Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Great Wall Sheraton, Beijing, China [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2014, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: skywalkerLAX
** Hotel will leave the Starwood / Marriott chain on June 30th 2017 as per information by the General Manager (June 11th 2017) **

SPG INSTANT AWARDS
Print Wikipost

Great Wall Sheraton, Beijing, China [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2014, 7:58 am

Programs: ??????????
Originally Posted by clublounger
It sounds like you had breakfast in the restaurant, rather than the lounge?

I've only had it in the lounge, not knowing that I had a choice. There's a choice?

thanks
Correct, in the restaurant. Honestly, when I asked about having breakfast I didn't ask about lounge/restaurant ... the gentleman checking me in simply directed me to the restaurant.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:44 am

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG PLT
Yes, you have a choice but usually they never tell you. I think the selection in the restaurant is much better.
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:56 am

So this hotel is sticking around? I am looking to book 2 nights in Oct; other hotels 'look' nicer; but at 4k points it is a steal, and if you can exchange lounge breakfast for restaurant breakfast that really is good!

We will be transiting so just looking for a good hotel for breakfast, hors-d'oeuvres after our city tours!
Old Feb 23, 2014, 8:26 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
I've read somewhere that this is the first hotel that SPG opened in China.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, SPG PLT
Personally, I rather stay at the sheraton Dongcheng or Westin Chaoyang, much nicer properties. The only thing that's great about the Great Wall Sheraton is maybe the price (imo).
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
I've read somewhere that this is the first hotel that SPG opened in China.
Yep. It opened as The Great Wall Hotel in 1984, Sheraton took it over a year later in 1985.

http://www.at0086.com/at_News%5C279%...988248401.html
The Great Wall Sheraton Hotel Beijing is the first international 5-star Hotel in China. Hotel soft opening took place on December 10th, 1983 and the grand opening was celebrated on June 20th, 1984. A management contract was signed with ITT Sheraton Corporation on March 18th, 1985.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:24 am

Wow, I wonder when was the last renovation.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Wow, I wonder when was the last renovation.
They jazzed up the place quite a bit in 2008 but there really isn't much they can do to make the structure itself nice. I've heard that it won't be around much longer.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:34 am

Originally Posted by moondog
They jazzed up the place quite a bit in 2008 but there really isn't much they can do to make the structure itself nice. I've heard that it won't be around much longer.
I see, that's kind of sad. Maybe I should stay there if I go Beijing again.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 6:41 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Checked in to The Great Wall Sheraton today. Confirmed at check-in that it's okay to have breakfast in the restaurant instead of in the Club Lounge.

This evening I called down to ask about wifi in the room. I had no signal, so I thought I must just be in a room too far from a signal. I was told that only the Executive Floor has wifi, otherwise it's wired. I was told that I can upgrade. When I asked "how much?" I was transferred to the Executive Lounge personnel. I was told that the upgrade would be 600 RMB, which is $100. Silly. I have privileges at the Executive Lounge already. $100 for wifi and perhaps some upgraded toiletries, if even that?

What's particularly frustrating is that as a Platinum 100/AMB I was not given a room on the Executive floor to begin with. I wasn't even given a suite on ANY floor. As a matter-of-fact, I'm in a CONNECTING room! On the Club Floor. It CONNECTS to a suite. The smallest room, according to the floor plan on the back of the door.

I've been here before. I know the shortcomings of the physical property. It's NOT the Westin up the road. It's less expensive than comparably located Starwood properties in Beijing. But, I expect to be treated fairly. I don't feel I have been.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Wired internet is fairly common in Chinese hotels. But I have a travel router to address this problem. Cost less than $20.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wired internet is fairly common in Chinese hotels. But I have a travel router to address this problem. Cost less than $20.
I agree and I don't like using wireless anyway in China as there are often it seems a number of sniffer programs and receptors around- I always use a VPN in PRC however I am not sure that is even strong enough? Wired is one less thing to worry about.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
The "wired" is not really a problem. I have a Macbook Pro that easily acts as a hotspot for my other devices when it is connected to broadband.

It's what I learned through my enquiry that shows the service shortcomings of the property.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:51 pm

Programs: United 1K, SPG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
i have been going to beijing on regular base for the last 4 years. used to stay at great wall, but DongCheng is definitely a much better choice. if you are plat, you will definitely get upgraded to the suite.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 8:10 pm

Do you know the price of breakfast in the restaurant? I'm a gold right now and probably will not get upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.