Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of June 2023, evening service is in the 2nd floor Lobby Lounge, and breakfast is served in The Cafe - main hotel restaurant - for all Plat+ Elite guests.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Question Better upgrade chances

Traveling to HKG for 11 nights in July and staying at The Sheraton. Any insight on to whether a suite upgrade is more likely on the regular or Towers part of the hotel? I am relatively indifferent to staying in the Towers as I am a Plat and will get breakfast and evening lounge access is not too important.

Many thanks
Old Jun 25, 2013, 1:41 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
Can't answer on the suite issue.By all accounts though ( because I am not a Plat and haven't accessed the lounge) the upper floor lounge and breakfast in the Towers is superior.. We did stay in the towers and didn't regret the decision one iota.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 9:19 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Quick answer is that the are a lot more suites in the main hotel than in the towers.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by abk
Quick answer is that the are a lot more suites in the main hotel than in the towers.
Correct. IIRC there are only 4 suites on the towers level.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 8:18 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
That's not correct. I believe that after the last remodel there are actually more suites per floor on the towers level than on the the regular floors. I know that in the back hall facing away from the harbour there are at least 4 suites per floor and there is at least one on the hall going back that. They also have a number of harbour view suites- I had one last week.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 6:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
HKG to Sheraton?

Could use input from the experts on this very topic.

Have short trip (23 hour layover) to HK coming up in a few weeks and trying to maximize usable time there. Landing around 7pm; hope to be out of airport no later than 8pm to meet friends at Sheraton HK.

At that time of day (~8pm on a Friday), would you recommend
  • AE + taxi to hotel or
  • Taxi direct from HKG to hotel?

Given short trip, minimizing total commute time is more important than total fare.

Tried posting in HK forum with no luck and trip quickly approaching..

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mohan12

Have short trip (23 hour layover) to HK coming up in a few weeks and trying to maximize usable time there. Landing around 7pm; hope to be out of airport no later than 8pm to meet friends at Sheraton HK.

• AE + taxi to hotel or

Given short trip, minimizing total commute time is more important than total fare.

Thanks in advance!
I did this yesterday (OK Pen next door but same area).
Marginally faster by Airport Express + Taxi. You will save around 15 minutes.
Also more predictable as the only traffic is from AE to the Sheraton which is ~2 km.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by mohan12

• AE + taxi to hotel or

Thanks in advance!

Assuming no taxi queue, the taxi to the hotel should be faster than the combined wait for AE, AE ride and then taxi from AE to hotel.

Figure, 6 mins to walk to the AE station (including time to purchase your AE ticket (unless you are using an Octopus Card)), 6-12 minute wait for the AE train (runs ~ every 12 mins), 19 minutes for the AE train ride, another 3 mins to walk to the taxi stand at Kowloon Station, plus another 12 minutes for the taxi ride = 46-52 minutes.

A taxi from the airport to the Sheraton should beat those travel times.

To maximize time with friends, why not meet them at the airport and ride back together in the taxi?
Old Jul 22, 2013, 9:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Globehopper
Assuming no taxi queue, the taxi to the hotel should be faster than the combined wait for AE, AE ride and then taxi from AE to hotel.

Figure, 6 mins to walk to the AE station (including time to purchase your AE ticket (unless you are using an Octopus Card)), 6-12 minute wait for the AE train (runs ~ every 12 mins), 19 minutes for the AE train ride, another 3 mins to walk to the taxi stand at Kowloon Station, plus another 12 minutes for the taxi ride = 46-52 minutes.

A taxi from the airport to the Sheraton should beat those travel times.

To maximize time with friends, why not meet them at the airport and ride back together in the taxi?
Yesterday I had timing more or less as follows:
Walk to AE station (including time to purchase ticket) 5 minutes
Wait for train (I was really lucky) less than 3 minutes
17 minutes AE ride to Kowloon
5 minutes queue for taxi (including walking time to taxi)
10 minutes for taxi to PEN

So:40 minutes. Difficult to get to this area of Kowloon in 40 minutes if there is traffic.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 11:51 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA 1K
Thanks as always, folks.

My last question is-

Based on your experiences traveling from HKG to Kowloon station/Sheraton area, is Friday evening (~8pm) **generally** a high road-traffic time where cars/taxis into the city should be avoided if possible? (i.e. NYC -Lincoln Tunnel-, LA -all highways-, etc. in the US)

I'm all for the AE (big fan) but I've also read that the ride time is nearly even and provides great views (something I don't usually pay attention to but this is a rare non-work trip and I've never commuted on a Friday evening from HKG into the city)

Thanks again. Really appreciated.

Originally Posted by TRAVELSIG
Yesterday I had timing more or less as follows:
Walk to AE station (including time to purchase ticket) 5 minutes
Wait for train (I was really lucky) less than 3 minutes
17 minutes AE ride to Kowloon
5 minutes queue for taxi (including walking time to taxi)
10 minutes for taxi to PEN

So:40 minutes. Difficult to get to this area of Kowloon in 40 minutes if there is traffic.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 3:27 am

Programs: TG Gold, MPC Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador
I'm not sure whether I am just unlucky but my consistant experience of getting a taxi from kowloon to the hotel at that time of night is a 20++ min queue. Really frustrating! Once in the taxi, the traffic isn't too bad but I live in Bangkok so pretty much everything is reasonable by comparison!
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newshound
I'm not sure whether I am just unlucky but my consistant experience of getting a taxi from kowloon to the hotel at that time of night is a 20++ min queue. Really frustrating! Once in the taxi, the traffic isn't too bad but I live in Bangkok so pretty much everything is reasonable by comparison!
I agree Friday night at 20:00 could be tough for a taxi at the Kowloon AE station- I might be tempted just to take a taxi from the airport at that point.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 2:49 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Whenever I'm confronted with a long line that moves slowly at Kowloon station, I head upstairs to the W and grab a cab there. Before I figured this out, I once waited for 45 minutes in a line of maybe three dozen people, with cabs pulling up every 2-3 minutes. The key variable is the pace of cabs arriving, not the length of the line. A line of 50 with cabs pulling up constantly into 4-6 bays is not a problem; a line of 20 with cabs showing up sporadically may signify a long wait. In that scenario, even the free shuttle bus can be a good option.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jpdx
In that scenario, even the free shuttle bus can be a good option.
In many scenarios the free shuttle bus can be a good option- just check the digital displays on the minutes until the bus arrives- if it is less than five and for instance heading to the Peninsula or Sheraton- the bus is quite fast to arrive as opposed to a taxi queue.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 1:02 am

Location: Near the pole, at the beach, top of mountains, underwater, golfing
Programs: AC E, FPC plat, TK E, VA G, HIlton diam, spg plat, CX gold, US air Plat, Hyatt Dia, A club Plat
this hotel used to be my choice when in HK.

however, the front desk always will conveniently forget to credit the spg points and stat to your account. so remember to keep those folio.

suites upgrades have to be fought and asked. used to be automatic.

talking to some business owner that used to put clients there, similar issues seemed to happens here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.