Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Anaheim vs Sheraton Park Anaheim Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Anaheim vs Sheraton Park Anaheim Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2016, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by vickh

EZ walk w/ kids? or any better recc.s
ART Shuttle stop right on the property. ART shuttle is not free, but you can buy passes for it.

Or walk, but it's kind of far if you have little ones and/or after you spend the day walking throughout the parks.

-David
Old Jul 30, 2016, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Anaom
Gone are the deli meat tray, the veggie tray, and cheese and cracker tray. They have now replaced it with a sliced rollup sandwich (with too much mayo and tastes like they made it a week ago) cucumbers, celery, and tortilla chips with no salsa.
All those trays were present last week, and no roll-up.

My biggest problem with this hotel is that they do not participate in Make a Green Choice. It's California, in the midst of the greatest drought in history, and they have absolutely no environmental awareness.
Old Jul 31, 2016, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
My biggest problem with this hotel is that they do not participate in Make a Green Choice. It's California, in the midst of the greatest drought in history, and they have absolutely no environmental awareness.

Well that's quite a sweeping statement.

Cheers,
Old Aug 1, 2016, 3:17 am

Originally Posted by Sabai
I'm sorry to hear of these changes, despite its Mickey-centric focus, I often use this property when I'll be visiting both OC and LA counties (or alternatively, the Westin LB) It's a very nice Sheraton.

Perhaps heading a bit further south on Harbor Boulevard might be in order; in Garden Grove parking is $8 per day versus $14.

The Garden Grove property is not bad, but also not particularly memorable. It does the job of giving you a place to rest your head cheaply. It is nice being across the street from a TARGET for your travel needs, and there are a few "OK" restaurants around. The Garden Grove is at least clean and new, but without the Park's greenery and resort-ish feel.

If you don't need to be right in Anaheim, the Avenue of the Arts in Costa Mesa is a FANTASTIC choice, although the rate can vary wildly. I've seen as low as $108 and as high as $278, both on different unremarkable weekdays. Lots of great restaurants and bars around there.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
After reading through this thread, the Garden Grove specific thread, and the Menage specific thread, I'm confused. I think most of the posts in this thread are referring to the Park Anaheim when a hotel isn't named; is that correct? It sounds like the Park Anaheim is the one with a broken espresso machine, and the Garden Grove is the one that has put in a new voucher system to keep the lounge from being abused... but it's hard to tell.

I need to plan a family weekend at Disney (ugh) and it seems like all three of these are going to be awful. Any suggestions for which one is the worst of the bunch, knowing that all of them are pretty bad Starwoods?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:50 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SceneStealer7
I think most of the posts in this thread are referring to the Park Anaheim when a hotel isn't named; is that correct?
Generally, yes.

It sounds like the Park Anaheim is the one with a broken espresso machine
I don't recall it being broken last week.

Any suggestions for which one is the worst of the bunch, knowing that all of them are pretty bad Starwoods?
Location-wise, the Menage seems the best, and Garbage Grove would be the worst.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
Oops, should have written:
Which one is the BEST of the bunch, with all factors taken into account? It sounds like in your opinion, The Menage.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 12:12 pm

Which one is the BEST of the bunch, with all factors taken into account?
I've never stayed there, so I can't comment on it other than the location. For the other two, I've found the Sheraton Park is pretty much a basic Sheraton, but I don't really like the Garden Grove property (though I haven't stayed there in about three years).
Old Oct 26, 2016, 2:25 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
I'm happy to report the Park Anaheim has improved their lounge offerings. Breakfast now has three hot dishes and they were really good about having snacks available in the lounge at all times throughout the day.

The open bar is still a thing of the past but they gave each adult in my party a drink ticket at check-in.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Park now gives you the option of the breakfast buffet in the restaurant. They said it was something "new" they are doing when I checked in. Which is good because the offering in the lounge is pathetic. Hampton Inn's have a better selection. Not a single hot option up there (even oatmeal). I checked in past happy hour, but they still gave me a coupon for a drink in the bar - nice touch.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 12:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Had a nice 3 night stay over the holiday weekend. Upgraded to a nice suite with theme park views. Club lounge was less crowded than previous visits and they've removed the seating from the food room, which seems like a good move. Our lounge card was never checked by the attendance, but did include entry for out whole party (2 adults and 1 child). Lounge offerings continue to be basic at breakfast, but it's a good place to grab a (grocery store) bagel and some coffee before hitting the parks. We never visited in the evenings. I recognized the lounge attendant from many visits over the past several years.

Breakfast in the restaurant was also included (buffet) and we did that on our day of departure since we had more time in the morning. It was ok, but nothing special. My wife did get an omelette made to order, which was nice, but it was fairly chaotic, which was surprising because it was not crowded at all. They were out of glasses and bowls, which made things interesting. I ate oatmeal out of a coffee mug (classy, I know). Perhaps they had a big rush earlier in the morning and were still trying to catch up...

This continues to be a good option for visiting Disneyland. There are a couple of newer Marriott properties on Katella, but they were about double the price for our dates!

It might be time to update the thread title as the Sheraton Anaheim has been gone for a while now.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 10:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC, National EE
Anaheim SPG options

After reading through this thread, the Garden Grove specific thread, and the Menage specific thread, I'm confused... I need to plan a family weekend at Disney (ugh) and it seems like all three of these are going to be awful. Any suggestions for which one is the worst of the bunch, knowing that all of them are pretty bad Starwoods?
Originally Posted by Sam P. Goodman
…(The Park Anaheim Resort) continues to be a good option for visiting Disneyland. There are a couple of newer Marriott properties on Katella, but they were about double the price for our dates!

It might be time to update the thread title as the Sheraton Anaheim has been gone for a while now.
Or perhaps merge with the Garden Grove and Menage threads to create an "SPG Option in Anaheim" thread? Seems like a common question here while the other threads aren't very active. Over many years I’ve been to all the SPG Anaheim hotels as well as many others for both work and vacation. I’m heading back to the area next month (for work) so looked closely at the three SPG and nine MR options on Harbor Blvd.

As Sam mentioned, the Park is one of the better values in the area. It’s near the Convention Center if work brings you there, but not as big and impersonal as the Hilton and Marriott. They all have nice pools, but the Park’s north-facing rooms with balconies for front row seats to the fireworks (the Marriott has balconies but many views are obstructed), or the first floor rooms with patios facing the tropical landscaping around the pool, and pool bar with seat side service, make it more resort-like for a nice vacation destination. (The Hilton and Marriott do have poolside rooms but the pool surrounded on all sides by hotel rooms doesn’t feel as relaxing.) Parking isn’t cheap at any of them, but at the Park we almost always found a spot next to the side or rear entrance, so much more convenient than the other large hotels using garages. I like that the hotel is self-contained, but it’s closer to the GardenWalk Mall and the energy of the crowds on the street if one wants. They’re all a bit of a hike to Disneyland, but the ART shuttle from the hotel or the Disney parking shuttle from the lot across the street worked well. Overall the Park is a great choice.

I was at the Menage before renovations started and it needed a lot of work. The pictures of the renovated rooms look nice but not sure that will be enough to recommend it. The hotel has a sophisticated vibe, the restaurant was good and the pool area nice, but being right next to I-5 is a major distraction, and being on the wrong side of I-5 with not much around made it feel cut off from the Disney area energy. (Was there for work so didn’t care.) It’s also a hike to Disneyland, but the first stop on the ART, so there’s that, but it’s telling that all the other hotels around that intersection are even lower end than the Menage.

Garden Grove is a small, generic Sheraton but newer so in better shape. It's not near a freeway and also isolated from the Disney area so overall much quieter. There are a lot of nicer hotels around there, and it's great to now have elite access to the wider variety of MR options along Harbor, but as Sam found for his trip, none were cost effective for my trip either. Thus the GG is where I’m staying next month because 5 nights for 28k pts, including Club Lounge access via SPG Biz AMEX, decent pool and gym, and free parking a couple blocks away, it's one of the better deals in the area for a work trip on my own dime.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
Make a Green Choice not honored at Sheraton Park Anaheim Resort

I stayed at the Sheraton Park Anaheim Park Resort last weekend. During booking I selected the option to opt-in to Make a Green Choice and my booking confirmation included the opt-in.

After the stay posted to my account I noticed that MAGC points hadn't posted. I followed up with the hotel and got a reply that the don't participate in the program. I sent a screenshot of the booking confirmation that I received the morning of the stay that included the opt-in text and they agreed to honor it "as a one time courtesy" while still insisting they don't participate.

I tried making a test booking just now and they still offer the option. It could be a mistake on their part or perhaps they just don't want to give up the points without a fight. Perhaps one of the Lurkers could encourage them to fix it so others aren't mislead.

(as an aside, as hotels often "forget" to post MAGC points, perhaps they should have to post double points when guests have to contact them to correct it, it might encourage them to be a little more honest).
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:01 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Did your bed get made and new towels supplied during your stay?

If not, you have a strong claim. If they did get made/resupplied, then you should have mentioned it immediately to the front desk
Old Sep 28, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: AS MVP 75K, UA 1K, Bonvoy Plat.
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Did your bed get made and new towels supplied during your stay?

If not, you have a strong claim. If they did get made/resupplied, then you should have mentioned it immediately to the front desk
No, nothing was made up. They are honoring the points after I complained and they're continuing to take bookings offering MAGC, even though they say they don't participate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.