Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Fort Lauderdale [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2009, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
The Spectacular Flat is what is on the SPG5SU rate plan for this resort. That makes it standard to SPG. Now, they may come to their senses some day and realize that they have the wrong suite type attached to this rate plan, but right now, it is what it is.
Hey William... if you are just sitting there with nothing to do in the near future... might you be able to provide us with an update?

Thanks,

d.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 3:01 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Golden Toque
Hey William... if you are just sitting there with nothing to do in the near future... might you be able to provide us with an update?

Thanks,

d.
The same Spectacular Flat that I referenced is still on the SPG5SU rate plan for this property and it seems that ALCO's experience confirms that they are indeed using these to upgrade incoming Platinum members to it.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Nov 8, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Decent W experience - will be back

Just been to the W ft Lauderdale and overall very impressed

A few +'s and -'s..

+
room (given oceanview plat upgrade) excellent apart form the "chairs" on the balconies which were very worn and dirty. Great bathroom
location decent
efficient staff
great bar and love the pool tables

-
pool area very "wow" but not very pratical in my book. Very hard to have any kind of swim
extras expensive
beach - not staffed properly and just 8 umbrellas which you pay far too much money for. Here W south beach has another offering...

Positive overall^
Old Feb 28, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Here at the W Ft. Lauderdale on a beautiful sunny day. Had on night reserved on points and a second night using cash and points. The hotel had pre-blocked me into a Mega room. I had to ask if any suites were available and was given a Fantastic Suite on a low floor overlooking the pool. The suite is nicely decorated and the bed was comfortable as per the usual W standard.

The in room dining menu had a very limited menu for vegetarians but the things they did have were of a good quality. The service was also friendly and efficient.

I asked for a late checkout which was granted but as I had two different reservations the late checkout was entered in the first reservations so there was a bit of haggling to get it entered into the second (cash + points) reservation.

Overall it has been a good stay so far.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 10:17 am

Programs: Starwood Plat, United 1K, AVIS FIRST, Hertz Gold
Upgraded

Spent last weekend (Thur-Sun) at the W. Was upgraded to a large suite. Included:
2 Bathrooms.
Spa Tub
Full Kitchen with Island
Reading Room
Living Room
3 TV's
Southern Facing Balcony

The hotel was really nice but eating anyplace in this area is super expensive. It was also really cold so we didn't get a chance to really enjoy the pool because it was too cold to get in and out. The service was great however and I would love to come back when it was warmer, and I had a stock of snacks with me. Overall, one of the best upgrades I've had and a great hotel.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Miler, Bonvoy Titanium, occasional AA Gold
My experience: need to sweat the little things

Background: A 2-night business trip, worked very long hours so really was only at the hotel at night.

The good: Upgraded to a huge, corner beautiful 2-BR flat (xx09), I think a Marvelous flat. In the back building away from the beach, with full kitchen, LR, DR, big balconies, (distant) view of ocean, great view of intercoastal, no view of pool area.

Bad: Seemed to ignore the little things. First night, the clock didn't work so no way to tell time during the night. Since I arrived at 2am (due to flight delay) I didn't wait for them to send another one. Next day they sent another one, but the radio didn't work! Signal meter said it had good reception, but no sound of any kind. So no clock radio either night. Also no in-room door room service hanging card so I couldn't order breakfast either day, and no time to order breakfast in the restaurant. Also, too late I noticed no towels in the shower the second day. Luckily there were some in the tub so I used them. As others have commented, food is *VERY* expensive, but the restaurant food and service were very good.

Other: Pool is imaginative but totally impractical for anything other than standing around holding cocktails. Cutesy names for everything ("Wheels" for the valet) annoy me. The property is really nice though, and the staff do seem eager to please. I probably would have chosen Westin first but for some reason W was much cheaper on the nights I stayed.

Overall: B

I received an email the day after I checked out, saying they had charged me an additional charge for a "Munchie Box". I assume that's the W hip term for a mini-bar. This is a HUGE pet peeve of mine because it places the burden on me to call the hotel and correct THEIR error! I downgraded to B.

Last edited by 60614; Mar 24, 2010 at 5:15 am Reason: Update
Old Apr 1, 2010, 12:17 am
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
WOW! Best Starwood Stay in 5 years!

Background: My niece was told she could select a hotel in Ft. Lauderdale for us to stay in for her Spring Break from college. She selected the W. I had my free Platinum gift night to use so it worked out perfectly (since the cash rate was $395 for the night).

Check-in: Perfect. The valet parking was easy, Brian set the tone. He was fantastic and could not have been nicer! Jeremy at the front desk was one of the best front desk personnel I have dealt with at any Starwood. Was upgraded to one of the flats. GORGEOUS views of the ocean and all of Ft. Lauderdale. <Would include pictures but can't seem to do that by just uploading pics from my card.>

My niece called her best friend and texted about 10 other people saying that the space was "ridiculously sick." I thought it was absolutely lovely.

Then went to the bar which had a beautiful outside space with firepits. There wasn't service provided to us, so I walked inside and got our drinks. The bartenders were very nice as well. Overall I found the staff at this hotel top notch.

The next morning I had breakfast at the Steak924. It was OK; nothing special for how expensive the food is. The setting is gorgeous though!

My niece and I then had spa appointments (had made them the previous evening). It is a Bliss Spa. Lovely spa and I loved the outside space that has lounging chairs as well as facing the ocean. The inside looked like 3 seasons ago Pottery Barn. Loved the little brownie bits with the olives that were offered. My niece thought her treatments were fantastic. I couldn't wait for my facial to be finished (and I am a spa junkie!). However; again, the staff displayed concern (I received a survey literally 5 minutes after paying) and the manager called me the following day to follow-up (very impressive).

Check out was a 4 PM checkout and again, the staff was very nice.

All in all one of the best hotel stays that I can remember in a very very long while. As I was on a vacation day and was meeting my niece, the great stay was VERY much appreciated!

I would HIGHLY recommend this property!
Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:29 am

I was lucky enough to escape NYC for Lauderdale on business from 3/31-4/2 and stayed at the W through a promo rate of $199/night. Parking is an extra $30/night but there is really no way around it if you have a car. The closest meters are $1/hour with a 4 hour posted maximum. In any event, the "Wheels" staff was exceptionally fast and friendly and the fee included unlimited ins/outs. They gave you a number to call when you were ready for your car and they prided themselves on 8 minutes or less. The car was always ready before I got downstairs.

As an SPG Gold, they upgraded me to a Mega Room at check in from the basic room I reserved which was really cool. It was in the back of Tower 1, but I was on the 20th floor with nearly full ocean view; partial pool view; and full Southern view where I could see the Miami skyline in the distance. There was also a 2 part balcony and a huge bathroom. The size and view from the room probably impacted my experience in an overly positive way.

Bed was typically very comfortable and the room got pretty dark if you closed off the partition for the bathroom and used the heavy blinds.

The location is right across the street from the beach about 1/2 mile North of Las Olas Boulevard. If you have a car, the downtown area of Lauderdale on Las Olas has a number of fine bars and restaurants less than 2 miles away. the Floridian is a good, diner like option and the Big City Tavern has good food and decent nightlife. IF you walk on A1A heading South there are a number of bars and restaurants some of which are very "Spring Break" like and others that are more restaurants. Nothing of note really, but there are places within walking distance.

I ate lunch at Steak 954. Service was friendly and professional and the seafood cerviche and the simple steak frites were excellent. And came with a great view of A1A and the beach.

I stopped into Whiskey Blue one night but it was probably a little early. The music seemed good though and the club was kind of cool looking, but small. I agree with others here who preferred the Living Room bar. Very chill with 3 pool tables, and a 2d floor wrap around balcony with great views of the ocean.

During the day there is a lot of natural light, but at night it is a little dark inside, but you do get used to it. It is also a little hard to make your way around initially, but I think that is part of the plan where you are encouraged/forced to explore the property and find new things while searching for what you are looking for.

Crowded pool scene with a cocktail party vibe. Did not use the fitness room (looked small but well equipped), spa or the cabanas (not that great looking). The business center allowed you to print your boarding passes free of charge, but charged a fairly high rate to use their machines (I forget what it was actually).

Bottom line is that I liked it a lot and would stay there again if the price was right. Even though there were a pretty large number of families and kids due to Easter/Passover holidays, the place is probably best for singles and couples 45 and under.
Old Apr 6, 2010, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Wirelessly posted (Nokia E71-2: Opera/9.80 (S60; SymbOS; Opera Mobi/448; U; en-US) Presto/2.4.18 Version/10.00)

I'll add the same warning that I posted for the neighboring Hilton - the city of Ft. Lauderdale is very aggressive about parking enforcement, In times of financial crisis, they have added parking enforcement officers, as they more than pay for themselves in increased fine revenue.
Old May 27, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
Booked a room at the 11th hour after a long day working in Miami and a bad night the day prior at the Westin Coral Gables. Got $169 rate, apparently a limited time sale rate.

Within minutes of booking, spg.com showed me in an oceanfront fabuluous suite. Low and behold, it held when I showed up at 10am. Room was amazing, probably the best Starwood room I've ever stayed in. Unfortunately, I had a 6am flight out of MIA so I was in the room like 6 hours at best. At least I got free parking, just left the car in the street overnight.

One nice perk, decent 24 hour room service menu. Wanted a decent breakfast at 3:30am and the had a very good all night menu so I had eggs, toast, bacon, coffee and fresh squeezed OJ. Not many domestic hotels have those options before 6am.
Old May 31, 2010, 6:48 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Night and day. . .

Stayed at this property this last weekend. What a difference from my previous stay (see post above in this thread). A few things:

Room was beautiful although the door never worked all weekend.

The valet Rohan was amazing although the rest of the valet team fell a bit short. One person asked me "would you like directions?" Me: Yes, how far is the airport from here? Valet: Oh, I don't know that. . .

No towels on the beach although 4 calls had been made and told each time "we are on our way." Took over 1.5 hours for towels to arrive. Last day couldn't get admitted to the pool area since they were "crowded" and would let us know when we could come to the pool area.

Poor communications from the staff in many areas.

Trays left outside the room on the floor and not picked up for over 10 hours. When I called down to let them know the response was "Thanks, we'll have it gone before you wake up tomorrow."

Checkout took over 45 minutes.

Although it was one of the busiest weekends the hotel was greatly understaffed.

I have emailed the GM of the property about some of the issues experienced but was surprised at the differential between the two stays I've had in the last 2 months.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
I had a recent stay there two weeks, (writing review) and my stay was amazing. They made me feel like I was the only person on the property.

Granted, holidays are a total different thing. As ldsant states, service on super busy days, is an indication on how prepared, staffed and trained a property really is.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Here's something to hold over until I write the review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoznFH_1eoA

Sorry about the wind.
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Another great video C/E!

This looks like a junior suite. I'm wondering how you thought it compared with the suite at the Westin.

It seems that if I was solo, the views and the balcony would make me prefer the W suite. But when I'm with my wife, we like separate rooms, are there full suites with similar views.

I'll await your writeup to hear wheter this was an upgrade, what type of room, etc. (Room numbers are always great when you do a video).

Thanks!
Old Jun 29, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
is there no way round the parking charge??

i understand theres a charge anywhere,but 32$ is far too much indeed.
can anyone suggest anything else near that would be cheaper?

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.