Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Longer stay report

Just back from the Westin. Another great stay. Just a few notes below for others considering it

SERVICE/ROOM:
The front desk staff is mostly new and mostly below par, but I think they're trying. The new Manager is from the Diplomat and chatter around the pool was that that recruitment and the recent renovations/upgrades (spa, pool deck, some north tower rooms) is that this will go up a Cat come March. That wouldn't be surprising as the rates are almost to good for the location and quality.

ROOM:
They merged my stays and let me stay in the same upgraded room since the hotel was mostly empty until Friday. It's X49 in the north tower. New TV, and new chair near the sliding glass door, but otherwise I don't think it was one of the upgraded ones. Have pics if anyone needs. Will try to find where to upload.

DINING:
They've redone the Waves' (poolside bar & grill) menu, but I don't think it's for the better. It's getting too fancy and less poolside bar that it is. Ditto Shula's breakfast, although their dinner menu has improved. Don't tell me I can't have an order of pancakes as a standalone when they're available as a side. On the plus side, the new-ish sushi bar is well priced and a good selection.

GREEN CHOICE:
Due to "cheating" (I'm not sure exactly how), the hotel now doesn't distribute the Green Choice vouchers until nearly 7pm which is frustrating because it means you can't use it for breakfast or lunch. It took asking the front desk three times to get them to take out my food trash-I've never had that issue, Green Choice or not.

<5m walk to Beach Place, trolley and #40 Bus to Galleria (10m, stop in front of the hotel), 5m walk to Las Olas so you're right in the middle of everything in FLL and don't need a rental car unless you're going elsewhere while in the area.

ELEVATOR:
Beach walk elevator still out of service as of when I left on Saturday. Not ideal.

OVERALL:
It's my favorite of the three on the beach (Sheraton, W). It's definitely an upgrade over the Sheraton and the W/Westin is personal preference. I'll likely still continue to stay there even if it goes up in March.

Last edited by travellingcari; Dec 22, 2013 at 3:25 pm Reason: Elevator
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:59 am

Programs: SPG Plat, USairways Plat, Avis First
Finishing up a 5-day award stay tomorrow. All in all, a very pleasant stay.

ROOM
Got upgraded to an Executive Suite on a high floor in the South Tower. Outstanding ocean view. Huge closet; adequate bathroom with shower only but a window facing south down the beach. Not what I would call a huge premium suite but as an upgrade from a traditional room award it's fantastic. Had enough room to set up an Xmas tree in the living area for the kids. Wifi in the bedroom was awful; better in the living room. Room has a nice Bose sound system with two speakers and a subwoofer.

DINING
Took the breakfast option as my Plat amenity. Ate twice at Shula's; great menu, good food, extremely slow. If you're not in a hurry and just want to stare at the water it's perfect; if you want to eat and get your day going the (very nice) Starbucks in the South Tower is a better bet. We got room service a few times--the food was pretty standard SPG fare and a little slower than average.

FACILITY
The elevator to the beach was still out. So we had to walk down the dirty staircase and walk through Shula's to get from the pool (where you have to go if you want towels) to the beach. But still, we're talking about a 3 minute walk to a beach. Had no trouble getting chairs at the beach; a bit more challenging at the pool--though the staff there is very helpful. Lobby area is pleasant; fitness area in South Tower has an outstanding ocean view; carpets in hallways on upper floor are a stained and a bit tired.

SERVICE
I was contacted by a property concierge a week before check-in and she was super helpful. Help set up a few activities beforehand and left cool presents for my kids (beach pails, snacks, etc). I found all the front desk people to be professional as expected. Guys at the pool called me by name every time.

GREEN CHOICE
I signed up for it but housekeeping has been coming in every day doing a different level of service each time. Guessing it will turn into a conversation when we check out. Also, someone knocks on the door everyday around 6 or 7 to ask if we want a turndown.

Easy walk to a handful of restaurants and a 24-hour CVS (at the Marriot timeshare). More options if you're willing to walk 10-15 minutes. Had a really fun dinner at a place on the water called Coconuts. Between the 50-cent trolleys, bus service, and cab rides I didn't miss having a car.

In summary, a nice place. Not exactly what I would call a premium resort. Still too rough around the edges. But I used that 35% off redemption, so wound up in an oceanfront suite for five nights for 26,000 points--if I complain please punch me. Kids loved it. Stared at the ocean out the windows every morning listening to surf. I'd stay again in same situation.
Old Sep 28, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
The valet here lost the keys to my rental car. While apologetic and fixed the problem by eventually having to re-key the car, I never once heard from the hotel management side. Gotta love still including the valet charge on my folio.

Edit: management contacted me and offered 5,000 points as goodwill for my troubles.

Last edited by bon95; Oct 3, 2014 at 7:31 am
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:51 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Update #2: Was promised 5,000 points but now 18 days later still haven't shown up in my account. Contacting management again. What a joke.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 2:56 pm

The hotel has just been sold:

http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article80879.html

I wonder if it will leave Westin. Usually these articles say the hotel "will continue to be managed by Westin under a long-term agreement" or some such wording, but there's nothing like that in this one.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by James Luckard
The hotel has just been sold:

http://www.hotelnewsresource.com/article80879.html

I wonder if it will leave Westin. Usually these articles say the hotel "will continue to be managed by Westin under a long-term agreement" or some such wording, but there's nothing like that in this one.
Please not at least for another five weeks. Pretty please with a cherry on top, SPG/hotel gods.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Anyone have any parking tips to save money here? Is there a cheaper lot nearby?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Anyone have any parking tips to save money here? Is there a cheaper lot nearby?
You asked the same question up thread. There has been some discussion in the W thread as well.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
You asked the same question up thread. There has been some discussion in the W thread as well.
Yes, that is true. But that was 1 year ago. I thought perhaps some new information might be available after one year.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by travellingcari
Please not at least for another five weeks. Pretty please with a cherry on top, SPG/hotel gods.
Some encouragement from the linked article:

"The Company [DiamondRock...the purchaser] has strategically positioned its hotels to generally be operated under leading global brands such as Hilton, Marriott, and Westin."

I think it would take a substantial difference in the pricing of their management agreements to go to the expense of rebranding. But you never know. They could switch, or even go independent.

I think you're probably safe. Just a gut feel. Bill me if I'm wrong.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:42 pm

Thanks

Originally Posted by PremEx
Some encouragement from the linked article:

"The Company [DiamondRock...the purchaser] has strategically positioned its hotels to generally be operated under leading global brands such as Hilton, Marriott, and Westin."

I think it would take a substantial difference in the pricing of their management agreements to go to the expense of rebranding. But you never know. They could switch, or even go independent.

I think you're probably safe. Just a gut feel. Bill me if I'm wrong.
I'd also like to think that Starwood wouldn't be on the brink of losing three major properties in the same metropolitan, high value/high tourist area in a few months.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 12:37 pm

December 2014 stay report

Note: I'll have photos eventually.

My semi annual visit and one I was, for the first time since my first visit, apprehensive about due to all the SPG changes in FLL this fall. The good news is, it's (good) business as usual at the Westin. Definitely more crowded than this week the past few years and I imagine that was due in part to the loss of the Westin and the Sheraton.

ROOM: I was actually offered a suite and declined it as 1) I'd have to move for my last night and 2) I really wanted an ocean view. Plus I was traveling solo and only using room to sleep so I didn't need/want a suite. I ended up in 1420 in the South Tower which, it turned out, was approximately siberia relative to all other parts of the hotel. BUt that also meant it was quiet and as a south facing room I had both sunrise and sunset with ocean and intracoastal views so I was happy. The down side was it's very close to the rooms at the adjacent Season. As in I could watch my neighbor's TV. The room only had sheer curtains which was a bit odd, but I guess a non issue that high up. Otherwise, your standard Westin room with "shutter" window and door in bathroom, a rain head shower stall and longue chair in front of the sliding doors.

SERVICE: the front desk has a lot of new staff, but it's much improved from my last stay. Otherwise only really dealt with Pool crew and they're wonderful as always. If you need anything while there and use twitter, ping them @WestinBeach. Active and engaging.

FOOD: meh. Meh. It's good that this is walkable to Beach Place and the other restaurants on AIA since the food here is mediocre. The sushi place is good, albeit with a limited menu and Shulas is Shulas. There are better places on Las Olas or the beach if you want a higher end dinner, which is the niche Shulas fills. (954 at the W a block away is better if you want steak.) Waves needs to stop going fancy or at least bring back stadard pool side fare to go with quinoa burgers. It's overpriced but can't beat delivery to the chair, which is their selling point. Drinks are generous, but I miss the happy hour.

AREA: same as always. A few new places along the beach but nothing drastic. It looks like Dos Caminos at the former Sheraton is going to reopen, which is nice.

All in all, I love this place. It's a good one to relax which is the only reason I go. So long as it remains in SPG, I'll keep going.
Old Dec 23, 2014, 9:17 pm

Photos as promised

You can see how close the adjacent condo is, the ~ year old rentable cabanas, the lanai rooms which have been upgraded and the new? night lighting for the pool deck. Never mind, can't get them to post. Photos are here.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Hi... Any updates here? Considering this, the W, or a Miami Beach hotel for a few day get-away with the wife in August (I know). The Red Sox are in town and she's a big fan.

Not really willing to blow the bank at the Bal Harbor. Stashing points for a future Europe trip.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by jb3t
Hi... Any updates here? Considering this, the W, or a Miami Beach hotel for a few day get-away with the wife in August (I know). The Red Sox are in town and she's a big fan.

Not really willing to blow the bank at the Bal Harbor. Stashing points for a future Europe trip.
I was there in February. Nothing changed from my December report. This and the W are across the street from one another and I've stayed at both. I personally prefer the Westin, but the food at the W is better. I don't enjoy the younger/louder W crowd - Westin is more family. But that's all subjective. The Westin is a good, clean, standard Westin but there's no wow.

Don't have a point of comparison for the MIami properties as I haven't stayed at any recently.

I miss the Diplomat

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.