Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by travellingcari
Headed down again in December. There was construction at the entrance when I went earlier this summer and rumblings about the restaurant, but nothing confirmed. Not surprised as while Shula's was overpriced, it was good. This wasn't. Wonder what is to come
I'm local to Fort Lauderdale and the beach is my walking/jogging/biking route. There were some images and words on the construction wall but I was across the street and didn't stop. (I honestly expected to find information about the project on the website.)

Next time I go past, I'll stop and try to take some pictures. My schedule is unpredictable, but I probably will be down there at some point this coming week (if it's not raining when I try to exercise). I'll post details for the curious.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 7:49 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm local to Fort Lauderdale and the beach is my walking/jogging/biking route. There were some images and words on the construction wall but I was across the street and didn't stop. (I honestly expected to find information about the project on the website.)

Next time I go past, I'll stop and try to take some pictures. My schedule is unpredictable, but I probably will be down there at some point this coming week (if it's not raining when I try to exercise). I'll post details for the curious.
Weirdest thing is if you went by website, AV would appear to still be there, never mind a note about the construction and related noise.

Thanks for the leg work
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:36 am

Here's what the restaurant space looks like now:

Here is a really terrible photo of the rendering posted on the construction wall. (I took this just minutes after sunrise, which was directly behind me. I couldn't stand directly in front of the image because of the shadow.)

The promotional text under the photos says: "Serving fresh and healthy cuisine, the new RESTAURANT and its breezy VERANDA will provide the perfect spot to enjoy hand-crafted cocktails and prime ocean views."
Old Sep 30, 2016, 2:17 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
[QUOTE=writerguyfl;27284791]Here's what the restaurant space looks like now:

Thank you!
Old Oct 7, 2016, 4:44 pm

They've since updated it

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Once home, I went to the Starwood website to see if they had information on what was coming. I was surprised to see that there is no disclosure of this major construction on the hotel web page.

Caveat emptor.
First and foremost, hope you weathered storm OK.
They must have heard us (thanks, Lurkers, I assume) as when I went to update a booking for December I found the following on their site:

Guest Arrival Information: September 1 – November 6, 2016
From September 1 to November 6, 2016, the front desk and guest arrival area is temporarily located at:

3030 Granada Street
Fort Lauderdale, Florida, 33304

From September 1, 2016 through December 18, 2016, Waves Bar & Grill will serve daily breakfast, lunch and dinner. Please contact the resort for additional information.
Baby steps of progress
Old Dec 19, 2016, 5:19 am

ETA on dining per their notes about a stay next week:

Until January 9, 2017, Waves Bar & Grill will serve daily breakfast, lunch and dinner. Please contact the resort for additional information.

I've actually split my stay between here and the Hilton because their rates are insane, even moreso than standard snowbird/holiday insane
Old Dec 19, 2016, 6:12 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott (Plat)
ETA on dining per their notes about a stay next week:

Until January 9, 2017, Waves Bar & Grill will serve daily breakfast, lunch and dinner. Please contact the resort for additional information.

I've actually split my stay between here and the Hilton because their rates are insane, even moreso than standard snowbird/holiday insane
Well this is unexpected news...

I have a family trip to escape the Cleveland winter, booked for next month from Jan 7 to Jan 15. I guess it's time to do some further research as I did not see any warnings about the hotel construction or the restaurant at the time of my booking several months ago.

Based on that message, I guess I have to assume that they won't have a functioning restaurant for most of our stay.
Old Dec 19, 2016, 9:26 pm

Waves shares kitchen with restaurant

Originally Posted by FlyertalkST

I have a family trip to escape the Cleveland winter, booked for next month from Jan 7 to Jan 15. I guess it's time to do some further research as I did not see any warnings about the hotel construction or the restaurant at the time of my booking several months ago.

Based on that message, I guess I have to assume that they won't have a functioning restaurant for most of our stay.
Not sure how much of the menu they'll serve, but it's quick service/pool side as well as bar and table. There is also the interior counter that used to be the sushi bar, not sure of its current use.

If you need Starwood, the W is literally across the street. I've stayed at both and prefer the Westin but that's not objective.

If you're not familiar with the area, Beach Place is walkable for supplies (CVS) and restaurants
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:18 am

I walked by yesterday (dark, sorry no pic) and the exterior part of the restaurant is down to studs still. No way this is done next week. I move there tomorrow and will update in more detail. Meanwhile loving the Hilton one block north. A little too fancy for me, but it's doing nicely.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:27 pm

I decided to bail on the Westin given the construction issue. Decided to give the Marriott Harbor Beach a shot. We'll see. We were supposed to arrive today but due to the shooting at FLL on 1/6 we got bumped to 1/8 for our flight. Fingers crossed...
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:33 pm

Not sure how much of the menu they'll serve, but it's quick service/pool side as well as bar and table. There is also the interior counter that used to be the sushi bar, not sure of its current use.

If you need Starwood, the W is literally across the street. I've stayed at both and prefer the Westin but that's not objective.

If you're not familiar with the area, Beach Place is walkable for supplies (CVS) and restaurants
Given that it's a family trip, I was a little reluctant to book the W which seems like a great property but maybe not the best fit. I'll keep it in mind though for a future trip or maybe even a backup plan if things at the Marriott HB don't work out this week for whatever reason.

Thanks for the insight!
Old Jan 7, 2017, 7:36 pm

I walked by yesterday (dark, sorry no pic) and the exterior part of the restaurant is down to studs still. No way this is done next week. I move there tomorrow and will update in more detail. Meanwhile loving the Hilton one block north. A little too fancy for me, but it's doing nicely.
Feeling better about my decision to bail based on this report. Thanks for the info. FWIW, when I called the Westin around Christmas they pledged the restaurant would be completed and fully operational by January 9th. I had my doubts...
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:36 pm

I decided to bail on the Westin given the construction issue. Decided to give the Marriott Harbor Beach a shot. We'll see. We were supposed to arrive today but due to the shooting at FLL on 1/6 we got bumped to 1/8 for our flight. Fingers crossed...
I have friends who stay there and while I don't know details of their opinion, I know they've gone multiple times so I'm sure they find it acceptable. Their kids are pre teens if that matters.

If FLL is a new destination to you, Bonnet House Museum (down past the W) can be fun for kids as well as the Swimming Hall of Fame (near ish you if I'm thinking of the right Marriott building). THe Water Taxi is relaxing. Restaurants at Beach Place are nice.

They made a lot of progress on the restaurant this week, but are saying "mid January" as of this week. I personally think that's optimistic. Good luck getting in, I was scheduled to fly yesterday and was able to rebook out of West Palm.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 8:42 pm

Stay Report, Jan 2017

Not full as I've stayed here more times than I can count. New things of note:
  • The new lobby is gorgeous, really well done. I love the move of the computer stations to the old concierge space and the concierge closer to the door. Only down side is that there aren't any power points on the new table, that would have been lovely as there's a definite outlet shortge in the lobby
  • Breakfast at Waves (due to construction) is nice. Lower price point than fixed breakfast at Shula's and those that followed. As someone who doesn't eat heavy, I liked a ~$9 option that was more substantive than Starbucks
  • Dinner at Waves is the same menu (and price point) as lunch. Nice to have that space longer, which hasn't been the case since the sushi restaurant was there
  • I miss the stairs up to Mezz from the lobby. Not sure if they're permanently gone or construction casualty but it was nice for quick trips drom Mezz to Lobby and vice versa to avoid elevator congestion
  • Service still amazing, great location on the Beach and I prefer it to the W. I split my time this stay between there and the Hilton and while the Westin isn't as fancy, I prefer it.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 11:30 pm

Beach Service

What kind of service does the hotel have on the beach? Food? Drinks? Anything?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.