Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2015, 11:26 pm

Any updates on what type of suites are being given to Plats (if NOT using Suite nights)? I am wanting to book a vacation and that influences whether I will get two rooms or one.
Old Jan 24, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Several here and there, but not as many during my road warrior days!
We stayed a few weeks ago and was not given an upgrade the first night. The next morning we requested an upgrade and was moved to a Mega Room which was a nice bump up. They no longer upgrade to the residential suites.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL Ham Samich
Originally Posted by sonomawine
We stayed a few weeks ago and was not given an upgrade the first night. The next morning we requested an upgrade and was moved to a Mega Room which was a nice bump up. They no longer upgrade to the residential suites.
Oh damn... please do elaborate. I haven't been back to the property in almost a year and I was really hoping to snag one of those
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:05 am

Originally Posted by RFDMinnesota
Oh damn... please do elaborate. I haven't been back to the property in almost a year and I was really hoping to snag one of those
The new managment seems to have decided that the apartments in tower two no longer are in the platinum upgrade pool. You can however still get one of those if you are using an SNA, but only the smallest type (Spectacular apartment).

I also learned (the hard way) that the Fantastic suites, which also can be choosen for the SNA, now stops at 12th floor. Above that floor, those suites are now called Oasis suites. Only the Oasis suites have a large, wrap around balcony. We stayet at in a Fantastic suite at the 8th floor, and we were somewhat affected by noise from the pool and ventilation area.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:13 am

Programs: UA Gold, DL Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by heakja
The new managment seems to have decided that the apartments in tower two no longer are in the platinum upgrade pool. You can however still get one of those if you are using an SNA, but only the smallest type (Spectacular apartment).

I also learned (the hard way) that the Fantastic suites, which also can be choosen for the SNA, now stops at 12th floor. Above that floor, those suites are now called Oasis suites. Only the Oasis suites have a large, wrap around balcony. We stayet at in a Fantastic suite at the 8th floor, and we were somewhat affected by noise from the pool and ventilation area.
Just finished a stay and had a similar experience. 7th Floor Fantastic Suite which is a great room, just a little low for noise. But overall it beats no upgrade in my book.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by 248N8
Just finished a stay and had a similar experience. 7th Floor Fantastic Suite which is a great room, just a little low for noise. But overall it beats no upgrade in my book.
I agree. And I actually liked the lay-out of the low floor Fantastic suites, because they do not have that see-through bathroom/shower walls. But I am not sure if all the Fantastic suites are the same, because our on the 8th had a accessible/HC sign under the door bell (but no other "accessible" signs in the suite, as far as I could tell.)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Gold and Current Platinum, Hilton Gold
Any recent stay reviews?

Originally Posted by SAN 1K
Overall I enjoyed this hotel. It was off-season and weekdays, which was probably better for me as I don't care for crowds and parties. The room was certainly showing some wear and tear. Also the working desk in this suite had a very bad location facing a solid wall. I prefer to have the working desk have a good view, but I guess this hotel isn't really oriented to people working.
Wanted to get any updated thoughts / stay reviews for this property the last few months? Was considering a stay for me and my girlfriend over Memorial Day weekend, but was a little concerned based on these comments that the property may be a bit tired or needing of a refresh? Anyone stayed recently that can comment on their experience?

Thanks!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:42 pm
BCH

I was speaking with one of their several W Insiders who had mentioned that they will be undergoing a refresh over the summer - which is their slow season. I know it's too late for your Memorial Day visit, but the hotel is not worn down at all - just slightly dated by the hip W standards.

I don't love Fort Lauderdale, but I do really like this property. We stayed here in January because the W in Miami Beach was 3 times more expensive for a last-minute booking, but ended up LOVING our stay here. We've come back two more times in the past 3 months. The staff are great, and we had a wonderful time.

Originally Posted by Nash_Andrew
Wanted to get any updated thoughts / stay reviews for this property the last few months? Was considering a stay for me and my girlfriend over Memorial Day weekend, but was a little concerned based on these comments that the property may be a bit tired or needing of a refresh? Anyone stayed recently that can comment on their experience?

Thanks!
Old May 25, 2015, 10:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I would stay away from his property due to lackluster Platinum recognition.

Hotel is pretty empty considering various room types were available for sale at check-in around 11:30PM. Wonderful/Spectacular/Fabulous/Corner/Mega and suites as well.

Was told at check-in under new management, Platinum only get upgrade next room type. I'm currently in Spectacular despite all other room types available.

Amenity is continental breakfast or an umbrella or the points.

Old May 26, 2015, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
I would stay away from his property due to lackluster Platinum recognition.

Hotel is pretty empty considering various room types were available for sale at check-in around 11:30PM. Wonderful/Spectacular/Fabulous/Corner/Mega and suites as well.

Was told at check-in under new management, Platinum only get upgrade next room type. I'm currently in Spectacular despite all other room types available.

Amenity is continental breakfast or an umbrella or the points.

That' s absurd. Please file a complaint to spg (ie call/tweet ) so that management gets this right. You might even get a nice, standard select suite if you are still there!
Old May 27, 2015, 12:14 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]

Wrote to SPG customer service. Received an email next afternoon from hotel offering me the Oasis Suite. Shouldn't have to be this way. They should take notes from Bal Harbour on Platinum recognition.
Old May 28, 2015, 12:47 am

Programs: DL Ham Samich
I stayed in once in March, and twice in April, and every time I used a single SNA for a reservation, no matter the length, and had once one SNA redeemed. Result? 3 redeemed SNAs for 3 "Marvelous Ocean view suites" 1. was 1K, 2Q. 2. Was same. 3. Was a corner one with 1 K, 1 Q and 1 FS. VERY STRANGE layout to that room. I want to say it was 2002?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:20 am

W Fort Lauderdale has just announced what appears to be a full renovation.

"Meyer Davis Studio has been tasked with redesigning the 147 luxury condo residences located in the West Tower, while also revamping the W's public spaces, amenities, and guest rooms. This will also include the oceanfront pool area, art fitness center, and its many meeting and conference spaces."

Source: http://www.browardpalmbeach.com/news...revamp-7052583

Note: I've read a couple of different articles on this topic. None seems to have any dates.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:31 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Bonvoy (Gold)
Do you know the dates for the reno?
Old Jun 21, 2015, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
This might be the second Starwood property I've been tossed out of in the past year - first the Diplomat closed, and now this? Yes, when is this going to happen since I'm sure those of us holding rooms on points might be the first to go to make room for paying customers in the remaining tower - hope I'm wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.