Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 12:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kikid
Thank you, MSPeconomist! Do you also have any experience with Sheraton and/or ST Regis?

Again thanks!!
I've stayed in the StR several times, in a regular room and in two types of suites. I like it, including the pool, but not the location unless it's a shopping trip.

Some of the Plat (and other) benefits seem to have been cut back: They renovated away their wine tasting room (free daily wine and cheese) and I'm not sure they still give Plats a daily happy hour appetizer and drink coupon. I've always had the comped full buffet breakfast, including hot items ordered from the menu but I suspect now they take the 500 arrival amenity points for it.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:39 pm
Used to be 'thiti'

Programs: UA-PP 1MM, Hyatt-Globalist, Bonvoy-LT Titanium, Hertz-Pres Cir
I would pick the St. Regis as well. I had stayed there for couple of months on business (including weekends).

In the morning, I took a 15-min cab ride to work as I already had breakfast as a part of platinum benefits. Their breakfast spread has a good variety and quality. After work, I usually took MRT so I could stop by for dinner somewhere before I walked back from MRT Orchard station to the hotel. I would say it was a good 8-10 minute pleasant walk. The walk got a bit more interesting as I passed the area across from the Orchard Tower with some "working women". I remember them by faces!

The hotel is a solid 5-star with excellent hardware. They have maintained everything really well. Last time I was there, they moved the wine tasting room for platinum's wine and cheese into the main restaurant. Platinum evening reception by the pool is nice, but I thought the spread was way too thin.

I switched to the Grand Hyatt a few times and found that the location is much more convenient, but in return, I did not like the craziness of the hotel entrance area - you kinda have to be there to see what I mean. Hardware can not beat the SR, but services at both places are equally excellent. Enjoy Singapore!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by Sawasdee
I would pick the St. Regis as well. I had stayed there for couple of months on business (including weekends).

In the morning, I took a 15-min cab ride to work as I already had breakfast as a part of platinum benefits. Their breakfast spread has a good variety and quality. After work, I usually took MRT so I could stop by for dinner somewhere before I walked back from MRT Orchard station to the hotel. I would say it was a good 8-10 minute pleasant walk. The walk got a bit more interesting as I passed the area across from the Orchard Tower with some "working women". I remember them by faces!

The hotel is a solid 5-star with excellent hardware. They have maintained everything really well. Last time I was there, they moved the wine tasting room for platinum's wine and cheese into the main restaurant. Platinum evening reception by the pool is nice, but I thought the spread was way too thin.

I switched to the Grand Hyatt a few times and found that the location is much more convenient, but in return, I did not like the craziness of the hotel entrance area - you kinda have to be there to see what I mean. Hardware can not beat the SR, but services at both places are equally excellent. Enjoy Singapore!
Well, the entrance of Grand Hyatt is at the walkway of a very busy Scotts Road. It's just how it is, especially hotel valet loves to park their VIP's supercars there.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There can be a long wait for taxis at the Grand Hyatt.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Thank you, MSPeconomist, Sawasdee, and LuisHK!
I will probably stay the Westin then!
In your opinion, is a SGD60 upcharge for club access worth it at the Westin?

Thanks!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 5:22 pm

Thanks!
I don't remember much about breakfast, so it must have been pretty standard.

During the day the lounge is open for things like coffee and bottled water.

Evenings had free wine (probably more choices of alcohol but I didn't notice), IIRC including something sparkling (not real champagne), a fairly wide variety of hot and cold appetizers, cheese, and a variety of desserts. For many people, this would be sufficient for dinner but OTOH Singapore has such great food that many would want to explore restaurants and hawker centers.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Personally I do not think the food is fantastic. Would recommend you to save the money and try local food at festival market (lao pa sat) - a very short walk from Westin.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 8:59 pm

Programs: SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond

Thanks!
As a Singaporean, I would recommend paying the additional $60 for club access. Purely for the happy hour alcohol. Singapore alcoholic beverages are generally pricey, and a glass of wine or bubble will easily cost $15 at a cafe or bar.

Coupled with finger food, a decent air-conditioned environment to unwind, $60 is a good deal. Even more so if you have a companion, bring the cost down to $30 pax.

On a side note, I would recommend the Westin over St Regis due to its better location. The Westin although in a central business district, which can be a ghost town on weekends, is close to the subway (MRT) which is by far the easiest way to travel. Also, a short walk brings you to the local nightlife along Boat Quay. St Regis, although technically in Orchard/Tanglin Road (shopping district), is more obscure to get to, unless you are OK with primarily Taxis as transportation.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 1:24 am

Programs: hh diamond,Qantas club life,AA EX-explat.SPG plat.
The wines are reasonable quality Australian wines-St.Hallets and Penfolds reserve.A red and white of each.
The desserts at Happy hour are really good.
Old Jan 31, 2015, 5:33 am
Suspended

Thanks for the input for Westin! Seems like the club at Westin is a good deal at an extra Sgd60
Old Jan 31, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
I'm staying Westin right now
The Lao Pa Sat night market is great, enjoyed some seafood at 1am (just 5 min walk from hotel) and was only S$65, very nice!
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:20 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LuisHK
I agree.

To be very honest I don't think Starwood's offering is very competitive to the rest of the chains.

For some reason there's no single Starwood hotel that is truly "central", where MO, Ritz, Swissotel, Marriott, Hyatt comes to mind.
I agree! There are much better options in S'pore. My main issue with the St.Regis is the underwhelming service. Most of the staff is very mediocre and their Platinum happy hour is horrible.......
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by fakeman
I'm staying Westin right now
The Lao Pa Sat night market is great, enjoyed some seafood at 1am (just 5 min walk from hotel) and was only S$65, very nice!
You realize that this is A LOT of money for a hawker market in Singapore (unless you were feeding an entire family)..............
Old Jan 31, 2015, 10:17 pm

I stayed at The Westin a couple of days ago and the hotel is top notch. The location wasn't the best but it was directly across the street from the subway which is very clean, efficient, air conditioned and cheap. I paid $2.40SD for a one way to the airport!

I stayed on the 44th floor (Club Floor) and the view was fantastic!

The lounge was top notch from service to offerings. Breakfast had a cook station for made to order eggs. During the day they had fresh fruit, beverages, nuts, and mini desserts. At night they had asian noodles, soup, various salads, smoked salmon, a hot beef and a hot chicken dish, dumplings, fresh fruit and mini desserts.
Old Feb 1, 2015, 12:44 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
You realize that this is A LOT of money for a hawker market in Singapore (unless you were feeding an entire family)..............
It is Lao Pa Sat after all. Pricing there is generally much higher than the local neighborhood locations due to location and it's a tourist attraction. The good thing is you can order all kinds of food under 1 umbrella.

The Satays are definitely worth it though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.