Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:21 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by generaltao
I have not. Still waiting. Perhaps at the annual fee renewal?
Hope not - that isn't until December for me and I don't want to be waiting that late for it come through... Normally it's been in January (at least with SPG).
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Here is what it says: American Express will no longer accept new applications for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express after February 12, 2019. When this Card is renamed as the Marriott Bonvoy American Express Card on February 13, 2019, existing Card Members will continue to get access to the Card’s great benefits and offerings.
I took that to mean there would be no applications for the SPG card after February 12, but you could get the AmEx Bonvoy card. Reading what it says for the other cards though, I believe that your interpretation is correct. I'm not sure that makes it a good card to have (at least long term) as it appears there is s a good chance it will be left to wither and die.
I assume it is just me being slow, but I have not found any clear answer to that question. Does anyone have confirmation the new re-branded SPG personal card, Marriott Bonvoy personal, will not be accepting applications?

If that is the case, then I could see a real reason to get this card now, for at least the 75K points and then cancel before the renewal. If you have never had this card, and the re-branded version never allows sign-ups, these are 75K points that will be gone forever.

TD
Old Jan 25, 2019, 8:48 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I thought it was only 75,000. Still, I get your point, especially with the AmEx once a lifetime bonus rule. As to your second point, I kind of doubt that. I think all these companies make good money selling their points to CC companies and have no problem devaluing them.
My bad, I misquoted. This paragraph is for the additional 25k per $25k spend, earning a total of 100k pts for $100k spend additional per year. I got confused with the sign up bonus.
As quoted on from the press release..
That must be taking its toll on spend because starting February 24th existing Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express cardmembers whose accounts were opened by January 23, 2019 will be eligible to earn up to 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points. Registration will be required and the offer will be 25,000 bonus points for every $25,000 in eligible purchases on the Card up to 100,000 points through the end of the year.

To my 2nd point, I guess I should rephrase, Marriott is reducing points earn rate through its CC channel.

Last edited by exploreaswego; Jan 25, 2019 at 8:53 am
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:00 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Traveler Dave

I assume it is just me being slow, but I have not found any clear answer to that question. Does anyone have confirmation the new re-branded SPG personal card, Marriott Bonvoy personal, will not be accepting applications?

If that is the case, then I could see a real reason to get this card now, for at least the 75K points and then cancel before the renewal. If you have never had this card, and the re-branded version never allows sign-ups, these are 75K points that will be gone forever.

TD
Yup, that's accurate. During the merge in August last year, Marriott strike a deal to cut away the personal premium card from AMEX, and the business card from CHASE.
So with the new branding now, the rebranded name for AMEX SPG card will only exist for existing SPG cardholders, likewise for the Chase Marriott Bis card.
You only have a window till Feb to apply for these cards before the rebranding goes into effect.

I wouldn't advise to cancel once you earn your points, you are scarring your records with AMEX, they can clawback points or ban you for a period of time earning new card signup bonus.
At least hold the card for a year, pay your fee, then cancel upon 2nd renewal year.
Traveler Dave likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
My bad, I misquoted. This paragraph is for the additional 25k per $25k spend, earning a total of 100k pts for $100k spend additional per year. I got confused with the sign up bonus.
As quoted on from the press release..
That must be taking its toll on spend because starting February 24th existing Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express cardmembers whose accounts were opened by January 23, 2019 will be eligible to earn up to 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points. Registration will be required and the offer will be 25,000 bonus points for every $25,000 in eligible purchases on the Card up to 100,000 points through the end of the year.

To my 2nd point, I guess I should rephrase, Marriott is reducing points earn rate through its CC channel.
When looking only at the SPG AmEx, they are reducing earn rate, but it has been increased Marriott branded Chase card. I happen to think the earning on the SPG AmEx were just a shorterm by product of merging two programs and the 3:1 conversion rather than some strategic decision by Marriott. It was nice while it lasted.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:17 am

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriott, IHG
When looking only at the SPG AmEx, they are reducing earn rate, but it has been increased Marriott branded Chase card. I happen to think the earning on the SPG AmEx were just a shorterm by product of merging two programs and the 3:1 conversion rather than some strategic decision by Marriott. It was nice while it lasted.
The real value of the SPG Amex wasn't the Marriott points conversion, 3:1, but the 1;1 transfer to airlines plus the 5k bonus on 20K SPG. The Business SPG's added 4x category helps a bit but having a very convertible earning at 1:1 with the SPG Amex. Personally given the awards charts available I preferred SPG points (and thus Marriott) to UR and MR because how much cheaper, in miles, I could bet comp flights.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Ripley62
The real value of the SPG Amex wasn't the Marriott points conversion, 3:1, but the 1;1 transfer to airlines plus the 5k bonus on 20K SPG. The Business SPG's added 4x category helps a bit but having a very convertible earning at 1:1 with the SPG Amex. Personally given the awards charts available I preferred SPG points (and thus Marriott) to UR and MR because how much cheaper, in miles, I could bet comp flights.
Disagree. I was able to get some good value at Marriotts that were only 40k points when comparable SPG hotels were 20k. How were flights cheaper in SPG points than in UR points? I realize SPG had a larger number of airlines to transfer to, but the earn/burn doesn't seem better than UR to me.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:20 pm

Disagree. I was able to get some good value at Marriotts that were only 40k points when comparable SPG hotels were 20k. How were flights cheaper in SPG points than in UR points? I realize SPG had a larger number of airlines to transfer to, but the earn/burn doesn't seem better than UR to me.
I have seen a 48K reward night, a 5th night free redemption but I've rarely found those that you can't purchase for much less than $2,400. And if you can' then there is very likely not 5 night block of available redemption rooms. I've alway have gotten more than $2,400 value out of transferring 240K points to airlines. That's a 100k airline miles, or 2 transatlantic in J or 8 main cabin transatlantic or 2 transpacific in J or 4 domestic F transcon tickets. Sure you get those at times for less than $2,400 but its not easy especially the premium cabin tickets.

The UR partners have more expensive charts than the SPG/ Marriott charts. For example for comparable longhaul flights BA often needs twice as many miles as AA or AS. Delta is normally twice and sometime much more than what AA is in miles. UR loosing Korean makes Transpac much more expensive, in points, then what's available via Marriott and was available via SPG. Every time I search on Delta or United its ends up being a lot more points than what I transfer into from Marriott. Yes its easier to earn UR and MR with bonus categories.

A couple recent examples I just got two Cathay J tickets IAD-BKK for 100k AS points that was 240K Marriott points. That's a $10,000 in tickets. yes, the RT would have been nearly the same dollar cost but twice as many miles. I already had the return flight and just need two oneway to SEA. Now that's a extreme example. Another is a transcontinental RT ticket in First/biz is 50K from my local airport that's at a minimum $1,200 ticket, a drive to BWI/IAD/PHL/EWR if I'm lucky might cut that in half. That's 120K Marriott transferred. Sure there are occasions where a 60K night cost over $500/night all in but for personal travel that's very rarely the case since personal travel normal is pretty flexible.

That same 240K points also reserved a 5th night free at the StR Florence, obviously a different trip, and a very high value redemptions as the rooms are often close to $1k. I canceled the reward stay last week because the current Member Luxury offer rate was US$502/night with $50 credit per night plus on that I'd earn around 12K points a night as a PPE with 23.5x/$ points. So the real cost of that rewards over buying it was 240K + (12x5)= 300K points. Also the benefit is 5 night was too long but for my best scheduling I really only wanted 3 nights in Florence. The 5th night free rewards are the only ones I've seen that even comes close the value of transferring to Airlines. That trip started by my looking at the current Cat 7 properties that will move to cat 8 likely and cost much more under SPG, ie the StR in Florence and Gritti in Venice. Well, I found a US$250 rate at the JWM Venice and last week found the deal on StR Florence, its since gone down a bit further.

Another hotel redemption example. The StR in NYC is 60K and most of the rest of this month its lowest is around $700, which is a good redemption of 60K Marriott points. Its often a $1k/night hotel room. But not far away is the JWM Essex house, not quite as nice but a good hotel for $320/night almost every weekend night. The Edition is $285-384/night. But to be honest I'd more likely stay at the Marriott East side for $135/night. And that's pretty typical of my pleasure hotel searches. When I'm not flexible is almost exclusively a night I'm reimbursed for which I wouldn't use a reward night in the first place. The other thing sure Bora Bora would be a great redemption but arability isn't exactly plentiful just like you're not going for availability on those $1k night in the RC or StR in NYC.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by Ripley62
I have seen a 48K reward night, a 5th night free redemption but I've rarely found those that you can't purchase for much less than $2,400. And if you can' then there is very likely not 5 night block of available redemption rooms. I've alway have gotten more than $2,400 value out of transferring 240K points to airlines. That's a 100k airline miles, or 2 transatlantic in J or 8 main cabin transatlantic or 2 transpacific in J or 4 domestic F transcon tickets. Sure you get those at times for less than $2,400 but its not easy especially the premium cabin tickets.

The UR partners have more expensive charts than the SPG/ Marriott charts. For example for comparable longhaul flights BA often needs twice as many miles as AA or AS. Delta is normally twice and sometime much more than what AA is in miles. UR loosing Korean makes Transpac much more expensive, in points, then what's available via Marriott and was available via SPG. Every time I search on Delta or United its ends up being a lot more points than what I transfer into from Marriott. Yes its easier to earn UR and MR with bonus categories.

A couple recent examples I just got two Cathay J tickets IAD-BKK for 100k AS points that was 240K Marriott points. That's a $10,000 in tickets. yes, the RT would have been nearly the same dollar cost but twice as many miles. I already had the return flight and just need two oneway to SEA. Now that's a extreme example. Another is a transcontinental RT ticket in First/biz is 50K from my local airport that's at a minimum $1,200 ticket, a drive to BWI/IAD/PHL/EWR if I'm lucky might cut that in half. That's 120K Marriott transferred. Sure there are occasions where a 60K night cost over $500/night all in but for personal travel that's very rarely the case since personal travel normal is pretty flexible.

That same 240K points also reserved a 5th night free at the StR Florence, obviously a different trip, and a very high value redemptions as the rooms are often close to $1k. I canceled the reward stay last week because the current Member Luxury offer rate was US$502/night with $50 credit per night plus on that I'd earn around 12K points a night as a PPE with 23.5x/$ points. So the real cost of that rewards over buying it was 240K + (12x5)= 300K points. Also the benefit is 5 night was too long but for my best scheduling I really only wanted 3 nights in Florence. The 5th night free rewards are the only ones I've seen that even comes close the value of transferring to Airlines. That trip started by my looking at the current Cat 7 properties that will move to cat 8 likely and cost much more under SPG, ie the StR in Florence and Gritti in Venice. Well, I found a US$250 rate at the JWM Venice and last week found the deal on StR Florence, its since gone down a bit further.

Another hotel redemption example. The StR in NYC is 60K and most of the rest of this month its lowest is around $700, which is a good redemption of 60K Marriott points. Its often a $1k/night hotel room. But not far away is the JWM Essex house, not quite as nice but a good hotel for $320/night almost every weekend night. The Edition is $285-384/night. But to be honest I'd more likely stay at the Marriott East side for $135/night. And that's pretty typical of my pleasure hotel searches. When I'm not flexible is almost exclusively a night I'm reimbursed for which I wouldn't use a reward night in the first place. The other thing sure Bora Bora would be a great redemption but arability isn't exactly plentiful just like you're not going for availability on those $1k night in the RC or StR in NYC.
It seems like you are saying, yes, the number of airlines for transfer from SPG/MR (especially OW) is a big factor making it more valuable to you. Fair enough. I really have no use for international J. Domestic Y is what I almost always fly, and most of the value there has been sapped from FFP. However, I was able to use 160k points last summer (pre Aug) for 5 nights in Hawaii. I don't remember the exact cash price for those rooms, but it was over $2k. I considered that good value. Those same rooms now are 200k for 5 nights. With the reduced earning from AmEx it would cost $100k in spending for that vs. the $53,333 in spending that it would have cost me.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:57 pm

Hum, well your comparing a Marriott redemption to SPG earning, yes they were one company and you could transfer but it was a brief period of just over 2 years between the purchase, they became convertible in Sept 2016, and the merger last summer. Before that a Marriott card earned 1 point per dollar so your redemption would have taken $160K spend before Sept 2016 or well I'm not sure they were 13.33 point SPG hotels but not in Hawaii. So I'm thinking you talking about a 40K Marriott property which aligns with them being 50K now. Those would not have been available to you before Sept 2016, pretty much only the summer of '17 and '18, for redemptions with SPG earned points. It's like those that spent 25 nights in a SPG hotel complaining they were losing the benefits Marriott members had to spend 50 night to getting all along.

The SPG Hawaii properties were, the less than stellar Sheraton Kauai Resort which was 12-16K SPG points (36K - 48K marriott points) a night, its now 35K/night. or the Westin which was 20K - 25K SPG (60-75K Marriott) Its now 35k Marriott points. So except for the ls the 2 years you could earn SPG points with the card and transfer them to Marriott properties your equations wasn't reality. The only 40K Marriott points hotels that where Marriott Hotels that before Sept 2016 you couldn't use SPG earn points to redeem for.

Granted the Wailea Beach Marriott went from 40K to 50k between '17 and '19 (it was 30K in '12). Pretty much the same for the other Marriott properties in Hawaii. Then again SPG alway earned much less for the hotel spending (not credit car hotel spending)
Old Jan 31, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Have any nights been credited from Amex cards?

In this chaotic merger between Marriott/SPG, I understood one of the new “enhancements” was that the Amex cards would give night credits for status purposes in the new merged program. Has anyone seen these show up in their accounts yet for 2019?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:37 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
In this chaotic merger between Marriott/SPG, I understood one of the new “enhancements” was that the Amex cards would give night credits for status purposes in the new merged program. Has anyone seen these show up in their accounts yet for 2019?
As has been stated in multiple credit card threads, no.... The T&C state that if you had the credit card as of December 31, 2018, your 15-night credit will be applied on or before March 1, 2019. There is still a month to go before we should be worried.
satman40 likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
never mind...dupe...read your T&Cs.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Chaos, disaster, whatever. Discussed in many threads and most recently, here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...er-merger.html
Old Jan 31, 2019, 4:06 pm

Decided to apply since this card is going away and see this to the right of the application:

Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had The Marriott Rewards®Premier Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, The Marriott Rewards Credit Card from Chase, or The Ritz-Carlton Rewards®Credit Card from JP Morgan in the last 30 days.

This is the first I've remembered seeing one bank not offering a bonus due to your relationship with another bank (outside of 5/24.) Sure enough, I do have the Ritz Carlton Rewards Card and when I click submit on my application I receive:

NAME because you have or have had a Marriott or Ritz-Carlton Consumer Co-Branded Credit Card issued by JP Morgan Chase, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer.
Seems pretty cut and dry that I'm not eligible...... right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.