Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Off topic.

Singapore is the only place on earth that I skipped Starwood. (Only stayed at W Sentosa Cove once about 2 years ago.)

MO is always my pick.
I agree.

To be very honest I don't think Starwood's offering is very competitive to the rest of the chains.

For some reason there's no single Starwood hotel that is truly "central", where MO, Ritz, Swissotel, Marriott, Hyatt comes to mind.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:20 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I think all the central locations are already occupied, not much more space left?

Starwood could have taken the current Hotel Jen location right beside Somerset 313, could have put an Aloft there, though it would probably be a pricey Aloft.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Originally Posted by lcpteck
I think all the central locations are already occupied, not much more space left?

Starwood could have taken the current Hotel Jen location right beside Somerset 313, could have put an Aloft there, though it would probably be a pricey Aloft.
There're opportunities... If other chains can do it, they can do it too.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by LuisHK
There're opportunities... If other chains can do it, they can do it too.
^ If you build it they will come..
Old Jan 26, 2015, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
SIN is the only place I cheat on SPG. Fairmont upgraded me to a 2140 sq ft suite for 3 nights 2 weeks ago (on a rate of 218 SGD/night). I spent my first night in a regular room at the Westin (on pts because the revenue rate was well over 300 SGD). No comparison. It's my 4th year in a row at the Fairmont, and the staff remembers me by name and my bedding preference! They commented that I usually reserve 2 double beds but booked a king this time. Blew me away.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
The Sheraton is also about 5 mins from Newton Food Centre and a 10 min walk from Orchard Rd.

Location is great, but, I would agree that it's "dated."
It's not just dated. There are reports that rooms smell musty. For me, that's huge.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Off topic.

Singapore is the only place on earth that I skipped Starwood. (Only stayed at W Sentosa Cove once about 2 years ago.)

MO is always my pick.

I actually agree with you, if I'm not on a Platinum Challenge, probably I won't cancel my Hyatt booking (I've got Diamond trial in Hyatt at the same time as well! But 1yr Hyatt Diamond vs 2yrs SPG Plat, I've chosen SPG).
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:34 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, BW Diamond, TK Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's not just dated. There are reports that rooms smell musty. For me, that's huge.
Smell? I don't think so (now I'm in one the room already :P )
But dated, true.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:30 am

I have a review of the St. Regist in my trip report found below:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...rain-ride.html

We liked it, but found some things lacking (eg. concierge).

Make sure to eat chili crab. We missed out.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:45 pm
Suspended

Can anyone suggest if the SGD50 to get upgraded to the executive club level is of great value to you? I guess with the executive club benefits we can enjoy good food in the club? Is breakfast only provided in the club?

Many thanks!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The Westin lounge serves breakfast, nonalcoholic beverages and minor snacks all day, and then a variety of evening appetizers, desserts, and alcoholic beverages (including sparkling wine) in the early evening.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:52 am
Suspended

Thank you, MSPeconomist! Do you also have any experience with Sheraton and/or ST Regis?

Again thanks!!
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:58 am

Programs: AC-SE100K, AC-3MM, Marriott- LT Titanium, SPG RIP
I have stayed at all 3 - count me in for another vote for the Westin...

Great views of the harbour and the container port...great pool... Friendly staff
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:38 am
Suspended

Thanks Plumber!

Originally Posted by Plumber
I have stayed at all 3 - count me in for another vote for the Westin...

Great views of the harbour and the container port...great pool... Friendly staff
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.2141 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

I'd recommend the St Regis. We were there in July and the service was phenomenal and the facilities were quite nice as well (gym & pool) the breakfast was also a great buffet and made to order selection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.