Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Marriott | Rewards
Reload this Page >

Marriott Premier Signature Visa Rewards Card

Old Dec 13, 2009, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, HH, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Platinum, UA, DL, US

Just arrive in time for christmas shopping, ALL of it, and boy am I happy! I also couldn't believe the limit on the card was so high, especially in this economy. Not to mention 15 EQ nights, 1 free stay per year, 2 for 1 golf cert, and 30,000 points. Also, of course, $65 AF waived for first year.

Anyone else excited about this one?
Old Dec 14, 2009, 5:54 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jbart74
Also, of course, $65 AF waived for first year.
This is a new one for me. AFAIK, Chase never used to waive the 1st year annual fee for their Premier card.

I do still have my Premier card as the annual fee is less than the Cat. 1-5 e-cert you will get annually after your 1st year. But will say that I don't actually use the card much anymore (outside of my Marriott stays of course.) But the initial bonus points for the card are definitely nice to have.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 8:53 am

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I do still have my Premier card as the annual fee is less than the Cat. 1-5 e-cert you will get annually after your 1st year. But will say that I don't actually use the card much anymore (outside of my Marriott stays of course.) But the initial bonus points for the card are definitely nice to have.
+1

The annual stay cert is great, as are the 5 points/$ and the 15 elite nights, but I don't use the card for any normal spending.

Other rewards cards seem to give more bang for the buck for general spending. However, if you're transferring as many Marriott points to airline miles through the travel packages, it's basically the same as getting airline miles - which can be a decent return. A pretty good argument could be made that the 2 points/$ on restaurants and airlines is a pretty good reward rate.
Old Dec 14, 2009, 11:42 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K, UA 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Avis Pref Plus, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by tvetter01
+1

The annual stay cert is great, as are the 5 points/$ and the 15 elite nights, but I don't use the card for any normal spending.

Other rewards cards seem to give more bang for the buck for general spending. However, if you're transferring as many Marriott points to airline miles through the travel packages, it's basically the same as getting airline miles - which can be a decent return. A pretty good argument could be made that the 2 points/$ on restaurants and airlines is a pretty good reward rate.
+1

I plan to get the card after Jan 1, so those 15 elite nights will count in 2010 and help me retain the Gold status I'll earn by the end of 2009. I'll continue to use my UA Mileage Plus Platinum card for most other charges, since the double miles on UA / *A tickets, groceries, gasoline, restaurants, and home improvement stores really add up, and the EQM are invaluable to retaining UA status. But the Marriott Premier card offers double miles on car rentals, which the UA card does not. So I'll shift those charges and Marriott charges to the Marriott card.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 10:13 am
Suspended

Programs: United 1K, HHonors Gold, MR Gold
Originally Posted by tvetter01
A pretty good argument could be made that the 2 points/$ on restaurants and airlines is a pretty good reward rate.
I've registered my Marriott Visa with iDine/Hilton Hhonors, so for the few restaurants nearby that are part of iDine, I get both 2x Marriott points plus Hilton Honors points.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold,Marriott, US,AA.DL, AGR, Hyatt
Is the waived fee for the first year and the free stay Cat 1-4 real?
I have not seen any prmotion for this.
Old Dec 17, 2009, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by catamaran
Is the waived fee for the first year and the free stay Cat 1-4 real?
The Cat 1-4 certificate upon signup is part of the credit card terms and conditions, so that's certainly real (every subsequent year, it's a cat 1-5 cert).

Chase has been known to waive the first year's annual fee on some of their cards, so that doesn't sound all that far-fetched.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got an offer, in a very nicely presented package, and it is 50,000 points upon approval.

Cat 4 certificates initially and Cat 5 each year after.

$65/year.

I am not one of those who are that crazy about earning points and churning credit cards. Have been using the SPG card for years and happy with it. This one just seems to good to turn down - even if I don't use it and just pay the fee every year. Still a good deal...

Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
I applied for this card and was denied. I have never been refused a card before - my credit score is quite good, almost 800. I was trying to get it for the VISA promotion they had in the latter part of last year - for some reason, the cards I carry and only MC and AMEX.

Is it just really tough to get this card?
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Hi,

I'm just wondering if this card has any sort of bonus for different spending thresholds like the Hilton Surpass $40k spend = Diamond, SPG $30k spend = Gold, etc. Anything like that for this Marriott card?

Thanks!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:43 pm

Programs: MR Plat, PC Plat
The card gives you 15 nights, but as of now, no extra bonuses for spending aside from points.

There was a thread that suggested they may be implementing a bonus of 1 EQ night per $3000 of spending.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 4:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Marriott Platinum, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat
Thanks for the info. I was aware that it gives you the 15 nights, but I don't stay enough at Marriotts for that to really mean anything for me anyway. I think I'll sign up for one and just keep it for the annual free room certificate... it seems like the $65 fee is worth the cat 5 that I'll get after the first year & the 30k points.

Thanks again!
Old Jan 17, 2010, 7:00 am

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold
I got an offer, in a very nicely presented package, and it is 50,000 points upon approval.

Cat 4 certificates initially and Cat 5 each year after.

$65/year.

I got the same one. For $65/year, you get a free room, so sounds like a pretty good deal to me. I too don't like to churn (and don't), but i stay at Marriott quite a bit, so this might be a good one.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 9:09 am
AMA

Originally Posted by ramalama8
I applied for this card and was denied. I have never been refused a card before - my credit score is quite good, almost 800. I was trying to get it for the VISA promotion they had in the latter part of last year - for some reason, the cards I carry and only MC and AMEX.

Is it just really tough to get this card?
You should receive a letter explaining why you were declined. Would be interesting to know what kind of 'excuse' is listed.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 1:59 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
MR Premier Visa? I don't leave home without it. I charge everything on it because I'm trying to get 3 million (now 2.5 million) points as fast as possible, along with the 1000 nights for lifetime status. With elite rollover nights, the limiting factor will increasingly become number of MR points. Heck, I got 102 rollover nights from last year. So now every single night I log this year will roll over to next year. That's going to make getting 1000 nights a whole lot easier.

Username, I used to have the SPG AmEx card when I aimed the bulk of my business at SPG. I now aim the bulk of my business at Marriott, so it only makes sense to have the MR Premier Visa. Even if you don't primarily use Marriott, the card is a great deal. Guaranteed silver and one hotel night for $65.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.