Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2009, 10:10 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Arrow Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort [Master Thread]

The Westin Beach Resort and Spa, Fort Lauderdale

321 N Fort Lauderdale Beach Blvd Fort Lauderdale, FL US 33304

Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort [Master Thread] (0 Photo)

The Westin Beach Resort and Spa, Fort Lauderdale

While having breakfast at the Sheraton FLL Airport, I got a text message from Chase with a fraud alert, a charge made by Westin Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort for a little more than 700 USD..

Since we were pretty much on our way, I decided to wait to call chase till after we arrived at the Westin.

I was staying on a corporate, not a pre-paid rate.

Valet welcomed us, no self park available even though there's a parking garage with plenty of space. Valet is 25 USD.

When checking in, they couldn't figure out what happened at first, but after waiting for about 20 minutes, a manager came out and said they had made a mistake during pre-check in. They pretty much charged instead of reserved over 700 bucks and set of the Chase alert. After another 15 minutes, it was all sorted out and I was given 5000 Starpoints for my trouble.

We finally headed to our room, an upgraded corner room on the top floor, 1448. According to the front desk, there are only a handful of suites and none were available even if the occupancy was pretty light.

The room is a typical Westin room, but there are huge windows and since it's a corner room, it's pretty nice. Good quality furniture and a total redo from the dump this place used to be. But there are no balconies at all at this place..

They were working on the second tower next door, but it's across the street and the new windows are very well insulated so the ones who complain about noise are not telling the truth. I couldn't hear a darn thing.

Cheap clock radio in the room, two cordless phones and a couple of chairs. Minibar with key, we were not offered a key at check in.

What makes the room the strangest Westin experience I have ever had (or any hotel for that matter) is the bathroom. It's smaller than a powder room and you can only open the door half way before it hits the toilet bowl. So in order to take a piss, you have to open the door till it hits the toilet bowl, step in and then close the door.

The bathroom is the smallest I have ever seen at a Starwood property and in my mind, not acceptable. I will upload the pictures tomorrow, you will be surprised.

2 bottles of Panna water for SPG members in our room

The pool area has not been refurbished and it's not very nice. The majority of the seats are also in the shade over half the day..

All in all, the location is great, but this is not a resort at all. It's a regular business Westin with an outside pool. If the price is right, there's nothing wrong with the place. But with the W opening a block away, it looks so much nicer and also has balconies and from the looks of it, plenty of suites etc, I'm quite sure that the W will be the SPG place to be on FLL Beach.

Would you like to write a review on the The Westin Beach Resort and Spa, Fort Lauderdale?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by tommy777; Apr 29, 2009 at 11:58 am
Old Apr 25, 2009, 11:26 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
"only a handful of suites and none were available even if the occupancy was pretty light"

Does not sound promising.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Apr 25, 2009 at 11:33 am
Old Apr 27, 2009, 12:29 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold, MC Plat., Star Plat.
just OK

I stayed two nights for the freddie awards this week, just got home and will load some pictures soon. When I arrived there were no upgrades, I had paid for a ocean front room, wound up in th -47 room which is the smallest ocean front room when checking the room map. The room was much nicer than the old Sheraton rooms, but small none the less, the front door was less than three feet from the bed.
The view out of the pool and ocean was nice, new windows and sliding door lock out all outside noise.
Bathroom was small with louvered doors that do not afford much privacy, you can see through some of the slates and there is no sound barrier there.
Gift shop never oppened while I was there, I could not get a local newspaper!
The resturant food was good, enjoyed breakfast but had to argue for a comp on the breakfast which was to be included in the special freddie rate, as a result I didn't even try to have breakfast the second day.
Valet parking was fast and the guys were very friendly always asking if you needed help to find you way.
Stephanie at the front desk was friendly and nice too!
I love the location, stayed many times there as a Sheraton in the past, now?
Let's see what the W offers!
Old Apr 27, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by cwm143
I stayed two nights for the freddie awards this week, just got home and will load some pictures soon. When I arrived there were no upgrades, I had paid for a ocean front room, wound up in th -47 room which is the smallest ocean front room when checking the room map.

This happens to me occassionally and might actually annoy me more than the lack of transparency on actual upgrades. Some here like to pound the table on 'if you want to guarantee a room type, pay for it.' Well sometimes I do and get stuck in a lower quality room of the type for which I paid (club, oceanfront etc...). I'm just not confident in some locales that once an upgrade is deemed unavailable, that any additional effort is made to get the best room available in the category booked.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 27, 2009 at 12:34 pm Reason: correccted ubb coding for quote
Old Apr 27, 2009, 7:31 am

Programs: SVO, SPG Gold, AAdvantage, TrueBlue
Seemed pretty nice

I was there 4/8 - 4/13 and it was fantastic. Got an upgrade to oceanfront on the award stay, pools staff reserved the outdoor lounge beds for us each day, it was fantastic. Yes, the valet was expensive, but nice once they get to knwo you and you come and go enough, it's nice to always be waited on.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 8:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tommy777

I will complete the report and upload pictures tomorrow
Your deadline has passed. What's the hold up? he he he he

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
"only a handful of suites and none were available even if the occupancy was pretty light"

Does not sound promising.
I think we need to remember this is a multi building property. I'm not being a starwood/SPG/Westin Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (hey, I had to cover all the bases) apologist, but before making assumptions, lets ask what the completion time table is?

Many properties open with rooms/portions of the hotel still under construction. In the near future as there are more stays, hopefully there will be more reports and we'll have a better picture of operations, amenities and room types.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 9:56 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
I stayed in 1447 over the weekend on the Freddie rate. Some further observations :

Soundproofing very good, I didn't even hear the noisy guy in 1448.

Bathroom was adequately sized, no bath but a large walk-in shower and no problems acccessing the bowl.....

Paying $25 for compulsory valet parking kinda hurts when you can see loads of empty parking spaces a few yards away up the ramp to the parking garage.

Breakfast served on the outside patio was nice, especially enjoyed the eggs & lobster benedict. The actual breakfast room (where you go to pick up the cereals, fruit etc) is rather poky and the buffet spread modest.

I had the same problem with getting the "included" breakfast : I mentioned to the the greeter at the breakfast restaurant that my rate included breakfast, she couldn't/wouldn't verify this and sent me back to reception to get my coupon. Reception initially denied that my (special Freddie) rate included breakfast, and it took rather too much argument to extract the coupon. All rather undignified for a Westin.....

2 nice big bottles of water in the room.

Minibar key was tucked into my key wallet.

The in-room cordless phones look like 1980's cellphone 'bricks'. Twice they made random beeping noises, which I took to be ringing, but when I answered no-one was there.

Pool was uncrowded, with plenty of spare sun loungers.

Late check-out granted when I asked, but I was then subsequently disturbed twice by knocks on the door from staff asking when I was leaving....

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Apr 27, 2009 at 10:04 am
Old Apr 28, 2009, 2:01 pm

Got back from staying over the weekend starting Friday and had a great time. They bumped me up to ocean view on check in. My assigned room (at a cheaper rate) wasn't ready so they upgraded me which was great. I was on the 8th floor.

Room view to ocean and view of pool area.

Valet was much, but I'm lazy to park anyways. I was coming and going at all hours so it was much easier to valet. If I had the self park option like they offered me when I stayed at the Westin Diplomat I wouldn't have chose it anyways.

As others said the pool was quiet and not crowded (unlike Westin Diplomat) however when the hotel is fully operational and the 2nd tower is completed I do think that will change and the pool area will be more packed. It was nicely heated and I did not want to get out once I got in. Pool bar was great, loved the strawberry mojito and maitai.

I didn't get a mini bar key at check in either. However, I didn't mind since I remembered how insane the prices were for the stuff at the Diplomat. I didn't want anything from in there anyways so I didn't ask for it. There's a 24hour CVS a short walk down the strip away that is much better prices.

Had a small plumbing issue and called down for help. They sent help instantly and was fixed in now time.

Valet guys were really nice, funny and entertaining. All the hotel staff was friendly and I would for sure stay there again. I also loved how close the hotel was to so many restaurants and the strip.

Issues they should work on:

1) There's no mirror in the room other than the one in the bathroom. The main room needs another mirror to make it easier when people are getting dressed.

2) Security. With the public beach access via the overpass walkway I was going to the beach and all the restaurants/bars on the strip at all hours. I was never asked to show my room card when entering the hotel from the pool (level 3) doors. Late at night (after 12am) I was coming into the hotel via the bridge and those doors were still open. I walked right in and got on the elevator.

At the Diplomat everytime I went from the pool/beach into the hotel I had to show my room key and this hotel should do the same. If they don't want someone standing there at the door near the bridge 24/7 then get a door lock that makes the door opens when a guest swipes their room key.

What makes the room the strangest Westin experience I have ever had (or any hotel for that matter) is the bathroom. It's smaller than a powder room and you can only open the door half way before it hits the toilet bowl. So in order to take a piss, you have to open the door till it hits the toilet bowl, step in and then close the door.
I had the opposite. My bathroom was huge. Toilet all the way in the left corner, a big bathtub, and a double sink with a lot of counter space. The space between the 3 was huge. You could fit one of the beds in there.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 11:35 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA EXP

Other reviews cover it pretty well, but here are some pics of a corner room. Sorry they are small pics, forgot to change resolution when i uploaded them, i will try and fix it later.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Apr 29, 2009 at 12:12 pm Reason: Removed second pic, which was MUCH too large
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite

Your deadline has passed. What's the hold up? he he he he

I think we need to remember this is a multi building property. I'm not being a starwood/SPG/Westin Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (hey, I had to cover all the bases) apologist, but before making assumptions, lets ask what the completion time table is?

Many properties open with rooms/portions of the hotel still under construction. In the near future as there are more stays, hopefully there will be more reports and we'll have a better picture of operations, amenities and room types.
Hey

Pics have finally been uploaded in post #1

You are right. According to the manager, there will be more suites in the second tower (and it's across the street so absolutely not a noise or problem for the current guests).

As for the pool, please observe that it's not a resort pool area, more like a regular hotel, so calling it a "resort" is just plain wrong.

At the right price, I would definitely stay there again, but it has to be at least 100 dollars a night cheaper than the Westin Diplomat.

Staying for a long weekend at the W a block away the first weekend of July, and by the looks of that property, I have very high expectations.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by tommy777
Hey

Pics have finally been uploaded in post #1

Well its about time! My prayers to the photo Gods have been answered.

Looks like the new Westin design. Similar to the Westins in DC, Philly, Boston, Chicago, etc. It looks a hell of a lot better than it did as Sheraton.

The bathroom doesn't look that small. Not as small as the bathroom at W Atlanta Buckhead
Old Apr 29, 2009, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
[
The bathroom doesn't look that small. Not as small as the bathroom at W Atlanta Buckhead
Come on... You can't even open the door because it hits the toilet bowl.
Old May 4, 2009, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

It has been more than a week, but the 5000 star points I was promised, has not showed up in my account. Will wait a couple more days before I have to contact the hotel..
Old May 4, 2009, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Don't see too many reasons to stay there again. Just spent one night due to the Freddies.

Somehow they did find me a suite after I had exercised my nuclear option telling that I would move to some other hotel. This method normally works well but you have to be prepared to make alternate arrangements on the spot if they don't bite.
Old May 6, 2009, 11:53 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
I recently found an opportunity to upload my photos to Facebook from our stay here during the Freddies. The url is here for those who are interested, but they aren't terribly different from what anyone else has posted thus far.

http://www.facebook.com/privacy/#/al...&id=1396963541

We had a very pleasant stay. The staff was very courteous and willing to please and were obviously very excited about all the changes that the renovations and brand conversion were bringing about. We were upgraded from the intercoastal waterway view to a full ocean view, which was nice, but we lost our king bed in the process. Since it was only for two nights, we agreed that the sacrifice of sleeping in two different beds was a good swap-out considering the view we now had.

I have to say also that I was pretty impressed with the quality of food from Shula's On The Beach. It was often slow to be delivered, but the taste and freshness was always top-notch. The Lobster Eggs Benedict were to die for at breakfast.

Although they are still working on the south tower and the conference area, we heard absolutely no noise that could be attributed to construction and no sign of construction from the areas of the resort that we frequented, although I'm sure that if you wandered far enough past the elevators, you would run into both eventually.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.