Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Vacation Club 90-minute sales presentation

Old Oct 23, 2006, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I was considering going to one of these Marriott Vacation Club deals where you have to hear a 90-minute sales pich for the "Time Share".

I herd they lock the doors and won't let you have water or go to the bath room until you sign on dotted line ?

Don't like the lcoation they are offering the deal on, will they offer a trip most of the other locaitons ?
Old Oct 23, 2006, 3:05 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
I have heard that if you can hold out for more than 24-hours they will let you go, but you have to sign away your first-born, if you aren't going to buy from them.

Actually, Marriott's timeshare presentations are probably the most laid-back in the industry. I have probably been to more than 10 of them. Everytime I get anywhere close to an MVCI property, I try and drag my wife to one just so I can get the 15K points or whatever they are offering. In most cases, if I let them know upfront I am taking the tour only to get the points, they will let me off well less than the 90 minutes.

If you are at all interested in possibly purchasing a Marriott timeshare, I would strongly suggest you take some time and peruse the www.tug2.net website. They are the experts on timeshares and there is a whole forum there devoted to Marriott.

Also, there are a number of threads on this forum concerning Marriott timeshares, tours, and tour packages. Do a search using the term "MVCI" and you should get enough info to keep you busy for awhile.
KRSW likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2006, 9:06 pm

Were doing a tour for MVCI early 2007 for 15k pts and the 249/4nts deal at the one in MCO(Grande Lakes). I think its a pretty neat deal, except for the fact that Ive stayed at the JW Marriott MCO so it will be a downgrade going to the MVCI.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
We did one in AZ a couple of years ago. The gentleman was very nice and there was no hard-sell at all. In fact, there was barely any "sell." He didn't seem to care much either way. We were so hurt by the lack of the hard-sell that we thought about buying one just to spite him, but decided against that.

Mike
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:01 am

Programs: Chick-Fil-A Red, Wawa, Red Cross blood donor
They aren't hard sells, but they can sure make it enticing...really, really enticing.
Old Oct 24, 2006, 9:06 am

Programs: AA 'kettle', Marriott Gold, ICH Gld, Hertz 5*
Just mention you're looking at "resales", and they'll move you right on to the gift segment

IMO, as the market is beginning to soften, you may see a change in Marriott's sales tactics. Traditionally low key, letting the resorts sell themselves, things are a changin'

FWIW, if you have a hard time saying no, but can't pass up a good deal (promo/points), you can always rescind (time period varies by resort).

Pat
Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott LTT, United Club Life Member, UA *S
We've done about a dozen of them over the years. Never been a hard-sell at all. Very courteous; keeps to the schedule; delivers the "gift" promptly. We did buy two different weeks and have been very pleased with the "exchange-for-points" option. (We bought long enough back that we can exchange every year - more recent purchases only qualify for alternate year points exchange.)
Old Oct 24, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HH Gold
I stayed at the Marriott Marbella Beach Resort as a guest. I went to a presentation,but all I kept thinking was 30+K, that's almost a brand new BMW. I did receive 10K points and a bottle of wine. At the resort, I filled out a referral card, 4 friends or family.....they didn't contact anyone.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Which hotels in the USA offer these presentations? Is there a list anywhere?
Old Feb 3, 2013, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Which hotels in the USA offer these presentations? Is there a list anywhere?
These are timeshare presentations, not hotel presentations. Having said that, a number of the timeshares have nearby hotel properties. For example, Marriott Canyon Villas timeshare (Phoenix area) is near a hotel. Desert Springs Villas 1 and 2 (Palm Desert, CA) are near a hotel. But, as an example, the Lake Tahoe, CA timeshare (Timber Lodge) does not have a nearby Marriott hotel.

Sometimes the presentations are at the timeshare property, and sometimes the presentation is over at the hotel. It just depends on where the timeshare offices are located.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Actually, Marriott's timeshare presentations are probably the most laid-back in the industry.
I would have agreed with you until I listened to a pitch by Disney. Now there is a product that sells itself, with absolutely zero pressure from the staff!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:33 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I went to a presentation last week at the Marriott Vacation Club in Hawaii (Oahu) and they were very laid back, no pressure at all.
It's a great concept and makes sense. Only issue I have is not being able to earn MR points on stays while using your club points but the ability the transfer club points to MR points is a big incentive.

They were also offering, in addition to the 10,000 points you get for attending the presentation, anywhere from 275,000 to 975,000 points (depending on the package) for signing up on the spot. So no hard sale but some pretty attractive incentives!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:24 am
Original Member

Programs: Lifetime Platinum Marriott
Remember that the sales guys is there for you.

A great way to pass the time is to ask him about the area.
Restaurants, Activities, anything at the resort location that most people miss.

I actually find the quiet useful. Also, if you are thinking about going somewhere else ask them about it.

Since part of the sales pitch is about trading, they usually have some good info on other locations.

Treat it as a learning session not a sales pitch and it can be fun.

Also, if you do not buy they will sometime offer you an "encore" trip.
Basically, a cheaper rate to come back (or maybe go to another location).
Sometimes they are good deal and sometimes you can get similar price.
Just read the fine print and usually they will let you decide on encore before you leave, so you do not have to sign then.
The last time we used the - "We need to check our calendar" and that worked.

One final note - Don't lie. If you are not interested, saying you are just wastes both your time. If you are only there for the points, you can say "I just came for the points" or no, but you don't get anything special for acting interested other than a longer presentation as he wants to make sure you stay sold. And if you agree to 90 minutes and it is 91 minutes, a polite - "This was only supposed to be 90 minutes, and we really only came for the points, thank you for your time, but we need to go" works great.

Finally if everything sounds great and you really want to buy -
DO NOT BUY ON YOUR FIRST TRIP!!!!!!

If you like what you hear, do some research.
Whatever special deal they are offering that is only for today - they will offer it again if you ask.

I own two Marriott time shares and love them both. But I bought them at a different time and while they work for me, they may not work for you.
Everyone is different. Have fun.

My rule of thumb, if it will not impact my vacation then do them. If it would change things, then don't.

Also, be sure to ask if they have an bonus for early meetings.
We usually go for Marriott Bucks (Pays for wife's massage). They usually throw in an extra $50 if you schedule early. For us, we do the presentation so we get free pastries, get the money and are usually back before the teenagers are up.
yscleo and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Just curious - How much was the price of the unit and what was the annual maintenance fee. Usually those numbers alone are enough to dissuade me from any kind of purchase.

FWIW - I recently did a tour of the Aruba Surf Club for 15K points when I was staying at the Aruba Marriott on a points redemption. After blowing 210K for a 7 night stay I just had to get my point balance up again and had to cajole the Mrs. into attending.

Originally Posted by sammyindc
I went to a presentation last week at the Marriott Vacation Club in Hawaii (Oahu) and they were very laid back, no pressure at all.
It's a great concept and makes sense. Only issue I have is not being able to earn MR points on stays while using your club points but the ability the transfer club points to MR points is a big incentive.

They were also offering, in addition to the 10,000 points you get for attending the presentation, anywhere from 275,000 to 975,000 points (depending on the package) for signing up on the spot. So no hard sale but some pretty attractive incentives!
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Just curious - How much was the price of the unit and what was the annual maintenance fee. Usually those numbers alone are enough to dissuade me from any kind of purchase.

FWIW - I recently did a tour of the Aruba Surf Club for 15K points when I was staying at the Aruba Marriott on a points redemption. After blowing 210K for a 7 night stay I just had to get my point balance up again and had to cajole the Mrs. into attending.
It's not by unit but by points. You buy a certain amount of points and you use them at any vacation clubs you want.

The current rate is $11.4 per point so if you're looking at 3,500 points it would be $39,900 but they always offer discounts.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.