Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Leaving Jan 2023] The Danieli, Luxury Collection, Venice, Italy [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As a PLT on an award stay I was upgraded to the Royal Suite with two Juliet balconies overlooking the canal.
As you can expect for a room of that caliber it had no imperfections. It even had two bathrooms with only 1 bedroom

It is typical of other historic hotels in Europe. As others have said don't expect modern hi-tech conveniences but do expect wonderful antiques and great atmosphere.

There are some pics of the hotel in here

Last edited by Moomba; Jul 27, 2008 at 12:50 pm
Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:39 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by GaryScott
Take a look at www.tripadvisor.com or yahootravel. 9 out of 10 reviews are negative. .
With no offense meant to my fellow Americans, but so many of us who travel primary within North America a great deal have very high expectations of a hotel room that costs $400-$600 night for a STANDARD ROOM. Even in Beverly Hills, one would expect a lavish room with a massive marble bathroom, walk in showers, perhaps a small wardrobe/luggage room and fawning service. Nevermind the expectation for plasma TVs, four phones in each room, etc.

None of those things are going to be found in the standard rooms at the Danieli. What the Danieli offers is a chance to stay in one of the world's truly legendary hotels in an incredible location. Its lobby is the things dreams are made of.

I suspect that many of those negative reviews come from folks who are expecting over the top elegance and Four Seasons service for their very expensive rooms here. That is not an accurate expectation. If one goes into the Danieli well informed and with expectations set at the right level, you can't help but enjoy it.

Relax and enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 2:44 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by Moomba
As a PLT on an award stay I was upgraded to the Royal Suite with two Juliet balconies overlooking the canal.

There are some pics of the hotel in here
Hey Moomba -- great photos! That's not the Royal Suite, however, that is the grandaddy of them all, the DOGE SUITE! That room is the most remarkable one on the property and is where Elizabeth Taylor, among many others, honeymooned (at least once)! Most European heads of state have stayed here over the decades and more than a few US Presidents.

The circle of chairs that you see in the center of the grand room there were recovered about 4 years ago. The hotel GM explained to me that the cost to recover them was simply astronomical. I asked him why. He pointed out that the threading detail was mostly accomplished with spun gold and that all of the gold accents in the fabric was simply that, GOLD!

This hotel doesn't use standard sheets, either. Each bed is covered with linen sheets (which will wrinkle if you whisper near them). I love linen sheets!
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:46 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Here's some more shots- of the hotel, rooms

and views from our window (including the crazy halloween acqua alta of 2004)

(and one of our favorite bartender on earth-- Claudio at Harry's Bar)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ourshot...7600007577228/

Last edited by damon88; Mar 18, 2007 at 5:04 pm
Old Mar 18, 2007, 4:56 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, AA, Marriott, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood Gold
We stayed at the Danieli in Sept 04 and upgraded to a junior suite on points, got a second floor canal view. It was great. Just watching out the window as the water taxis and vaporettos came and went was fun. The junior suite had a very nice sized sitting room, beautifully decorated and the bedroom was devine. Did not want to leave. My son who is in the hotel business tells me that many TripAdvisor postings are actually done by competing hotels. I feel I always get the straight scoop here at Flyertalk. Enjoy!
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:49 am

Programs: DL/PM, *Wood Platinum
Using wi-fi in the lobby of the Danieli even as I type...
I was very concerned about the hotel given the many negative reviews I've seen. I'm on a points stay and this place was a lot of points and this is our first trip to Venice so I was hoping that everything would be better than what I'd read. I would say that it is clear to me what people like and don't like about this place. The public rooms are grand and (mostly) tasteful--nice atmosphere. The actually rooms are rather shabby, however (and we saw three rooms before settling on the one we have thinking 'surely there must be something better'...there ain't, or at least not at the moment).
I would say the real let-down is in the staffing. Not arrogant or rude as some have suggested, but fairly limited in their range of what they know or can help you with. The concierge recommended the vaporetto to the airport even though we asked for cheaper alternatives...he just shrugged and suggested we ask at the train station (doesn't seem very concierge-like response to me). Ditto for questions about linking to wi-fi, the possibility of using points for breakfast (you can't) and other stuff...a smile and a shrug. In both these cases we were sent to the reception desk (25 feet away) where no one was manning the desk. The concierge clearly sees us standing there for 5-10 minutes with no one there and doesn't call anyone. It's also weird that on the occasions when we've need them, no one staffs the reception desk (granted, these were off-times -- 9:30pm and 11pm respectively, but still...). When we checked in we were in a "line" (one other person). No one (not even a porter) greeted us, smiled and said 'we'll be with you shortly' or anything you'd expect from a hotel with high standards of service. Basically, you're ignored until it's your turn to be greeted. The receptionist was very nice and did (with a little pleading) allow us to see a couple rooms after the first one was deemed to be unacceptable (we can't complain because we didn't have to stay in it, but anyone who does have to stay in that room is definitely getting ripped off).
All in all, it's hard to get worked up when you're staying on points (and actually, my whole SPG loyalty is pretty rock-bottom these days so I expect little an am rarely disappointed) but it's clear to me why some people find the public areas very special, but the rooms very unspectacular (I would even say tacky--silk(ish) flowers???). I just keep repeating my mantra: it's only points....it's only points....it's only points....
Old Jul 10, 2007, 7:25 am

Christmas at Danieli?

Hello

Has anyone ever stayed at the Danieli for Christmas? Do they do a special Christmas lunch / dinner? Is it astronomically expensive? Does Venice shut down for Christmas and you have to eat at the hotel as nothing else is open>

I'm thinking about going there this year - booked a room, called the hotel to ask about Christmas arrangements but they said they haven't planned anything yet?

Just wondering if I'll be able to book a table at the restaurant / or do I need to book a package (assuming they come up with one) to get a reservation?

many thanks

Alias AKA
Old Jul 10, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Aeoplan SE, Hilton Gold
Just got back...

My expectations were low due to all the negative reviews and I even tried change hotels but couldn't get 3 nights in a row at the same hotel in Venice so I stuck with the Danieli and was pleasantly surprised. We were there for 3 nights last week - July 2,3 & 4th and it was a points stay. I e-mailed the GM a week in advance it was our 10th anniversary and we got upgraded to a junior suite - essentially 2 separate rooms that were joined together. If they knocked out the wall it would have a proper use of space but I was happy with what I got. There was also a nice bottle of wine waiting for us. The staff also took our clothes to be dried as we got soaked in thunder storm on the way to the Hotel.

The GOOD
1) The location
2) The staff was adequate - just don't expect the staff at a high end place to try to save you money. For example they recommended that we take the $70 per hour private tour as to not wait in line - we took a our chances and waited a half hour the top sites. Moreover there's no need to take a private water taxi @ $100, the water "bus" #82 to San Marco lands you barely 50 meters from the Danieli.
3) Having 2 bathrooms saved us alot time.

The BAD
1) The mattress was horrible, nothing the like true luxury beds we experienced at the Westin & St. Regis in Rome (I sell bedding for a living too)
2) Our last night we retired early and they had a live singer at the bar in the lobby which went on until at least midnight. I think they should have some sort of notice as we were only on the second floor and were kept awake.

On the whole a great trip and at great location, mind I don't how happy I would have been if I a small regular room.

Last edited by rishiboy; Jul 10, 2007 at 2:28 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 10, 2007, 8:07 pm

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
For pure historical reasons the DAnieli is amazing. However having stayed a several SPG in VEnice, I much prefer the Europa, especially if you can talk your way into an upgraded suite overlooking the grand canal (low season its much easier)

(Slightly off topic, if your looking for a great place to get great food, find the Cartier store, probably 10 minutes (if) walk from the Europa, around the corner to the right there is a "hole in the wall" restaraunt. No service charge (Yeah!) No Cupportuno (Yes!) and very good service and awesome wine (though I did find their calamari over salted, but the rest of the food and wine was outstanding)
Old Jul 11, 2007, 4:26 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I agree that the rooms at the Danieli could use some sprucing up.

The euphemistic term would be "tired"

While most of the concierges in Italy are incredible, I agree that the
concierges at the Danieli are "less than enthusiastic"

I believe it may have something to do with the Venetian temperament, which is definitely *cooler* than the warmer souls found in the rest of Italy--

but I'm saying this about my favorite city !

Venetians are inscrutable. I wouldn't call them snobby-- refined maybe. A holdover from their imperial past (and 400 years of Austrian rule)

I used to think their attitude had to do with the fact that we were Americans, but an Italian friend concurs.

So I don't visit the Danielli for pampering or luxury (in the modern sense)

I visit for it's amazing history and magic and mystery.

And that view !

Plus-- this year the concierges came through like champs for us and scored us great tickets to THAÏS.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA 2MM former EXP - driven away by "Enhancements", MVPG75, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by damon88

Venetians are inscrutable. I wouldn't call them snobby-- refined maybe. A holdover from their imperial past (and 400 years of Austrian rule)
Slightly OT, but Austria never did rule Venice for 400 years. At best, the Hapsburgs ruled Venice from 1797 to 1866.
Old Jul 23, 2007, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by rhetor
The concierge recommended the vaporetto to the airport even though we asked for cheaper alternatives...he just shrugged and suggested we ask at the train station (doesn't seem very concierge-like response to me)....
Not to stick my nose in here, but .... just how much cheaper than the vaporetto were you hoping to find?? Isn't like that being in Chicago and asking if there was any cheaper way to get across town than the city bus?!? I'm all for saving money, but isn't the vaporetto already rock bottom?
Old Jul 23, 2007, 6:11 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by 2TallSeaFlyer
Slightly OT, but Austria never did rule Venice for 400 years. At best, the Hapsburgs ruled Venice from 1797 to 1866.
You're right-- must be my Austrian heritage claiming extra years

On another note-- the concierges at the Danieli came through (!)- and delivered a bottle of champagne to my friends celebrating their 50th anniversary this month:

Here's an excerpt from their email:

"It was so lovely of you to have champagne awaiting our arrival at the
Danieli. They gave us lovely connecting rooms overlooking the basin (and
one also overthe Riva degli Schiavoni), each with two balconied windows.
And feeling already very happy by the sights out of the windows, the
champagne then arrived and we drank it at once! The Feast of the Redentore
was truly splendid. Boats and yachts of all kinds streamed in in the
afternoon until the basin was jammed with them, and the fireworks were
choreographed with music blasting over the whole area, starting with Thus
spake Zarathustra timed to the bursting chrysanthemums and waterfalls of fire. We each sat in a balcony window with perfect views. Of course the Venetians thought it was to give thanks for deliverance from the plague but of course we knew it was for us.

Great food at da Fiore, alle Testiere, and Locanda Cipriani. Excellent food
at al Covo and Antico Pignolo, and so-so food at the Danieli terrace
restaurant, although of course the view makes up for almost anything."

We've had a rough summer, so I'm (literally) counting the days to our stay in Venice in the fall. We're planning to do a few things we've never done on
prior visits-- attend La Fenice (Thaïs) --visit Giudecca - the Peggy Guggenheim collection-- finally visit San Nicolo dei Mendicoli, the church Donald Sutherland was restoring in "Don't Look Now"-- order some hand-made stationary from Gianni Basso on "Smoke Alley" (Calle del Fumo-- what a mysterious little street) and visit some of the Scuolas we've missed.

We're splitting our stay between the Gritti and the Danieli--
Old Jul 25, 2007, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, AA 1MM, UA 1MM
We stayed at the Danieli in November, and had a nice time. As various posters have suggested, it's not quite the George V (which, as an aside, has the best service of any hotel I've ever visited).

If you get a room that is near enough to the lobby, you can actually use their wireless service. This was pretty helpful for us.

I really like Venice in the off-season. It has fewer tourists, especially the trust-fund teenagers who are particularly annoying. And the mists rising off the water are very cool!
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:04 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

We've always visited in late October--

fewer tourists-- mellower locals--

and it's white truffle season

We love the mists too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.