Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Really liking the Spring Hill Suites brand!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really liking the Spring Hill Suites brand!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2011, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by TransCon1
I just didn't expect this lack of discretion from the manager. Maybe that was a misplaced trust in retrospect and I have learned my lesson (maybe this is your point(?)). I do expect people to be able to see what I write on the internet. Obviously, that is the point.
I dont believe there was a lack of discretion, the person who shared your identity was you, you gave them your tripadvisor handle (things on the internet unfortunately have a habit of pop-up at the least expected time) - I'm certain you've read this by now but companies have taken to googling candidates to see what's out there, society is changing

The hotel had every right (and a good sales person would argue a duty) to show the company how well they take care of their guests

Last edited by socrates; Feb 17, 2011 at 4:47 am
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:31 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
there is a thread elsewhere on this forum which discussed the same type of property manager "indiscretion".

The lesson here (for all of us) is that the group / corporation is always going to take precedennce with management over the individual. it has to - we may be here today, gone tomorrow - but they have the opportunity to keep the group/corporation and want to do so. That is where their long term $$$ comes from.

The 2nd learning ( and this is a bigger one for younger people IMO ) is that companies are taking a stronger and less favorable opinion/stance on any kind of social media. As you say, it wasn't your positive review per se that was the problem, if it came into play at all, it was that the company didn't like you sharing opinions of anything on the i'net. Would you spend time doing that at work? Would you share details of company life? Would you talk about your job on facebook? Who knows what they thought...

i am sorry you didn't get the job, it must be particularly disheartening after 40 interviews. But 40 interviews says to me that there is more going on with this company than your SHS post.

hope you find something soon...

Last edited by sophiegirl; Feb 18, 2011 at 1:36 am
Old Feb 18, 2011, 1:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
Thumbs up SHS Baltimore BWI Marshall Airport

Stayed here recently. Not a new concept SHS. Great property, oversized rooms and also one of the nicest staff I have ever encountered in the Marriott system!
Old Feb 25, 2011, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, MR Silver
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
there is a thread elsewhere on this forum which discussed the same type of property manager "indiscretion".

The lesson here (for all of us) is that the group / corporation is always going to take precedennce with management over the individual. it has to - we may be here today, gone tomorrow - but they have the opportunity to keep the group/corporation and want to do so. That is where their long term $$$ comes from.

The 2nd learning ( and this is a bigger one for younger people IMO ) is that companies are taking a stronger and less favorable opinion/stance on any kind of social media. As you say, it wasn't your positive review per se that was the problem, if it came into play at all, it was that the company didn't like you sharing opinions of anything on the i'net. Would you spend time doing that at work? Would you share details of company life? Would you talk about your job on facebook? Who knows what they thought...

i am sorry you didn't get the job, it must be particularly disheartening after 40 interviews. But 40 interviews says to me that there is more going on with this company than your SHS post.

hope you find something soon...

Thanks for the insight. Your points were exactly what I was thinking. It was a real shock for the hiring manager to mention he knew at the end of a two day interview round as we were leaving dinner. I no longer care what he/they think, so I am discussing it here. However, my brain was spinning from the full day of interviews, a grilling dinner, then that and wondering about all the issues you raised (was it a good thing, bad thing, etc.???). At the end of the day, at least I got a hotel upgrade and that's about all I ended up with.

I appreciate your kind wishes. I am very close on a couple of other things -- more geographically desirable also (wasn't thrilled about moving to Baltimore). Its been two years since I was laid off and I miss my RCC and 1K status on United -- in addition to the income and job satisfaction. I am very fortunate that my wife has a really good job and a contract as an SVP at a major entertainment company. But, I really liked my business travel and hope to be "back on the horse" again soon.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:26 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
Does anyone have an updated review on the SHS in Galveston? I can't believe it's the only Marriott hotel there. Older reviews haven't been pleasant.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 5:48 am

Programs: IHG PC - Plat, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Plat
SHS Chapel Hill, NC.
^
not bad location, brand new, nice outside courtyard, significantly less $ than courtyard
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by living near shamu
Does anyone have an updated review on the SHS in Galveston? I can't believe it's the only Marriott hotel there. Older reviews haven't been pleasant.
I'm actually interested in that too. I stayed there in 2008 and was really unimpressed and am curious as to if it's gotten better.
Old Aug 7, 2011, 2:51 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
New vs. Old

In reading the thread, several mentions of new vs. old concept...is there a resource that identifies the new SHS? Have a reservation at SHS RSW and the pictures appear to indicate old version. Have to admit, I am a TV snob, and really prefer not to stay at a property without flat screen in the room and not just in the lobby/common area.

Interesting what are dealbreakers to us FTers, conversely to several upstream, I really don't care about breakfast
Old Aug 7, 2011, 4:10 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by nycatl
In reading the thread, several mentions of new vs. old concept...is there a resource that identifies the new SHS? Have a reservation at SHS RSW and the pictures appear to indicate old version. Have to admit, I am a TV snob, and really prefer not to stay at a property without flat screen in the room and not just in the lobby/common area.

Interesting what are dealbreakers to us FTers, conversely to several upstream, I really don't care about breakfast
Usually, you can look at the hotel's page on marriott.com and figure out from the "room details" page if it is an old style or not. Also - be aware that a property may have flat screen TVs but no hi-def programming. The worst offenders (mostly in Marriott brands, it seems) won't even allow you to adjust the aspect ratio so you have to watch fuzzy(-ier) standard-def TV in a distorted wide screen mode.

SHS _used_ to be the bright spot of a rather dim group of limited service hotel brands in the Marriott family. They have announced upgrades to both the SHS and Courtyard brands but seem to be taking years and years rolling them out. The inconsistencies in the SHS brand have now added them to my "avoid" (or at least "research first") list as my last couple of stays (old style properties) were disappointing and offset the positive experiences I have had at the better properties.

Last edited by keeton; Aug 7, 2011 at 4:23 pm
Old Aug 7, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Club, National Executive
Anyone know if the SHS in Seattle Downtown is a new concept? Going to be there for 2 weeks in Nov. Is it a far or unsafe walk from the convention center?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.1MM, CX Diam 1.0MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC, MGM Pearl
SHS Minneapolis St. Paul Airport

I just learned that the Cambria Suites Bloomington, MN property was terminated by Choice and now is a Springhill Suites. This property was just barely peaking (had opened for less than half a year I believe when I was there last) and my stay was almost immaculate. Assuming SHS doesn't do anything drastic, this is also another property worth recommending. I might be headed here in the next couple of weeks. It is now rebranded/renamed Springhill Suites Minneapolis St. Paul Airport.

(Looks like there are 3 other SHS properties in this Minneapolis/Bloomington/Eagan/Eden Prairie area).

Last edited by mjcewl1284; Aug 8, 2011 at 3:04 am Reason: Clarification upon actual Marriott search
Old Aug 8, 2011, 1:55 pm

Programs: United, Marriott, Starwood
I have also become a fan of the SHS brand after excellent stays at the Anchorage University Lake and Dallas Las Colinas-Irving locations. I am a pretty easy guy to please and the 10 points/$ keeps me at SHS rather than a Residence Inn. However, I still avoid the older SHS properties.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:40 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I am usually quite fond of SHS, but I stayed in the single most rundown SHS this week I've ever seen. The people were great. It was clean. But it was a pit. Orlando, Universal Drive.

The closet had not door. It was more or less a rod that was practically over the bed. The desk clerk said they get many complaints about the "closet" set-up. The furniture was old and worn. At least the bed was comfortable. One of the TVs was old, the other new. One of the two elevators was out most of my two night stay.

Supposedly it's getting redone in the Fall. I'd stay there again, but not until that happens.
Old May 18, 2015, 9:06 pm

Programs: alaska air, united, marriott
Saw a question about breakfasts at Springhill Suites recently. Stayed at a Springhills Suite off International Drive in Orlando a couple weeks ago. Breakfast included a skillet dish combining sausage, potatoes, onions, and peppers which surpassed anything I have ever had for breakfast in a full service lounge. I am not really a breakfast person, but I had seconds on this dish! If its standard throughout the system, it really is something to consider. I have well over 2000 nights at Marriott - mostly in full service properties. But this was a very nice surprise (almost as big a surprise as being put into a Presidential Suite at the Gaylord Orlando Resort and finding that it had an upscale lifecycle in the bedroom.)
Old May 20, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: United, Marriott, Ritz-Carlton, Hilton
Older SHS Miami Airport South

I had a bad experience recently at the SHS Miami Airport South. The hotel looked great on the outside and inside but my room smelled so strongly of cleaning fluids it was almost unbearable. All my clothes took on the smell of the room and it was an uncomfortable stay. It looked like the air conditioner vent was completely covered in black mold too. What I was unable to determine on my own was whether this was just a bad housekeeping experience or were they trying to cover up other smells in the room. I responded to the managers thank you email about the problem I encountered but she has not responded. This was my first time staying in an older pre-aqua SHS. I prefer SHS when I get the chance but will start checking the age of the hotel from now on. There are so many other Marriott's in the area you should have a backup plan if think you need to stay at this hotel. I eventually moved to the airport Courtyard for my last night stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.