Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Great Wall Sheraton, Beijing, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skywalkerLAX
** Hotel will leave the Starwood / Marriott chain on June 30th 2017 as per information by the General Manager (June 11th 2017) **

SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

Great Wall Sheraton, Beijing, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2014, 9:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by zyxlsy
Yeh, I know, I've been hearing stories about that place while in PKU. But when the guards thing happened, the place was already closed down.

My understanding was that maybe it was a hot spot for reporters to dig things up, so there were guards there. But having a restricted area in the hotel can be uneasy for first time guests, right?
Many a GM at the GW Sheraton laments the very existence of Passions --which is, again, not *in* the hotel-- for the reasons you state, but there isn't really much they can do about it as long as both remain in business.

But, I honestly think this is a "much ado about nothing" topic. Lots of hotels in China are similarly situated, and life goes on. In Beijing alone, the Park Hyatt, Kunlun, and Lido all come to mind off the top of my head.

Personally, I couldn't fathom the idea of staying at the Landmark over the GW as long as they are close to the same price because the GW --in spite of its faults-- is a MUCH better hotel (as are the Kempinski, Marriott NE, 4 Seasons, Kunlun, and arguably the Zhaolong).
Old Nov 12, 2014, 2:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Qantas Platinum, United S
Originally Posted by moondog
Personally, I couldn't fathom the idea of staying at the Landmark over the GW as long as they are close to the same price because the GW --in spite of its faults-- is a MUCH better hotel (as are the Kempinski, Marriott NE, 4 Seasons, Kunlun, and arguably the Zhaolong).
Sorry, I mainly roam in the Financial District near 西二环, so I forgot there is a Marriott nearby. The Marriott is pretty new, and it's not very expensive compared with Four Seasons and Kempinski in the same region, but it is as good as Sheraton Dongcheng because they are so new, and so having the new Sheraton and Marriott standard (the cookie cutter style room features and furnitures that some people like but some people hate...)
Old Mar 31, 2015, 9:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Not bad at all, for a c.1990s 5* hotel

I was apprehensive about booking the Great Wall Sheraton, but decided on this short trip to give it a try. I'm glad I did! For the price (about 50% of what the other SPGs are charging, if not more), it is a very decent option!

Sure, the decor is dated (15-20 years I'd say), but you can tell that at one point, this was a top of the line property in China. It has that feel of old school elegance, that's been allowed to stagnate. And of course, like most places in China, that communist je ne sais quois (or maybe it's just the perpetual gray skies in Beijing).

It is also very convenient to CBD and the airport (2 stops on the #1 airport bus line, ~30 minutes if your timing is good, or 1-1.5 hours otherwise and 18 RMB... the bus stops are downstairs and out front, follow signs for "Local bus", and you're taking the line ending at Fang Zhuang. Buy tickets at the booth outside in the middle). The bus drops you across the highway from the Sheraton (almost directly across, it's the building with vines growing all over), you can use the pedestrian overpass to go across). As mentioned, Liangmaqiao subway is just a few minutes walk away.

Breakfast was quite good, there were enough western and Chinese options, although they seemed understaffed (hard to get water or coffee sometimes, and it's strange there's no water out and you have to ask for it).

It looks like they are making renovations to the pool area as well, so maybe that will be improved, but I don't know why you'd want to be outside too long in Beijing, pool or no pool.

Otherwise, service was good. Requested complimentary shoe shine and the shoes were back in 10 minutes. While my room was strangely shaped, and the furniture very old (including the aforementioned CRT TV), the bed and linens were good (though firm). There's also a great view of the Westin Chaoyang from the 17th floor lounge (open while the club is under renovation).

One more note: A/C is controlled centrally so your only way to adjust the temperature is to open the window.

All in all, while this property won't impress any lady/boy friends, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again due to location and value if solo or on business (or if my wife valued those things more than "wow factor" )

Last edited by transparent; Apr 1, 2015 at 3:46 pm
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Staying here currently for the same reason. Rate was only marginally more than Aloft and much closer to airport and city attractions. My third time here, each time upgraded to a junior suite. The club room has been under renovation since my first visit several years ago. Snacks are good, didn't bother having dinner last night.

I picked up a spring break package that includes breakfast. The breakfast is reasonable. The water is in one of the dispensers with the juices.

My room is actually pretty good except for the TV. The executive floor and the ground floors are also well presented. If they just put in new carpet and updated the wallpaper in the corridors elsewhere it would make a big difference to the ambiance as they are very tired. Internet has much improved since my last visit.

Overall I find it good value and well located where Im stopping over or having a short visit. If arriving by taxi ensure to have a printout in Chinese.

Last edited by geminidreams; Apr 1, 2015 at 1:04 am
Old Jun 4, 2015, 5:32 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Stayed here for 3 nights due to the unbeatable rate. Was upgraded to a suite which as many know are dated. It seems the place to be is on the 17th and 18th floors where there have been renovations. The lounge on the 17th floor had a good selection of food so no complaints there....albeit on the small side but never that crowded. Location I found seems to be in the middle of nowhere so cabs or subway is a must. Word of the wise is to have the location written in Chinese as my taxi driver had no clue of where to go as he couldn't read the English version.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Middle of nowhere? I couldn't disagree more.

And, I dare say that 90% of the cab fleet knows it if you can get the Chinese name (for great wall hotel) even remotely right.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Had another brief stay here (5 hours) due to a very late arrival last night. UG to a 'Standard suite: King Bed, Non-smoking, 484 sq ft / 45 m²' with one of their hyper modern TV's.

Nevertheless I slept well, the room was spacious and well up kept. I'm under the impression the lounge also underwent some design changes (positive). Overall it's not as dated anymore as it used to be.

The location is hard to beat obviously.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:48 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Had another brief stay here (5 hours) due to a very late arrival last night. UG to a 'Standard suite: King Bed, Non-smoking, 484 sq ft / 45 m²' with one of their hyper modern TV's.

Nevertheless I slept well, the room was spacious and well up kept. I'm under the impression the lounge also underwent some design changes (positive). Overall it's not as dated anymore as it used to be.

The location is hard to beat obviously.
Nice, they finally did some renovation and got ride of the old TVs? Hope to see some pictures surface from this property.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Nice, they finally did some renovation and got ride of the old TVs? Hope to see some pictures surface from this property.
That was rather ironic. The TV's are still in place and going strong. Can't see them being replaced anytime soon.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
That was rather ironic. The TV's are still in place and going strong. Can't see them being replaced anytime soon.
lol okay, thanks for the update.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Anyone recent reviews or pictures of 'renovated' rooms? Never seen flat-screen before, so must be amusing.
Old Aug 27, 2015, 9:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Originally Posted by miloworld
Anyone recent reviews or pictures of 'renovated' rooms? Never seen flat-screen before, so must be amusing.
No photos, but I did ask to be given a tour of a renovated room. They are indeed nicer. Brighter decor, newer furniture, the classic Sheraton bed.

Not sure it's worth double the price though, if you're not able to secure an upgrade to it (was quoted ~1000rmb/night). For the same price I can stay at the Westin Chaoyang, St. Regis, or brand new Sheraton Dongcheng, etc when booking in advance.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:49 am

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Am currently here on SPG floor (13th).

Got high tech CRT TV and a room that's almost a museum. Well maintained but in desperate need of a refresh. Still, it's better than many of the stateside Sheratons. Staff was helpful and most speak some english.

The lobby, OTOH IS a museum. Reminds me of my first visit here.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:03 pm

Stayed at the Sheraton Great Wall beginning of November - the start of our 47 day tour of Asia. I'm a retired frequent flyer and $$ and points matter to me at this point in time. My wife and I found this hotel adequate to meet our needs - sure it's a little outdated, but we didn't go to Beijing to sit in our hotel room. We found service good, location fine, taxis were easy to come by. The only thing I would have to make a negative comment about is the terrible food in the hotel bar. We arrived in the evening and after a long flight just wanted something quick to eat. The food was not only terrible, it was very expensive for Beijing and for what we received. Other than that, I have no problems with this hotel.
Old Jan 7, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: CX DM, SPG Pt, Le Club Accor GO, Shangri-La GC Jade
Didn't visit it since 2013 summer... At that time every night the lobby must be fully packed because there was no wifi on room floors...

Has this been improved?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.