Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Really liking the Spring Hill Suites brand!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Really liking the Spring Hill Suites brand!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
The new prototype photos look wonderful, but there was nothing wrong with the old prototype either. It was standard Marriott fare in the same vein as its RI/FI/TPS/CY sister properties. 10 points per night, free breakfast, larger rooms. What's not to like?
I don't mind the older SHS properties either.I find them functional and a good value. I try to avoid Courtyard-the no breakfast keeps me away unless there is no alternative.

When Marriott changed the earnings on RIs a while back to 5 pts per dollar they lost my business there. If I need a full kitchen suite, I use Staybridge. If a larger suite is necessary,I will try for a MVCI.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
It only took Marriott 15 years (!), but SpringHill Suites is now the preferred non-full service brand in my opinion, as Courtyard slips to "oh yeah, we have that brand too" status.

If you have a CY and SHS at the same intersection, and both are updated to the current spec, there is no possible reason to choose the CY over the SHS. At SpringHill you get bigger rooms and free breakfast, and virtually every other comparison point is the same.

SpringHill's breakfast isn't as extensive as a Staybridge Suites and doesn't have any "signature" items like a Holiday Inn Express, but it's quite adequate.
+1 on pretty much everything you've said. I've done 88 nights this year, all at the SHS except for 14 at a Germany Marriott and 2 at the FI. I love the way the rooms are set up. I can sit/relax on the sofa in the living area and watch TV or work on the CPU and I don't have to try to get comfortable on a bed. Plus for longer stays the Fridge is great to put fruit, etc in.

My only gripe is the breakfast but it is because I've been at the SHS about 8 of the last 10 weeks and I'm just tired of it. When I haven't stayed for a while it is quite good and I'll eat everyday. My last stay I just picked up some Yogurt and fruit and threw it in the fridge.

Plus as others have mentioned their is plenty of room. If you want to have some people over for drinks to discuss the day you aren't too crowded and everyone can spread out.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The new Springhill Suites design is very good for working.

I like these hotels- and often the locations in the USA are very convenient depending where you need to go.

One of my colleagues far prefers the new Springhill Suites over full service Marriott/Westin/etc. I am not sure that he is wrong.

For whatever reason, it seems a number of owner/operators of Springhill Suites are almost always on site at the properties (I have met a few of them)- this is great as they obviously take a lot of pride in their operations- and it reflects in the way they work.

Normally the price/value equation is excellent also.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by freeflyin
When Marriott changed the earnings on RIs a while back to 5 pts per dollar they lost my business there.
FYI - there wasn't a change for RI's, upon joining the MR program the brand established their pts per dollar at 5 however they unlike compset hotels do not have a limit on the number of nights your eligible to earn credit on
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:08 am

Programs: US Gold, Avis CHM, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Silver
I'll chime in to agree with most of what was already posted. I do like the SHS brand quite a bit.

Better than the Courtyard, because they offer free breakfast.

Better than Residence Inn because they 10pts/$ instead of 5.

Better than FS Marriott and Ren beause they don't charge for internet, parking, and the other assorted ripoffs.

Generally speaking, the rooms are just a bit nicer and larger than Fairfield.

I still do a lot of stays at Residence Inns because I like the room layouts and I like the happy hour food. However, recently since many of the Residence Inns have cut back their happy hour service, I've been doing more stays at SHS and (gasp) Hampton Inns as well.

I'll continue to avoid Courtyards like the plague until they start to offer breakfast for plats.

My only gripe about SHS is that a few of the properties are a bit run down, so it does help to know which ones are nicer.

And last, this is more of an observation than a complaint. In my opinion, the use of the word "Suites" in the name of the brand is just a bit of journalistic license. From what I have seen, most of their "suites" are a pretty standard size room with a half wall between the sitting area and the sleeping area. Not quite what I typically envision when I think of a suite. Not a big deal, just a comment.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by jredknapp11
Great brand... try out the new one in downtown Chicago, very nice, also had some good experiences in South Florida as well. I believe the original concept SHS's are in the South Florida area, 5 were built about 10 years ago as a trial run for the brand.
Totally agree. The one in downtown Chicago is PERFECT for families very good (not great) location, and new, clean and airy...as a bonus, it's category 5 so I can use my Marriott Visa cert. there! ^
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM; IHG Spire; HH Diamond; Marriott Gold (UA); National Executive Elite
There's a new one (approx 12 months old) in Naples, FL which is simply stellar.

I'm a fan of the Hilton Garden Inns, and don't much like either FF or Hampton Inns, but I was blown away by how good this place was.

I would point out that Courtyard seems to be having a brand-wide refresh, so things may change yet again in the next year or two.

Last edited by Motorskills; Jul 19, 2010 at 11:04 pm Reason: typo
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:21 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Motorskills
I would point out that Courtyard seems to be having a brand-wide refresh, so things may change yet again in the next year or two.
Courtyard refresh has been widely discussed here in the last year or so. Much of the refresh appears to deal with the lobby/restaurant area and the reviews here have been mixed. As you can see from some of the posts in this thread, much of the antagonism towards CY here is generated by the breakfast policy which makes CY the only Marriott brand which neither provides breakfast (at the lounge or otherwise) as a plat/gold elite benefit or included without additional charge as part of the room rental. As of now, nothing in the refresh deals with this source of unhappiness.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
Courtyard refresh has been widely discussed here in the last year or so. Much of the refresh appears to deal with the lobby/restaurant area and the reviews here have been mixed. As you can see from some of the posts in this thread, much of the antagonism towards CY here is generated by the breakfast policy which makes CY the only Marriott brand which neither provides breakfast (at the lounge or otherwise) as a plat/gold elite benefit or included without additional charge as part of the room rental. As of now, nothing in the refresh deals with this source of unhappiness.
I agree. The lack of breakfast is a show stopper. Also, many of the properties in the have the air conditioning blowing directly across the desk. That does not make for a comfortable time on the laptop in the Summer. Even with the current Courtyard promotion, I doubt I'll be tempted to stay.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
It only took Marriott 15 years (!), but SpringHill Suites is now the preferred non-full service brand in my opinion, as Courtyard slips to "oh yeah, we have that brand too" status.

If you have a CY and SHS at the same intersection, and both are updated to the current spec, there is no possible reason to choose the CY over the SHS. At SpringHill you get bigger rooms and free breakfast, and virtually every other comparison point is the same.

SpringHill's breakfast isn't as extensive as a Staybridge Suites and doesn't have any "signature" items like a Holiday Inn Express, but it's quite adequate.
I agree 100%
Old Jul 15, 2010, 5:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by sophiegirl
... no consistency in i'net speeds - some are great, some not.
The FI I'm in must seriously have only a 3000 kbit/sec incoming line in for all their rooms; it's totally unusable from say 7pm to 1am. I stay there so much I've gotten 3 surveys about the place, and the only complaint I have is the sucky internet.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I've stayed in a few new SHS over the past few months, and a couple others that had the new redo. IMO, the best of the new hotels that I've been to is Winston-Salem SHS Hanes Mall. Get a room facing the back (woods) and it's quite serene. Pittsburgh Bakery Square is a new property with the new rooms, as are

One of my favorite features of the redo are the very useful tables in front of the sofa. It's a desk. No, it's a coffee table. No, they're eating tables. These might be cheap tables, but they're perfect in function for a hotel room.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: Marriott, United, Enterprise
Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I agree 100%
Same here. Why should I stay in a Courtyard?
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle

If you have a CY and SHS at the same intersection, and both are updated to the current spec, there is no possible reason to choose the CY over the SHS. At SpringHill you get bigger rooms and free breakfast, and virtually every other comparison point is the same....
Exactly how I feel.

Bruce
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Greg P.
I'll continue to avoid Courtyards like the plague until they start to offer breakfast for plats.
Indeed. ^

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.