FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Sheraton Anaheim vs Sheraton Park Anaheim Resort [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/929470-sheraton-anaheim-vs-sheraton-park-anaheim-resort-master-thread.html)

TrojanHorse Mar 7, 2009 7:03 am

Sheraton Anaheim vs Sheraton Park Anaheim Resort [Master Thread]

Before you guys get into a tizzy and lose a nights sleep; I searched read all the way back to 2006 as there wasn't any point going any further than that

No my questions were not answered since most of the posts were from the first half of 2008 or prior and I'm looking for recent info

Sheraton Anaheim
I know there isn't a club lounge at the Sheraton Anaheim; I believe the lounge closed in 2002; the original thread said no plat b/f coupons.. is that still the case?

how much is parking these days?

Sheraton Park Anaheim Resort

there is a lounge - I read in one thread that they were charging for soda? is that still the case? is it just a continental b/f in the a.m.? what time do they open in the a.m.? what is their in the evening? is this one of those lounges that is open all day with a key? any computers (free) in the lounge?

parking - what are they gouging us for at this property?

resort fee - is this still free of resort fees?

of the two properties are there any special rooms/wings/other that I should be asking for just for the heck of it.. ie view etc

construction - any construction at either properties currently?

hhoope01 Mar 7, 2009 7:17 am

I can't believe that you would think FTers get into tizzies. :p

I'll be staying in Sheraton Park next week (on a C&P award). If you don't get any definitive answers before then, I'll ask and post back here on your Park questions.

Hvanv0405 Mar 7, 2009 11:49 am

my stay might have been out dated but last April we stayed at the Sheraton Park.

They don't offer free upgrades to the club level because "Food & Drinks" are free. . .plus kids are allowed. . OMG I loved our stay here.

We used 1K points a night to upgrade. . .originally booked Nights&Flights package for two rooms. . .took our moms and two 6 yr old boys and got airline tickets and 5 nights stay. We paid an extra 10K points for both rooms to be on Club Level floor and lounge access.

I've never been so spoiled. They were VERY nice and we could even take some beers back to our room (which included a sm mini fridge) and then headed back for cocktails and snacks from 5 to 7pm. . the only charge would have been on Prem. drinks. . not soda or anything.

They always had two hot apps and then veggie and cheese trays. . plenty for my kids to eat and they loved the big screen TV while our moms and us relaxed with some wine and margarita's.

Plenty of options for breakfast too. . .we even were okay taking juice and bottled water for our day at Disneyland. Also made PB&J sandwiches and covered lunch. Always tried to leave a nice tip since they were EXTRA accomodating.

My sister's family had planned a trip for last June and took their 3 kids. . i told them the club level was a must (even though they weren't even starwood members yet). They don't travel much and said that was the best stay they ever had. . .hard time getting the kids to get along and enjoy Disneyland but at least the loved the hotel and club level.

We used the public transportation to get around and had got a limo for airport to hotel service so not having a car i'm not sure what parking $ was.

Would return in a heartbeat but this July we're going to San Diego and going to try our luck with the US Grant (even with the kids) and visit Sea World.

JonathanIT Mar 7, 2009 1:29 pm

While I don't really get the previous post about Maui (?) I have stayed at the Sheraton Park several times last year. I stay frequently in the Anaheim area. I have also stayed at the Sheraton Garden Grove a few times, but have not tried the Sheraton Anaheim yet (the one with the castle theme).

Originally Posted by Hvanv0405 (Post 11376464)
They don't offer free upgrades to the club level because "Food & Drinks" are free. . .plus kids are allowed. . OMG I loved our stay here.

I have no idea what this means, but I received an upgrade to the club level each time I stayed at the Sheraton Park (SPG Platinum). The north facing rooms have a nice view over the small hotel on the corner of the Disney parks, and each room has a balcony (fireworks would be a nice view from here). The lounge is small but nice. The best thing about this hotel is the location, it is very close to Disneyland. Parking I believe was $12-15, can't remember exactly. With all the Hilton properties now charging for parking, I am not as upset about paying this now (lol).

I would not recommend the Sheraton Garden Grove... it is farther down Harbor Blvd. (across the street from Target, past Chapman Ave.) and their Club Lounge is closed on weekends, with no free breakfast offered to make up for it. The property is new (it just opened less than a year ago), but even still the Sheraton Park is nicer. But then again you didn't ask about that property either. lol

I plan to try the Sheraton Anaheim soon... even though there is no lounge, it is the only Sheraton in the area that offers suites so there is a possibility of an upgrade for Platinums. Although I do not know what the upgrade track record is at this hotel for elites.

Hvanv0405 Mar 7, 2009 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by JonathanIT (Post 11376819)
While I don't really get the previous post about Maui (?) I have stayed at the Sheraton Park several times last year. I stay frequently in the Anaheim area. I have also stayed at the Sheraton Garden Grove a few times, but have not tried the Sheraton Anaheim yet (the one with the castle theme).

yer right, i deleted it, just love Maui so much.

As for the upgrade thats what we were told. . no upgrades without paying or points. . .they don't off comp upgrades. . at least thats what the front desk mrg told us. . .then again was only gold at the time after just buying a timeshare. Hoping being Plat. now works well for us at the US Grant.

TrojanHorse Mar 7, 2009 5:39 pm

I don't see how they could not give CL access..

Complimentary Access to the hotel gym and Executive and Club Level lounge at Westin and Sheraton hotels and resorts.

Seattlenerd Mar 15, 2009 9:26 am

The Sheraton Park most definitely does give complimentary upgrades, at least to SPG Plats. We stayed there in early December and were upgraded to a Club Floor room with a Disney view. It's what I recommend any Plat request as an upgrade -- the view of the fireworks is excellent.

The Club Lounge, though I don't recall the exact hours, is open pretty early in the morning to accommodate guests trying to get to Disneyland for early entry hours. Complimentary breakfast is good, with several options.

I've never been there for the evening lounge snacks (since I tend to be at Disneyland those hours). But I've never heard of a charge for a soda.

We'll be returning next month, and I'll note any changes.

It is worth noting that the Sheraton Garden Grove-Anaheim South, the newest property, is much smaller than the Sheraton Park Anaheim, is too far to walk to Disneyland from (the Sheraton Park is about a ten-minute walk to the main ticket entrance and is even closer to the Disney Timon parking lot and the Anaheim Convention Center), and the Sheraton Garden Grove recently dropped in Starwood categories from a Cat 3 to a Cat 2. The Sheraton Park remains a Cat 3. And there are usually good AAA rates there, especially now, which makes it an excellent place for a Disney visit.

TrojanHorse Mar 15, 2009 11:10 am

Here is the rundown

Parking > Resort $14 Anaheim $10

Upgrade > Resort 1st floor room near check in; decent size - Anaheim > if so it wasn't noticeable

Lounge > Resort Yes for the plat access; did not make evening session; a.m. was standard continental, coffee juice, fruit cereal type; Anaheim None of course

Computer > Resort - about five free ones in the lobby; Anaheim; didn't see any but didn't ask; also Resort gave free wifi access code; Anaheim did not

Resort Fees - none at either property

construction - none noticed

CactusChowdah Mar 20, 2009 10:41 am

Can anyone who's stayed at Sheraton Park confirm or deny the "walkability" to Disney/CA Adventure? The hotel site says 5 minutes- google maps, it looks more like 15 minutes. Just want to make sure we don't set ourselves up for an afternoon of torture when coming back to the park. Thanks

TrojanHorse Mar 20, 2009 10:48 am

Just my two cents and I did not walk this but I did stay there and it "appears" to me its > a 5 minute walk. its close no doubt but 15 minutes is probably right in a nice slow stroll with the kiddies in tow

one issue is crossing a pretty big street (i forget the name) but its the one the hotel is on. Its not as big as Harbor blvd but its not a small side street either

NDDomer86 Mar 20, 2009 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 11445308)
one issue is crossing a pretty big street (i forget the name) but its the one the hotel is on. Its not as big as Harbor blvd but its not a small side street either

This would be Katella Avenue, the same street which the new Anaheim GardenWalk is located off of (restaurants and shops).

This property DOES charge for sodas outside of the regular window of 5-7pm.

hhoope01 Mar 20, 2009 5:25 pm

I'm in Park right now. Basically you have to walk 3 blocks to get to Disney. So how long depends on how fast you walk and how well you hit the lights. For us, it took closer to the 15 minutes timeframe, but we didn't try to walk it very fast either.

We were upgraded to a Club floor (14th) room facing Disney. The room also has one of the nicer walk out balconies, not the small one and has a small refrig in it. (According to the lady that checked me in, the Park only has 4 suite rooms. So upgrades to one of those is probably few and far between.) As has been mentioned, parking is $14/day. We weren't charged anything for some sodas yesterday around 3:00pm. Note that they don't have any drinks out. The attendant will pour everything including the sodas. During the 5:00-7:00 Cocktail time, all drinks are free (both alcholic and non-alcoholic). Basically, the evening snacks will include chips, salsa, guacamole, fresh fruits, 2 hot items and a vegetable tray.

Also, there is no free internet, but I was able to connect to the next door Portofino Inn's free i-net.

Seattlenerd Mar 20, 2009 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by CactusChowdah (Post 11445266)
Can anyone who's stayed at Sheraton Park confirm or deny the "walkability" to Disney/CA Adventure? The hotel site says 5 minutes- google maps, it looks more like 15 minutes. Just want to make sure we don't set ourselves up for an afternoon of torture when coming back to the park. Thanks

It's 5 minutes to the Disney Timon lot (directly across the main street) where you can take the Disney parking tram to the main entrance. Or, it's a 10-15 minute easy-paced walk to the main entrance without the shuttle.

Timon will eventually be closing to make way for Cars Land in Disney's California Adventure, but it was still open when I was there in December.

TrojanHorse Mar 20, 2009 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01 (Post 11447716)
Also, there is no free internet, but I was able to connect to the next door Portofino Inn's free i-net.

yes I totally forgot about that; but i did use that as well :D

slippahs Mar 21, 2009 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse (Post 11448258)
yes I totally forgot about that; but i did use that as well :D

I noticed the strength of the Portofino WIFI signal weakens as you move farther North in rooms. So perhaps the best balance of WIFI/view is a room in the center of the hotel?

I had a few gripes about this hotel when we stayed here last year but management was very responsive. A few of the complaints were: (1) leaking water about 1 foot into the room from the top of the glass patio doors after some rain showers (especially when my laptop got awfully close to being soaked on the desk), (2) parking machines not working properly (during rain showers, not fun), (3) elevator problems during the stay, and (4) noisy rooms that have connecting doors when the kids next door can't fall asleep because they're too excited about going to Dizzyland the next day. I'd stay here again since I like the view of Disney offered in the East facing rooms but would be careful to request a room without a connecting door.