Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I'd take the Westin Mag Mile 10 times out of 10 over the Marriott. Westin has been renovated in the last few years and added a club lounge. High quality. Nice rooms. Doesn't feel like a Marriott factory (when I was there last, admittedly 3-4 years ago, had an incredibly old dated room).

Both locations good, though the Marriott a bit closer to the Loop and everything down by the Park. Westin closer to the beach.
This.

hands down, Westin Michigan Ave. the Marriott is the cookie cutter, big convention hotel. Its fine, you know what you are going to get. Lounge tends to be a circus for brekkie. Westin, small, quiet, lounge is really nice, much more intimate. Also love location of the Westin.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Chicago Properties with Separate Living Areas on SNA's?

Will be visiting Chicago and looking to book a 2 night stay. I would appreciate any advice from those familiar with Chicago properties. We def need ones that will offer the complimentary breakfast for plat/titanium elites. Have been digging through reviews on TA and am a little overwhelmed as there are many options. I know the SNA are a crap-shoot, but I need to start using them so I would def be trying to redeem them for this stay. Any advice on which properties have separate living rooms (to give a friend private space from me and the SO) if the SNA cleared would be appreciated. So far the best option I see is the JW.

Last edited by xkr0p; May 27, 2019 at 6:46 pm
Old May 27, 2019, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by xkr0p
Will be visiting Chicago and looking to book a 2 night stay. I would appreciate any advice from those familiar with Chicago properties. We def need ones that will offer the complimentary breakfast for plat/titanium elites. Have been digging through reviews on TA and am a little overwhelmed as there are many options. I know the SNA are a crap-shoot, but I need to start using them so I would def be trying to redeem them for this stay. Any advice on which properties have separate living rooms (to give a friend private space from me and the SO) if the SNA cleared would be appreciated. So far the best option I see is the JW.
In my two stays at The Gwen I was upgraded to a room with 1.5 baths and a pullout couch in a separate room. I think they gave like a $15 credit per person for breakfast. Similar suite at the Westin River North and they have a lounge for breakfast.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:11 pm

Thank you will look into both of these!
Old May 27, 2019, 7:27 pm

To set expectations, breakfast is for member plus 1. If you get it for any additional occupants, that will be property specific.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
To set expectations, breakfast is for member plus 1. If you get it for any additional occupants, that will be property specific.
Yes I am aware. I know sometimesin the properties that have a lounge for breakfast, they don't really enforce this. Not saying it's ethical, but honestly I really can care less any more with Marriott, considering everything they have done recently is unethical to its customers lol. I guess I will try for the JW & Westin due to this. I've had the check in agents give the third guest free breakfast with the voucher type properties before as a courtesy, but thats obviously not the norm.
Old May 27, 2019, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter

In my two stays at The Gwen I was upgraded to a room with 1.5 baths and a pullout couch in a separate room. I think they gave like a $15 credit per person for breakfast. Similar suite at the Westin River North and they have a lounge for breakfast.
Just tried to use a SNA at the Westin, the and SNA options are 3 different types of 'deluxe guest rooms'. Really?? The hotel has multiple types of suites, and this is whats offered? What a joke...
Old May 27, 2019, 7:52 pm

Yes I am aware. I know sometimesin the properties that have a lounge for breakfast, they don't really enforce this. Not saying it's ethical, but honestly I really can care less any more with Marriott, considering everything they have done recently is unethical to its customers lol. I guess I will try for the JW & Westin due to this. I've had the check in agents give the third guest free breakfast with the voucher type properties before as a courtesy, but thats obviously not the norm.
In the US, the lounge sneaking should be fine
Old May 27, 2019, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

It's not fine: it's wrong, whether you're caught or not.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
And its even more wrong to do the endless shady things Marriott has done to their customers... Advertise a price then sneak in an outrageously deceptive and often hidden resort fee. Guarantee certain benefits which we spend a lot of money to achieve, only for properties to be allowed to skirt around them with Marriott doing next to nothing to enforce. Let's not act holier than thou when were dealing with a company that doesn't treat us with that same respect.
Old May 27, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
the op already said don’t really care because of Marriott’s mess...

but in reality USA lounges are normally not manned nor the attendants care.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:55 pm

actually the Westin River North checks as you walk in and will hand you a slip with a $ figure for additional guests.

I'm surprised by the SNA options at their hotel however. My suite that I believe I used a suite night award for was very nice.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I have used a SNA at the Westin RN in the past and gotten a full separate room.
Old May 28, 2019, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I used an SNA for a single night at the Gwen about a month ago for one of their larger suites and it cleared A couple of days before our stay.
Old May 28, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
And its even more wrong to do the endless shady things Marriott has done to their customers... Advertise a price then sneak in an outrageously deceptive and often hidden resort fee. Guarantee certain benefits which we spend a lot of money to achieve, only for properties to be allowed to skirt around them with Marriott doing next to nothing to enforce. Let's not act holier than thou when were dealing with a company that doesn't treat us with that same respect.
So, you are stating that because some independent owned hotels try to maximize their profit through what you are labeling outrageously deceptive behavior and by skirting benefits, that it gives you the right to steal from a potentially different independent owned hotel.

I believe that Marriott has approximately 7,000 hotels world wide. I doubt that very many hotels actually practice the behavior you call out.

I only stay in about 40 different properties per year. In my limited experience, the vast majority of hotels actually do try deliver the corporate stated benefits. I understand that people may get frustrated when they encounter a non compliant property but that still does not justify unethical guest behavior.

If you don’t like hotels with resort fees, don’t stay there. If you find certain hotels don’t provide the benefits that match your expectations, then don’t stay there. I personally detest the way that I am treated at the Sheraton Times Square so I try not to stay there. If you believe that you are spending a lot of money to achieve certain benefits and are unhappy with the way that the benefits are honored, you may want to change where you spend your money.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.