Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Disney Orlando Dophin or Swan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Disney Orlando Dophin or Swan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2004, 6:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, DL Silver, Hyatt Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
The Dolphin is much larger than the Swan. The two are connected by an outdoor covered passageway. There are more things for the children at the Dolphin. The Swan is more "grownup". Dolphin is Sheraton managed. Swan is Westin.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Global Services, AA Lifetime ExecPlat, LH Senator, SQ PPS Solitaire, Hyatt Courtesy Card
There are ample good comment on this question if you use the "search" command.

In a nutshell they are very similar. Personally I prefer the Swam because it is a wee bit closer to Epcot. I also prefer walking the direction that is the closer direction from the Swan (around the Boardwalk side versus around by the Beach & Yacht clubs).

They are both great properties and very, very similar.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 9:44 am

I would avoid the Dolphin. We just got back at the end of Feb. and I wasn't impressed.

I ended up invoking the Sheraton Promise and was told I would receive 2,500 points. When my hotel points posted a couple days later and the Promise points hadn't I phoned the hotel directly and was transfered to accounting who told me it can take up to 2 weeks to post. Fair enough. It's now been over three weeks since we checked out and they still haven't posted. I'm not even going to bother with the hotel I am just going to phone Customer Relations.

While we were in a renovated room on the 8th floor the hallways were nasty and dirty. The carpets were bunching up and not laying flat and the hallways were just dirty looking. I found it disappointing but nothing worth getting upset about (and I didn't complain about this). The bed is to die for. It is a Sweet Sleeper Bed and we slept through our alarm clock 2 mornings in a row

The first problem was relatively minor. Our electronic safe locked us out (you choose your own code). After a couple of attempts I was locked out of the safe and a count down timer started! Not using hotel safes I was unsure what was going to happen so I called down to the front desk and explained the situation. They were honestly shocked and sounded concerned. They said they would get someone up right away as the countdown clock was showing 27 minutes. At around 17 minutes I called down again asking if someone was going to come up. They said they were coming up. With about 13 or so minutes to go a maintenance guy comes up and says he needs security to reset it. I heard him call to security to come up on his radio and no one shows up for the rest of the night. All of this happened between 10:10pm and 10:40pm. We waited until 11:00pm and just went to bed as we were exhausted from hanging with Mickey all day. I had to call down in the morning for someone to come up and open our safe so we could get some stuff out. They did this very promptly in the morning and I said so when letting them know about our problems (give credit were it is due)

That same morning we ordered room service. They said our order would be up within 30 minutes (I listened very carefully as this was a resort and didn't know if it applied). I phone down at 40 minutes to enquire about the 30 minute guarantee for room service. The girl on the phone passes me on to her manager who proceeds to give me a song and dance that it's busy and our meal should be coming up any minute. I told him I wasn't asking if it was on it's way but if they were going to honour the 30 minute guarantee. "But sir, you meal is on the way..." I interrupted with a polite (I'm Canadian after all) but firm "so our meal is free then" He really was quite upset at having to say yes to this. Our breakfast arrives 10 minutes later (55 minutes total) and the bacon is missing with my bacon and eggs and the meal was as you can guess, cold. There was no charge on our bill for this but this guy's attitude is what really pushed me to ask for the Sheraton Promise.

I wouldn't likely have complained for just the safe incident but put together with room service and now the Promise points not posting I am really glad I did.

I would stay at the Swan if you can get in

btw, I didn't loose it or anything as I was on vacation and I wasn't going to let a hotel get in the way of time with my wife
Old Mar 9, 2004, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With your 2 kids in tow, I might recommend the Dolphin. The Swan was designed as a more elegant "adult" hotel. The Dolphin was designed more toward family and conventions. Lot's more fun things for kids in the form of dining options and activities (including the Dolphin's Kid Club) at the Dolphin.

That said, I also believe that the Swan is a better hotel than the Dolphin. But that's pretty much expected as the Swan is branded as a Westin and the Dolphin is branded as a Sheraton. Although both of their "brandings" have become almost transparent over the years. For example at the Swan, except for a small sign in the lobby and a couple of items in your room, you'll hardly find the word "Westin" anywhere.
Old Mar 9, 2004, 7:39 pm

If it matters to you, the Swan rooms have 2 queen beds. Dolphin rooms have 2 double beds.

Old Sep 24, 2004, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA Global Services - 1 MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Platinum
Anyone have any updates for this thread.

I am going WDW in early november. Currently booked at the Swan.

Should I change to the Dolphin. I am taking my family and that includes my 21 month old daughter.

I am spg platinum. So I am hoping that helps.
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:26 pm

I wouldn't switch. You'll be fine.

Somebody else will probably post "definitely switch .. the Dolphin is better".

So you got all the answers in one post.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Sep 24, 2004 at 11:28 pm
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:18 am

Programs: UA, AA, SPG - Lifetime Gold
Question WDW Swan or Dolphin

I know that there have been several threads posted on this before, but the Google search does not help too much.

I am going to WDW (for the first time) with a 6 and 18 year old. I want to use my SPG points for a stay at either the Dolphin or Swan hotels. I would like to get some advise as to which of these two hotels is a better choice.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:03 am

Programs: *wood Gold, HH Diamond
Dolphin

Stayed at the Dolphin last year with kids. Very nice hotel, got upgraded to a room with a view of the fireworks display over Epcot, couldn't see everything but it made for a nice show. I don't think the Swan offers that view. The Dolphin is larger but its close proximity to the Swan makes services of both hotels accessible. Because of it's size free rooms and upgrades will be more plentiful at the Dolphin.
I would suggest looking at the WDW guides that describes the hotels - if I remember correctly they are very similar hotels.
Old Mar 18, 2005, 11:17 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Happy 51
Because of it's size free rooms and upgrades will be more plentiful at the Dolphin.
Not necessarily at all. I assume by "free rooms" you mean rooms available for award redemption. As long as there is a std room for sale, award redemption is a cakewalk since SPG has no blocks on std room inventory. And the upgrade opportunity equation has more to do with the percentage of upgradeable room inventory as a PERCENTAGE of total property rooms.

Several other variables apply, such as in house groups who make already have contractual holds on all or most suites/jr suites in any given property, etc.

Just b/c a hotel is substantially larger is not indicative of one's ability to score solid upgrades there. (Think: Sheraton Manhattan vs. Sheraton Russell, for example.)
Old Mar 18, 2005, 9:04 pm
ski

With kids your age, I would opt for the Dolphin. Lobby is bigger and more impressive with big Dolphin fountain. Sometimes, the Disney characters, from the character breakfast at the cafe in the Dolphin, are in the lobby. The 50's Diner, with the ice cream parlor is in the Dolphin (Be sure to ask for the passport books for the kids at the front desk if they forget to offer them. The kids get a comp ice cream at the Diner with their book.) Kid's meals at the Diner come in bright red cardboard race cars to keep. Tubbi's buffeteria, open 24 hours, with small shop, is in the basement of the Dolphin, as is the game room and daycare. The Swan lobby is not that impressive for a child, smaller and more formal. The club floor lounge is bigger at the Dolphin with a tv for the kids to watch. The hotels are essentially next to each other and share the pools. Unless it is really warm outside, the pools at the Swan and Dolphin are cold, but there are several hot tubs. The playground (on sand with a seal sprinkler) is closer to the Swan. The health club is on the Swan side. On one stay the Swan gave the children cards for comp. Swan paddle boat rides. If it makes a difference, one hotel has doubles and the other queens for their rooms with 2 beds, can't remember which. The club rooms at the Dolphin with a king also had a twin pull out sofa. Both hotels are nice, share amenities, charging, etc., it just depends what you are looking for. If you have the points and will be at the hotel for breakfast and in eve, you might consider using points to upgrade to club in advance if available. I don't think Gold's are given club access there, unless room happens to be available. Basic continental breakfast and eve snacks, but it saves alot of time. No balconies on club at Dolphin ,however, except for possibly end rooms on club floor at Dolphin. Avoid rooms on club at Swan overlooking ac vents, (small, noisy, and dirty balcony.)
Old Mar 21, 2005, 7:53 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, WoH Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Exec Plat
Agree with the above post....

I'm a local who has stayed at both hotels with my family (ages 41, 40, 16, 6 & 4).... There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Swan hotel.... but when I ask my kids which hotel we should stay at ... it is unanimous... my family prefers the DOLPHIN.

By the way... Tubby's Buffeteria is reasonably priced (by Disney's standards) and suprisingly varied for such a small cafeteria.... Need a late night bottle (or half bottle of wine) they have it! It is nothing fancy, but my kids love it.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 12:11 pm

Programs: SPG GL, AA GL
I once took the WDW architecture tour. They told us that the hotel was designed so that Dolphins was the livelier hotel. And the Swan is the quieter, smaller one. And you can tell by walking into the lobby immediately. So, I think your kids will enjoy Dolphin a little bit more.
Have fun there.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Plat, AA EXP, SPG platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
Having just returned from a 3rd visit to the Dolphin (been to the Swan twice), I'm in agreement with the two above posters--the public spaces at the Dolphin are more grand, the restaurants more family-friendly and livelier (esp. the bars late in the evening), and the club floor has more room to stretch out. Be sure to ask for the Epcot view--so that you can enjoy the nightly fireworks display from your bed or balcony.

The Swan is much more intimate in scale, with lots of interesting architectural nooks and crannies. Also, you'll find more of the fine dining restaurants on the Swan side. All in all, both are fine choices, but the Dolphin tends to appeal to kids more due to its scale and whimsical details.

A side note--be sure to check out the Disney Boardwalk for greater selection of restaurants and night spots. It's a 3-5 minute walk from either the Dolphin or the Swan (or a leisurely boat ride away). Also, another side benefit of staying at the Dolphin/Swan is the ease by which you can reach Epcot and MGM Studios--there never seems to be a crowd on the boats.
Old Mar 21, 2005, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Michael899
Having just returned from a 3rd visit to the Dolphin (been to the Swan twice), I'm in agreement with the two above posters--the public spaces at the Dolphin are more grand, the restaurants more family-friendly and livelier (esp. the bars late in the evening), and the club floor has more room to stretch out. Be sure to ask for the Epcot view--so that you can enjoy the nightly fireworks display from your bed or balcony.

The Swan is much more intimate in scale, with lots of interesting architectural nooks and crannies. Also, you'll find more of the fine dining restaurants on the Swan side. All in all, both are fine choices, but the Dolphin tends to appeal to kids more due to its scale and whimsical details.

A side note--be sure to check out the Disney Boardwalk for greater selection of restaurants and night spots. It's a 3-5 minute walk from either the Dolphin or the Swan (or a leisurely boat ride away). Also, another side benefit of staying at the Dolphin/Swan is the ease by which you can reach Epcot and MGM Studios--there never seems to be a crowd on the boats.
Agree completely with all points. Great post! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.