Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boston: which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2007, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Jumpgate
The Sheraton Commander in Cambridge is very nice. I've been staying there every week. Large rooms, very nice staff, great area (right near Harvard Square and a T stop). The hotel has an old grand feel of luxury.
I stayed at the Commander 2-3 nights every 4-5 weeks for about three years, and they treated me very well as a Platinum, except that the food is poor. I always got an Executive King and occasionally a suite, and settled into a routine in asking for the 33 corner rooms because the street noise doesn't bother me.

But I finally gave up in January. The property has raised their rates to a point which I find unacceptable. They're not at .com boom levels, but it's been $195 and usually $215/$235 for the last eight months. They gave us a SET number which worked at $165 for three stays, then it was never available any more.

Given my disappointment with other Starwood issues such as redemption inflation, and the sad state of the 4Ps, and Hyatt's decision to give stay credit for Hyatt Place and Summerfield, I've left the Commander. I'm staying at a mix of the Hyatt Cambridge (smaller upgraded rooms, and a more expensive taxi, but much better food and often $50-$60/night less) and the Summerfield in Waltham ($75-$80/night less pays for the flexibility of a rental car, and my work day is 7a-7p so the drive to Alewife is short).
Old Mar 20, 2007, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, USAir Gold
Originally Posted by prosen
I stay in Boston every week and rotate between the four major starwood hotels.
Westin Waterfront-VERY large, really nice, but the location is awful. There are no restaurants nearby and no mass transit. Given how bad Boston traffic can be, I like the option of the subway.

There is a Silver Line station right across the street. Five minutes to South Station. 15 minutes to the airport.
$2/ride
Old Mar 21, 2007, 7:02 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
I agree with the sentiments regarding the Sheraton Commander.

The restaurant is definitely not worth visiting. But Harvard Square is right there, so there's not shortage of good food. Also the T is very convenient.

Now that the renovations are complete there's a sort of grand old New England feel to the place thats unique among Sheratons that I've visited. Also, they are very mindful of SPG at this hotel, and even as a Gold I get upgraded to a suite roughly half the time.

Another note is that this hotel often has specials. Go to their web site and click "hotel offers". I was baffled by a $195 night I had intended on using last week, but there was an easy shopping special listed that I've been able to use every week that brought the rate down to $149 and even included a $25 food and beverage credit.
Old Mar 21, 2007, 8:01 am

Programs: AA 2 MM Plt, *wood Plt
Originally Posted by MFLetou
Overall, I do feel like the Sheraton staff is friendlier and there is more "play" in terms of upgrades, etc. But the Westin is classier. The staff just tends to act like they are doing you a favor by letting you stay there.
Agree with all the above. Sheraton stay is very nice, but I get nothing but attitude from the Westin. And had multiple problems with proper SPG point credits from Westin, even after talking to front-desk manager.
We have often receieved great upgrades at both properties, however.
FYI: We like to bring in our own food, and found a microwave oven in the Club lounge at the Sheraton. Very convenient.

Last edited by WestLA-FF; Apr 6, 2007 at 1:29 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 21, 2007, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA 1MM
Originally Posted by prosen
Westin Waterfront-VERY large, really nice, but the location is awful. There are no restaurants nearby and no mass transit. Given how bad Boston traffic can be, I like the option of the subway.
Yeah, since when does the North End have any decent restaurants ?
Old Mar 21, 2007, 6:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm in Boston twice a month, and usually rotate between the Westin Copley, Sheraton Boston, and Sheraton Commander.

Westin Copley. Attitude others have noted, but the most convenient to Copley Square. Best Plat upgrade is usually a Jr. Suite, which really isn't a suite, but a large corner room. Very nice and spacious. Also, they have the $16/day Internet/long distance bundle, which I like.

Sheraton Boston. Niceness to Plats others have noted, but a bit worn. A five minute walk to Copley Square through the Habitrail Tubes (er, Pru Square mall skywalks). Can't stand the bar -- souless, no good wines. (But then, the Westin's bar is oh-so-pseudo-W-trendy.)

Sheraton Commander. Nice remodeling, crappy gym (compared to the other two -- almost hit my head on the ceiling when using the cross trainer). Executive Kings on low floors very nice and classy. Good staff. Restaurant is nothing to write home about.

If the wx is good, I like the Commander (ten minute T walk). If I need to be downtown quickly, the Westin. If the price is right, the Sheraton.
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:20 pm

Boston MA - Master Thread

Guys,
Just booked a couple of nights at the Sheraton Boston through American Express Corporate travel and i' trying to add in my spg number and SPG.com is giving me the following message"This hotel does not participate in Starwood Preferred Guest."

Does the Sheraton Boston no longer participate in the SPG program? That would be extremely unfortunate

3. Starwood Preferred Guest Information
Please note: This hotel does not participate in Starwood Preferred Guest.

StarChoice Number What is StarChoice?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1P; SPG Plat;
Originally Posted by V60t
Guys,
Just booked a couple of nights at the Sheraton Boston through American Express Corporate travel and i' trying to add in my spg number and SPG.com is giving me the following message"This hotel does not participate in Starwood Preferred Guest."

Does the Sheraton Boston no longer participate in the SPG program? That would be extremely unfortunate

3. Starwood Preferred Guest Information
Please note: This hotel does not participate in Starwood Preferred Guest.

StarChoice Number What is StarChoice?
Must be some mistake. The SPG.com website doesn't have any such notice and, in fact, lists the # of Starpoints it takes for a free room, etc.

Do you still get points and/or stay credit and/or spg elite privileges if you book through Amex Travel or other 3rd party sites?
Old Mar 26, 2007, 3:36 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
I've seen this before and it's just a "tech" glitch. I've seen this on some of my email confirmations or while booking online at some other Starwood properties too; even if some were corporately owned Sheratons, so just ignore the note. If you would staying at the Parker Meridien in NYC, it would be a whole other story. I really wonder why a hotel & Starwood would even want to have a partnership if the hotel in question doesn't want to participate in the SPG program? Anyhow, the Sheraton Boston fully participate in the SPG program and is a nice hotel overall, just pricey sometimes.

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Mar 26, 2007 at 5:52 pm
Old Mar 26, 2007, 4:25 pm

Programs: CO Plat, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hilton Diamond, CO Pres. Plus, Hertz #1 Gold
Stayed there about a month ago, and all was well. Used the check-in kiosk and was automatically upgraded to a wonderful Jr. Suite with a view of the river and Cambridge. Just a temporary glitch.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
This hotel certainly does - just checked out today. And, if I may add, I find it to be the most SPG compliant hotel I have ever stayed at - truly an example for others.

I always get great upgrades, super friendly staff, and a nice lounge. Plus, don't forget the 500 bonus points for using the kiosk!
Old Mar 27, 2007, 7:40 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
LOVE this hotel too! Mr. Raymond is amazing as is the rest of the staff. They are certainly spg compliant.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:16 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Plat, AA Gold, UA Gold, DL Silver, HH Gold, Vail Epic
Could it be the Boston Park Plaza Hotel? It's associated with Starwood but doesn't participate in SPG.
Old Mar 31, 2007, 7:53 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
The Sheraton Boston Hotel definitely does participate, and does treat SPG members well (as others have noted). I stayed there two weeks ago and will again next week, and as a Plat, have never failed to be upgraded.
Old Apr 5, 2007, 12:15 pm

Got the points & an upgrade. Just a glitch at spg.com

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.