Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 20, 2014, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
For a discussion around all the Marriott Bonvoy hotels visit the Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Bangkok, Thailand thread.

From LIH Prem's signature.

SPG and Marriott BKK property map
Print Wikipost

Bangkok: Which SPG hotel should I choose? [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2011, 9:32 pm

Thanks everyone for your help and guidance - we have decided to stay at the SGS (4 nights) and ROS (3 nights) for our trip. We have a late arrival from the US and then an early departure (8 a.m.) to Phuket - should we look to stay at these hotels in any order? Or will both have the same relative ease to the airport? We will likely take the AOT transport from the airport when we first arrive.

Also, will it be difficult to get from one to the other? We will likely be making the move between hotels on a Saturday or Sunday, depending on where we start. Is there a certain time of day we should try for a taxi? If it will save a lot of time we are happy to use public transit.
Old May 30, 2011, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I recommend using a hotel car on arrival regardless of which property you choose for the first stay. You may be tired, and your arrival at the hotel will be better coordinated if you're in one of their own cars. SGS just got a new fleet of MBs, written about somewhere else here on FT. Tried one a couple of weeks ago, very comfy and professional service. Just give your arrival details to the hotel and request hotel car pickup, they'll deal with it.

I find public transport to/from ROS to be a pain. On the weekend a taxi should do just fine.
Old May 31, 2011, 5:13 am

Programs: TG P / SPG (woftam) G / Priority Club P
Be wary taking taxis outside the ROS BKK. The drivers who wait seem to have an arrangement with the door staff.

I have regularly been quoted double normal fares by "Taxi meters" at the hotel. Take a cab that's dropping someone off and not part of the door cartel and you'll save $$ plus have less chance of unwelcome solicitations to visit tailor shops, brothels and jewellery shops.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:12 pm

Thanks everyone for their insight and feedback about hotels in Bangkok. We ended up staying at the 4 Pts (1 night), SGS (3 nights), and ROS (3 nights). We opted for the 4P the first night in a bid to save money.

We liked all 3 hotels but we'd definitely rank the SGS at the top - I am not sure what SOP is there for golds, but we were given a "butler service" room (certainly something for which I would not have paid) and getting 3 items cleaned gratis was definitely appreciated (I travel with a 3-year-old). My kids loved getting free hot chocolate brought up to the room each day, and loved watching the trains pull in and out of Asok station out the window. The staff were really warm and welcoming and (seems to be pretty common in Thailand) bent over backward for my children. The only negative, so to speak, is the pool - it's definitely designed for adults (had we been without the kids we would have had no issues with it).

The 4P is nice for golds, as we were offered an amenity choice (points, breakfast, internet, something else I can't remember). We arrived after midnight and the staff had (enormous) lollipops waiting for my kids. The room was great. The only flaw was that one of the walls of the bathroom was made of these movable screens (presumably so one can sit in the tub and watch television) - this is probably not an issue for most people but my horrible children loved to slide open the doors when one of their parents was using the bathroom.

The ROS we also liked, though it definitely suffered in comparison to the SGS. My kids liked it better because the pool is a little more kid-like and the view from the hotel is of boats. But we didn't get the warm fuzzies from the staff - as a matter of fact, at check in the guy said something to the effect of, "I cannot give you your gold amenities until you show me your card." I don't typically travel with it, but luckily we had it in a side pocket of a suitcase. I'm not sure what gold amenities we got - the room was nice enough but not particularly large, not on a corner, etc.

All in all, if we went back we'd probably stay at the SGS again. We were happy with all 3 and would recommend them. I'd like to thank everyone again for their help as we planned our trip - we traveled for a long time and the insight I got at FT went a long way toward getting us a better experience.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 11:06 pm
b8b

Programs: DL Plat; HH Diamond; SPG & Hyatt Plat
Excellent thread, great info. Thanks to all for their contributions.

I'm bringing my wife and two sons (11 & 13) to BKK in June of 2012. Three full days (we arrive early and leave late) and two nights. I'm only SPG Gold but am Hilton Diamond.

I have enough SPG for booking on points, but would probably need to pay some extra points to make sure we get lounge access. I can xfer MR to HH to book on points, but I saw the Conrad for around $200, so it may not make sense to use points when rates are that low

Following are our priorities, if we could get your feedback and advice on the following criteria:
  1. Good lounge/breakfast food offering (I loved the breakfast at the SGS)
  2. Good location to easily see tourist sites
  3. best bang ofr the buck either for purchase or points

TIA
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:46 am

My wife and I are spending 3 nights over new years in Bangkok. We are pondering the following three options:
- 4 points terrace suite for 5130 a night
- SGS grand deluxe room + breakfast for 5000 a night
- PA royal club room + breakfast for 5700 a night

They are all about the same in price except that 4 points does not include breakfast. This isn't a big deal for us and we're not expecting free breakfast since I am gold.

What do you guys think? Also, will I be forced to attend a new years gala at any of these hotels? I couldn't find mention of this on their websites even under "special conditions".
Old Oct 2, 2011, 11:35 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
HyperDude, your above options are all good, but the SGS' grand deluxe room (and benefits) for THB 5K wins hands down. Breakfast is important while traveling in Thailand and the spread is substantial at the SGS.

Grande Deluxe: Buffet Breakfast, Evening Cocktails at any venue, Butler Service, Free High-speed Internet
Old Oct 2, 2011, 1:04 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by b8b
Excellent thread, great info. Thanks to all for their contributions.

I'm bringing my wife and two sons (11 & 13) to BKK in June of 2012. Three full days (we arrive early and leave late) and two nights. I'm only SPG Gold but am Hilton Diamond.

I have enough SPG for booking on points, but would probably need to pay some extra points to make sure we get lounge access. I can xfer MR to HH to book on points, but I saw the Conrad for around $200, so it may not make sense to use points when rates are that low

Following are our priorities, if we could get your feedback and advice on the following criteria:
  1. Good lounge/breakfast food offering (I loved the breakfast at the SGS)
  2. Good location to easily see tourist sites
  3. best bang ofr the buck either for purchase or points

TIA
I don think the Conrad will allow your kids in the lounge, but check the age limit to be sure. The SGS has no lounge but a great breakfast. The WGS has a lounge and will welcome the kids, but the lounge breakfast is only sufficient, not extravagant. I would look into the Plaza Athenee which is part of Le Meridien. Also, take a look at the BKK part of m Thailand trip report in my signature. Location-wise it is relevant for all the properties you are talking about. Thailand is cheap so you you are considering two rooms, do one on points or cash and points and the other with cash to maximize your earning. If yo are goin for status then you could go all cash and points or straight points since SPG now recognizes award stays as counting towards status.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 8:16 pm

Thanks Kalboz for your feedback.

Could someone advise if I will have to participate new years gala at these properties? I don't feel like putting on a suit... not to mention having to pay the crazy charges
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HyperDude

Could someone advise if I will have to participate new years gala at these properties? I don't feel like putting on a suit... not to mention having to pay the crazy charges
I doubt at any of the properties you will be required to participate in the New Years Gala if you don't want to (that is usually more related to Resort properties)- however you could always blast off a quick email to be sure- maybe this would be the case at the riverfront hotels but I really doubt the others or at least I have never seen it.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 8:46 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by plansfornigel
Be wary taking taxis outside the ROS BKK. The drivers who wait seem to have an arrangement with the door staff.

I have regularly been quoted double normal fares by "Taxi meters" at the hotel. Take a cab that's dropping someone off and not part of the door cartel and you'll save $$ plus have less chance of unwelcome solicitations to visit tailor shops, brothels and jewellery shops.
Just took a taxi from the ROS to airport last thursday at about 2:30pm. Cost about 300 bth. Took about 40 minutes.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 10:04 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Originally Posted by HyperDude

In Bangkok all New Years Festivities are usually optional. IMHO the place to stay for New Years Eve is the ROS on the River..Lots of fireworks etc. in that area. for 3 Nights on 31 Dec they still have Cat3 Cash and Points rate^
Old Oct 3, 2011, 4:52 pm

1 Day in Bangkok - day rate avail? Early check-in?

Arriving early on a Sunday morning at BKK (6 am) - departing same day in TG J at 22:00.

I'm planning on leaving the airport and run around town trying to see the tourist sites and eat!

I was thinking it might be good to get a day rate (or possibly book the Sunday date and check in really really early!) at an SPG hotel - is there a hotel fairly centrally located / good for tourist sites that could serve as a base in case I want to rest a bit? It would do double duty as carry-on storage as well (a little more secure than left luggage?)

ROS and SGS sound like the 2 favourites here in general - but what about for a day stay? Easy access to link to BKK?

I'm not worried about a Plat upgrade as such - it's just to have a place to crash if needed.

Thanks!

-edit: after a bit more research it looks like SGS is pretty accessible with the metro to run around town so I'm leaning that way - would still appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited by onebagtraveller; Oct 3, 2011 at 7:19 pm Reason: researched a bit more
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
the SGS is near one of the Skytrain stops, however the ROS isn't as it's on the river

Originally Posted by onebagtraveller
ROS and SGS sound like the 2 favourites here in general - but what about for a day stay? Easy access to link to BKK?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 7:21 pm

lol - I just came to that conclusion too !

Thanks BKKLEE!

Do you know if they have day rates or if they would be okay with an early arrival (land at BKK 6 am - be there by 8 am? - no checked luggage -just carry on)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.