Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2005, 11:15 am
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
Mrs. MileKing and I are considering a trip to Austria for next May or June. Out of curiousity, I checked a number of dates at the various Salzburg properties and was dismayed to find almost no availability for award stays. I think the Goldener Hirsch has award availability for 2 Single Beds on many days (not sure what Mrs. MileKing would think of that), but the other properties come up as nothing available....NOTHING, although rooms are available for purchase.
Old Nov 9, 2005, 2:14 pm

Programs: HHoners Diamond, Starwood Platinum, NWA Platinum
Stayed at the Sheraton Salzburg in late October. I used points + $ (4,000 + $60 US) for a single night. Platinum status and upgraded to a junior suite. The room was nice & large: sitting area with couch & chair, desk, & king bed. The bathroom was also very nice: bathtub, seperate shower & a bide (didn't try it out). The view was not that great, had view of another building and the streat. Unfortunatley they did not have an lounge for SPG members. The staff at the desk was very nice. The hotel was in walking distance to the Old & New towns of Salzburg. We arrived and departed by train which was also within walking distance from the hotel (10 min).
Old Nov 9, 2005, 3:11 pm

Programs: BA, BD, AF, LH, AA, EK, Hilton, ICHG, SPG
I was at the Sheraton Salzburg last weekend and was upgraded to the Presidential Suite! This is fairly remarkable because - as you will see if you follow my link below - I am actually an ICHG freeloader (In fact this is my first post here!)

Anyway, I've just posted a little pictorial report about my stay on my own website, if anyone's interested. Just follow 'Mini Reports' on the main menu and scroll down.

In case you can't be bothered ... I really enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back in this area - hopefully before too long and during summertime!
Old Dec 16, 2005, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
Salzburg Hotels

We have always taken "busy" vacations.....always on the run.....more to see....afraid to miss anything. This year, for our birthdays, we've decided to take a "sit and veg" vacation. We are going to Salzburg, which we both know quite well. No car. Just sit in the cafes, read some great books, watch the world go by, and eat great food. Maybe some hikes up the hills and thru some on the mountains, but no sightseeing.

We are planning on 5 nights at the Goldener Hirsch and then 5 nights out near Fuschl.

The Goldener Hirsch is our fav property in the entire Starwood fleet. We've always been in a great room......not sure if that was an upgrade or if that was the room we were booked in.

And while I have been to Fuschl, and have stayed in a B&B in Hof, and spent a "quasi"-honeymoon on the Wolfgang See, I have never even seen the Schloss Fuschl or the Jadghotel in Hof.

There have seen some threads, but most of the posts have been quite a while ago. Anyone been to the two properties recently? Since we don't want a car, what is the location relative to each other? Pics on the web look like both are on the lake; is that correct? Any great ideas or comments to share in comparing the two? (I know the Schloss is closed until July 1; we are looking at Sept holiday.)
Old Dec 17, 2005, 5:37 am

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by kevinsac
We have always taken "busy" vacations.....always on the run.....more to see....afraid to miss anything. This year, for our birthdays, we've decided to take a "sit and veg" vacation. We are going to Salzburg, which we both know quite well. No car. Just sit in the cafes, read some great books, watch the world go by, and eat great food. Maybe some hikes up the hills and thru some on the mountains, but no sightseeing.

We are planning on 5 nights at the Goldener Hirsch and then 5 nights out near Fuschl.

The Goldener Hirsch is our fav property in the entire Starwood fleet. We've always been in a great room......not sure if that was an upgrade or if that was the room we were booked in.

And while I have been to Fuschl, and have stayed in a B&B in Hof, and spent a "quasi"-honeymoon on the Wolfgang See, I have never even seen the Schloss Fuschl or the Jadghotel in Hof.

There have seen some threads, but most of the posts have been quite a while ago. Anyone been to the two properties recently? Since we don't want a car, what is the location relative to each other? Pics on the web look like both are on the lake; is that correct? Any great ideas or comments to share in comparing the two? (I know the Schloss is closed until July 1; we are looking at Sept holiday.)

I have stayed during last year on my Salzburg vacation, at the Goldener Hirsch ( I agree here it is a marvellous property and as a Starwood Plat, they upgraded me to a 1 Bedroom Suite which was wonderful).

I also stayed for two nights at Schloss Fuschl, if you are looking to stay close to the lake, compared with Arabella Jagdhof then Schloss Fuschl is the place to be, it is right on Lake Fuschl you can walk down there from the Hotel and the view from the Terrace of the Hotel where you also eat, just breathtaking.

Arabella Jagdhof although is not far from Schloss Fuschl, about 1.5 km up the road, but if you have to walk down to the lake everytime , well I think it catches up. If you go to Schloss Fuschl you will pass Jagdhof Hotel.

If I can recommend something, go to Schloss Fuschl, it is so romantic, very service orientated etc. I would only consider Arabella Jagdhof, if Schloss Fuschl would be sold out. I would nevertheless recommend having a car there.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by kevinsac
...And while I have been to Fuschl, and have stayed in a B&B in Hof, and spent a "quasi"-honeymoon on the Wolfgang See, I have never even seen the Schloss Fuschl or the Jadghotel in Hof.

I did not stay at the hotels, but have visited them:

-The Jagdhotel is on the main road (not on the lake) and pretty new. That might be the reason you haven't seen it.
-I second ThWilmesi, the Schloss is nearby, a little remote, steep road down the hill to the Schloss and lake. When I was there, they had a couple of meetings, weddings. Romantik setting ...
-I second ThWilmesi, you need a car.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: CO; UA; Delta; Hilton Gold; SPG
Just keep in mind that the Schoss Fuschl can be exquisite as long as you book into the castle portion.

The rest of the hotel is very 70s and is booked by school children. Beware!

You simply can't go wrong with any room at the Goldener Hirsch.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 10:12 pm

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
Originally Posted by TahitiBoy
Just keep in mind that the Schoss Fuschl can be exquisite as long as you book into the castle portion.

The rest of the hotel is very 70s and is booked by school children. Beware!

You simply can't go wrong with any room at the Goldener Hirsch.
Agreed what TahitiBoy said about the Schloss Fuschl, but they are now closed for about 1 year and do completely renovate the whole property, I would expect that the 70... issues are being adressed too.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold
We stayed at the Arrabella Jagdhof for 2 nights last June and loved our suite and the view from the breakfast terrace. We walked down the hill to the lake side hotel and back up through the golf course to our hotel. I would want ot stay at both hotels and also drive around all those beautiful lakes again.
Old Dec 18, 2005, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA LT GS/5MM, DL 3MMGold, HHDia, HyattGlob, IHG Spire Amb, Marr Plat/LTG, SPG LTP
Agree with all of above.

The Goldener Hirsch is a fab property and I invariably get upgraded to a suite.
The Schloss Fuschl is similarly wonderful in the old castle.
The Jagdhof is surprisingly pleasant (again upgraded) but farther from the lake.

All great properties.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 12:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
We stayed at the Jagdhof for 2 nts in September of this year and loved it. Great spa (no cost except for massage etc.) and breakfast. The 2 proerties are not far apart. We had a visit of the Fuschl and were informed that it was clsoing for renovation the following day.....Given the rate difference, I would pick the Jagdhof and go over to the Fuschl for a meal or two. If I remember correctly, one can use services of either hotel if staying at one of the properties.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 7:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Retired FF
We stayed at the Jagdhof for 2 nts in September of this year and loved it.
What's the weather like there in September? My wife and I are thinking of staying there before or after a trip to Munich for Oktoberfest next fall.
Old Dec 19, 2005, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 2MM/GS; SPG Lifetime Plat; MHC Lifetime; Tar Heel forever; and I "Dig the Pig" at Piggly Wiggly
You might have some cool evenings since you are in the mountains, but days should be nice, blue skies, maybe some wispy clouds.

(OK....having said that..........we'll probably end up with rain storms the entire time!)
Old Dec 22, 2005, 4:15 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
My wife and I spent several nights at the Arabella Jagdhof last October. Loved it. Modern, spacious but warm and cozy rooms (lots of wood). Walked to the lake once or twice. (Got mooed at by a perturbed cow, but that was the only incident.)

Good news about the Arabella Jagdhof is there is a quick bus into Salzburg that runs quite frequently, and stops directly in front of the hotel. Not a pain and all. We took a cab from the train station to the hotel, then used the bus to go into the city, and a cab again when we left.
Old Dec 22, 2005, 10:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy-lifeime Titanium,Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wizzy
What's the weather like there in September? My wife and I are thinking of staying there before or after a trip to Munich for Oktoberfest next fall.
We were there in mid Sept. and the weather was picture perfect. Sunny and in high 70s in day time and a bit cooler at night. I was told that this was unusual as the normal temp is cooler in September.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.