Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Studio City Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Studio City Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2010, 5:38 am

Four Points Orlando (Universal Area): Whats the real story?

I booked a one night stay at the Four Points Orlando near Universal. We are a party of four adults thus I booked a 2 Queen Bed Room.

On tripadvisor.com, the bad comments were small bathrooms or bad service. I can't remember the other website I went to but the bad comments were, the queen beds aren't queen size (I assume that would mean they are double beds) and the carpets were dirty (white socks turned black while walking on carpet).

I have come to the site I trust most. For those that have stayed at this hotel, what is the real story?
Old Nov 22, 2010, 7:56 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
It is OK in that you are getting what you pay for. It has been remodeled recently so it has decent bedding but my one recollection from my two 5 night stays is that the carpet in the bedroom feels like indoor/outdoor carpet. They do treat platinums well. You may want to look at the Sheraton Safari as it is another cheap Starwood alternative in Orlando.
Old Nov 24, 2010, 8:29 am

This is a better location than Sheraton Safari, which is really only convenient for Disney. This hotel is on I-Drive across the freeway from Universal Studios and near WetnWild and the Prime Outlets, much more central and closer to convention center and downtown.

Guestrooms were recently renovated and property gets very positive reviews on tripadvisor
Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:15 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: SPG Plat, Delta GM/Reserve
Trip report 1/11-1/13

This was my second visit to the property and the first since the rooms were "refreshed" I'd call it.

On the positive side, there's plenty of free parking, it's very convenient to the convention center and Universal (and I-4), good Platinum recognition, and they gave a little scratch off ticket at check in where you could win free appetizers, Starpoints, discount at the restaurant, etc. (I won a free appetizer, but didn't make use of it). The staff was (mostly) very friendly.

The negatives:

1) There was literally no hot water on my departure date and I had to endure an ice cold shower to make my flight on-time. This was really a terrible way to start the day.
2) Mass confusion over lunch. Despite the menu in the room saying that lunch is served (and I actually called down to the front desk at 3pm to inquire and the manager told me, yes the restaurant is currently serving lunch), I got down to the Lobby a few minutes after 3 and was told the restaurant was closed. I was then told I could order food at the lobby bar. I went to the lobby bar and they sent me back to the restaurant. It's really frustrating as a business traveller to not be able to get convenient access to a meal during the middle of the day.
3) Poor room service experience. I called down at around 11pm on 1/12 to order dessert and a bottle of wine. I chose the brownie sundae from the menu in my room and the room service attendant on the phone very rudely chastised me that I was "looking at an out-dated menu". How would I know that the menu was out-dated? And shouldn't the room staff keep this up to date? I asked if they had something similar and the person was just very rude and not helpful. He also made it seem like a huge arduous task to "find someone" to get a bottle of wine for me.
4) No conditioner in the bathroom and the trash wasn't emptied during my stay.
5) The A/C unit in the room was about as loud as a jet engine, which made it difficult to sleep.

Still a good deal for the price since it's so convenient, but it's definitely gone downhill since my last visit in 2009.
Old May 2, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, BD Silver, Amtrak Select, SPG & PCR Plat/ICH Amb, AA, AS, DL, PR
Currently staying here right now and I noticed two SPG-related promos that they have in this property:

Scratch & Match
For Plats, they give you this scratch card at check-in in which if you garner enough of the 4P "pinwheels" you'll get the following:
- 2 pinwheels - One house beverage
- 3 - 20% any F&B entree, breakfast, lunch or dinner
- 4 - A free appetizer
- 5 - 50% off an F&B
- 6 - 2,000 Starpoints

I bagged 5 pinwheels but unfortunately I didn't scratch it until just right after I came back from the Red Lobster across the street. Would've worked well along with the promo below:

Bonus Starpoints at the Tropical Palms Restaurant
Basically as long as you spend at least $25, you can earn:
- 250 points for breakfast
- 350 points for lunch
- 500 points for dinner

I'm seriously regretting that I didn't pay attention to both promos when I checked in (was still sulking over the STS-134 launch scrub ) but let my lesson learned be of value for fellow FTers!
Old Jun 23, 2011, 9:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Just returned from this hotel.

Great experience. I would say, bar none, the friendliest staff of any Starwood I have stayed at anywhere. Just amazing. They have a person in the lobby who functions like a greeter - super friendly! Just a really nice touch. But everyone says hello and went out of their way to make the hotel experience great.

The lobby is small but nice - totally re-done. There is a nice grab and go area that offers snacks in the AM - great for running out the door with.

The restaurant was nice too. Again, not expensive and really friendly service.

Rooms are very nice. New 4P beds are nice. Bathrooms are sparkling clean. There are not flat screens but they told me those were on the way.

And if you are going to Universal or Wet and Wild, it is the closest hotel by far. There are free shuttles to other places too, but not sure of details on that.

For the $$, this a great hotel. And it is a great deal for SPG members on the burn side given the quality.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 9:12 pm

Unfortunately the hotel was the last stop on the mears airport shuttle, if you stay here and don't have a car definitely shell out for a taxi unless you want to stop eight times first!

This was the least expensive I've paid for a Starwood hotel, $69 a night. You get what you pay for so I can't complain. Rooms are a decent size but this hotel has more feel of a quality inn or la Quinta inn than the Starwood hotels I've been to. But this is reflected in the price. Don't agree with the above poster, this has the worst lobby of any SPG hotel I've been to, very small with just a counter for front desk.

I was here for a convention and only stayed here because couldn't book westin imagine the first night. It is a bit far from the convention, shuttle took a while. Needless to say I liked the westin much more. But if this is in a convenient location for you and if you get a good price it is a perfectly reasonable hotel to stay at.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Stayed here for a 5 nighter, got upgraded to the only suite they got on the top floor. At night the suite is too dark and barley can see anything. The hotel has very VERY thin walls, had trouble sleeping most of the nights. The suite has only one flat screen tv, nothing in the living room area. It also had a microwave.

Parking was free. The internet even though it's free for everybody it was fast compared to other hotels/resorts.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
free breakfast?

Does the hotel still offer free breakfast? A post from two years ago mentioned it, but the recent posts did not (other than alluding to platinum recognition). Most 4P's don't give breakfast.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 9:56 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BigE
Does the hotel still offer free breakfast? A post from two years ago mentioned it, but the recent posts did not (other than alluding to platinum recognition). Most 4P's don't give breakfast.
No they don't. Plenty of resturants are close by in walking distance.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 6:44 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
No platinum benefits

They tell me that there are no longer any extra platinum benefits like those mentioned in the previous reviews (bkfst, scratch cards, points for meals, etc.), though of course you do get your usual welcome points and maybe a room upgrade (higher floor).

The rooms seem about what you'd expect for a four points and you'll probably get a good view of something. It is a bit noisy, even 20 floors up, unless you turn on the AC (also a bit noisy itself but at least its a kind of white noise).

Last edited by BigE; Jan 27, 2012 at 7:00 am
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by BigE
They tell me that there are no longer any extra platinum benefits like those mentioned in the previous reviews (bkfst, scratch cards, points for meals, etc.), though of course you do get your usual welcome points and maybe a room upgrade (higher floor).

The rooms seem about what you'd expect for a four points and you'll probably get a good view of something. It is a bit noisy, even 20 floors up, unless you turn on the AC (also a bit noisy itself but at least its a kind of white noise).
My family stayed there the week before last. I am a plat who makes 1 trek a year in the winter to Orlando to get out of the cold. We usually stay at the Sheraton Safari where I get upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite. It isn't the Ritz to be certain but I like the restaurant and location and my wife and I like having the separate bedroom from the kids. We stayed at the 4 points because of the renovations to the Safari.

It is not bad property overall. As a business traveler it would meet my needs for a 1 or 2 night stay. For my family though, I won't stay there again. I was on the 19th floor, 1 room with 2 beds. No upgrade available to a suite. I now know from this thread that only 1 real suite exists. The front desk actually told me this was an upgrade. I did get the points but the free movie that was advertised couldn't be offered because of technical issues.

The room was standard. Not bad at all. I didn't go to the restaurant so I can't offer any review. However, they had some food out by the front for breakfest but wanted to charge prices I thought were fairly outrageous. No break for a plat, or if there was, I wasn't offered it.

The location is decent especially being so close to Universal and so many restaurants. Tip - eat at Denny's, not IHOP. The Red Lobster across the street was also pretty good and there was an Olive Garden that was decent a couple of miles down International Drive. If you go in a warmer time of year (the temps were perfect for us - mid 70's) Wet and Wild is a quarter mile away, maybe an 1/8th. My wife thought the area was seedy compared to the area around the Safari but I really didn't hold that view myself.

In short - a decent property, certainly not a candidate for the wall of shame. I would only stay again if I was there on business.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 7:53 am

I forgot to mention one important thing - the walls are fairly thin at the property. I was so tired every night that it didn't affect my ability to sleep but it is something to consider. The staff was also friendly. No complaints there.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: Co-branded credit card status moocher
Some TripAdvisor reviews mention walking to Universal Studios from the property, rather than taking a shuttle or driving. We'll be here later this spring and will visit the HP Wizarding World for a day -- has anyone made the walk there?

I don't mind a little trek as long as there are sidewalks and the route is easy to follow. Just didn't want to start walking and find myself unexpectedly stumbling through traffic for an hour.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Vaitrucci
Some TripAdvisor reviews mention walking to Universal Studios from the property, rather than taking a shuttle or driving. We'll be here later this spring and will visit the HP Wizarding World for a day -- has anyone made the walk there?

I don't mind a little trek as long as there are sidewalks and the route is easy to follow. Just didn't want to start walking and find myself unexpectedly stumbling through traffic for an hour.
Google Maps to the rescue!

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Fo...a=ltm&t=h&z=15

Shows about a 20 minute walk and right next to Universal.

Enjoy your trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.