Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SLS at Beverly Hills, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SLS at Beverly Hills, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2018, 9:09 pm
JBD

New dining options within easy walking distance

I'm probably too late for the above poster's stay, but for others wanted to share that 4 new dining options are now up and running in the renovated Beverly Center mall - but what's good is that they're located at streetlevel on the corner of Third and La Cienega so no need to go into the mall at all. (The mall's massive overhaul is not yet finished and more dining options are slated than the ones I'm listing below - but most of the mall's revamp is now onview - and it's still inherently depressing! IMO of course).

You can enter Farmhouse directly from La Cienega, and Cal Mare and Yardbird (as well as Farmhouse), are entered from the Third Street Valet entrance (just west of La Cienega), and they can also be accessed from La Cienega, just north of Farmhouse's entrance, via a pedestrian walkway to that Third St Valet area.

Eggslut is actually on the corner of Third St and San Vicente, but also streetlevel.

I won't bother to add links to LA Eater, Yelp or what have you, but these places are getting a lot of write ups. Here's the link to Beverly Center's Dining page, and from there you can access the links to the individual places - and also eventually you'll see on that page links to the rest of places scheduled to open:
https://www.beverlycenter.com/dining/directory

Here's a screenshot showing this corner's proximity to the SLS:
Old May 4, 2018, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think I've mentioned these before, but I think Son of a Gun is one of the best restaurants in LA (east of the end of that walk about two blocks) and there's Joan's on Third in the same block that has great prepared foods, food you can eat there, coffee, and dessert.
Old May 4, 2018, 11:29 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by josephstern
I think I've mentioned these before, but I think Son of a Gun is one of the best restaurants in LA (east of the end of that walk about two blocks) and there's Joan's on Third in the same block that has great prepared foods, food you can eat there, coffee, and dessert.
For sure Joan's on Third! It's discussed on this thread for years now, and it definitely is still a good recommendation. I was checking out the SLS website, and on its Location page under "The Local List" it suggests starting your day there with breakfast.

If anyone's interested, Joan's has recently begun offering pasta nights - I've been meaning to check it out. Here's an article about it from LA Eater:
Joan’s on Third Adds Top-Flight Pasta to Boost the Evening Crowd
josephstern likes this.

Last edited by JBD; May 4, 2018 at 11:39 pm Reason: Removed link
Old May 6, 2018, 6:53 am

Stayed here for 4 nights x 3 room reservations mid April.

Couple points:

- they are going through a major renovation. With only (allegedly) about 1/4 of their guest rooms available at any given time.
- Bazaar is a great restaurant from food, ambiance and service
- Hotel service was excellent
- Rooms are dated and could use some sprucing

For location to Beverly Center / city area you can't beat it. However the nightly rate I just don't think is worth what they are charging. For slightly more (weekday stay), we could have easily picked from a handful of other locations where everything would have been impeccable. I probably won't give this place another shot until the reno is fully completed.

We switched our flights which required us to take advantage of a 4pm check-out on our final day. Front desk gave me flack over my other two rooms and told me they could only honor a 4pm checkout on my room (Plat holder), even though all rooms were booked and paid under my name and card. I have never had this happen to me at an SPG and/or Luxury collection before in my life, with the exception of a convention center and resort location. I assume it was due to their reduced number of rooms available.
Old May 6, 2018, 7:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by emcnj
We switched our flights which required us to take advantage of a 4pm check-out on our final day. Front desk gave me flack over my other two rooms and told me they could only honor a 4pm checkout on my room (Plat holder), even though all rooms were booked and paid under my name and card. I have never had this happen to me at an SPG and/or Luxury collection before in my life, with the exception of a convention center and resort location. I assume it was due to their reduced number of rooms available.
As per the T&Cs, you're only supposed to get the perks affiliated to Plat status for your room only - any hotel that gives you more does so at their own discretion. Clear black-and-white from SPG.com's Member Benefits below:

"While an SPG® member may earn stay and night credits and Starpoints® for up to three rooms if he or she pays for all rooms and stays in one of them for the entire length of stay, it is only the one room occupied by the member that is eligible to receive any available in-hotel benefits. No in-hotel benefits apply to a second or third room on a member’s reservation."

I've had some hotels honor late check-out across multiple rooms I book as a courtesy, whereas others couldn't extend it without an extra charge or requiring the rooms for other guests so my party would have to move stuff over to the room I was in. Never hurts to ask, but shouldn't be expected outright either.

khabah
Old May 11, 2018, 12:56 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Well, I stayed here on Friday (May 4th) and had a relatively nice experience. Doorman/bellman/valet opened the door for me as I drove up in the Lyft, took my bags inside, checked me in promptly, etc. I'd emailed previously asking for a room on the quiet side due to being noise sensitive, and they accommodated that - I faced away from La Cienega. Room was excellent - obviously it's pre-renovation, so this review won't be useful for much longer, but I had no issues. I thought there was plenty of lighting. Very comfortable bed, the shower actually had a door that closes instead of one of those half-open things hotels like to do, and I rather liked the layout. They also have a house car that can take you anywhere within three miles of the hotel, though it's first come, first serve - they drove me to the car rental place about a mile away after I checked out.

Didn't get a chance to try the restaurant(s), as I was too tired for a fancy sit-down meal, but there's also a lot of quicker places in the area: in addition to the Beverly Center, there's also the Beverly Connection, which has places like CVS, Starbucks, etc if you need anything.

Only hiccup was the lack of coffee maker: I called down for one, and it took them about 15 minutes to bring it up. Then it turned out they'd brought up only decaf pods, so I had to call again, and they didn't actually bring up the caffeinated ones before I had to check out. They e-mailed me afterwards to apologize for this, which was nice, but for a hotel at this price point, I'd expect not to wait half an hour for coffee.

They'd also warned me there would be renovation noise, but I didn't hear any. I was staying Fri-Sat, and they do work on Saturdays on the renovations. Perhaps I slept through it, but they also mentioned they put me in a room as far away from the renovation noise as possible.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

accor just acquired 50% of SLS brand parent co sbe
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/acco...-firm-sbe.html

but hotel is not owned by sbe, so may keep marriott
Old Jul 15, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold

Old Jul 16, 2018, 5:34 pm

renovations ongoing?

We are staying here soon and were wondering if the renovations have been completed in the rooms? Any rooms or floors to avoid?

Thanks!
Old Aug 20, 2018, 2:40 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by spellbound2
We are staying here soon and were wondering if the renovations have been completed in the rooms? Any rooms or floors to avoid?
Assuming you stayed already, did you have a stay in a renovated room or suite? Any word on the status of the renovations from you or anyone else who has stayed recently?

We will be back in October for a weekend stay. Looking forward to seeing the new look rooms/suites (and dinner at the new Somni!).
Old Sep 2, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Looks like the renovation has been completed for all 234 rooms and 63 suites:

The SLS Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? $22 Million Investment in Design Tells a New Story for the Iconic Hotel upon its 10-Year Anniversary | Marriott News Center

I’m most excited to check it out for my upcoming stay in mid-October.

Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, IHG (Platinum Elite), Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Bonvoy, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Looks like the renovation has been completed for all 234 rooms and 63 suites:

The SLS Hotel, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Beverly Hills? $22 Million Investment in Design Tells a New Story for the Iconic Hotel upon its 10-Year Anniversary Marriott News Center

I’m most excited to check it out for my upcoming stay in mid-October.

Please post some pics if you can. I'm really curious to see what their renovation looks like. I stayed in an unrenovated room in May and rather liked the design, personally.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ate at Bazaar recently and the lobby is unchanged. I assume the renovation is only about the rooms?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by josephstern
I ate at Bazaar recently and the lobby is unchanged. I assume the renovation is only about the rooms?
Yep.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Amazing stay so far

I’m 3 nights into my 4 night stay, and all I can say is I really like this property. SLS Suite upgrade is amazing. Service again has been superb in every way. Air con works beautifully. Dinner our first night at Somni was worthy of a 3* Michelin restaurant. Sunday brunch was overpriced but very good—but we wouldn’t do it again. Breakfast is a bit lean in terms of Plat benefit (cold Continental only) but the buffet is high quality if on the small side and the cooked dishes were excellent. In room dining has been fantastic. Tonight I’m meeting friends for dinner at the Bazaar. New room decor is much lighter and fresher—but bathrooms are the same as far as I can tell. Hoping to check out a few other room categories before I depart.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.