Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2007, 4:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K/ 1MM, SPG Plat
I live in Boston and almost any visitor to this area wants to be IN BOSTON. Cambridge is nice to see for a day and the sheraton commander is esentially across from Harvard law school and harvard university, but all the sightseeing and good restaurants and anything touristy is in Boston. The westin has the perfect location for that.
Old May 10, 2007, 9:37 pm

The difference in rates is above $70 per night (since one rate is tax-inclusive and the other is not).

I've stayed at the Sheraton Commander and also have been upgraded to a two-bedroom, separate bathroom, suite. Fantastic. However, the Westin location is fun, and if it rains all day, you at least have the indoor shopping connecting all the way to the Sheraton Boston.

Is it worth $70 per night or over $200 for 3 nights to stay at the Westin over the Commander ? It depends. If you will scrimp and take public transit, it might be worth it if you got upgraded to a great room at the Commander. On the other hand, if you will take cabs to get back to the Commander your savings will drop.

The other questions are; are you going out on the town, sightseeing and dinner (a la Westin) or will you enjoy jogging and the walking in the parks (a la Commander). I'd think you'd probably do option one, so if you can use the dollar savings and be content with enjoying Boston during the day and calling it an early night, then the Commander will at least make your pocket happy. Either way you win.

If money is not the most important consideration however, and considering that you can't guarantee what room type you would have and the fact that I'd rather have a standard room at the Westin than 'get stuck with' a standard room at the Commander. I would choose the Westin: Location, Location, Location.

Last edited by Stephen loves Starwood; May 10, 2007 at 9:39 pm Reason: spelling error
Old May 10, 2007, 9:55 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
You must not be going during Harvard commencement (June 7), because the Sheraton Commander (and all area hotels) are very expensive during that time. I remember the Commander was going for $425/night at the same time last year.

Having lived by Harvard Square, I think the Commander is doable but not the better choice. It's a five-minute walk to Harvard Yard and Harvard Square, which you will probably want to see once during your stay. Given your time constraints, you're probably not going to find much else of interest in Cambridge.

The cheapest way into Boston would be taking the T from Harvard Square. It takes about 15 or so minutes to get to downtown Boston once you enter the train station. I think taxis will take around 15-30 minutes each way, depending on location and traffic. If you do take taxis, keep in mind that that will be a "hidden cost" of staying at the Commander.

If I were you, I would spring for the Boston hotel. You're not going to want to spend much time in Cambridge, so you'll be reliant on the T or taxis to take you back and forth to your hotel. You'll also be far from your hotel if you're in Boston all day and want a quick rest back in your room.

Also, keep in mind that finding a taxi in Boston can sometimes be difficult, especially when the weather is bad. Boston weather in June is very unpredictable. Last year it was POURING down rain for the several days around graduation, June 8.
Old May 11, 2007, 11:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Another point for the Westin: As a Plat, you will perhaps be able to score a jr. suite with a high view. The view from up there can be very nice, particularly of the river etc...
Old May 11, 2007, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by flyer121
My wife and I will be spending a three night long weekend in Boston for Early June. We have the option of staying @ Westin Copley Plaza on a government rate of $168 per night (excluding taxes & service fees). We also have the option of the Sheraton Commander for a TOTAL upfront fee of $350 for all three nights. It's my understanding that Plats. do NOT get breakfast at the Westin, at the Sheraton they dol. My biggest concern is that the Sheraton is just to far from downtown and all the tourist spots. For such a great rate we would consider the Sheraton, however we're concerned that it's just to far. What are your thoughts?

Not a close call, at all. Even considering the money.

Stay at the Westin. Lets put it this way--if you stay at the Westin--for a good rate (one that I get too, and in fact also have booked for early June)--I'm virtually certain that at no point during your stay, you will say "wow, we should have stayed at the Commander."

I'm also willing to bet that as you trek across the Charles back and forth, trudge through the somewhat worn down Harvard Square and ugly subway station, you WILL wish you just had just shelled out the extra money for the nice, serene, convenient Westin.

If nothing else, I GUARANTEE you that your wife will have those thoughts, and, as a married man myself, well...I think we both know what the best thing to do is here.

Enjoy the great views, classy rooms, and perfect location of the Westin. If nothing else, it will be good for your marriage.
Old May 11, 2007, 3:09 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MFLetou
Enjoy the great views, classy rooms, and perfect location of the Westin. If nothing else, it will be good for your marriage.
When we stayed at the Westin, my wife ended up peeved when she saw our end-price. With hindsight, on another visit, she would want (if we were in the OP's shoes) to save the $200 for something else. All womens' points of view are not alike

p.s. and I thank you all for the info on the Commander. That might be a spot for us on a future visit.
Old May 11, 2007, 9:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Well, I guess that's true, but at $168 a night for that particular property, she'd have to be a REAL penny pincher. I'm guessing that wasn't your end price!

The cost savings for the OP, btw, I see as probably more in the $100 (total) range, once you factor in extra transportation. Breaks down to say $33 a night...
Old May 13, 2007, 7:34 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I stay at both the Commander and Westin Copley pretty regularly, and have little to add to the others here, except for one thing: atmosphere.

The Westin Copley likes to think of itself as trendy, a faux W (at lobby level) in a city without a W. Service, as a result, is cool and not especially friendly. It also is a convention hotel. But the rooms are good -- especially if you get upgraded to a corner room (aka "junior suite" in Westin Copley parlance) as a Plat. Expect a modern hotel without a lot of warmth.

The Sheraton Commander is historic. Many rooms have recently been renovated. If you can get an Exec King on a lower floor (which another FTer recommended to me), I highly recommend it -- a four-poster bed in a good-sized room. It is a historic (not fancy, but historic) hotel in a fascinating area.

To the points of others on being "central," the Westin Copley definitely is more central. But odds are you'll be taking the T in either case. The Westin Copley is closer to the T -- one block from the main entrance to the green line. (The Commander is on the red line, about three blocks away.) I'd recommend, in either case, buying a seven-day Charlie Ticket for $15, which allows unlimited travel on the T for up to a week. Considering the one-day unlimited Charlie Card is $9, it's a bargain.
Old May 14, 2007, 6:51 am

Stay centrally at the Westin for that price differential.

You'll be around for too long to be focused only on Harvard Square and the back and forth (if you go by cab) will eat into the price differential.

Much different feel in the Copley Mall area and much more within walking distance.

Presumably you won't have a car since parking at the Westin will be much tougher than trying to find than near the Commander.
Old May 14, 2007, 8:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
Let me throw my vote in for the Sheraton Commander. It's a grand hotel that went under a great renovation. It's very convenient to th T and in an excellent location. They are liberal with upgrades and the suites are marvelous.

Skip the restaurant though. Harvard Square is right there.
Old May 14, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, UAL Premier, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Boston Logan Airport

Am I reading it correctly that I'm better off staying in Boston, rather than one of the "airport" properties, because they are actually closer to the airport? I'm flying in at midnite with my wife and 2 year old picking up a rental car the next day. Which has the best value for the points?
Old May 14, 2007, 4:15 pm

A lot probably depends on who you'll rent from, where you're headed after renting the car, and how much you value convenience.

Arriving at midnight, it will take roughly the same amount of time to take a taxi to the Westin or Sheraton in Back Bay/Copley or to the Sheraton 4P (airport location). Renting a car the next day, there's an Avis office 1 block away from the Westin. That's a convenient location if you're headed anywhere west of Boston.

If you're headed north toward Maine and the coast, or south toward Cape Cod, then the Copley area is a lot less convenient.

If you have status w/both Starwood and Hilton, I'd think the best choice is the Hilton at the airport. Walk from the terminal to the hotel, and car rental is right there.
Old May 14, 2007, 8:25 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold and Marriott Silver
Did we forget points and cash??

Why hasn't anyone mentioned that the Commander is 4k points and $60 cash per night ?? Can't beat that!
Old May 14, 2007, 11:46 pm

jswede -
Thanks for the tip! I have business at Harvard this fall, but had reserved the Sheraton Boston for four nights at a relatively high rate (over $300, or 10,000 points, per night); I think the Commander wasn't available on cash & points when I checked in March.

Anyway, it is now, and is a huge savings in dollars and convenience in my situation.

I would agree with others that the Westin (or the Sheraton Boston) have far better locations than the Commander for a person whose primary focus is Boston, as well as more "cachet."

Again, thanks for the tip.
Old May 15, 2007, 7:00 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold and Marriott Silver
Smile

YW. We are going to Boston Thursday. We are staying at the Commander and the Westin. SPG was offering the Westin for points and cash but pulled it for the summer months. It should return in August.

As far as finding rooms at the Commander with C&P's, if I can't find any, I just check from time to time. I have had a lot of luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.