Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore: which Starwood? 2008 on [Master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:11 pm

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
Lived in Singapore for 5 years and taking taxis almost daily, I maybe had one dishonest taxi driver in that time.

I now travel to Singapore about 10 times a year and sometimes play tourist to see if I get ripped off, especially from the airport. Never had a problem.
At 10pm at night the total airport-LM taxi fare is usually S$19.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:43 pm

Programs: BD / BA / AF
To follow up on ldsant's comments, if you're not desperate for the SPG points, there are many nicer hotels in Singapore. The Starwood choices are not great...
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United 1K, Starwood Platinum
Great information!. I continue to be impressed with the helpful and fast replies by other forum members.

Thanks.

KarenSuePDX
Old Nov 7, 2007, 5:42 am
Suspended

The last time a Singapore taxi driver tried to rip me off was 2 decades ago. These days they usually give me a small discount by rounding down to the nearest dollar. Its one of the very few places that I feel very comfortable taking a taxi.

As for a short stay hotel, its worth noting that the Sheraton bed is more comfortable than LeMeridien.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 6:17 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Thinking about a C and P stay for 1 night the beginning of April. I have been to the Sheraton Towers but not the St. Regis. I think I will give it a go since it is only 30 bucks and 800 points more.

Anyone disagree?
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:04 am

Programs: SPG Gold, SQ Blue, OZ Diamond, JAVA and occasionally C
Location wise it's better and the rooms are definitely better. The Sheraton Towers' rooms are really old.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In addition to the airside airport transit hotels, there's a new hotel right at the airport (but not physically within the terminal building). I think it's a Crown Plaza. You could stay here and use the metro system from the airport to downtown the next day. The other "airport" hotels are relatively far from the airport in rather bad locations and generally not of high quality.

There's a door-to-door shuttle service to downtown hotels that seems to run all night at half hour intervals. It's very cheap (I don't remember, but my guess is $5) and there should be no traffic at this hour. If you arrive at Terminal 1 (NW/DL is scheduled to get in at 12:30 or 12:50 depending on the season), the ticket desk is to the left just beyond baggage claim and customs.

None of the SGP properties are on the end of Singapore closest to the airport, although traffic jams are generally not much of a problem in Singapore. The closest would be the ones near Fashion Walk (RC and several others), Raffles City (Fairmont--formerly known as Raffles the Plaza--and Stamford???), Raffles, Fullerton, and I think the Mandarin(???) by the theater along the water.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Stop-over during the honeymoon

I'll be in Bali for my honeymoon and will have a four-night stop in Singapore before heading home.

I'm looking for a decent price, good plat recognition (I will hit plat by then *hopefully*), upgrades, pool, central location.

Advice...?
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
St. Regis

Originally Posted by ariyo15
I'll be in Bali for my honeymoon and will have a four-night stop in Singapore before heading home.

I'm looking for a decent price, good plat recognition (I will hit plat by then *hopefully*), upgrades, pool, central location.

Advice...?
My choice would be the St. Regis. I had a great stay there in November. Great Platinum recognition.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald

Advice...?
DO NOT stay at the Sheraton Towers.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 12:34 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Plat; no plans for chasing any more airline status.
Originally Posted by atakam
DO NOT stay at the Sheraton Towers.
WHy do you say that?!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: LH Sen, PPS, FB Platinum, Enrich Silver, SPG Plat
WHy do you say that?!
Spend a night there and the answer is obvious.
S
Old Jan 27, 2011, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by DFW-SEN
Spend a night there and the answer is obvious.
S
Despite your "pithy" response, the answer to the question is NOT obvious. There are many different opinions of this hotel. There are plenty of folks who detest it and there are many who find it to meet their needs in SIN perfectly.

As one of those in the latter category, I find the pool cabana rooms quite agreeable, the lounge very good, and the cost (most of the time) to be fair - given its location and amenities.

To presume otherwise is not in the spirit of providing the best possible rounded information to fellow FTers. YMMV.

Dave
Old Jan 27, 2011, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, LATAM Comodoro, SPG PLT, WOH Globalist, *G, OW Emerald
WHy do you say that?!
I am right now at the property for a 2 night stay. After a long time staying at Hyatts I decided to see if they improved.

Check-in: we had 3 rooms on different confirmation #s, I am plat, a company fellow is gold and the 3rd is nothing.

I was told, we can't upgrade you (I wasn't expecting less), BUT we arranged a regular high floor poolview room (16th floor) specially for you. I didn't buy it but was tired so I grabbed the key..."and you can have breakfast in either the lounge or lobby". I thought, it was because they didn't upgrade me. Nice treat!

After the other guys checked in, surprise the gold got the same type 16th high floor poolview room (was my neighbour) and the no status guy got a higher floor room (19th floor) also poolview.

So the room was not really a special arrangement, just lip service.

The room, as expected, a moldy tired one. Before go to bed I tried to connect to the wifi service. Surprise, there was no signal for the Docomo wifi spot. Called guest service, the guy came with his emergency kit, said it was the modem, so he needs to reset it or change it. Shouldn't they make sure everything is working before it brakes down?

Next morning we met (all 3) for breakfast at the lobby. I wanted to sign for my fellows breakfast (which was supposedly not included), but then I noticed that they also got free breakfast. So again, it was not a special arrangement because they couldn't upgrade me.

Just got back from dinner, and tried to turn on the lights. But they don't work, just the entrance light. Called guest service, they send an "engineer" to fix it. Took 10min and finally lights working.

Additional info:
- The TV sucks: is like the 70s show
- The shower curtain is stained and molded in the bottom. Generates a moldy smell after a couple of minutes running.
- The gym has only 3 running mills..very tough to get one in the morning.

I could continue listing issues, but if you still believe is a good property, try it. I am on a SGD 350/night, which I think is not worth a penny.

Maybe I am not being objective, because I spend the last 3 months in Hyatts which treated me as an elite and gave me much more than the benefits listed in the guide. On the other hand my experiences with SPG properties is that they try to find the way not to give you what you are supposed to get.

Last edited by atakam; Jan 27, 2011 at 12:01 pm
Old Jan 27, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
No doubt, St regis is a top choice and treats plats like kings. Avoid the Sheraton, a pure mass market hotel !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.