Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Premier Signature Visa Rewards Card

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Premier Signature Visa Rewards Card

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 4:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, and a mug on the wall at the local brewpub
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
MR Premier Visa? I don't leave home without it. I charge everything on it because I'm trying to get 3 million (now 2.5 million) points as fast as possible, along with the 1000 nights for lifetime status. With elite rollover nights, the limiting factor will increasingly become number of MR points. Heck, I got 102 rollover nights from last year. So now every single night I log this year will roll over to next year. That's going to make getting 1000 nights a whole lot easier.

Username, I used to have the SPG AmEx card when I aimed the bulk of my business at SPG. I now aim the bulk of my business at Marriott, so it only makes sense to have the MR Premier Visa. Even if you don't primarily use Marriott, the card is a great deal. Guaranteed silver and one hotel night for $65.
Actually, I think the lifetime plat is now 2 million, not 2.5 million. That is only 2000 points per stay, which should be easy to achieve, using this card, megabonus, gift cards, etc.

Given that the lifetime totals are more easily achievable than the nights, if I were you I would never use the mr premier visa for everyday purchases at 1 point per dollar. It's great for Marriott purchases (stays, gift cards, etc.) at 5 points per dollar. It is even okay for restaurant and travel purchases at 2 points per dollar. But it isn't so hot at one point per dollar purchases.

Given that you could get 2 cents per dollar on a Schwab card, it only makes sense to use your MR premier visa for everyday purchases if you value the points at higher than 2 cents per point, which is a bit rich. It still makes sense to use the SPG, though, since airline points are often worth 2 cents per dollar.

My humble opinion only,

bd
Old Jan 17, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Boomdog, you are correct, sir! Thanks much for the information.
Link for those who want to confirm: http://www.marriottrewardsinsiders.m...msg14000008084

I don't know what my current totals are, but I know that I had more than 1M points last year. It will be a cakewalk at this point to get to 2M vice 1000 nights.

That was a total game changer for me. I'll continue to use MR Visa for all Marriott stays but that's it.
Now I'll have to look for a new everyday rewards card. I've got the USAA World Mastercard, but I'm sure that there's something out there that's better.

Again, thanks Boomdog. ^
Old Jan 18, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Boomdog, I got my totals this morning.
Member since 2002
536 nights
1,206,980 points

I'll probably log another 150 nights this year, all of which should roll over to next year. For that reason, I think that I'd be better off using the MR card for all of my purchases in order to maximize my points.
Besides, there's no telling whether or not they'll raise the points back up to 3M.
Old Jan 19, 2010, 11:54 am

I just received both the Premier Signature Visa and regular Visa offers via snail mail...

Premier - 50,000 points (there is an ad right on this website that says 30k points), $65 annual fee, 5 per $1 at Marriott, 14.24% variable APR
Regular - 22,500 points (the ad on this website says 20k points), $30 annual fee, waived the first year, 3 per $1 at Marriott, 13.24% variable APR

I hate to open yet another credit card I won't use much (especially one that has an annual fee) but 50,000 points plus the free night each year seems like a pretty good deal. Unfortunately, I can't use the card for my Marriott stays since I have to use my corporate Amex

I guess I received the slightly better offers through the mail - I'm wondering if there are even better offers you can get than the 50,000 bonus points? Do you think I can get the annual fee waived the first year? What do you think - should I go for it and open a Premier card????

edit: just called for my Lifetime Status goals and WOAH are they low - I must have had a different account before that I no longer have the details for At this rate I will never earn Lifetime status - how can I have earned Platinum the past 3 years and have such a low number...

280,356 points
184 nights
since Feb 2005

Last edited by 5.9LITRE; Jan 19, 2010 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 19, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold,Marriott, US,AA.DL, AGR, Hyatt
I received a snail mail offer for the MR visa but not the MR Premier Signature
Rewards card.

Any links for the 25 30 or 50,000 points mentioned above? Or the first year no fee premier card?
Old Jan 22, 2010, 4:49 am

iflyjetz -

In your particular case, you should hit the 800 nights requirement for lifetime gold in Jan 2011. It seems that the most important goal would be to hit the points on the same timescale. You now need 1.6 million points to get LT gold, which means that you must earn 393,000 points in the next 150 stays, or about 2620 per stay.

With your 50% plat bonus, and 5% marriott cc bonus, and assuming that you stay at a hotel with the full 10 points/dollar points credit, that means you get 20 points per dollar spent, and you need to average $130/night spend on your hotel stays to get the points for LT gold by 1/2011. This number of points goes down if you get Megabonus points

Then, to get LT plat, you only need 400,000 more points and 200 stays.

So it is your call. If you are staying at lower price hotels, it might make sense to charge everyday on your Marriott CC, but if you are staying at full service, > 130 $/night, you'll get there without it.

boomdog

Boomdog, I got my totals this morning.
Member since 2002
536 nights
1,206,980 points

I'll probably log another 150 nights this year, all of which should roll over to next year. For that reason, I think that I'd be better off using the MR card for all of my purchases in order to maximize my points.
Besides, there's no telling whether or not they'll raise the points back up to 3M.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 1:18 pm

i'm about to pull the trigger on the 50k bonus point, $65 annual fee visa signature card b/c that is too many points to pass up. unfortunately my company requires amex corporate cards for expenses so don't expect to use the card that much.

anyone know if it's possible to get the first year fee waived? assume i'll have to call the number and see if there is a non-robot to talk to instead of applying online. just found it interesting that the OP said he got a 30k point and waived annual fee offer and i have a 50k point and no waiving. i wonder if there are any better deals?
Old Jan 24, 2010, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, United, American
Can someone please post the details on how you were able to get the $65 Annual fee waived?

I called the application telephone number posted on the website (1-800-509-6942) and was unsuccessful in speaking with 2 different CSRs.
Old Jan 25, 2010, 3:23 am

I'll probably log another 150 nights this year, all of which should roll over to next year.
What leads you to believe they'll offer roll-over nights again this year? Was there some announcement on this that I missed?
Old Jan 25, 2010, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Counsellor
What leads you to believe they'll offer roll-over nights again this year? Was there some announcement on this that I missed?
Yep, there was - confirmed by the concierge. We will have rollover again, so nights over qualifying levels will count double for lifetime status again.

However, you can't double rollover - so if your rollover nights for last year were more than enough to hit your qualifying level this year, it is only *additional* nights stayed this year that will roll over.

bd
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:32 am

Programs: AAdvantage - Lifetime Plat, MVP, SPG - gold, Marriot - silver
Question Problem applying/getting status

Hi,

I applied over the phone yesterday for the Marriott Premiere Visa. As i was going through my mail this morning I realized I have 4 different offers, each with differing amounts of miles. I called back to confirm which offer i was signing up for, since i didn't recall being asked for a promo code. Unbelievably, after 3 calls to Chase and Marriott rewards, not one person could tell me, and my final call ended with a Chase employee telling me I won't know until I receive my cards and it could be any of the offers....wow.

Does anyone have a suggestion or phone number that might help me confirm that I'm signed up for the 50k mile promo?

Last edited by thezinfan; Jan 26, 2010 at 8:22 am
Old Jan 26, 2010, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jbart74
Just arrive in time for christmas shopping, ALL of it, and boy am I happy! I also couldn't believe the limit on the card was so high, especially in this economy. Not to mention 15 EQ nights, 1 free stay per year, 2 for 1 golf cert, and 30,000 points. Also, of course, $65 AF waived for first year.

Anyone else excited about this one?
Chase is still pretty loose with overall credit availability. I've noticed they've recently tightened up on my NEW accounts, but they keep approving them. I finally received a phone message from a real human at Chase - inviting me to call back if I wanted to shift credit lines around.

Yes, MR Visa is a good card. I only use it at the hotels but I figure the $65 Cat 5 night is generally a good deal. The last 2-3 years I've used it in Washington D.C. for peak dates in late spring when Priceliners were spending around $100 to get a decent room in the city. (Marriott EQN-eligible rates were in the $250-300 range.)
Old Jun 12, 2010, 1:56 pm

I know Marriott won't give the category 1-4 sign up certificate if you've had a marriott care before and received the certificate. Does anyone know if the 50,000 bonus points will post if you've had a marriott card before?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 8:39 am

question on Marriott Premier Card

We've had the marriott signature card for years with the 10 elite nights. Recently (2 months ago) swithched to the premier in April. We didn't get the 15 elite nights. They said we would need to wait for our sign up time next April. Based on what I've read on this forum, is this true?
Old Jun 13, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by happy2traveler202
I know Marriott won't give the category 1-4 sign up certificate if you've had a marriott care before and received the certificate. Does anyone know if the 50,000 bonus points will post if you've had a marriott card before?
What you have explained above does not make sense, since the FIRST year is the category 1-4 free night certificate, and all SUBSEQUENT years is a category 1-5 free night certificate. So if I were you, I would call them and ask why you would not get SOME KIND OF FREE NIGHT CERTIFICATE, even if you have had a Marriott Rewards card previously. Also, you might ask them where in the small print it says that you will not get a free night certificate if you have had a Marriott Rewards card before, meaning push them to prove their own rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.