Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W Chicago Lakeshore 2007, Chicago, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23, 2011, 1:34 pm

parking…

hi wondering how long you parked for $12? just the morning? i.e. 8-12? all the parking i can find on Chicago Best Parking lists prices was from about $56… for 2 days.

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Recent stay here.

Adjacent to the W (which charges $54 for parking) is a parking garage that charged me $12. The next day, I paid $6 in the morning and $.50 in the afternoon for street parking.

Great location. Surprisingly friendly staff (compared with low expectation).

I took advantage of the Acura drop-off service to grab a bite at Ben Pao.

I asked for a coffeemaker to be brought up to the room, and one was brought up no-whining no-charge. There was no coffee on the tray (only tea and sugar/creamer), so I called back, and coffee showed up at my door within minutes.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:32 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Stayed here on the weekend. W-hatever. Get it? W. ..hever.

Bellhops were super friendly and helpful. Never seemed like they were seeking tips. Checkin people were aloof and weird. Not very friendly or approachable. Girl had no idea why every single SPG hotel in Chicago is sold out for Fri-Sunday nights.. "guess it's a busy weekend?". Bellhops pointed out there was some cop convention and a huge ND v. USC football match a bit outta town. Booked Wonderful room, no upgrade despite website indicating higher room types.

The room was a bit of a disappointment. Nice little couch thing and great bed despite the weird nylon cover. Dust on the walls, however. One of the blind pulleys was also broken off, hindering the shade from raising or lowering. Eventually got fixed. Shower is ridiculous, I'm 6'1" and I couldn't fit under the shower head either. It didn't really run the way it was intended to, either, it was just a stream of water fluttering down, not a properly maintained rainfall head.

Asked for a wake up call at 9pm.... it never came. When I woke up at midnight and pointed this out (in a surprisingly polite way) to the lady on the phone, the reply was "ok...would you like me to schedule you another wake up call?". I also pointed this out at the front desk the following am when also asking them to remove the internet charge, and she seemed indifferent as well.

Nice gym and pool, however. Very nice gym. The pool had amazing over sized W towels....why the hell these are at the pool and not in my room confuses me.

While not a horrible hotel compared to, say, a Westin or Holiday Inn, for the price I paid, I'm disappointed. It is the worst W in the system I have stayed at, and this including the W Times Square. I know...harsh.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:33 pm
cur

Originally Posted by dnotes
hi wondering how long you parked for $12? just the morning? i.e. 8-12? all the parking i can find on Chicago Best Parking lists prices was from about $56… for 2 days.
I remember seeing a lot beside the hotel, or maybe a block north that had an early bird special: in before 7am, out by 9pm for $12 or $20....

There are cheap places...do not worry.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:30 am

My experience was completely different, we stayed there sometime this summer.

Ppl were actually nice. Kudos abt not expecting tips, which was exactly how it felt for me as well, from bellhops.

The valet service however felt like hawks watching over prey caught helplessly in their talons.

booked a marvelous room lake front view, upgraded to marvelous suite. Nice. Also made it out alive with a bottle of the w room scent.

Perhaps, it's about managing expectations and informing the GM of your expectations when staying there prior to your arrival. After all, it's a "high end" hotel and I wouldn't expect anything less?

Originally Posted by cur
Stayed here on the weekend. W-hatever. Get it? W. ..hever.

Bellhops were super friendly and helpful. Never seemed like they were seeking tips. Checkin people were aloof and weird. Not very friendly or approachable. Girl had no idea why every single SPG hotel in Chicago is sold out for Fri-Sunday nights.. "guess it's a busy weekend?". Bellhops pointed out there was some cop convention and a huge ND v. USC football match a bit outta town. Booked Wonderful room, no upgrade despite website indicating higher room types.

The room was a bit of a disappointment. Nice little couch thing and great bed despite the weird nylon cover. Dust on the walls, however. One of the blind pulleys was also broken off, hindering the shade from raising or lowering. Eventually got fixed. Shower is ridiculous, I'm 6'1" and I couldn't fit under the shower head either. It didn't really run the way it was intended to, either, it was just a stream of water fluttering down, not a properly maintained rainfall head.

Asked for a wake up call at 9pm.... it never came. When I woke up at midnight and pointed this out (in a surprisingly polite way) to the lady on the phone, the reply was "ok...would you like me to schedule you another wake up call?". I also pointed this out at the front desk the following am when also asking them to remove the internet charge, and she seemed indifferent as well.

Nice gym and pool, however. Very nice gym. The pool had amazing over sized W towels....why the hell these are at the pool and not in my room confuses me.

While not a horrible hotel compared to, say, a Westin or Holiday Inn, for the price I paid, I'm disappointed. It is the worst W in the system I have stayed at, and this including the W Times Square. I know...harsh.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:32 am

I parked one st, north and they cost abt 30% less than the valet, only thing was we had so much luggage that we decided it was easier to let them park it the first night.

Originally Posted by cur
I remember seeing a lot beside the hotel, or maybe a block north that had an early bird special: in before 7am, out by 9pm for $12 or $20....

There are cheap places...do not worry.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:21 am
cur

Perhaps, it's about managing expectations and informing the GM of your expectations when staying there prior to your arrival. After all, it's a "high end" hotel and I wouldn't expect anything less?
My expectations are met or exceeded without asking at 99% of SPG properties (yes, including 4 points) that I stay at worldwide. I don't like asking for things.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by cur
My expectations are met or exceeded without asking at 99% of SPG properties (yes, including 4 points) that I stay at worldwide. I don't like asking for things.
You paid for the W experience and expectations were in line as such. You mentioned it to their staff but no traction. So back to FT forums, but no email to the GM?
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cur
For a missed wake up call, I would expect a lot more than a waived internet charge. Wake up calls, in my opinion, are fairly important.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:55 am

i'd agree on the missed wakeup call issue. esp if i missed a flight because of that.

Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
For a missed wake up call, I would expect a lot more than a waived internet charge. Wake up calls, in my opinion, are fairly important.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 5:33 pm
cur

i am a plat but i am charged for internet all the time, so i get this resolved upon learning about it through the bill. i didn't ask for anything, i left it for the agent to resolve, and she didn't seem very concerned about it.

You paid for the W experience and expectations were in line as such. You mentioned it to their staff but no traction. So back to FT forums, but no email to the GM?
i am extremely busy and i will send an email this week to corporate, primarily because of the upgrade that i didn't get and the opportunity for recovery i already gave this hotel twice.

i'd agree on the missed wakeup call issue. esp if i missed a flight because of that.
yep. but in all fairness, if it was important enough, redundancy is best: set a cell phone alarm, clock alarm, and wakeup call. that way if one fails....
Old Oct 26, 2011, 3:36 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
I think a 9 pm wake-up call is an easily misunderstood request unless you stress "I want it at 9 PM, NOT tomorrow morning, but (3,4, whatever) hours from now". I know you'll say "shouldn't have to do that" but human nature expects that most wake-up calls are for the morning.

I bet you anything that phone rang at 9 am.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 9:02 am
cur

Originally Posted by Eujeanie
I think a 9 pm wake-up call is an easily misunderstood request unless you stress "I want it at 9 PM, NOT tomorrow morning, but (3,4, whatever) hours from now". I know you'll say "shouldn't have to do that" but human nature expects that most wake-up calls are for the morning.

I bet you anything that phone rang at 9 am.
it didn't. i asked for a wakeup call "90 minutes from now please". she said "oh so 9pm?" and i was like "yeah that sounds good". and then at midnight i was like WHISKY TANGO FOXTROT!!
Old Oct 27, 2011, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Then that's totally unacceptable.

We've had the night/morning mix-up ourselves that's why I considered it a possibility.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 4:43 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
An earlier post mentioned renovations would be starting in November. Has anyone noticed them?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:19 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Platinum, SPG Platinum, IHG Platinum Ambassador
Nice place, but needs an overhaul.

While I can't complain about the upgrade I have gotten both times I've stayed here to a spacious corner suite with a stunning Lake Michigan and Navy Pier view, the rooms are not in great shape. The suite I am in now has a caved-in couch that is impossible to sit in, a TV in the living room that won't turn on for more than a second, and a powder room toilet that won't flush. The living room B&O stereo only plays radio and CDs (they should provide a time machine so I can go back to 1997 and get my discs), and the Tivoli radio in the bedroom with an iPod connector has a seriously blown speaker. The blinds don't go up and down properly, and the sliding doors wobble like they are going to fall off. Somehow, I still like this place and will come back, but I imagine I would be a lot less forgiving if I was actually paying full-price for this busted suite or if I had a normal size room in similar condition.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.