Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Marriott-family hotels in "xx" means all Marriott brand hotels in that city. It does not mean hotels that are family friendly, although there could be some family friendly ones on the list. But it refers to the various brands. Marriott-family hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc, & trip reports are usually in the property specific threads."

​​​​​​​
Print Wikipost

Marriott-family hotels in Manhattan (NYC) (thru Oct. 2018) [Merged threads]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2008, 7:07 pm

If you believe that your stay could stretch out into several weeks, you might want to try the Residence Inn on 6th at roughly 38th. Call the res. dept at the hotel itself; you should be able to negotiate a favorable rate.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Considering all the good info you guys have shared.

One thing to consider is that I'll have to work 6 12-hour days when there, probably 6AM - 6PM (or 7), so I may miss breakfast and also the evening CL food.

I'll be there day-to-day, won't know how long I'm staying, so can't negotiate long term rates. Also can't prepay for the same reason.

I will probably have a week or two before I need to book, so I'll have time to check all of the codes.
Old Jul 9, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Is the Marriott Downtown out of the question? I know some of the weekday rates can be horrendous but I have often seen 'Look No Further' opportunities for this particular property which can bring the price down to a more manageable level. As mentioned previously, Premium Pounds coupons would also make a big dent in the price.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
When checking marriott.com yesterday, I didn't see as many hotels in NYC available with our corporate rate. Since there are many of us employees potentially travelling for work, I think our corporate travel agent is sitting on most of the rooms at our rate.

You can only imagine my reaction when I heard from a friend that my employer will probably assign me a room (presumably the cheapest room they can find) and a roommate.

Well, that has only increased the urgency to find a room I like (will probably need 2 beds) at the best rate available. I made a reservations at a couple of candidate hotels and found out that I had already invoked the Plat guarantee. I may request a LNF rate soon.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
Considering all the good info you guys have shared.

One thing to consider is that I'll have to work 6 12-hour days when there, probably 6AM - 6PM (or 7), so I may miss breakfast and also the evening CL food.

I'll be there day-to-day, won't know how long I'm staying, so can't negotiate long term rates. Also can't prepay for the same reason.
IIRC, there's not much around the Brooklyn property after hours in the way of shops, restaurants, etc. You might fare better with a different property that is closer to some delis, restaurants, etc.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Avis First
category codes/ranks? - especially in NYC

Do you guys know how they truly rate the Marriott Category Codes/Ranks (1-7) Technically, its the Rewards Category value.

My question is that almost EVERY hotel in NYC / Manhattan is considered at 7 ( or at least a 6).

How is that true?

I had heard that to be a Class 7 ... it had to be a resort, or have a water view, or a spa, or at least "n" restaurants, etc.

So how does a Courtyard or a Residence Inn quality as a Reward 7?

Any thoughts ... i assume this is 100% because the cost of living in NYC manhattan justifies that many points/dollars are necessary. But it sure sounds pretty crappy to get a Courtyard for the same amount of points i could get a JW Marriott in Ko Olina.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:19 pm

I'm quite convinced that the location of the hotel is the primary determining factor for the category. I've stayed in some pretty mediocre looking rooms in pretty ordinary looking hotels ranked as category 5 and up. Those hotels were in prime destination cities. I've stayed in delightful rooms in marvelous hotels ranked as low as category 3. These were in less popular locations. It looks like if it's in the right location, it's a minimum of category 5.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
There was actually a thread on this at one time. You might want to do a search & see if you can dig it up. Cheers.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Starwood has confirmed that their categories are simply based on average rates - the more cash the room costs, the higher the category. I'd assume Marriott is the same - it makes sense business-wise, and explains the NYC categories.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I believe someone from Marriott has stated at one point that it was based on demand for award redemption. Makes sense - supply and demand driving the price (award level). And room rate, as SPG says they use, is a pretty good proxy for demand, so the two are roughly analogous.

It makes more sense to me than "water view", "spa", etc.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 3:59 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by AustinFlyer76
I had heard that to be a Class 7 ... it had to be a resort, or have a water view, or a spa, or at least "n" restaurants, etc.
Given that most resorts are actually Cat. 6 or less, I would say what you heard is not correct. In fact, my favorite resort Marriott anywhere is a Cat. 6 property (Harbor Beach Marriott). My understanding has always been similar to what others here are saying, that it is based on the nightly rate and possibly the amount of awards purchased for that property. If that is true, then it makes perfect sense that most of the properties in major downtown locations like NYC and London would be Cat. 7, even if they aren't top of the line FS Marriotts.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
I believe someone from Marriott has stated at one point that it was based on demand for award redemption.
Yes. Socrates (or someone similar ) has said previously that award categories are based on demand...though I wonder then, how do they assign categories to new hotels?

And as far as the Courtyard and Residence Inn in NY requiring more points than the Ko Olina, I've seen the Residence Inn in NYC have rates over $600 at certain times of the year....Ko Olina can often be had at about $350. Ko Olina used to be a Cat 6 but is now a Cat 7 as well.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 9:45 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

My guess is that both average rate and reward demand are factors in assigning the Cat.
Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are the concierge lounge hours still quite restrictive with no weekend service? Do Gold members receive access to the lounge here or only breakfast in the restaurant?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 4:06 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Platinum
I don't know about Gold receiving access - but the lounge IS closed on the weekends.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.