Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
The property does not participate in Suite Night Awards.
Print Wikipost

Westin Miyako, Kyoto, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by Condition One
This is the only Starwood property in Kyoto
Suiran is a Starwood property on the western side of Kyoto. We stayed at both Suiran and the Westin Kyoto on the same trip. The Suiran was much pricier and nicer, but the Westin was a good value and met our needs as a base camp for touristing around town.
Old Mar 15, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by Central90210
Can’t agree more regarding breakfast at the main restaurant. Were you offered the Japanese breakfast at the Chinese restaurant? I find the breakfast there a much more relaxing and exclusive affair, service up a few notches as well.
I was told to go to Aquablu (sp?) for breakfast. Did not know about the Chinese restaurant option!

And Ralphs is correct - I totally blanked on the Suiran, even though I looked into it. I passed primarily due to its location. That's what I get for writing reviews at 4am
Old May 11, 2018, 11:31 am

Great stay in a big suite here. The rooms aren't refurbished, but it was a welcome change from a small room at The Art Hotel in Hirosaki! Everyone is very friendly and the breakfast at Aquablu is very expansive. We dressed in local kimonos and used the garden as our backdrop in some photos- very pretty! We ate at Le Sodoh and had a really nice dinner with friendly waitstaff.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 11:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Finished a 3 night stay at this hotel with 1 adult and 2 children (1 pre-teen & 1 young teenager). Booked 2 singles on points in base room. Was upgraded to a 3 singles family room - 50+ sqm and was definitely like a junior suite. It was perfect for us and enjoyed by all. I was a platinum so I did not pay any additional points or $ for the room upgrade. Buffet breakfast was comped in Aquablue for all 3 of us - hotel said not to worry about paying for the young one. Also had lounge access with no issue. As a platinum, the sort-of typical Japan pool fee was waived, so that was another good savings (4 days * 3 people * 4,000 yen = 48.000).

The hotel just started a refurbishment so hopefully the tiredness will be addressed as well as the showers. I can see if someone spent $200+ per night they could be disappointed.

Any questions, I will try to address, cheers.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PWMFlyer19
The hotel just started a refurbishment so hopefully the tiredness will be addressed as well as the showers.....
It doesn't look a typical hotel in Rome anymore?
triplefives likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
welcome news

This is great news that the hotel is undergoing a refurbishment.
I recall (from my 2011 stay) it was not in good shape. Many tour groups. What it had was a transfer bus from the train station and a fantastic set of pools and a spa?
Old Sep 9, 2018, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Accor Plat+++
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It doesn't look a typical hotel in Rome anymore?
It still is a typical hotel - nothing special...they are refurbishing public spaces now...I hope they get to the rooms sooner (or maybe were already doing rooms on floors I did not venture too).

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
This is great news that the hotel is undergoing a refurbishment.
I recall (from my 2011 stay) it was not in good shape. Many tour groups. What it had was a transfer bus from the train station and a fantastic set of pools and a spa?
Basically, yes. The subway (Keage) is just next door too which made it easy to get into town or go to Inari - and there are a bunch of temples/shrines within a short walk. A taxi is not bad from Gion / Pontocho (<1000 yen) after dinner (the shuttle will drop you off as it goes back to the train station - but wont pick you up). I would say the pools were very good - not fantastic. Did not try spa - the restaurants are overpriced - of course.

I will say the service was excellent in general, from the front desk to pool attendants to housekeeping.

Cheers.

Last edited by PWMFlyer19; Sep 9, 2018 at 6:15 pm Reason: add
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Is this not bookable with points ? I can't find rewards availability for 7 nights furing the 6 months of 2019.

It seems that "newly renovated rooms" rooms are the cheapest rooms available for cash bookings but that they are not considered "standard rooms" for reward points redemptions
Old Sep 24, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
Is this not bookable with points ? I can't find rewards availability for 7 nights furing the 6 months of 2019.

It seems that "newly renovated rooms" rooms are the cheapest rooms available for cash bookings but that they are not considered "standard rooms" for reward points redemptions
Same here. Trying to book 2 or 3 nights at Westin Miyako for early March 2019 and there are less than 10 dates are available for rewards booking in the first 6 months of 2019, and none for the 2nd half! Same story with Suiran (another legacy SPG hotel). Checked about a month ago and there were lots of availability, and the next day there were all gone. But the Ritz has wide-open rewards availability.

Could Marriott actively block members from redeeming points at legacy SPG hotels?! Can we expect more award availability to open later?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 9:15 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by XFer2
Same here. Trying to book 2 or 3 nights at Westin Miyako for early March 2019 and there are less than 10 dates are available for rewards booking in the first 6 months of 2019, and none for the 2nd half! Same story with Suiran (another legacy SPG hotel). Checked about a month ago and there were lots of availability, and the next day there were all gone. But the Ritz has wide-open rewards availability.

Could Marriott actively block members from redeeming points at legacy SPG hotels?! Can we expect more award availability to open later?
It seems that the hotel is in the process of renovating their standard rooms. They currently have 2 room categories for them: standard and renovated rooms. The standard rooms are being phased out progressively as renovation advances, but the renovated rooms are not considered "standard" rooms for the purpose of SPG redemptions.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 9:25 am
Suspended

nevermind

Last edited by MasterGeek; Oct 1, 2018 at 9:39 am
Old Nov 30, 2018, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by MasterGeek
It seems that the hotel is in the process of renovating their standard rooms. They currently have 2 room categories for them: standard and renovated rooms. The standard rooms are being phased out progressively as renovation advances, but the renovated rooms are not considered "standard" rooms for the purpose of SPG redemptions.
They just opened a bunch of award space this past week with the "renovated room" being the standard room. I was able to find my target dates available for points booking. However, when attempting to make the reservation (tried both online and calling Platinum reservation), they said the standard room only accommodate 2 people, no matter what the bed configuration is. The Marriott website if I put 2 adults and 1 child, it only gives me the choice of Executive 2-bedroom connecting suite.

Has anyone had experience with this hotel not able to accommodate more than 2 people in a room? In particularly in the renovated room?
Old Nov 30, 2018, 10:22 pm

I can't find any availability – I want to book points, but there aren't even any rooms paid with cash – for October 2019. Am I missing something?
Old Dec 1, 2018, 9:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by XFer2
They just opened a bunch of award space this past week with the "renovated room" being the standard room. I was able to find my target dates available for points booking. However, when attempting to make the reservation (tried both online and calling Platinum reservation), they said the standard room only accommodate 2 people, no matter what the bed configuration is. The Marriott website if I put 2 adults and 1 child, it only gives me the choice of Executive 2-bedroom connecting suite.

Has anyone had experience with this hotel not able to accommodate more than 2 people in a room? In particularly in the renovated room?
I noticed too that they release award availability and they also migrated their reservation system to Marriott so I cancelled my SPG-based which cost more points because it wasn't a standard room and was able to snagged a 10 days reservation during CHERRY BLOSSOM 2019 I will now be able to attache my Travel Package Category 5 certificate to it !

I am going with my <1 year old baby and made a reservation for two adults (room details say crib permitted) assuming there will be no problem at check-in

However, I have Suite Night Awards but Marriott.com says I cannot apply them to the reservation

Last edited by MasterGeek; Dec 1, 2018 at 9:35 pm
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Tried to look for next summer bookings - NOTHING available past December 2018. It seems like this property, like many other Japanese properties, only allow bookings very close-in... disappointing for those of us who like to plan&book early!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.