Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:18 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by nologic
The Westin Waterfront is the best SPG hotel in Boston, bar none. It is a terrific hotel...great large rooms, terrific Platinum suite UGs, flat screen TVs...excellent food...very posh.
That may be so (I'm neutral on this and will post no opinion); however, the hotel management is still faced with the frustrating reality that out of 100 random folks polled, the results would surely fall something like this for hotel preference for a Boston weekend visit:

Westin Copley = 61%
Sheraton BOS = 28%
Westin Waterfront = 11%

It's all location and neighborhood. If I'd never been to BOS before, I wouldn't want to be out at the "waterfront," Copley/Pru is by far the better location for what most folks are there to do.
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sbtinme
That may be so (I'm neutral on this and will post no opinion); however, the hotel management is still faced with the frustrating reality that out of 100 random folks polled, the results would surely fall something like this for hotel preference for a Boston weekend visit:

Westin Copley = 61%
Sheraton BOS = 28%
Westin Waterfront = 11%

It's all location and neighborhood. If I'd never been to BOS before, I wouldn't want to be out at the "waterfront," Copley/Pru is by far the better location for what most folks are there to do.
I would agree with most of the above two posts, and I think we have a consensus: the SB and WB are "better" locations (any visitor to Boston is going to want to spend time in Back Bay, but getting around either by T or Taxi is easy from all the hotels...the WC is "nicer" than the SB...but the WW is a very good hotel (in fact I am staying there this coming Thursday night), possible the "best" of all three...and therefore, it is generally not an absolute question, but a relative one as to rate. For $75 or more of a difference in rate x 2-3 nights, I would stay at the WW. You have more of a chance for a suite UG at the WW and/or the SB (some of the Club floor river view suites quite nice), but the pie shaped rooms (12 and 13) at the WC are huge rooms, basically junior suites, and have a special feeling with vies on two directions: the river and downtown.

For what it's worth: 24 hour free parking is available at the WW if you can get a space on the street on the S/E (the side opposite the convention center); it's one of the few places in the city where free parking is available 24/7 with no meters.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 4:12 pm
GVA

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, BA Silver, Aegean Gold, Aeroplan 25k, AA EXP
Four Points Boston Logan

Stayed at the 4P Boston Airport in Revere yesterday night mainly due to arriving late and the hotel being cheap (90USD).

First impression was quite a negative one as my blackberry's battery drained out and there was no mention of the 4P on the hotel phone board in arrivals. Fortunately the information desk helped me out and phoned up the hotel.

Shuttle met me within 10 minutes although it could have been more had it not been sent to pick up a United crew coming in at a different terminal.

Drive from the airport takes about 15 minutes and goes through some very dodgy neighborhoods (from what I saw at 10pm).

The surrounding area around the hotel isn't that much better. You're right next to a small shopping complex (radioshack and other stuff), including a new McDonalds next door. The hotel is also right besides a highway.

At check-in the staff was friendly enough and saw my platinum status. No upgrade was given - although not sure if there was anything to be upgraded to.

The hotel itself is pretty much run down and need of urgent renovation/demolition. Carpets are very old and the walls really worn out.

The rooms themselves are fairly standard size. Still very old (and cheap looking) CRT TVs in the room. The pillows on my bed seemed rather dirty (yellow color). Heating was also a mess (only one heater for the room - nothing in the bathroom).

The bathroom itself is very small (think cupboard size). For some reasons handle bars protrude the hot water knob which meant the hottest I could get was about 60-70% warm water. Quite a let down - especially when the bathroom itself is already quite cold.

The internet didn't work for me - even doing all the trouble shooting didn't do the trick.

I'd say only go to this property if you are spending minimal time in Boston or are really on a budget. The staff are helpful (although to a certain limit), other than that there's nothing that is positive about this property (in fact it strikes me as the worst SPG property I have done to date).

My grade: 3/10.
Old Feb 17, 2009, 1:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, SPG LTP
Just returned from a long weekend in Boston. We did some hotel hopping and here are some impressions:

Four Points Logan
Called for shuttle on arrival and it was there to pick up our pilots so minimal waiting. Plat status recognized at check-in and amenity offered. We were on a breakfast included rate and it took a minute our two to sort that out and we were off to our room. Standard (I'm guessing the only kind) room on the top floor. Nothing special. It was fine. Breakfast was decent, aside from the mouse that scurried across the dining room. No joke. I mentioned it on check-out and the guy was pretty matter of fact about it. "I've heard. They're trying to do something about that." We only stayed here because our arrival was so late (after midnight) and probably won't repeat.

Sheraton Boston
We had two one-night stays here. The first night, we were upgraded to a mini-suite in the north tower with a nice view of the river. It was small and dated, but comfortable. Neither TV worked (no signal at all). We had already prepped for bed when we discovered it so I didn't mention it until check-out. I wasn't trying for compensation, but the guy offered 2,500 points and I'm not one to refuse free points. On our second stay we were told that a better room (likely an executive suite) would be available later if we came back. We were offered a lesser room in the meantime, but we were headed out so we said we would just come back. We were given a "suite" that I would describe more as a junior suite on the top floor of the north tower. Basically a big room with a sofa and chair. Also dated and tired, but comfortable.

We were given lounge access on both stays and enjoyed the nice spread in the morning. Cereal, fruit, coffee, juice, danishes, bagels, etc. We were never there during evening lounge hours.

They are currently renovating the north tower which can be loud during the day. They were very good about warning guests about it, but note that they're not kidding about noise. At times, it sounded like they were jackhammering our walls. Not a big deal since we were usually out, but as the guy we passed in the hall shouted at us, "Don't plan on taking a nap."

The rooms should be pretty nice when construction is done. In the meantime, they're decent, but the stays were made better by the attentive front desk staff and Plat recognition. We'll stay there again, especially post-construction.

Westin Copley
Check-in was a disaster with only 3 people working the desk and dozens in line. We probably waited 30 minutes, but we're rewarded with a junior suite. Of the four rooms we had, this was by far the nicest and largest. My only complaint (other than check-in) was the pillows on the bed (no feather). Would definitely stay there again. The Duke basketball team was staying there for their game against BC and we rode up in the elevator with some of them. Coach K is intense.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 4:51 am

Programs: Former UA 1K, SPG Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IC AMB
5 nights in Boston at 3 different properties

Hi all,

I wanted to post these comments as datapoints for those trying to decide where to stay in Boston. I'm an SPG Platinum, and normally book the lowest or convention rate.

Sat-Sun: Westin Copley Place. "Upgraded" to deluxe room from booked traditional. Previous posts stated that a junior suite was normal for plats, but on this convention weekend, the Westin appeared to be full. Later called about a different issue, and they comp'd me wi-fi and bottled water, which is normally included with the junior suites. This was a pleasant surprise, and would be nice if all Westins did this. But like most Westins in the US, no lounge or breakfast, but luckily there are Starbucks and Au Bon Pains close by. Good location (mall and restaurants, as well as tourist sites), but a walk to Hynes Convention Center.

Mon-Tues: Sheraton Boston. Upgraded to a corner 1 BR suite from a booked traditional on a BRG. Very spacious for 1 person, including 1.5 BA. Would have planned a get-together if I had known. Odd that there's no wi-fi, but wired internet access. Club access includes free internet access, which was interesting again. Initially assigned a "Presidential/Cambridge" Suite, but it was being used as a hospitality suite for a company at the convention. Minimal offerings at the Club Lounge for breakfast, but excellent staff in the evening, with a change in offerings during the hors d'oeuvres period. Very close to the Hynes CC. The Westin Copley Place is actually connected to the indoor mall, so you can walk to the Sheraton without going outside, but it's about a 12 min walk. Overall, Copley is a great location, with access to Newbury, Boston Common, etc. Taxi from the airport was about $30.

Wed: Westin Boston Waterfront. Upgraded to a 1 BR suite from a booked traditional on a BRG. It was actually 2 adjoining rooms, with 1 furnished as a living room with sofabed and dining table. Both rooms had tvs with HD content. Not too much around this hotel, but it was pretty nice, with high ceilings in the lobby area, and nice bar/restaurants. $15 ride to the airport.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by portishead
Hi all,

I wanted to post these comments as datapoints for those trying to decide where to stay in Boston. I'm an SPG Platinum, and normally book the lowest or convention rate.

Sat-Sun: Westin Copley Place. "Upgraded" to deluxe room from booked traditional. ...........But like most Westins in the US, no lounge or breakfast, but luckily there are Starbucks and Au Bon Pains close by. Good location (mall and restaurants, as well as tourist sites), but a walk to Hynes Convention Center.

Mon-Tues: Sheraton Boston. Upgraded to a corner 1 BR suite from a booked traditional on a BRG. .....

Wed: Westin Boston Waterfront. Upgraded to a 1 BR suite from a booked traditional on a BRG. ...
Thanks for the update on these properties. I was scrolling all over for a note on club lounge at the Copley Place. You finally mentioned that there is none. They did not even comp breakfast?
Old Aug 7, 2009, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Thanks for the update on these properties. I was scrolling all over for a note on club lounge at the Copley Place. You finally mentioned that there is none. They did not even comp breakfast?
They dont have to. Breakfast is not a SPG Published benefit. However, there are properties the go over and beyond the published benefits and provide breakfast for Platinum elites.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:19 pm

Just came back from a week-long stay at Westin Copley Place..

All has been said before, good location next to T station, good food options nearby, decent gym with some free-weights and lots of treadmills, etc.

Everything was fine, got a corner room with a cool view. The downsides are that there are no freebies and internet was 10 bucks for 24 hrs.

I am heading back to Boston next week but will be staying in Cambridge at the Le Meridien where at least internet is free and the gym is even better.

Plus, I like that side of town and the rate was about 60 bucks cheaper so all in all, can't lose with either property assuming the price is right.
Old Aug 7, 2009, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by jjgollum
...got a corner room with a cool view. The downsides are that there are no freebies and internet was 10 bucks for 24 hrs.
Now when you said corner room, did you mean junior suite? If so, junior suites come with complimentary internet. They will take it off your bill. If you used it, you can still call the accounting department to have it removed.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:13 am

Wife and I hated Westin Copley. A hotel in a mall. No personality, no charm, no warmth. Lousy front desk experience. Cambridge Le Meridien was much better when we moved for second night (although the A/C is too loud). Probably the new W will be our choice in Boston.
Old Aug 9, 2009, 8:20 am

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by dlerner
Wife and I hated Westin Copley. A hotel in a mall. No personality, no charm, no warmth.
Interesting.... I suppose the same could be said about the Sheraton Boston, the Marriott Copley and the Back Bay Hilton?
Old Aug 9, 2009, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by BlissWorld
Now when you said corner room, did you mean junior suite? If so, junior suites come with complimentary internet. They will take it off your bill. If you used it, you can still call the accounting department to have it removed.
It was xx13 room.. Not sure if it qualifies as a junior suite or not since it was a big, pie shaped room.

Are you thinking that internet should be free in that room?
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:10 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
They dont have to. Breakfast is not a SPG Published benefit. However, there are properties the go over and beyond the published benefits and provide breakfast for Platinum elites.
I believe the only one mentioned in the prior post offering free breakfast is the Sheraton Boston (in the Club Lounge).
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:21 pm

It was xx13 room.. Not sure if it qualifies as a junior suite or not since it was a big, pie shaped room.

I have no idea about comped internet, but xx13 series rooms are what this hotel calls their Jr Suites.
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!

My apologies. It appears that the hotel has reverted back to charging internet again. They last time I stayed there, the room description stated that internet was complementary on a best available rate and I was not charged when I stayed in a junior suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.