Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 7, 2018, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: razflyer
Post #515 is an EXTENSIVE review w/ pics. Link

Food menus: Kitchen, In-Room Dining, Fire, Fish
Prices may change (sometimes substantially) so not necessarily up to date.

Excursions and activities pricing
Print Wikipost

W Maldives [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia
Originally Posted by lotrbfme
I dont really care about points but about the experience. It would be my honeymoon. They are the same price for my travel dates
For a honeymoon, W wins hands down over the Conrad in my opinion... though I haven't been there in 4 years (which was also my honeymoon). My comments/experiences are already upthread...
Old May 6, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ps9a
Was there for 6 nights for my honeymoon in March.

Budget between $50-$100/night per person for food. Private dinners are more. (Kitchen is on the $50 end, Fish on the $100 end). Kitchen was fine, but not very fun (ate there 1 night)... best part of kitchen is they have tables where you can put your feet in the water... though it's just pool water. For some reason, everyone was doing it when we were there. The menu is eclectic... you can get pizza, steak, fish, indian, thai curry, etc.

We ate 1 night at Fish, which was very tasty, though that was a little formal and quiet for our tastes. The bar at Fish, Sip, is a lot of fun during Sunset though... great views, fun music, and the staff there were our favorites.

Fire was our favorite restaurant hands down (3 nights there)... kind of buffet style, except you get to choose your meats, noodles, veggies, sauces, etc, and they grill/stir fry them up for you. I can't remember for sure, but I think it was between $70-85/night, depending on the theme. The tables are all out on the sand, which made it a lot of fun, though you need to call early if you want one in the first few rows by the beach. It's also not open every night, and we (I believe) were in the middle of their high season, so I don't expect that to change.

We also grilled on our deck one night, and that was pretty cool... didn't think the food tasted quite as good (possibly my Maldivian grilling prowess is lacking), but it's cool to be able to make your own meal at your own leisure.

No clue... we didn't book a package deal. But they were extremely stingy with Starpoints when we went (which I thought was a little weak, given the amount of money most guests must spend)... only restaurants, minibar, and hotel room were eligible... no points for Spa/Excursions/Diving/Seaplane.

No love for us there. We booked an Ocean Oasis with an Ocean view... got an Ocean Oasis with an Ocean view. Was hoping for a Lagoon view upgrade. Quickly denied at check-in. Lagoon view turns out to be a lot less private, as you're on the lagoon with snorkelers, windsurfers, kayakers, etc... but it's significantly less windy that the ones that face away from the island.

The nightclub is very quiet, but there were live DJ's each night... we went a couple of nights... the first night, a loud group of Russians (there were a lot there during our trip) was ordering bottles and dancing. The second night, it was just my wife and me. We never stayed past midnight, but I can't imagine it went off later. Definitely nobody from other islands. It's not open every night, but they had events on the Fire beach each night that it was closed, including a progressive shot night once, which was pretty amusing. One of the cool things about the resort is that if you open and don't finish a bottle of wine anywhere in the resort, they'll re-cork and re-cellar it for you until you call upon it later... so if you drink half a bottle (or a bottle and a half) with dinner, you can send the balance to 15 Below, the beach, your room, or dinner the next night. Makes ordering glasses a pretty boring and sub-optimal choice.

Holiday Inn is probably the nicest in Male... we never stayed there, but visited their roofdeck 2 years ago, and it was fine. I'm not a huge fan of Male at all, and have stayed at both the Hulhule and the Sheraton for a night each... between the 2, the Sheraton wins... no contest.

You won't get a lot of recognition, so I'd say that if your package is a great deal (no idea what kind of rate you have), relative to what you can get on SPG.com, go for it.
ps9a thank you for your excellent review! I am leaning towards W retreat...

I have a couple of questions:

How was the weather in March? I am also going in March

How far is it from the Conrad? Is it worth it to go to the underwater restaurant in the Conrad? (my future wife will love it)
Old May 6, 2015, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTP, HH Dia

How far is it from the Conrad? Is it worth it to go to the underwater restaurant in the Conrad? (my future wife will love it)
Weather in March is fantastic... I've been to the Maldives 4x now, always between Dec and Mar, which I believe is generally considered to be the best time for weather-- we're headed to Reethi Rah for the first time this Dec. The way the Maldives are laid out, you can't really go from the W to any other resort for dinner... only way to go would be to hire a private boat (which I think would be extremely expensive). Underwater restaurant isn't worth it IMO.

We've stayed at the Conrad 3x... really enjoy it there-- it's a lot larger, and caters to both couples and families. The W caters to couples-- IIRC, kids aren't allowed. If I were going back with only my wife (we have a newborn now), AND the room cost were the same (we used points at the Conrad each time vs paid rate at the W), I would stay at the W in a heartbeat-- better vibe, and the fact that there aren't many people redeeming points there means that they don't try to nickel and dime you while there.
Old May 6, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold

I concur with the weather in March. I actually went to the W in late March in 2009 and the weather was fantastic. However, the hotel was not when compared to other top class hotels in the country.
Old May 7, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: A few
If you don't care about the cost in points then the W I would say is the more exclusive option (if you think 1 SPG point is equal in value to 1 Hilton point, well boy have I got a lot of Hilton points to swap with you )

March is peak season... as noted above the peak weather is January - March where you can expect calm waters and lots of sunshine. Of course individual experiences may vary (We had 10 days of glorious basking sunshine in the middle of June)

It is not really possible to just "pop over" to the Conrad for dinner from the W or any other resort for that matter. They are quite far apart and the only way to transfer would be by boat. I mean if money really is no object you might be able to charter a private speedboat transfer there and back.

Maybe do a few nights at both?
Old May 7, 2015, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thank you all so much for your help! So far I have booked: 6 nights at park hyatt on points, 4 nights at W paid with money, 3 nights at the conrad on points.

Oh boy the W on water is really expensive... thank God for the citi prestige 4th night free...
Old May 8, 2015, 5:38 pm

that sounds horrible - two whole days and $2000+ wasted for two traveling between resorts which provide essentially the same experience
Old May 8, 2015, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Thank you all so much for your help! So far I have booked: 6 nights at park hyatt on points, 4 nights at W paid with money, 3 nights at the conrad on points.

Oh boy the W on water is really expensive... thank God for the citi prestige 4th night free...
Don't waste your time with the Conrad--particularly for 3 days. They treat redemption guests as decidedly second/third class while waiting hand and foot on the other guests... at least that was our experience.

Originally Posted by Colin
that sounds horrible - two whole days and $2000+ wasted for two traveling between resorts which provide essentially the same experience
Yeah... between the seaplane costs, and what you'll spend at the PH and Conrad in nickel and dime upcharges and ridiculously overpriced food you could probably:
-Do 4 nights at the Park Hyatt in AUH/DXB on your Hyatt points (PH AUH is a very nice property... can't speak to DXB)
-Do 6 nights at W MLE on cash
Old May 8, 2015, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
Don't waste your time with the Conrad--particularly for 3 days. They treat redemption guests as decidedly second/third class while waiting hand and foot on the other guests... at least that was our experience.

Yeah... between the seaplane costs, and what you'll spend at the PH and Conrad in nickel and dime upcharges and ridiculously overpriced food you could probably:
-Do 4 nights at the Park Hyatt in AUH/DXB on your Hyatt points (PH AUH is a very nice property... can't speak to DXB)
-Do 6 nights at W MLE on cash
I am doing 6 nights at PH maldives on points and 4 nights on cash at W (the 4th night free with prestige) I was thinking about adding conrad to use 2 weekend night certificates and 100k points I have with hilton. But at the end I will be paying most likely $800 just to transfer to there..
Old May 9, 2015, 7:15 am

Does anyone have a direct email for the W - Im planning a two location trip (W & Conrad) and want to arrange a speed boat transfer
Old Jul 26, 2015, 6:56 pm

Anyone headed to W in Jan?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 10:27 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Heading to the W in two weeks. Arriving from Singapore very late so we will overnight at the Sheraton. A few questions which I haven't seen answered:

Considering the half-board option for around $140. Being a PLT I have the option to use the amenity for breakfast and considering doing the BBQ in the room one evening. Anyone know if the BBQ is included in the half-board? If not, how much is the BBQ?

Currently booked into the Wonderful Beach Oasis for 3 nights. The room looks pretty cool with the upper deck. It also looks pretty private which is nice. But being in the Maldives we should spend some time over the water I guess. Is there any privacy in the OTW rooms?

Lastly, our flight out of MLE is at 11:30PM. What is the latest the seaplane will transfer us to MLE? How are they at honoring late check-out? What would we do for all these hours between arriving back at MLE with the seaplane and the late flight out?
Old Oct 26, 2015, 10:09 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I can't speak for the hotel transfer details, but I can comment on Male.

If you happen to have a few hours on Male, you can opt for the Trader's Bar at the Hululue Hotel - a favourite of the air crew stay overs and everybody else looking for an alcoholic drink in Male. It's the only place to my knowledge that is actually licenced to serve alcohol in the capital area. It's a 5-7 minute walk or take the free shuttle. The bell staff were a bit stuffy when we arrived with bags solely looking for a drink at the bar (check your bags at the airport if you can).

If you're feeling adventurous, you can take the ferry over to Male city. i personally find this a most fascinating place. It's probably the only place in the Maldives where you can actually visit and be on the same level as Maldivians. My last visit was during the daytime, so I can't say how busy it would be at night if you were to arrive at 7 PM. It was very safe and interesting to visit.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:35 am

Has anyone recently redeemed for a bungalow here? Wondering the points per night.

Thanks
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:52 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott LT Ti, Hertz 5*, Avis PC
We have not lately, but just seeing the email in my inbox makes me long to go back. Loved the W Retreat so much

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.