Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2013, 1:36 am

Programs: Starwood PLATINUM, BA GOLD, KrisFlyer Blue, GFF Silver, BATS After Work Club, Emirates Silver
I would go for the SGS. The Orchid, although it's by the river, is rather remote in terms of location, whereas the SGS has a great location (perhaps why there are 4 SPG hotels within 1km or less). Just avoid the Le Meridien Patpong whatever you do.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:02 am

Programs: KL Platinum
Originally Posted by john11111111111
Just avoid the Le Meridien Patpong whatever you do.
Why?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:49 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
I think the SGS is better if you already know what you want to do in BKK. It does have a great pool and the best breakfast.

BUT, the ROS sounds like it would be better suited for you. First of all, the suites at the ROS are better, and there are many more suites. It has the 2nd best pool, 2 of them actually. And a nice towers lounge, decent breakfast downstairs.

The ROS is in a better location for "sightseeing" and better for first time visitors, in my opinion. Where else do you take a boat that delivers you to the SkyTrain? Frequent visitors don't like to wait for the boat. First timers want to do it again and again, despite the wait. Another thing the ROS has is the proximity to so many other 5 Star river hotels... all with the best restaurants, afternoon teas, and another dozen riverside restaurants (not all of them that expensive)

SGS is better for getting to shopping malls, nightlife, and pubs. SGS has a higher level of service, but the rooms are quite dated, and suite upgrades are hard even for frequent visitors.

SGS to live in the action while being in a great hotel tucked away from the madness.

ROS to feel like you're away from the hustle, on the river, near other hotels, but a little isolated from the crazyness.

Both have good views, but can you beat that river view? Hmmmmm

Decide for yourself. If I were you, I would book both on refundable rates, and then apply suite upgrades to both. If one confirms and the other doesn't then your choice is made easy. If they both confirm, then flip a coin.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Bangkok: which hotel should I choose?

"Bangkok: which hotel should I choose?"

The reality is that all Starwood Bangkok properties have advantages and disadvantages, but, more important, tastes varies, so the opinions of past guests might not be the same as yours.
The most efficient way to select the property, the most suited to you, is to browse through this thread and the hotel threads, then find out what you like from what the guests reported.

None are bad, but some used to be much better than what they are now, so older posts might no longer be accurate.

I would also advise to check the rates. Lower rates not only means that you pay less, but it also means that you have a good chance to be at a property that will be less crowded.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by seanthepilot
Where else do you take a boat that delivers you to the SkyTrain?
Seanthepilot, I thought that I read somewhere that the Saphan Taksin station was going to close for a year for reconstruction or something like that. Do you have any info?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA1MM*GL/1K, AA, BnVy PlatL, HH Silver,
Originally Posted by Canuck2012

If first time in Bangkok, the Orchid is the way to go - riverfront location cannot be beat. Sure, the pool area is nicer at the SGS, but there's nothing to look at other than raised highways, towering concrete buildings, and endless traffic jams. Relaxing on one of the outdoor couches, watching the sun go down over the river with a cold drink and appetizer is much more preferable to me. Taking the free ferry ride from the hotel is a great attraction in itself. The in house Thai restaurant (be sure to ask which days they have the dancers) and spa are also quite good and reasonably priced. Oh, and if smog bothers you, the Orchid is better in that respect as well.
I'm with you on your points. We always chose ROS. We can't get enough of the river dining/bar options ( yes we do get out ) the garden pool is very relaxing by the river and you do feel like in a tropical oasis in the city and agree on clean air comment. River taxis get you to most major site plus some minor walking. While Bangkok is a sprawl, the main places you are likely to want to go aren't that far and in the evening cabs from ROS to most places are pretty cheap...better to get a cab around the corner from the hotel vs one waiting right in front...you'll get the local rate. We like the river city center too for tailor, browsing the antiques/art and checking out whatever show they have going on when we are there.

Obviously lots of personal preference come into play, but ROS has hit all our needs from heavy running around town to chilling out between flights.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:04 pm

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Originally Posted by Stoontje
Why?
I'm currently touring the Bangkok properties. LM Surawong is a fantastic property. Great plat recognition, hard product, spread of breakfast, quite good service and decent pool area.

However... Surawong/Silom/Patpong can be a bit too in your face for most people. If this property were on Sukhumvit it'd be my favourite so far.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:07 pm

WGS or 4P

Undecided between wgs and 4p. Thoughts? I will miss 2 properties and am undecided between those two and am thinking of redeeming a free night at ROS instead of PA.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:12 pm

Plats seem to love the WGS. I'm Gold, so I prefer the 4Points.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by remymartin
Undecided between wgs and 4p. Thoughts? I will miss 2 properties and am undecided between those two and am thinking of redeeming a free night at ROS instead of PA.
As SPG PLT, you'll do much better at WGS IMO.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
As SPG PLT, you'll do much better at WGS IMO.
Because the lounge or upgrades? As a cigar smoker the 4p terrace suite looks really nice but reports are upgrades too these are rare at best, correct?
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
I'm partial to the 4P just because it is usually a fraction of the cost of the WGS (I'm frugal!), platinums get the free breakfast buffet which has many options, and if you can manage to get an upgrade (I recently got a terrace suite) they are quite nice.

I did stay once many years ago at the WGS, but it didn't really stand out in my mind for any reason, but then again, I was only gold at the time...
Old Jan 22, 2013, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Seanthepilot, I thought that I read somewhere that the Saphan Taksin station was going to close for a year for reconstruction or something like that. Do you have any info?
Last I heard it was closing permanently and a walkway built to Surasak Station. In the original plans Saphan Taksin was a temporary station pending the continued build of the track system west. At the moment the one track station is causing a bottleneck and it's been decided something must be done.

I haven't heard any info in some time, nor have I been down to Bang Rak recently to have a look at what's going on.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 4:50 am
Suspended

Programs: TG Plat , AF Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by remymartin
I'm currently touring the Bangkok properties. LM Surawong is a fantastic property. Great plat recognition, hard product, spread of breakfast, quite good service and decent pool area.

However... Surawong/Silom/Patpong can be a bit too in your face for most people. If this property were on Sukhumvit it'd be my favourite so far.
True, but lower Sukhumvit where the SGS and WGS are located are also right in another hooker's alley .
Old Jan 22, 2013, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by pansted00
True, but lower Sukhumvit where the SGS and WGS are located are also right in another hooker's alley .
Sure, but the SGS walkway is incredibly nice if you want to avoid all that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.