Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Grand Salzburg, Austria [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by JCT001
A good few years ago I remember having it and it was SO good !
Truthfully, I might not know what strudel actually looks like.
Old Aug 31, 2023, 2:26 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
yes on some days there is strudel. but not every day, and it is served as a mini-portion as almost all the cakes/pastry type desserts are (which is great since you feel little to no guilt having three at a time)
yyzflyer likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2023, 10:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Belated report from a couple months ago. Supposedly upgraded to a "Club Room" on the floor beneath the vaunted ETAGE7 lounge which I didn't have access to, apparently due to being a lowly Plat. Room was fine. Welcome fruits/chocolates in the room on arrival. Bathroom was well sized. Plenty of closet space. Had to push for just a 2 pm late checkout.

Food in the restaurant at breakfast was also good, including a station for omelets and other hot food items. Although it was a crowded mess most of the mornings that I was there. On different mornings, my table was cleared (napkin/utensils/etc.) while I went to get additional items from the buffet, and once when I came back it was cleared with a "Reserved" sign on the table presumably in preparation for lunch, so I basically had to switch tables mid-breakfast. Staff didn't really seem to care.

The lounge that Platinums have access to may have been one of the least inviting lounge spaces that I've been in. Awkward seating arrangements and minimal offerings. The few items of food I saw didn't look that appetizing so didn't try it. The wines that I tried were pretty bad (could have been because they were opened for some time). Good place to grab a soda or a water though after the long walks around the Old Town and surrounding hills. Didn't see any beers available there. Those would have been a welcome sight.

To me, the best thing about this place by far was the location. Easily walkable from the train station and to the nearby sights.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by econ
Belated report from a couple months ago. Supposedly upgraded to a "Club Room" on the floor beneath the vaunted ETAGE7 lounge which I didn't have access to, apparently due to being a lowly Plat. Room was fine. Welcome fruits/chocolates in the room on arrival. Bathroom was well sized. Plenty of closet space. Had to push for just a 2 pm late checkout.

Food in the restaurant at breakfast was also good, including a station for omelets and other hot food items. Although it was a crowded mess most of the mornings that I was there. On different mornings, my table was cleared (napkin/utensils/etc.) while I went to get additional items from the buffet, and once when I came back it was cleared with a "Reserved" sign on the table presumably in preparation for lunch, so I basically had to switch tables mid-breakfast. Staff didn't really seem to care.

The lounge that Platinums have access to may have been one of the least inviting lounge spaces that I've been in. Awkward seating arrangements and minimal offerings. The few items of food I saw didn't look that appetizing so didn't try it. The wines that I tried were pretty bad (could have been because they were opened for some time). Good place to grab a soda or a water though after the long walks around the Old Town and surrounding hills. Didn't see any beers available there. Those would have been a welcome sight.

To me, the best thing about this place by far was the location. Easily walkable from the train station and to the nearby sights.
I would like to emphasize the views of econ. As Bonvoy Platinum, the room was very nice, with welcome fruits in the room. However the executive lounge on the ground floor is the worst lounge we have used in many years. It is small, with no attendant and no views. There are only three tables. One hot item, and some cheeses and breads. There are Austrian wines. Only one other couple there. Other couples entered and left without staying. I am well aware that there is a luxury ETAGE7 lounge with views of Mirabell Gardens, available if I wished to book a room for an additional 100 euros a night. Given the high prices the Sheraton Grand Salzburg here charges for regular rooms, this was a considerable disappointment, and FT members should be aware of this on booking here. The Marriott Mayburg Tribute offers a reasonable budget alternative, IMHO.

Are there other Marriott hotels with a two lounge policy, with Marriott Bonvoy elites relegated to a grossly inferior lounge? One wonders!
econ likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 11:03 am

Programs: UA 2MM
I will further state that the Sheraton's breakfast is great. On one occasion there was apple strudel for breakfast, and a sparkling wine every morning. We had no problem requesting a 4 pm check-out, as Bonvoy Platinum. Staff were very helpful. Great location, at Mirabell Gardens. Ignoring the lounge issue noted above, this is a lovely hotel.
iluvdoco likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I will further state that the Sheraton's breakfast is great. On one occasion there was apple strudel for breakfast, and a sparkling wine every morning. We had no problem requesting a 4 pm check-out, as Bonvoy Platinum. Staff were very helpful. Great location, at Mirabell Gardens. Ignoring the lounge issue noted above, this is a lovely hotel.
Apple strudel for breakfast you say....
Old Oct 26, 2023, 12:20 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I would like to emphasize the views of econ. As Bonvoy Platinum, the room was very nice, with welcome fruits in the room. However the executive lounge on the ground floor is the worst lounge we have used in many years. It is small, with no attendant and no views. There are only three tables. One hot item, and some cheeses and breads. There are Austrian wines. Only one other couple there. Other couples entered and left without staying. I am well aware that there is a luxury ETAGE7 lounge with views of Mirabell Gardens, available if I wished to book a room for an additional 100 euros a night. Given the high prices the Sheraton Grand Salzburg here charges for regular rooms, this was a considerable disappointment, and FT members should be aware of this on booking here. The Marriott Mayburg Tribute offers a reasonable budget alternative, IMHO.

Are there other Marriott hotels with a two lounge policy, with Marriott Bonvoy elites relegated to a grossly inferior lounge? One wonders!
That would be a very bad policy, IMO
Old Nov 7, 2023, 10:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Anyone recently had success using SUA successful upgraded to ETAGE7 Sky Suite / Grand Suite / Junior Suite? Does SUA usually clears in this hotel?
Old Nov 8, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: UA Slvr, DL Slvr, AA plt, HH LTD, MR tit/LTP at least two of those buy 10 get 1 free coffee cards
Originally Posted by zoneflyer
Anyone recently had success using SUA successful upgraded to ETAGE7 Sky Suite / Grand Suite / Junior Suite? Does SUA usually clears in this hotel?
I was wondering this myself. I like the looks of the Sheraton Grand, but that lounge situation is irritating. Just booked the Goldener Hirsch for a short atay early 2024. Would prob book the SG if SNA/NUA success was likely.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 10:01 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
I was wondering this myself. I like the looks of the Sheraton Grand, but that lounge situation is irritating. Just booked the Goldener Hirsch for a short atay early 2024. Would prob book the SG if SNA/NUA success was likely.
Goldener Hirsch is a better and more interesting property, regardless.
Old Nov 8, 2023, 5:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AS MVP Gold, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aroundtheworld76
Guess I'll find out end of month. The SUA selections includes regular deluxe room to most ETAGE7 rooms/suites, I'll focus on ETAGE7 suites and see how it goes.
Looked at Goldener Hirsch before but prefer more modern room decor and Sheraton was cheaper for my dates.
aroundtheworld76 likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2023, 3:23 pm

Completed two nights here last week. Booked basic King with FNA and points and used SNA for both nights. Five days before our stay we were successfully upgraded to Sky Suite Terrace View on the top floor (6th), I may be wrong but I recall this is the highest suites available for using SNA.
Not a true suite but a big room with sofa area which has ample enough space for two of us, and it was lovely when it snowed outside. Breakfast includes a decent buffet spread, everything is self-served with waiters somethings coming over asking for coffee or tea. A bit let down that the hotel does not have amenities like steam room and sauna.

The ETAGE7 lounge is just a short walk from our room, perfect for after dinner tea / alcohol time. Huge selections of bottled drinks and wines, with desserts and hot foods (pizzas, fish sticks) served during meal time. We definitely enjoyed the lounge but didn't utilize it much as we were mostly out and about.

It's a short 10-12 minute walk to Salzburg Old Town and you will walk pass the quaintness Mirabell Gardens which was great to start and end the day. The main Xmas market is in the old town but there is another small one by the gardens. It's such a dreamy vibe checking out Xmas market when snowing.

Last edited by zoneflyer; Dec 8, 2023 at 4:23 pm
Old Dec 14, 2023, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
It has been a while since I've been back on FT, but this is our goto hotel in Salzburg, since spending 6 months in Malaga and 6 months in Phoenix, we go back to Salzburg at least once a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.