Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Originally Posted by acker
Stayed @ Essex House in June for 2 nights. Loved the location, the front desk staff, and the room. Had somewhat of a view of Central Park. Used points.
Lounge had fruit, eggs, meat, Fage yogurt, pastries, smoked salmon, breads/bagels, juice, and more. Staff in lounge awful, downright rude, where do they find staff like that? Coffee is lousy, easily solved by grabbing a coffee once out and about. I'd stay here again, no question.
Ate at Serafina which is a couple blocks away - sat outside and loved watching Times Square from a distance.
Lounge is important to me so I choose a lounge over no lounge every time.
Thanks for the response. I think that's my decision as well.

Hoping to get an upgrade from a queen room to something with a park view. Hard to believe it is almost double the points from a standard queen to a park view.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by danhunterpost
Trying to decide between the Ritz Central Park or JW Essex House. Definitely want to stay near Central Park and use Marriott Points.

Any my recent experiences with lounge or breakfast at the Ritz being a Marriott Platinum?

I'd love an upgrade but don't need one. Hoping for at least a Park view.

I think the lounge at JW is what tips the scales for me if I don't get breakfast or lounge access at the Ritz.

Am I missing anything here?
I have stayed at both on quite a few occasions. You won't get access to the club lounge at the RC unless you pay or use the RC credit card club certificates. It is really nice but expensive. The club lounges at the RC are much nicer and the staff at the Central Park lounge is great. The atmosphere is very relaxed. The last time I used points at the RC and inquired about adding the club lounge, it was $400 per night extra.
I do like the Essex house and the lounge offerings are much better than what I have experienced at other Marriotts. It does get really crowded at times and becomes a bit of a hassle.
I don't think you can go wrong at either place.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:09 am

Upcoming stay at the Renaissance New York Hotel 57 - reservation says:

Renovation Information – Restaurant closed for renovation thru early January 2018. Breakfast will be served to Marriott Rewards Platinum/Gold Elite Members Mon-Fri plus evening bar service Mon-Fri.
Does anyone know what this actually means for Gold members?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by No Clue
I have stayed at both on quite a few occasions. You won't get access to the club lounge at the RC unless you pay or use the RC credit card club certificates. It is really nice but expensive. The club lounges at the RC are much nicer and the staff at the Central Park lounge is great. The atmosphere is very relaxed. The last time I used points at the RC and inquired about adding the club lounge, it was $400 per night extra.
I do like the Essex house and the lounge offerings are much better than what I have experienced at other Marriotts. It does get really crowded at times and becomes a bit of a hassle.
I don't think you can go wrong at either place.
I likely mentioned it before on this thread...I agree 100%. Even my husband, who hates buffets and club lounge breakfasts, was quite impressed with the quality and selection. The breakfast service is shared with the restaurant next door, the buffet area is the connector between the restaurant and the lounge.

It was busy when we were there but the staff did an excellent job at managing the crowds. Evenings weren't quite as bad.

We stayed on points. No park view but our suite was so huge, we were happy.

I went back and forth debating between the RC and Essex House and I was glad I picked Essex, the lounge access was definitely worth it.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Mileage Plus 1K, AA Executive Plat, Marriott Ambassador Elite
did I miss an announcement of the 3rd Autograph property in NYC leaving the brand? I can't even remember the name. Have stayed at Lexington and Algonquin, had yet to stay at the other, but now I see its no longer on the website.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CALMSP
did I miss an announcement of the 3rd Autograph property in NYC leaving the brand? I can't even remember the name. Have stayed at Lexington and Algonquin, had yet to stay at the other, but now I see its no longer on the website.
Carlton. Someone mentioned it up thread or in its own thread. Left a couple of months ago I believe.

Cheers.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by CALMSP
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Carlton. Someone mentioned it up thread or in its own thread. Left a couple of months ago I believe.

Cheers.
I did but in the Carlton thread in June.

David
Old Aug 6, 2017, 7:31 am

looking to book a 5 night stay with points at either the Residence Inn jersey city or the RI world trade center...

the path costs $30 for a week pass so the extra commute to NYC is not a huge factor each day but its still something to consider....

are the rooms much bigger/better at Jersey City ? the reviews for both are very high

want to be downtown but is the Central park RI much nicer than either of the two i've chosen? if so, i'd consider the central park RI if close to subway...but the RI WTC has very good subway access all around it....also i believe the CENtral park RI is 160k points for 5 nights.......the former two mentioned are 140k points for 5 nights...
Old Aug 6, 2017, 8:48 am

using the 8th to the 13th.

RI Central park - lowest rate/night 246 OR 40k pts/night

RI WTC - lowest rate 294/night OR 35kpts/night

do most think that is misleading or is there justification for that ? i also noticed that most of the available rooms for central park RI are city view rooms and not park view rooms

anyone had opportunity to stay at both (or all 3 including RI jersey city) yet ?
Old Aug 6, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bc1549
want to be downtown but is the Central park RI much nicer than either of the two i've chosen?
If you want to be downtown, I would stay downtown. That's a long subway ride and it gets old going back and forth.

The other thing I would say is that the RI Central Park is nice for a RI. It's still not the Four Seasons.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
looking to book a 5 night stay with points at either the Residence Inn jersey city or the RI world trade center...

the path costs $30 for a week pass so the extra commute to NYC is not a huge factor each day but its still something to consider....

are the rooms much bigger/better at Jersey City ? the reviews for both are very high

want to be downtown but is the Central park RI much nicer than either of the two i've chosen? if so, i'd consider the central park RI if close to subway...but the RI WTC has very good subway access all around it....also i believe the CENtral park RI is 160k points for 5 nights.......the former two mentioned are 140k points for 5 nights...
For the extra 20k (< $70 cash equivalent value) I'd pick the RI Central Park, unless your actual travel pattern puts it very far out of the way.

i also noticed that most of the available rooms for central park RI are city view rooms and not park view rooms
Yes, but they're 30-60 floors up, and right on Times Square, so the city views are actually quite good (edit to clarify: not necessarily of Times Square). And IIRC a couple of the lines have river views.

Originally Posted by bdschobel
You can usually save a little money staying at the Courtyard that sits directly below the Central Park RI. They share the same building.
OP is redeeming points. CY is cat 8. RI is cat 8. Price difference is 0.

Originally Posted by Kacee
The other thing I would say is that the RI Central Park is nice for a RI. It's still not the Four Seasons.
Sure, but OP is considering RIs, so I don't think OP is expecting the Four Seasons.

Last edited by bennos; Aug 8, 2017 at 4:28 am Reason: clarification
Old Aug 7, 2017, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
We had a city/river view (not a corner) and we liked the view a lot. It was really funny one morning they were interviewing someone on CNBC and this big, green roofed building was in back of the guy they were interviewing, and it was right outside the window! We could not see Times Square at all.

The difference in "value", if not in price, comes if you eat breakfast in the hotel, RI is free, CY (or going out) you have to pay.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bennos
Sure, but OP is considering RIs, so I don't think OP is expecting the Four Seasons.
IMO this property is oversold in this forum. Nice views, tiny rooms, lots of corridor noise.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
IMO this property is oversold in this forum. Nice views, tiny rooms, lots of corridor noise.
Depends on the very odd shaped layout and room. Ours was very quiet, sort of tucked away. And the bathroom/kitchen combo (which was a little yuck) was a buffer between us and the hall. The halls are so short I can't believe you had lots of people walking by?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 7:41 am

unfortunately i waited too long for Central Park RI and its not available anymore..

whats the main differences between RI and CY central park? i'm not debating 160k for CY central or 140k for jersey city RI or 140k for world trade center RI.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.