Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Vacation Club 90-minute sales presentation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Vacation Club 90-minute sales presentation

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: BAEC gold, Marriott gold, Hilton gold
At a preview tour in Spain I told my wife not to ask any open ended questions in order to keep it short. When asked if I would like to return to Spain I said I like to go to different places every year. I was told that's no problem Marriott has properties all over the world and I can swap my nights for hotel nights. And where am I planning to go next? I replied I've seen quite a lot of the world and next on my bucket list are Cuba, Iran and Syria. At which point she went quiet. Finally I asked the cost of maintenance charges and cost of swapping nights and any other charges. When I did the maths in front of her I told her it would be cheaper for me to just book nights at Marriott hotels directly. Plus I don't have to fork out initial cost for the timeshare. We then agreed to discontinue.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 1:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jahason
At a preview tour in Spain I told my wife not to ask any open ended questions in order to keep it short. When asked if I would like to return to Spain I said I like to go to different places every year. I was told that's no problem Marriott has properties all over the world and I can swap my nights for hotel nights. And where am I planning to go next? I replied I've seen quite a lot of the world and next on my bucket list are Cuba, Iran and Syria. At which point she went quiet. Finally I asked the cost of maintenance charges and cost of swapping nights and any other charges. When I did the maths in front of her I told her it would be cheaper for me to just book nights at Marriott hotels directly. Plus I don't have to fork out initial cost for the timeshare. We then agreed to discontinue.
I gotta say that is awesome. I will remember this is if I ever find myself in a timeshare presentation; name some heavily sanctioned country.

I do have a question on the math. Were you factoring the cost of the timeshare, maintenance fees, and the cost to swap to a different hotel? And this added up to higher than the cost of just booking the hotel as a guest?

Thank you.
Old Mar 16, 2023, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Have received an offer (Canadian here) to go to Aruba ...
Be careful -- There's a timeshare / vacation scam going on and the scammers will claim to be Marriott but aren't. https://news.marriott.com/news/2020/...nt-phone-calls

I believe it's RCI or someone related to RCI who is initiating these calls and we've received a ton of them at my office over the years. Same robocall woman's voice in every call, but Marriott, Hilton, even Costco was used by the robocall & subsequent operator. (If I'm filling out TPS reports, I'll happily take a spam call and see how long I can keep them on the phone. I hold the office record at 48 minutes) They stopped during the lockdowns but have restarted in the past month.
SPN Lifer, yscleo and TXJeepGuy like this.
Old Mar 17, 2023, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Xero
I gotta say that is awesome. I will remember this is if I ever find myself in a timeshare presentation; name some heavily sanctioned country.

I do have a question on the math. Were you factoring the cost of the timeshare, maintenance fees, and the cost to swap to a different hotel? And this added up to higher than the cost of just booking the hotel as a guest?

Thank you.
Yes exactly. Not initial cost of timeshare. Just cost to swap nights and maintenance cost. It came to about £100 a night. So then I said for about £100 I can just go om my Marriott app and simply book a hotel. OK maybe not in London or NYC but for this amount I can get very decent Marriott hotels in a lot of Asia, Eastern Europe and many other regions.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 18, 2023, 1:58 am

Programs: AC 35K, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, GHA Titanium, HH Gold, Centara Platinum
Am I the only one here who used the presentation to book a vacation? The rep I dealt with informed me that you can use your points at non-MB hotels. So I was going to a region sparse of MB hotels and we spent the entire time looking at the hotels I wanted to go to lol. Surprised me for sure but made the time fly by.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Are there any locations in NYC that offer the presentations?
Old Dec 11, 2023, 9:47 pm

I think the Manhattan Pulse location does.
Old Dec 26, 2023, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by reggiekush
Am I the only one here who used the presentation to book a vacation? The rep I dealt with informed me that you can use your points at non-MB hotels. So I was going to a region sparse of MB hotels and we spent the entire time looking at the hotels I wanted to go to lol. Surprised me for sure but made the time fly by.
Not at all. I had a great vacation without having any intention to purchase the timeshare. We asked for early morning presentation slot so that we had rest of the day for sightseeing.
Then I sent friends and family to enjoy the same vacation. Even my taxi driver.
Boraxo likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.