Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Munich, Germany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2001, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta, AA

Will be in Munich next week---any recommendations regarding the Marriott vs. Renaissance? Quality of hotel, rooms, dining, approx. to city. etc. Any advice much appreciated!
Old Feb 4, 2001, 9:39 pm
DOC 2 BE

Snacky --

stayed only at Marriott, Rennaissance wasn't in the fold back then. They are literally 1 block from 1 another. IF you have a car, you can park on the residential streets. They are right near a U-Bahn stop. About 15-20 mins into the city center. Alltogether, the hotel is fine, and it has a great buffet breakfast, as do all the German Mariotts.

I would go with price as the main factor, if no one has any comments otherwise.

Old Feb 5, 2001, 10:46 am

Programs: Northwest-millionair; Marriott, lifetime gold
Yes, both are essentially the same. They are a short walk from the Nord Friedhof Ubahn, where you can take the U6 to Marienplatz, Odeonplatz, etc. Between the two is a very nice little bakery where you can get good coffee and fresh baked goods in the morning if you are not up for the big buffet.
Old Feb 6, 2001, 12:35 pm

As a platinum it kills me to say this, but I wouldn't stay at either! As previously mentioned - they are both close to one another and away from the downtown area. There are other hotels in town with better locations (near Marienplatz, etc)... Can't remember which ones - but Hilton (gag) comes to mind.
Old Feb 9, 2001, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
One factor in favor of a non-center-city hotel is that not all the "action" is downtown - to list just one example, the restaurants, clubs and and shops of the Schwabing area. The U-and-S-Bahns are very handy to explore the different neighborhoods.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2001, 4:54 pm
DOC 2 BE

That is correct. I forgot all about that fact, that the Scwabbing neighborhood is within a brisk walk of the hotel.

Old Feb 9, 2001, 8:22 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I too have stayed at the Marriott in Schwabing but not the REN. Nothing special, and I agree that breakfast (also free as an Elite [then Black/now Gold] was the highlight! No Lounge, decent pool and a juccuzzi that was somewhat unique and not real hot! Set your sights reasonably however, and you'll be fine!

See also:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum63/HTML/000447.html

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 02-09-2001).]
Old Jun 24, 2008, 11:51 am
Suspended

Munich

Do we still have the same situation in Munich:

Neither Marriott nor Renaissance have a lounge?
What would then be the gold benefits besides room upgrade? Brekfast would already be included in my room rate.
Old Jun 24, 2008, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR Ambassador, HH Gold
I don't know, but I've decided to stay at the courtyard as it looks to be a bit of a step up, includes breakfast, lan and is closer to where I need to be. It should be noted that I believe the Munich Marriott currently is under a promo (along with some other marriotts in europe) where you get a bonus 1k points for a stay.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Didi
Do we still have the same situation in Munich:

Neither Marriott nor Renaissance have a lounge?
That was the situation when I was there last, earlier this year.

Old Jun 28, 2008, 12:52 pm
Community Director Emerita

Counsellor, is the Ren still routinely upgrade golds and plats to suites?
Old Jun 29, 2008, 5:45 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott: Titanium
I stayed at the Renaissance last year.

As Platinum, they upgraded me to a huge suite, I had free breakfast, and free Internet. The service was exceptional. The only down side is there was no AC and I had a bunch of fans in the room.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 1:56 am

Programs: UA1K;AAEXP;BAG
Still no lounge in Munich.

I am a regular at the Munich Marriott and would always prefer to stay there instead of at the Ren. Main reason for that is that the Ren is starting to show age and that the management did not do any refurbishments recently. Marriott next door did refurbish the bath rooms and built a state-of-the-art spa area. Also the general ambience of the Marriott outclasses the Ren imho.

As far as elite upgrades go: Did not receive any decent upgrade at the Munich Marriott yet. However i usually get a room assigned which is not facing the traffic on "Mittlerer Ring" and which is near to the spa elevator.

Last edited by Starbucks; Jun 30, 2008 at 2:25 am
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:21 am

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Stayed 3 times at the REN - always got a suite upgrade. Got a regular room at the Marriott. However I cannot confirm free WiFi for Plats at either property for me. REN is closer to subway. Both Hotels are really nothing fancy, but ok.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:26 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the Marriott in December. I think it is perhaps the worst Marriott property in all of Europe. I wouldn't stay there again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.