Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, 1MM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, EI Concierge
Recommend suites in New York

Hi,

Travelling to NY in November for my daughter's 16th birthday treat. I am looking to use points but want Suites or Residence inn type accommodation rather than a double double guest room.

Looking on the site there does not seem to be many properties with a closable door to a suite / sofabed area......any help or recommendations appreciated. Really need to be in Manhattan....
Old Jul 22, 2012, 6:12 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I would give Marriott Reservations a call, let them know what you are looking for and see if they can help you find something. You might also have some luck calling some of the FS hotels to see what suite types they have.

Another option that might work is to see if any of the downtown hotels have connecting rooms.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:17 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Both the Marriott Marquis and Renaissance Times Square have suites with a seperate living room and bedroom and both are located on Times Square. Not sure if the price is within your budget but I would check. The Marquis has also pretty large rooms with king/double beds and sofabeds and they also have connecting rooms.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:19 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
do either of these props offer suites for points (or as points + extra points/cash upgrade) as that was the OPs initial request?

Originally Posted by sammyindc
Both the Marriott Marquis and Renaissance Times Square have suites with a seperate living room and bedroom and both are located on Times Square. Not sure if the price is within your budget but I would check. The Marquis has also pretty large rooms with king/double beds and sofabeds and they also have connecting rooms.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 7:26 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by BKKLEE
do either of these props offer suites for points (or as points + extra points/cash upgrade) as that was the OPs initial request?
The Marquis offers a cash upgrade to suites & deluxe rooms (or free upgrade for elitea and if available). I was there this past weekend and received a free upgrade to a suite with Times Square view on a points stay.

I know I received a Platinum upgrade to a suite at the Renaissance on a points stay but I don't recall the types of upgrades for non-elites.

Note: Make sure to mention you want a suite with a seperate bedroom as a lot of what they consider a "suite" is just a larger room with a sitting area.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you want to get a suite soley on points, the best bet is the Residence Inn Times Square. No where else offers confirmable online-bookable suites. You could try to book a standard room and pay up to a suite at some of the hotels - you'd have to call the hotels and speak to a front office manager to confirm that. The Marquis definitely has the largest distribution of suites - especially if you're looking for one with 2 beds.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 4:37 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
If you want to get a suite soley on points, the best bet is the Residence Inn Times Square.
I just checked that RI and they only list studios for awards. The OP would need to either call the hotel directly or call MR customer service and see if they will call the hotel and ask if they would allow an awards reservation for a 1 or 2 bedroom suite room.

BTW, I noticed that the RI has minimum night limits for Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturday night award stays (i.e. 2 or 3 night minimums).
Old Jul 23, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Waldorf Astoria/Towers
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
I just checked that RI and they only list studios for awards. The OP would need to either call the hotel directly or call MR customer service and see if they will call the hotel and ask if they would allow an awards reservation for a 1 or 2 bedroom suite room.

BTW, I noticed that the RI has minimum night limits for Tuesday/Wednesday/Saturday night award stays (i.e. 2 or 3 night minimums).

that's my problem....am only seeing studios....has anyone stayed at the RI and can confirm there is two room suites....ie with a closable door to the sofabed area ?
Old Jul 24, 2012, 9:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Danash
that's my problem....am only seeing studios....has anyone stayed at the RI and can confirm there is two room suites....ie with a closable door to the sofabed area ?
Call the hotel & ask them. If you're outside the US, call on Skype.

Cheers.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Danash
They definitely do. Do a search for 8/26 for 1 night & you'll see the one-bedroom suite. They have 2 bedrooms suites too - but they don't sell them publically - try calling the hotel directly for those.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Same here. $150 for a hotel in Manhattan? Sign me up.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by bhatnasx
They definitely do. Do a search for 8/26 for 1 night & you'll see the one-bedroom suite. They have 2 bedrooms suites too - but they don't sell them publically - try calling the hotel directly for those.
Will try that..thanks skiadcock as well....
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:38 am

Programs: status free since 2017
NYC hoteler - Area suggestions besides Times Sq

I have been living at Renaissance Times Sq, NYC for last 2 months (45+ nights in 2months) and pretty bored with the TS area. Looking for a change in scenery... Times Sq was never very attractive to me but its becoming intolerable now. I would really like to try spending some time in uptown or downtown areas. Boutique hotels are a great choice for uptown but I don't get any points for those.

I did some research on possible Marriott options and here they are:
  • Renaissance 57
  • Marriott East Side
  • CY Upper East
  • Carlton/ Algonquin
  • CY Marriott SoHo
  • Marriott Brooklyn

I work by Grand Central so the first two in list are definitely much closer to work than other ones. I would really like to hear from folks how do they compare to Renaissance TS? Specifically room sizes? With my amount of stay at this property (and Platinum status), I get the room of choice (except suite)... current room is 370sqft according to Marriott website. I can't find any property to match this room size.

Renaissance 57 was terrace lounge and terrace rooms which would be pretty awesome but past threads show a lot of complaints about the room size. I dropped W, Times Sq from my list because their regular rooms were small and 10-12 day long stays probably don't get upgraded to suites. SoHo and Upper East Marriott look like good locations but they are CY properties which are a big step down from a Renaissance.

Pricing - It doesn't matter.

Points - They do matter. This is the biggest reason for me to avoid RI near Bryant Park despite of my longer stays.

Comments? Suggestions? Help much appreciated.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 4:18 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
from personal stays, I can help with:

Renaissance 57
Marriott East Side: great CL lounge, especilayyly in late summer/fall. Beautiful outside patio, better than average offerings. Historic hotel with boutique feel. Good service. Location is good. Biggest drawback is room size...definitely not the size of the Ren, plus bathroom was small. reports indicate there are even smaller ones...so if room size is really important to you, this could be an issue. Overall, if you can find a room you like, this would be my first recommendation for you.
CY Upper East - rooms are HUGE. We had a corner room with great view of Chrysler Building - there were 2 Q in the room, we had a roll away brought in and stll had plenty of space for 3 women and all their holiday shopping! Staff was excellent and location is good. No brekkie and no lounge but you haven't had a lounge at the Ren, so no loss there. If you don't care about breakfast, then this is an excellent choice and I can highly recommend it.
Carlton/ Algonquin - have not stayed here, rooms do not get great reviews, and as I have a history with some other Marriott's do not want to risk it. But I have eaten in the restaurant several times, especially when stayin at CY Uppper East Side, and it was good food in a great historic dining room.
CY Marriott SoHo
Marriott Brooklyn

I have not stayed at the Brooklyn Marriott, but it gets decent reviews. You don't mention Financial District...another one that gets good reviews on FT. Neither location works for me, and seem pretty far for you.

There are LOTS of threads on all these hotels ... do a quick search and you can get others opinions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.