Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Hawaii (all islands)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by jerseygirl
I would absolutely go for any of the 2 BR tmeshares with kids Nice to have separate sleeping areas, living full kitchen, washer dryer

As for islands they are all beautiful

I like KoOlina on Oahu the most [too many people think of Oahu as only the city of Honolulu but in my opinion the scenery in Oahu is great], then Maui
I concur completely. We just returned from a week at Ko Olina on Oahu. Went there with reluctance knowing its proximity to Honolulu. The resort is fantastic for people of all ages. And we spent a couple of enjoyable days just tooling around the island. Saw the Dole Plantation, the North Shore with the incredible waves, and stopped at Turtle Bay for a look around. Also visited Mikimotos's Shave Ice. But Ko Olina exceeded our expectations and we would like to go back for two weeks next time. I just don't see how it could be beat in all respects. And having Costco, Safeway, and the other commercial areas really added a convenience factor that we hadn't anticipated.

Last edited by maltasr; Jan 9, 2010 at 3:37 pm Reason: Spelling error
Old Jan 9, 2010, 3:44 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Another advantage for KoAlina is that you can easily visit Pearl Harbor and Diamondhead, while enjoying the paradise surrounding the resort.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I agree on picking the island first. I've stayed at 6 properties on the 4 main islands and none of them is "bad". The least impressive one is on the Big Island but we went back again this year as it's our 2nd favorite island.

But with kids that age, I'd certainly recommend Maui, and preferably one of the properties in the Lahaina/Kaanapali area, though the Wailea isn't bad, just overpriced.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 5:37 pm

We've taken our 3 kids to the Maui Marriott, Kauai Marriott, Waikoloa Marriott and JW Ko Olina. Kids loved all of them and would be hard pressed to pick one favorite over another.

Be aware that the hotel pool at the Kauai Marriott is large and was VERY cold when we were there in Feb. and almost unswimable. My daughter was the only one in there, and she only went in once. Ko Olina pool was not quite as cold in Feb (though still a little chilly).

My kids' favorite hotel, if you can swing a few days there, was the Hilton Waikoloa. It can often be had for around $200/nt and is a great property, especially for the age children you have.

I would base my choice more on what the island offers rather than what the hotels offer. And this may be your first time there but it probably won't be your last.

Have fun!
Old Jan 9, 2010, 7:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver Elite, AA Lifetime Plat 4.5M, DL Medallion Lifetime Silver, DL MillionMiler
Originally Posted by gardener
My family enjoyed the LIH property. The kids boogie boarded right there at Kalapaki beach.

Pool is largest in all of HI. Grounds are spectacular with gardens and koi pond (daily feedings popular with kids).

Fitness classes were like $5 and free instructor led fitness walk every AM.

And the Duke's Canoe Club has excellent, reasonably priced food - try the Hula Pie! and can charge to your folio for extra Marriott points!
I believe this property originally opened as a Westin Resort and failed. Marriott pumped a fortune into it. We didn't care for it as a Westin, but as a Marriott it must be a choice property. Am I correct on its being a Westin?
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
"Formerly the Kauai Surf and Westin Kauai (1987), the resort was fully renovated by Marriott following Hurricane Iniki in 1992. "
Old Jan 9, 2010, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
"Formerly the Kauai Surf and Westin Kauai (1987), the resort was fully renovated by Marriott following Hurricane Iniki in 1992. "
I believe that was the 'cane that interrupted the filming of "Jurrasic Park" and left Steven Spielberg and crew stranded at the Kauai Hyatt. Must have been '92 or '93. The Hyatt recovered but the Westin did not. It must have given Westin a way down and out and provided a great opportunity for Marriott.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:16 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
To the OP: it really depends on what time of the year you are going, as well as what type of trip you want, and the flight options you have.

We used to live on Oahu, and since moving when my son was one year old, we've taken our kids back from Maryland (now they are 11 and 13, well, almost those ages) four times (or five I honestly forget right now). Since our flights with one stop always work out better to go to Oahu, we settle there for the week (too lazy to make another flight, but in 2011 we definitely plan a week on the Big Island then our week at Ko Olina).

We have such a relaxing time at Ko Olina! I do also agree with the others, that in Hawaii especially, a condo with two kids is perfect. Even if you can get a one bedroom (we did last time for 11 nights), you can get rollaways (we had two, as the sofa sleeper in our unit wasn't comfortable, but we had an older unit and were very happy with it). The older units at Ko Olina have a sitting room off the master bedroom with two doors that close, and it fits a rollaway with room to walk around it, plus the rollaways can go up on their side to put out of the way during the day).

Ko Olina has beautiful mandmade lagoons with nice snorkeling early in the morning, plus the new pool is a wonderful addition. We used the gas grills many times, and bought most of our food from Costco and Target 5 minutes away. Fresh fish steaks on the grill, plus a salad and rice (they will bring you a rice cooker) was a nice dinner (I brought spices and things from home). It's such a friendly community!

I'd definitely start checking on availability as soon as you know your dates. I've heard to use points at condos they book up early.

In 2008, we stayed two nights at the Moana Surfrider at Waikiki first, then went to Ko Olina for a week (were staying with friends in their unit). That was nice, as we were tired and just relaxed, and then did the grocery shopping thing. In 2009, we went directly to Ko Olina, checked in, then I went to Target to get us some things for the room (shampoo, etc.. and some foods). I was so tired as had two hours sleep the night before (plus a nap on the plane) plus it was late to me (time change) that I felt like I was in a dream. Ugh!

Let us know what you decide!
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:33 am

I have used points at KoOlina Beach Club (timeshare) to get 2 BR condos
What you might need to do is pay for some days (often weekends) cause this is harder to get with points and then use points for other days
Old Jan 15, 2010, 12:44 pm
PBQ

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold
We (DH 4 and 7 year olds) have been to 4 Marriott timeshare resorts in Hawaii - Ko Olina, Maui and 2 on Kauai.
We liked Ko Olina best because we enjoy the beach and pools. I think the beach is the best and widest at the Ko Olina although this Christmas the pools were cold. I believe the Ko Olina is the only resort to provide lounge chairs (free/first come first serve) at the beach.

We have always rented someone's timeshare which makes it much more enjoyable than a hotel room. We paid $1800 for a 2 bedroom condo Christmas week at the Ko Olina.

Bing "Marriott timeshare rentals (Name of Resort)" to find companies and availibility.
We have rented from sellmytimehsrenow.com timehsharesonly.com
Also check redweek.com to rent directly from the owner.
PBQ
Old Mar 15, 2010, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star
Marriott Hawaii Honeymoon

Hey all... My dad is going to use points to help pay for my Honeymoon in Hawaii. We were thinking of the JW but I know construction for the Disney Resort has been a big deal lately. I have read and read and read all reviews about the other resorts but cannot seem to pick one. Kauai would be nice but I do not know if that is that great of a hotel... Being a Hilton Diamond member we are going to stay at the Grand Wailea the last four nights.

Please help!!! We are both 28 years old and the Honeymoon would be Sept 20th through the 29th.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 12:38 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
Hello!

I have stayed at the following four Marriott Hawaii properties within the past 18 months:
JW Ihilani @ Ko Olina - Oahu
Marriott Waikiki - Oahu
Wailea Marriott Beach Resort - Maui
Marriott Kauai Lihue - Kauai

Here are my takeaways...

Many may disagree, but IMHO, i'd avoid Oahu. The JW is nice, but it's not THAT nice. The rooms are large, but the pool sucks. The cove is great, but they are building a huge disney resort right there and it's noisy by the cove. The Marriott Waikiki is fine, but it's no palace. You can get a great view of Waikiki. The pools there are about average, and the beach is right across the street. There are a lot of restaurants / shopping / things going on right there, though, so if you like the action, might be a fun spot.

Wailea Marriott Beach Resort in Maui is my favorite. This is a beautiful property, and as a plat, we were upgraded to a fantastic ocean view. There are lots of great restaurants near by, but it's also not too crazy in the area. You can drive to Lahaina (about 45 mins, if i recall - but could have been shorter! don't really remember) for a nice evening. The "adult pool" is so pretty. It's an infinity pool, and it's very quiet and perfect for reading a book and soaking in the sun. There's also a great kids pool too. The beach is off to the side near the Grand Wailea, and we thought it was nice too, but we're more pool people. To us, this was the perfect combo of paradise + actually having some life in the area!

Lihue Marriott - I love this hotel too! The pool here is fantastic. Huge pool with big fountains and surrounded by smaller hot tubs. Plus, the island of Kauai is definitely breathtaking. The Napali (sp?) coast, Waimea canyon, etc. Great for a helicopter ride. The Marriott is also really nice. This one is the furthest back, timewise, so I don't have a great memory of the rooms, but the facility is definitely beautiful. One thing to note is that Kauai is a very quiet island. Very little action. If you and your new spouse plan on just keeping it low key, then this is a great spot for you.

Okay so sorry for the rambling... if you have specific questions comparing those properties, I'm happy to chime in. So if I had to book a honeymoon in hawaii w/ marriott, based on the four properties above, I think I would book.... a couple days @ the Marriott Waikiki follwed by way more days at the Marriott Wailea. The only reason I'm suggesting Waikiki is that it is really famous beach, and it's interesting to see the city of Honoulu. Plus, if you have never been, Pearl Harbor is a great half-day trip. So you could fly to Honolulu, see the hustle and bustle, see pearl harbor, then take a little puddle jumper to Maui or Kauai for the rest of your trip.

Just my two cents. I'm sure others will have way more commentary!

(so in conclusion, avoid the JW on Oahu. i forgot to mention that we planned to stay there for 4 nights, didn't like it, so we checked out early and went to the waikiki marriott for 2 nights instead).
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by hungarianhc
Hello!
Wailea Marriott Beach Resort in Maui is my favorite.
Really nice.
We choose the Wailea for our Honeymoon at the End of Semptember 2010.
We hope to have a good time there.

We booked Oceanfront Rooms with Points, maybe we get an upgrade to so called "Ocean Facing Rooms" (I am Plat)
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum, American Airlines Gold
Avoid Oahu...whaaaat?

Hey all - I created another thread asking this fun community about the AI's that Marriott offers, but through reading replies and some research of my own, I opted for a honeymoon in Hawaii. Specifically, the JW in Oahu.

So, I'm somewhat distressed reading the above, as I scoured through TripAdvisor, etc., comparing each Marriott property in Hawaii. I actually called the JW last night and asked them straight up about any noise and disruption from the Disney construction. I was told that other than some unsightly cranes, the 'noise' has subsided significantly since they started breaking ground.

Anyways, it seemed that Oahu had the most to offer of all the islands, as after a couple of days I'm going to get tired of sitting on the beach staring at the waves. Oahu's got a lot: Diamond Hill, Pearl Harbor (sobering, but still interesting), an observatory, lots of tourist stuff, and not to mention we fly into HNL so there won't be the added cost of a puddle jumper. Plus, the JW looks decent enough and the lagoon(s) look neat.

Yes, parking at $39/day sucks, but what are you going to do.

The one thing I will add is that when I called the JW I was told that for an extra 20K a nite, I could upgrade to an ocean view room. Well, I'm Platinum so I'm going to roll-the-dice on this one and see what happens. Seems like a lot of extra points just for a better view, IMHO.

And FWIW, the 'adult only' Infinity pool at the other property was *almost* tempting enough to drag me away, but in the end, I think I made the right call.

Please feel free to chime in and let me know your thoughts.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 2:37 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum
I was at the JW 10 days ago...

the noise is ONlY noticeable from the beach, but it is VERY noticeable. As for pearl harbor / diamond head, those are both pretty quick. GF and I did those both in 2/3 of one day total. I have pics of the construction. I can upload later. I think you would be better off with Maui, but i'm sure you will be very happy either way.

btw, as far as asking the JW directly about noise, they're not very good there. We complained to them about the noise while there and got zero sympathy. So... I wouldn't put too much faith in what they say.

As for your room choice, i'm a plat and booked a standard room. I got an ocean view - so you're probably good to go there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.