FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Munich, Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/840529-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-munich-germany.html)

photojojo Mar 14, 2022 11:41 am

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior (Post 34068538)
I had a great stay at the Aloft, then another, and I've a third booked. The only other Marriott property I've tried is the Le Meridien, across the street. I strongly favor the Aloft because everything is open there. Breakfast, gym, business center. The people are great, and the location can't be beat.

I absolutely love the Aloft and I never thought I was say that since I normally stay at JWs/Renaissances. Back in late 2019 I gave this property a chance because it was right across the street from Hbf as well as Meridian, but it was 1/3 the cost per night. So I thought "what the heck, I've never heard of them before, let's give it a shot" - and now I love it for my solo trips to Munich.

Like I said it's directly across from Hbf which has late night bodegas right inside the main entrance and grocery stores on the lower level. I stock up on groceries and beer and I'm set. It's maybe a 10 minute walk to Marienplatz but if you use the MVG app you could properly time the Ubahn for faster commutes. I've stayed in several parts of the hotel and everything on the back (south) or courtyard is super quiet, but I personally prefer the corner rooms that end in 01 because I need the sounds of the city to help me sleep.

I'm heading to Oktoberfest this year and unfortunately the rates are through the roof but Meridian has some reward availability so based on others' recommendations I try that one.

Junior Varsity Jun 24, 2022 10:35 am

I'm traveling with my wife and 3 kids (13/11/5) to Munich in August for vacation. We're trying to decide on a hotel and are torn between the following: Le Meridien, Munich Marriott, and the Westin Grand. We will of course get 2 rooms, but are open to suggestions and pros / cons. The one negative my wife has read is that the LM is not in the best area. Our preference is not to rent a car, but we will be doing the normal tourist things. From what I've read, our status should allow for breakfast at all locations. I'm Plat Elite and my wife is Titanium if that makes a difference.

applesauce Jun 24, 2022 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Junior Varsity (Post 34365595)
I'm traveling with my wife and 3 kids (13/11/5) to Munich in August for vacation. We're trying to decide on a hotel and are torn between the following: Le Meridien, Munich Marriott, and the Westin Grand. We will of course get 2 rooms, but are open to suggestions and pros / cons. The one negative my wife has read is that the LM is not in the best area. Our preference is not to rent a car, but we will be doing the normal tourist things. From what I've read, our status should allow for breakfast at all locations. I'm Plat Elite and my wife is Titanium if that makes a difference.

We just stayed at the LM. SNAs into a corner suite. It was a very nice room. Only issue is the sliding window was bowed which meant we had lot of noise. A little pressure and it was completely quiet.

We loved the location, as it's right at the hauptbahnhof, making it very easy to get everywhere. Breakfast was a decent spread. Location was fine for walking. Not exactly *in* a nice neighborhood, but 10 minutes walk to nice areas and <10 minutes on any S or U.

dcmike Jun 26, 2022 4:01 am

Just stayed at the Le Meridian and, while the neighborhood is a bit like any neighborhood in a major European town near the main train station, I never felt in danger there. And, like applesauce said, it is very easy to get around the city from the LM. Staff were great, this was already my second stay there and would stay again.

Junior Varsity Jun 29, 2022 11:07 am

Thanks everyone!

yuel Oct 10, 2022 12:02 pm

So I will being traveling with 6 adults and 4 kids all under 7, is it best to get hotel near downtown, CY or FS Marriot further away? faster to walk to the CY or train to FS Marriiot?

goodeats21 Oct 10, 2022 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by yuel (Post 34669851)
So I will being traveling with 6 adults and 4 kids all under 7, is it best to get hotel near downtown, CY or FS Marriot further away? faster to walk to the CY or train to FS Marriiot?

Not quite sure I understand...faster to walk where from the hotels? What are your plans / where do you want to visit during your trip?

Numerous hotels (Including Courtyard City Center) around the main train station. They will all be very convenient to access trains/trams anywhere you want to go, but the immediate area around these hotels can be a tad sketchy (though not really dangerous).
Walk about 10 minutes to get to city center area, 15 minute walk to Marienplatz, etc.

The full service Marriott is in a neighborhood type area. 5 minute walk to Nordfriedhof underground station, for a 10 minute train ride to the main station. It is also pretty close to Englischer Garden, which could be a nice visit for family, depending on what time of year.
Not quite as " in the middle of things" as other options, but sedate neighborhood vibe may be a good trade off for a 10 minute train ride to get into the "city".
If you are arriving via MUC airport, the LH bus stops very close to FS Marriott. It is a better option then train, if you aren't arriving during a rush hour.

yuel Oct 11, 2022 7:51 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21 (Post 34670094)
Not quite sure I understand...faster to walk where from the hotels? What are your plans / where do you want to visit during your trip?

Numerous hotels (Including Courtyard City Center) around the main train station. They will all be very convenient to access trains/trams anywhere you want to go, but the immediate area around these hotels can be a tad sketchy (though not really dangerous).
Walk about 10 minutes to get to city center area, 15 minute walk to Marienplatz, etc.

The full service Marriott is in a neighborhood type area. 5 minute walk to Nordfriedhof underground station, for a 10 minute train ride to the main station. It is also pretty close to Englischer Garden, which could be a nice visit for family, depending on what time of year.
Not quite as " in the middle of things" as other options, but sedate neighborhood vibe may be a good trade off for a 10 minute train ride to get into the "city".
If you are arriving via MUC airport, the LH bus stops very close to FS Marriott. It is a better option then train, if you aren't arriving during a rush hour.

thanks I appreciate your response, I was considering courtyard city center or the FS Marriott, both approximately same price, but Marriott as free breakfast buffett, help full for our kids, I was considering being around the city square for 2 days, and seeing if the walk from courtyard city center is better or faster than the train from the marriott for the connivance having young kids.

TravisMT81 Oct 11, 2022 1:07 pm

New Marriott on the Westend

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...205ac8ed5.jpeg

https://news.marriott.com/news/2022/...otel-city-west

DLGrkItalNY Feb 10, 2023 11:09 am

Munich Hotel Guidance/Help!

Hi All - tried searching but couldn't find anything recent (pls share link if I missed) but wanted to see if any suggestions on Bonvoy in Munich Germany. Heading for a long weekend (not during Octoberfest or anything special) in late March.

Thanks so much in advance for the time/help.

JCT001 Feb 10, 2023 11:42 am

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...ermany-14.html

goodeats21 Feb 12, 2023 10:42 am

Originally Posted by DLGrkItalNY (Post 35001455)
Hi All - tried searching but couldn't find anything recent (pls share link if I missed) but wanted to see if any suggestions on Bonvoy in Munich Germany. Heading for a long weekend (not during Octoberfest or anything special) in late March.

Thanks so much in advance for the time/help.

Looks like maybe your post got moved to the main Munich Bonvoy thread. Let us know if you have any specific questions after looking through some recent posts.
Anything specific you want to be close to, etc?

jah718 Jun 5, 2023 3:45 am

Anyone have any recent experiences of either the Westin Grand or Munich Marriott?

Travelling there soon, 2 adults and one baby (4 months). Will be driving so locations of either are fine. I am titanium, so upgrade chances and lounges are important, also have SNAs to use. Westin looks a bit tired. If anyone has any recent thoughts on either, it would be much appreciated.

Majikow Jun 13, 2023 10:57 pm

Has anyone stayed at the Residence Inn Munich City East recently? I stayed there almost 10 years ago and remember it being a decent location with access to the train station and what not, but this time I'm returning and I've got two kids (6 yo and a 7 month old). I'm not sure they'll let us all stay in the same room (normally my wife and i would sleep in the bed with the 6 yo and the baby in a crib so don't really need 2 beds). Was trying to decide between the two Courtyards and the Residence Inn (assuming they'd let us book one room, not really looking to get two separate rooms, in which case I'll stay at the Novotel). Looking to stay 4 nights, hoping to hit the main sites around Munich and potentially renting a car on our last day to drive to Neuschwanstein.

yyccdg Jun 19, 2023 5:46 pm

We stayed at the RI last year for 4 days for Oktoberfest and then a week for Christmas markets. We enjoyed staying there. The breakfast was more than filling. The rooms felt clean and are a good size. We did find the rooms warm both times but we suspect the hotel was limiting the AC due to power conservation. We opened the windows to get some air in. A courtyard view is better if you plan to open the window as it is quieter. We used the laundry facilities which were appreciated. The RI entrance has been closed and you go in and out through the Courtyard next door. The front desk is usually slow and generally won’t answer the phone if you call down. We have reservations here again for Oktoberfest this year.