FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Munich, Germany (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/840529-marriott-bonvoy-hotels-munich-germany.html)

eeebee Nov 18, 2019 1:16 pm

I'd recommend the Le Meridien (it's not a Westin) on Bayernstrasse as well. Really enjoyed our stay there. Nice hotel with a nice breakfast buffet, and it's a great location.

manku Nov 24, 2019 4:10 pm

Courtyard MUC East or Westin Grand Munich?

Am currently in Germany, and am driving to Munich this weekend. Not a great City for points rewards. However a 105K redemption for three nights at Westin just opened up. I also have 52.5K redemption at Courtyard Munich City East.

Both are not close to center (are any???), Going to be doing touristy stuff including BM game Saturday night.

Am a Platinum Elite via Amex cc.

I guess main questions is it it worth spending 50k for Westin, especially since we have a 7 am flight Sunday back to USA. And are there any other decent options?
Thanks in advance.

manku Dec 3, 2019 5:05 pm

Ended up at Courtyard East...easy parking, easy car rental return. Room overlooked a residential courtyard...very pleasant and quiet, if dull. Windows opened all the way which was nice. Staff very friendly and eager to please, rooms were fine if a bit dated and drab. Breakfast was crowded but manageable...food was solid...certainly much better than Courtyards in the USA

Location seems awful at first glance...basically the front of the hotel overlooks a railroad yard. However, once you turn the corner, it's a very nice residential neighborhood (with a terrific inexpensive pizzeria steps away, L'Angelo della Pizza). We walked into town, and found many interesting restaurants along the way...a few minutes to streetcar as well, which is fun for Americans.

Not sure why the Residence Inn is more...it shares the same building and breakfast area....are the rooms bigger?

It's not the Bayerischer Hof...wish there were point hotels with better locations in Munich (Germany isn't great, fwiw)...but for 52.5K points for three nights worked out great.

jak456 Dec 4, 2019 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Cathay Dragon 666 (Post 31750023)
Will it be too noisy at night with the trains running?

in the LM I suggest you book a courtyard facing room (rather than street facing). Look at the room description, the site states the location (courtyard or street) of the room. The problem is not really the noise of the trains but the other traffic (cars).

parklife Dec 10, 2019 4:09 am

Just back from a 3 night stay at Le Meridien. Easy to get to from the airport on the S Bahn and a short walk through the station and across the road to the hotel. Booked a Junior Suite in my name and Superior Guest in my wife's name for a friend. No upgrade on the suite, but my wife got an upgrade on hers to a Deluxe Chic.

I got a bottle of Prosecco, small box of chocolates and chocolates on pillows on every turndown in the suite. In the other room there was nothing - we are both gold members.

Both rooms were nice and modern, didn't notice any noise from the renovations. The suite overlooked the courtyard and was quiet.

Breakfast was very good. Nice selection and freshly cooked eggs to order.

Good location, close to the Central station and a walking distance to the old town. Would definitely stay here again.

EWC-JMU Feb 28, 2020 7:23 am

Any recent experiences at Bonvoy properties with lounges?

Trying to choose between Bonvoy properties with lounges in Munich proper (i.e., not the airport) for a stay in early April. The Sheraton Westpark definitely works best for me from a location and price standpoint, but I've read mixed things about the state of its lounge these days. Any recent experiences there or at the other MUC properties with lounges (which I understand to be the Sheraton Arabellapark and Westin Grand)? This would be for a paid stay in a club room - my status is not such where I'd have any reasonable hope of an upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

Exdon Feb 29, 2020 1:05 am

Originally Posted by EWC-JMU (Post 32122450)
The Sheraton Westpark definitely works best for me from a location and price standpoint, but I've read mixed things about the state of its lounge these days. Any recent experiences there or at the other MUC properties with lounges (which I understand to be the Sheraton Arabellapark and Westin Grand)?

No complaints here regarding the lounge at Sheraton Westpark. Stay was in early February. Drinkable wine, different vegetables not overcooked, ok chicken. I would not choose an alternative hotel hoping for better lounge offerings in Munich.

EWC-JMU Feb 29, 2020 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Exdon (Post 32125296)
No complaints here regarding the lounge at Sheraton Westpark. Stay was in early February. Drinkable wine, different vegetables not overcooked, ok chicken. I would not choose an alternative hotel hoping for better lounge offerings in Munich.

Great, thank you. Most helpful. I'm glad you confirmed that the Westpark at least has some decent evening F&B offerings in the lounge. Again, I was finding conflicting information on whether there were any at all.

gcashin Mar 11, 2022 1:36 pm

Looking for a recommendation for a Bonvoy hotel for a 2 night stay in Munich on a weekend in April. We aren't planning to rent a car, so ideally something with decent transit options nearby, and a club lounge would be preferred. It looks like the Sheraton Arabellapark and the Westin Grand have lounges? Any info on if the lounges have reopened? Looks like the location is a bit outside Central Munich, so are there decent transit links nearby? Looks like there's a Le Meridien, Aloft, and Courtyard near the central train station, but seems like no lounges are reviews seem to be mixed. There's also a "Roomers" Autograph Collection property that seems not too far from the central train station, a Marriott that seems to be a bit further out, and a couple options near the East train station (Residence Inn and Moxy). Any recommendations?

365RoadWarrior Mar 11, 2022 9:15 pm

I had a great stay at the Aloft, then another, and I've a third booked. The only other Marriott property I've tried is the Le Meridien, across the street. I strongly favor the Aloft because everything is open there. Breakfast, gym, business center. The people are great, and the location can't be beat.

Established1985 Mar 12, 2022 3:03 am

Originally Posted by EWC-JMU (Post 32126792)
Great, thank you. Most helpful. I'm glad you confirmed that the Westpark at least has some decent evening F&B offerings in the lounge. Again, I was finding conflicting information on whether there were any at all.

It’s closed since December 31st

ExArkie Mar 13, 2022 8:52 am

Originally Posted by gcashin (Post 34067615)
Looking for a recommendation for a Bonvoy hotel for a 2 night stay in Munich on a weekend in April. We aren't planning to rent a car, so ideally something with decent transit options nearby, and a club lounge would be preferred. It looks like the Sheraton Arabellapark and the Westin Grand have lounges? Any info on if the lounges have reopened? Looks like the location is a bit outside Central Munich, so are there decent transit links nearby? Looks like there's a Le Meridien, Aloft, and Courtyard near the central train station, but seems like no lounges are reviews seem to be mixed. There's also a "Roomers" Autograph Collection property that seems not too far from the central train station, a Marriott that seems to be a bit further out, and a couple options near the East train station (Residence Inn and Moxy). Any recommendations?

We stayed at the Westin Grand for five (maybe six?) nights in August 2019. The lounge, which the hotel Web site says is now open...not that I trust hotel Web sites..., was quite nice. We ended up having a decent dinner from the lounge offerings two nights, simply for easy access after having been wandering about the city all day and not wanting to go find a restaurant. If you want some place with a plethora of restaurants in walking distance, this is not the location.

However, your question was on transit options, which are very good at this location. There are tram stops about a block from the hotel in two directions (same line at each). There is also a U-Bahn (subway) stop about another block further along on the Arabella side. Either will take you into the vicinity of the Hauptbahnhof - I think the U-Bahn stop is not exactly at the station, but is within a few hundred meters. We made extensive use of the tram and subway network and rather enjoyed being out of the city center, aside from having to decide on dinner locations before returning to the hotel.

The Sheraton Arabella is right across the street from the Westin Grand, so no difference in transit options.

Duck1981 Mar 13, 2022 10:04 am

Originally Posted by gcashin (Post 34067615)

Being originally from Munich I would choose any of the Courtyards over the Westin/ Sheraton.

Stayed with my wife last November in the Sheraton and found it very dated. If you arrive at the airport there's practically no alternative to a very pricey taxi ride to go to the hotel. (70EUR approx). Additionally, in the whole area, there is nothing to do - it's purely a settled residential area so you always need the U-Bahn towards the city (which only runs every 10min outside peak). Breakfast was - ok. Did not try the lounge.

I would suggest the Courtyard East - modern and a 5min walk from Munich East station (where you directly arrive with the S-Bahn - line S8 - from the airport). In the evenings you are very well connected as the East Station is located on the main S-Bahn line ('Stammstrecke') so you have a train to the center (Marienplatz) every 2-5min until 1am. Rooms are good CY standard.

The CY City Center is even closer to all attractions, but is technically in the red-light district which is not for everyone. It is a very settled red light district compared to other cities though, and still save.

Re/ the Roomers - that's something falling in the category 'seen and to be seen' and a bit dark inside, so depends if you like this. The breakfast selection is legendary though. It is 2 S-Bahn stations out, or requires an approx 10-15min Tram ride. Supposed to have a good restaurant and evening bar. The location itself is ok, you can walk towards Schwanthalerhoehe (an upcoming district of the city with some nice coffee bar, bavarian wirtshauses). As a tourist not your to go location though.

Alternatively, the Le Meridien is directly next to the Main station if it needs to be a better category/ lounge. Haven't stayed there since my German consulting days in 2011, but was a very good hotel then.

And by the way - best Bavarian food in a very central location (next to the Cathedral) is the 'Augustiner Klosterwirt' - and very well priced. That's were people from Munich go (still have English menus though and everyone speaks English there) - the other restaurants around the Cathedral are Tourist traps! And of course you need to visit the Airbrau beergarten between Munich Airports Terminals 1 and 2 - they brew their own beer there for 2,70 EUR for a half liter and the food is very good! (=best airport bar worldwide IMHO).

gcashin Mar 13, 2022 6:32 pm

Very helpful info - thanks for all the insights on locations/transit, etc.

Duck1981 Mar 14, 2022 5:26 am

Originally Posted by gcashin (Post 34072855)
Very helpful info - thanks for all the insights on locations/transit, etc.

Let me know/ reply to my post if you need further details re/ transportation/ locations etc.