Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 5, 2015, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: chrisdeaner
Expert Review (posted in Luxury Forum) from Jan 2018 from Villa stay:

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...encounter-2352

Restrictions on the Acceptance of US Currency

Due to recent local regulations, the acceptance of US Dollars in cash is now restricted across Mexico. Payments with credit/debit cards remain unaffected. Please provide arrangements to settle your accounts and other expenses with a credit card or in Mexican Pesos. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this may cause our guests.
FYI - the hotel also can't exchange USD<>MXN but they do have an ATM near the lobby (downstairs by the meeting rooms) that dispenses Pesos.
Print Wikipost

St Regis Punta Mita Resort, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2009, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by SleepDoc
I'll have to agree with CNW04LIFE. Any updates from mendycal or uapremier?????
Its kinda like a thread on the hhonors site where someone made a lengthy complaint, then was never heard from again.
I would think that after the two posters who had complaints about this property esp. ones as lengthy and as detailing as these would let us in on the status of those complaints. I am really looking forward to seeing what was the end result because I questioned some of the allegations that were made.
I can only hope these allegations made against this property have been resolved and that the posters who complained can let us in on the results.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
It amazes me how threads get skewed.
A. I agree with the spirit of the original posters, to let all of us know that SR Punta Mita has not had the shakedown every new resort needs, and that we should all we wary considering the investment any stay here will incur. Those OP's sounded perfectly sane and described the level of service I would expect at a FS/SR resort (as indeed I did recently at the SR Dana Point). I judge properties based on the level they advertise to give and whether or not they provide it. I would never expect high end toiletries at a Holiday Inn.

B. For a post to claim that because the OP's have not followed up to "finish the story, and therefore label the posts as allegations" is quite off base.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 7Continents
It amazes me how threads get skewed.
A. I agree with the spirit of the original posters, to let all of us know that SR Punta Mita has not had the shakedown every new resort needs, and that we should all we wary considering the investment any stay here will incur. Those OP's sounded perfectly sane and described the level of service I would expect at a FS/SR resort (as indeed I did recently at the SR Dana Point). I judge properties based on the level they advertise to give and whether or not they provide it. I would never expect high end toiletries at a Holiday Inn.

B. For a post to claim that because the OP's have not followed up to "finish the story, and therefore label the posts as allegations" is quite off base.
I cannot recall saying "finish the story" . What I am saying is that those two posters were quick to complain about this property, and if events happened as they claim, rightfully so.
I am just a little curious as to what the outcome of this story is. I do not think it is asking to much to ask someone for a follow up after such a dramatic entrance. I mean the OP claims a ten thousand dollar stay that was as I read it the worst stay that you could imagine. I would just like to know what spg is doing about these allegations.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:29 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Hmm I'm not sure I agree that this thread is being skewed... after all the word appalling was using in the title of this thread. CNWO4LIFE, myself and I'm sure other FT members would like to know what kind of resolution was made based on two very bad reviews of the resort. Neither uapremier or mendycal are new FT members. They've both been around since 05/06 with one posting more frequently than the other. Perhaps some resolution is in the works or perhaps neither really have nothing more to add. Who knows? I'll have to be quite honest, based on their reviews I wouldn't be the first to jump at a trip to this resort. Can either Lurker comment if any resolution is pending at least?
Old Jan 12, 2009, 3:50 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by SleepDoc
...Can either Lurker comment if any resolution is pending at least?
I have no idea who uapremier or mendycal are so I have no idea if Corporate Customer Service has been contacted regarding their complaints, or not.

I did, however, forward the thread to what I thought would be interested parties in the St. Regis brand corporate office.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 12, 2009, 4:53 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Executive Platinum, Delta Gold
Apologies fellow Flyertalkers, impatient and otherwise. I check this blog once every week or so and - quite honestly - don't enjoy speaking this way about any Starwood property. As I've said before, I go out of my way to stay in Starwoods wherever my travels take me around the world. Bums me out to have such a bizarre (if comical) experience, particularly since I don't consider myself a needy customer.

Anyway, as the Lurker suggested many moons ago, I composed the previously-quoted choice words with a few niceties to Customer Service. Within two days, I received a heads up that I'd hear back from the General Manager within five days. Sure enough, four days later I received this note:

"On behalf of the entire St. Regis Team, we would like to extend our most sincere appreciation for choosing us as your host for your last stay in Mexico. Thank you very much for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback regarding our services. We do apologize deeply that our services were not to your expectations. Please be assured that this is not representative of the St. Regis Standard. These comments have been reviewed in detail with our staff and we have taken the necessary course of action to ensure the services offered are 100% uncompromising.

"As a compensation for your experience at the Hotel,we are crediting the total of 70.000 starpoints to your Starwood Preferred card, so you may use them at your convenience.

"Once again, thank you for choosing The St. Regis Punta Mita Resort, your second home in the Riviera , Nayarit Mexico. We hope you will consider visiting us in the near future. Please feel free to contact me if I may be of assistance to you in any way."

For what it's worth, I stayed for six nights on points (a balmy 35K a night - since I booked a week before, it would've cost me $1,500/night cash money). Amazingly (rather, coincidentally), that's exactly what I'd predicted Starwood would compensate me. This was my first compensation request, so I can't comment on whether I think I could've gotten more, but I was more concerned about the principle than extracting another free night or something. As my body clock will tell you, I have enough of those.

I sincerely hope that St. Regis PM does achieve the level of service expected of ultra luxury resorts. But were I asked to bum advice, I'd wait for updates from others and head to Hawaii or Laguna Beach. Don't get me wrong - I agree with many of the comments that the people are nice and eager to please (if wildly undertrained), the infrastructure is excellent, the setting incredible and the weather nearly unbeatable. But especially at 35K/night or roughly $1K for a decent room, it's not the service quality or overall experience one would expect from St. Regis.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Mendycal --

Just wanting to thank you for your thoughtful follow up and your gracious tone. Feedback such as yours is exceptionally helpful to both the St Regis brand and to your fellow FTers.

I'm disturbed to read here on FT and elsewhere online that the staff preparedness and competency seem to be woefully lacking. Any guest booking into a St Regis hotel should have an expectation that service levels will be on par with Ritz-Carlton or Four Seasons.

I'm with you in your hopes that the property makes quick work of addressing their training needs. This is a wonderful part of Mexico and, by all accounts, a fabulous facility.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 5:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG LT Plat, AA 3MM EXP
Originally Posted by mendycal
"As a compensation for your experience at the Hotel,we are crediting the total of 70.000 starpoints to your Starwood Preferred card, so you may use them at your convenience.
Nice! That is a great compensation. With that, you could stay 6 nights at the Westin in Cayman or St. Maarten to forget about it!
Old Jan 12, 2009, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Glad to hear that *wood made good to some extent in compensating for a lousy stay.

FWIW, folks who do make it to this or neighboring resorts might want to check out the nearby (something like 15-25 minutes drive) town of San Francisco, more commonly known as San Pancho. My wife and I rented a nice house just on the outskirts of it in April 2007. It's gradually being built up, but at least back then it was a quiet little place with some very nice restaurants (with very good hygienic standards), some tourist shops and a nice mile-long beach. A nice change from a resort, if you're in the mood for such a change. It's likely to remain on the quiet side because except for the very end the surf is too rough to swim, of course has its disadvantages but keeps it from being overused.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Mendycal. It seems there is a problem at this property seeing the amount of compensation you were awarded and deserved. Thanks again.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
Hi everybody,

Aren't we a little impatient and critical? I literally received an email late last night. I did not mean to leave you all hanging, but I do have a job and SPG customer service needed time to respond.
As indicated by Mendycal's post, Starwood's response was to offer 70,000 starpoints to me as well.
Most importantly, I hope Starwood gets their act together with this hotel as it has the potential to be an excellent property.
And I really have to agree with Mendycal. I don't like complaining about Starwood properties as I think SPG is an excellent company and treats me well.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Damn! I am jealous!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 4:59 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Thanks mendycal and uapremier for the updates! All of us here on FT do appreciate that you guys followed up on the situation. There are way too many times when that's not the case when things go wrong and there is no follow up. Hopefully the compensation will ease your painful experiences and hopefully this resort will learn it needs to seriously revamp it's service. Now who here wants to make another trip and do a re-review after the changes have been made?!
Old Jan 13, 2009, 8:34 am

Programs: marriott platinum, intercontinental diamond
[".... We do apologize deeply that our services were not to your expectations...."]

Is it just me or are others also annoyed when an "apology" includes this language. Makes it sound like the guest is being unreasonable.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 1:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have to say that it is threads like this that make Flyertalk invaluable. I was looking at FS Punta Mita for a 5-10 room group this Summer and I thought I would check out the new St. Regis as well. The OP's post is succinct and specific and I would be disappointed if I encountered even half the problems experienced by the OP. I'm not even going to bother pricing this resort now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.