Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1.xMM, MAR SLV, HH DMND, IHG PLT
First of congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

Sounds like you want to do Maui and one other island. My suggestion for a 1st trip/honeymoon trip is Oahu and then Maui. Go to Maui last as it is the best island.

The JW Marriott Ko Olina area feels a little like Maui; and the rooms inside have a more Maui feel to them. Since you are already going to Maui and staying at the Grand Wilea, I'd suggest staying at Waikiki Beach itself for a completely different experience than Maui.

Yes, Waikiki Beach is crowded and a bit noisy/busy but it is more central to visit attractions such as Hanauma Bay (great snorkeling), Diamond Head, Pearl Harbor, drive up to the north parts of the island etc. Also, if you like trying nice restaurants for dinner (Sansei, La Mer, Nobu, etc) you have more options in Waikiki beach than in Ko Olina where there is the restaurant hotels (which aren't bad) and Roy's.

The Marriott Waikiki Beach can be had at about $170ish/nt w/ the "M11"/Marriott elite rate around that time, so no need to burn points. The beach is right across the street. You can cab it from the airport to the hotel/or take the private bus company (name slips me now but they are by baggage claim at HNL).

You can rent a car for 1 day/24 hours from Waikiki Beach itself (so you don't pay the arm and leg hotel parking fee): do Pearl Harbor, drive around the island, even hit dinner at somewhere fancy like Allan Wong's or Chef Mavro's and drop the car off next morning back in the city. We just street parked it overnight in front of the Marriott (both times) and never had a problem.

Save dad's MR points for a 1st year anniversary trip somewhere else where the hotel is really expensive, i.e. like in London, Paris, Rome etc!

Save Ko Olina and Kauai for when you come back to Hawaii again with kids later. Those properties are better with children/families.

You can also check out Ko Olina for the day by taking the Marriott time share tour and spend the day checking out the JW and MVCI property to get a comparison if you decide to come back. They provide a shuttle bus there and back.

We started with Waikiki + Maui on our honeymoon. 2nd trip was Kauai and Big Island. Now with children we prefer Ko Olina (in Oahu) - the MVCI is great, and planning to hit Maui again this year.

In Kauai, I think it is better to stay at Poipu Beach and not in Lihue. Poipu Beach has a MVCI (but I don't know if you can get a normal room only). There is a Sheraton (is SPG cash and points an option?) and Hyatt and the Hyatt is supposed to be the best place. We'd go back to Kauai again but only if we can stay in Poipu Beach.

If you really want to see the scenery of Kauai, there are plenty of 1 day package trips from Oahu. They will pick you up early in the morning from your hotel for the airport and drop you off at night (all included). A family member last year really wanted to see the Big Island and took one of these day trips.

With 8-9 days, 2 islands is a good pace to park yourself so you don't feel like you are pulling luggage around all the time like a business trip.

Feel free to PM me on any of the above.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 4:35 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
miles_navigator hit it on the head. If I had to give you my 7 day trip planner for a first time in hawaii / honeymoon, here's what i'd do...

2 nights @ Marriott Waikiki - go shopping, explore the island, see pearl harbor, etc
5 nights @ Marriott Wailea - RELAX, go to Lahaina, visit haleakala, enjoy the beautiful property!
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:08 am

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Oceanfront properties in Hawaii?

Hey guys,

None of the Marriott Hotels in Hawaii say "Oceanfront" or "Waterfront" in their description.

Can anyone help out with which ones offer Oceanfront rooms? Alas, I did a quick search and didn't find anything definitive.

Also, if anyone knows, which ones in your opinion are the best values for MR redemptions?

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 7:52 am
AMA

I'd suggest you lookup the MH Resorts on Marriott.com and browse pics and room categories. Be aware that 'ocean view' ain't 'on the beach', etc. Usually, something like 'ocean front' is closer to meaning a room actually by the beach.

And, depending upon your reqs, 'on the beach' may not be a strict req. For example, the Marriott in Waikiki Beach is directly across the street from the beach, so technically, there are no 'ocean front' rooms; however, the location is really pretty good.

On Kauai, the Lihue location for Marriott's Kauai Beach Club Resort -does- have some rooms literally on the beach(very nice, I've stayed here before, and for a while, owned one of these as a timeshare). BUT, these particular rooms are part of the timeshare complex, which means availability to rent/book is through Marriott, through timeshare rental sites, and through individual owners. The rest of the property is somewhat recessed(but still very attractive).

So, each location differs, and may, in fact, satisfy your reqs, regardless of the official room description.

Translation: you have to poke around a bit. But, Marriott's website usually has some pretty good pics of the overall resort sites, so you can get a preliminary idea for each spot.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:03 am

Thank you, sir.
Old Mar 20, 2010, 8:43 am
AMA

Yup, miles_navigator has the right idea:

* You wanna start out with noise/action in Waikiki first, as you're gonna be all wound up at the start.

* Figure a few days to get oriented, start winding down, de-stress, etc. By then, a swing by Maui to Wailea to slow you down to 'zero state' and you'll be just right.

Bear in mind that travel time/logistics are a -big- deal when going to/from Hawaii, and if I'd guess the number one mistake first-timers are likely to make, it'd be 'See all the Islands in 5 days' kinda thing.

* One full day to get from DEN(SNA?) to HNL. Not bad, time zones work in your favor here.

* One full day(NIGHT??) to get back? Uh-oh. I won't fly a redeye on return from vacation, so I fly out of HNL(OGG for you, if on Maui) in the afternoon, reach LAX late in the evening, and overnight there. That way, the remaining leg(s) are also daytime flights. FULLY refreshed upon return...usually doesn't add much $cost$ to do this(if $tight$, do a Priceline hotel stay, book flight as a layover on return portion of trip).

* Realize that every time you switch islands, you have to pack up, checkout, catch a flight, arrive, checkin, unpack. Net is, each island move wastes most of a day. Also, Maui airport to Wailea takes a while to drive(you -do- know that you need a rental car on Maui and you -don't- want a car in Honolulu, righto??).

So, plan accordingly. Remember, Hawaii ain't goin' anywhere; it'll be there for you to resume exploration of in future years, so park your butt(s) on the beach and enjoy a multi-day chill.

Btw, a friend of mine did the honeymoon thing last October at the Wailea Marriott...she just raved on & on about it, so I think you'll be just fine, between Waikiki & Wailea. I can't comment about any Hilton hotels in Wailea, so you're on your own there, if not staying at the Marriott.

Oh, one other thing - at one time, Marriott had a combo Hawaiian award that allowed one to split stays at more than one hotel. Better use of points, multi-hotel, etc. I don't know if that award is still available, but would be worth checking on. I don't keep up w/MH awards that much, so other, more knowledgeable posters might chime in(or you could...S-E-A-R-C-H ).

Last edited by AMA; Mar 20, 2010 at 8:54 am
Old Mar 20, 2010, 9:19 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
+1 another vote for Kauai.

Marriott Wailea is also right on the ocean; however, it is up on a cliff. The views are greatl. There are beaches on either side of the Marriott resort (Wailea in fron of the Hilton Grand Wailea and I can't remember the name of the other) that are great for swimming and are about a 10 to 15 minute walk depending on where your room is in the Marriott.

Marriott Waikoloa is on A-Bay beach but is more recessed. The closest rooms to the beach are approx. 200 to 300 yds back. I was there when they were first starting on the renovations. It has gotten mixed reviews since they completed the renovations (management issues).

You can't go wrong with Marriott Kauii or Marriott Wailea resorts. If you can get into it the Maui Ocean Club MVCI is also quite nice and right on the ocean. I haven't been to it but I have also heard good reviews of the Waiohai Beach Club MVCI property which is on the ocean in Poipu on Kauai.

--Jon
Old Mar 20, 2010, 11:06 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Interestingly enough, it looks like we all have pretty much the same plan!

- a little time at Waikiki
- relaxation at the Wailea Marriott
Old Mar 20, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
http://www.wizardpub.com/bigisland/b...hmarriott.html

Poke around on this website.Their guidebooks are very informative and are published for most of the islands.You can see aerial views of many properties.

This link is for the Big Island,but you can change books on the website.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 10:15 am

Which Hawaii Marriott

I am planning on going to Hawaii next March and have the points to cover a full week stay. We would love a property with a great beach as well as being nearby to a surf school for my wife and 20 year old daughter. Which of the 5 FS properties would you recommend and why?
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
just curious, have you even attempted to search any of this? from your OP and my readings on this forum of all the FS properties, it does not appear that you have.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
just curious, have you even attempted to search any of this? from your OP and my readings on this forum of all the FS properties, it does not appear that you have.
WOW! You can tell all that from what I wrote? You're damn good! I can read reviews on line, which I have done and get a good review and a bad review from people who stayed the same dates. I asked for personal recommendations from the members here and am hoping to get members who have been to any of them RECENTLY. Have you done a search in the forum using the words Hawaii Surf School or just Hawaii Surf? Thanks for your lack of help.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:00 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Personally, I would suggest you deciding which island(s) you want to visit and then decide where to stay after that. My reasoning is that each island is different and has different things to offer. I wouldn't mold my Hawaii vacation around which Marriott I decided to stay at. I would pick my hotel based on what I want to do/see while in Hawaii.

What are you wanting to do while in Hawaii? Oahu has Pearl Harbor and some other sites to visit, but it is much more "turisty" than the other islands. And really is my least favorite island, but Pearl Harbor was a must see for us. Kauai seemed to be the most "hawaiian" of the islands. It has an awesome canyon to visit, probably has the more "secluded" beaches and many, many waterfalls to visit. Maui has a bit of both Kauai and Oahu, but still seems more "turisty" than I prefer. The big island, Hawaii, has some interesting looking black sand beaches, but there just isn't as much to see or do there.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 1:21 pm

Can we just put a moratorium on people telling OPs to use the search function without giving any kind of answer?

I don't know, but my suggestion would be to just do a Google search for "surf schools" in Honolulu near the address of a hotel of interest.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 2:01 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by judolphin
Can we just put a moratorium on people telling OPs to use the search function without giving any kind of answer?
I agree. Do what I do, just don't respond to threads that are easily answered by doing a search. Especially those for which I have previously taken as much as an hour to type out detailed responses. Why should I do that again? When I am looking for something new here on FT, search is my first resource and most of the time it yields the info I seek. YMMV

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.