 8 hour use of a CY boardroom). They accepted a counter of $50 for a one-hour meeting in the room (plus service charge plus local sales tax). Urban hotels may charge significantly higher rates for meeting space than a smaller, less congested city.

Q: Is a contract required?
A: The terms of the program suggest "yes" --- although there are reports that 10 elite nights have been granted without contracts. A best practice would be to obtain a contract.

Q: How long do points and EQNs take to post after the event is over?
A: Generally, this takes 3+ business days. According to Marriott, it can take 15 business days. If you do not see anything post after 15 business days, contact the hotel before contacting Marriott customer support. The hotel has to be the one to post it.

You will get an e-mail with a subject line Your Rewarding Events Award has Posted: EVENT NAME

Q: Will the hotel know what I am talking about when I say points and elite night credits?
A: Probably not. They may know about the rewarding events points being 3x per dollar spent, but not always. Usually they know of only the Marriott system (Group Posting Tool) where they input how much you spent and when. This is done after the event and is usually authorized by the sales or general manager.

Q: The contract doesn't say anything about points, will I still earn them?
A: YMMV but so far all the electronic contracts from the website state it, but some fail to read it. The paper contracts usually talk about points, but some reports that they don't, but still post. Remember this is a Marriott Rewards benefit that the hotels don't seem to be footing the bill for.
Print Wikipost

Platinum Status in Eight Days and $800 - No Stays Required

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:49 pm

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by kgkg
Thank you! I was thinking that airport locations are the most likely candidate that gives noshow the 10 nights.

One more question, none of my request to 10 locations are responded over the past two days. However, I called a hotel and was offered $50 for 30-minutes. But the hotel told me there is no contract. I just need to sign in with the front desk. Will this type of arrangement give me the 10 elite nights? Do I have to go through the centralized sales manager to gain the 10 elite nights?

Thank you, all!
You could risk it but I wouldn't advise. You could ask them to confirm in writing (email) that your meeting qualifies for rewarding events and how many points they will be posting using the posting tool within a couple days of your meeting, but it's really best to get a contract with this all in there. You can just make more requests near a different airport location and someone should bite.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 4:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
How trustworthy is the account overview page? I'm about to sign the contracts for 8 meetings to renew my SPG + MR Plat for the next two years, but I noticed that the account overview page says I have 15 nights YTD and 60 nights to platinum--so if it's accurate, I'll just book 6.

(Why I'm hesitant: I have a Canadian Chase MR card. I read on FT that the 15 nights are credited on the anniversary date, which would be in August for me, but here I am with 15 nights YTD. I'd rather not cancel those last two meetings and go without SPG plat until August if it turns out I need them, but I'd rather not spend $120 I don't have to. I don't think it would be rollover nights, since I put all my nights in SPG last year)
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pewpew
How trustworthy is the account overview page? I'm about to sign the contracts for 8 meetings to renew my SPG + MR Plat for the next two years, but I noticed that the account overview page says I have 15 nights YTD and 60 nights to platinum--so if it's accurate, I'll just book 6.

(Why I'm hesitant: I have a Canadian Chase MR card. I read on FT that the 15 nights are credited on the anniversary date, which would be in August for me, but here I am with 15 nights YTD. I'd rather not cancel those last two meetings and go without SPG plat until August if it turns out I need them, but I'd rather not spend $120 I don't have to. I don't think it would be rollover nights, since I put all my nights in SPG last year)
You can call MR and ask how your account stands and they should be able to tell you the source of all the current nights. I would put a lot of faith in the MR numbers to be accurate.

Also, no more rollovers. Only nights earned in 2017 will rollover to this year. Anything done this year is just the nights, but they should add to the LT nights if you're getting close there.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 5:58 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia

Right now, the website isn't accurate about things like that. Marriott waits anywhere from 1 - 3 weeks every January so that all activity has posted from the previous year before displaying the correct statistics for the new year. You should see several posts on Flyertalk when the Marriott website finally updates for 2018. For example, I should have a large number of rollover nights, but right now my account shows 0 nights for 2018.

The 15 nights from your Canadian Chase card might zero out until the anniversary date in August after the Marriott system updates for 2018.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by jeanie
Right now, the website isn't accurate about things like that. Marriott waits anywhere from 1 - 3 weeks every January so that all activity has posted from the previous year before displaying the correct statistics for the new year. You should see several posts on Flyertalk when the Marriott website finally updates for 2018. For example, I should have a large number of rollover nights, but right now my account shows 0 nights for 2018.

The 15 nights from your Canadian Chase card might zero out until the anniversary date in August after the Marriott system updates for 2018.
Yes, there is a lag before posting the rollover nights. They do wait for all/most of the year-end postings to filter through (only points from 2017 will show in 2018). So at best, the accounts will be short by the rollover nights until they post. Otherwise, any nights showing now are most likely from actual stays in 2018 or bonus nights from things like a CC.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by yerffej201
how do you get properties to do 2 hour meetings? i can't find any property that will do less than a half day. Also, do folks tell the event coordinators upfront that it's only for the stay credits?
I have never had a property deny me a 1-2 hour meeting. 10 different properties. Keep looking.
Old Jan 4, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: AMEX Plat Marriott Gold HHGold UA Silver
Originally Posted by jeanie

I had noticed that as my late Dec stays posted they said I was FARTHER from requal as Gold, rather than closer. So I called in and was told about the website/app hang up this time of year. It was nice to know Marriott had already granted me Gold even without the required stays . Now I am just sitting waiting for the rest of the stays and meetings to push me up to Plat.
Old Jan 5, 2018, 9:51 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by RogerD408
You can call MR and ask how your account stands and they should be able to tell you the source of all the current nights. I would put a lot of faith in the MR numbers to be accurate.

Also, no more rollovers. Only nights earned in 2017 will rollover to this year. Anything done this year is just the nights, but they should add to the LT nights if you're getting close there.
Good thing I called! The agent said the website still shows 2017 totals and won't update until around the 15th. Credit card nights are posted on the anniversary date, unfortunately.

With respect to the contract, is it fine if it doesn't explicitly state that I'll be rewarded EQNs? I booked the meetings directly with the hotel sales manager and was frank about my plans (and she seemed on board). Here's the wording of the relevant section:
Approximately (10) business days after the conclusion of the Event (provided that the Event is not cancelled and [me] has
otherwise complied with the material terms and conditions of this Agreement), the Hotel will either award Points or submit an award
for airline miles to the Member(s) identified below:
Rewarding Events does not apply to Events booked by or on behalf of any governmental entity, including any federal, state or local
agency or any other governmental body, and hotels may not award Points or airline miles to a government employee (or an
intermediary booking on behalf of a governmental entity) in connection with the Rewarding Events program or otherwise in
connection with planning, scheduling or contracting for an Event.
[Name and MR info]
The number of Points or airline miles to be awarded shall be determined pursuant to the Rewards Program Terms and Conditions,
as in effect at the time of award.
The individual(s) identified above to receive either Points or airline miles may not be changed without such individual(s)’ prior
written consent. By inserting the airline mileage account information, the recipient elects to receive airline miles rather than
Points. All Rewards Program Terms and Conditions apply.

Last edited by pewpew; Jan 5, 2018 at 9:58 am
Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Good thing I called! The agent said the website still shows 2017 totals and won't update until around the 15th. Credit card nights are posted on the anniversary date, unfortunately.

With respect to the contract, is it fine if it doesn't explicitly state that I'll be rewarded EQNs? I booked the meetings directly with the hotel sales manager and was frank about my plans (and she seemed on board). Here's the wording of the relevant section:
That's the standard wording. You're fine.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 7:03 am

That's the usual wording and is not a problem because the property actually doesn't post the EQNs. The property uses the posting tool to post only the MR points, which in turn triggers Marriott to instantly add the 10EQNs. As long as the property uses the posting tool to add the points from Rewarding Events as described in the contract, the EQNs will be fine.
rustykettel likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:10 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
If you book with the instant booking tool, are you guaranteed to receive the Rewarding Events + 10 nights?

And also, is there anything in the contract that states you absolutely have to show up? Thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:21 am

* No, you are not guaranteed to receive Rewarding Events (10 Nights). The property still has to post the meeting (correctly) for you to receive it.
* Depends on the contract (each property seems to be different) but IME, there's nothing specific in mine.
Old Jan 7, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by brokenwindow
If you book with the instant booking tool, are you guaranteed to receive the Rewarding Events + 10 nights?
By rule, yes, but in practice, they'll often not follow procedure and you'd have to chase them to follow the rules. That's why it's much easier to do as described a few posts up and be sure everything is in order before before proceeding.

And also, is there anything in the contract that states you absolutely have to show up? Thanks.
No. And even if there was, few properties would have any way of telling if you did show up unless you made a big deal of it or required yourself to be there to pay. Just handle the contract and payment via email and in advance, and if you would be more comfortable, give them a line similar to what I detailed a few posts up and they'd have no expectation to see you anyway. Think about it, why would they rather you show up? They just want the meeting revenue, and if they don't even have to see you, that's the easiest path of all.
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: Virtuoso Luxury Travel Agent; Bonvoy Titanium Elite; Hilton Diamond
If I get the 75 nights that is required and qualify for Platinum during this month, January, until when will my status last?
Old Jan 11, 2018, 7:14 am

If I get the 75 nights that is required and qualify for Platinum during this month, January, until when will my status last?
You are going to get all 75 nights in Jan?

Your status would be until February 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.