Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Vacation Club 90-minute sales presentation

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Vacation Club 90-minute sales presentation

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
I just came back from Westin PVR and attended a Timeshare Presentation.
It was less than 90 mins.
The Sales Rep was telling so many incorrect things that I finally had to stop him and correct the info
1. He told me about getting a 1 week stay at a Cat 1 - 5 hotel and 120000 miles for 270,000 points. I stopped him and explained that this was prior to merger. He insisted that this was information given to him at the beginning of the month.
2. He then proceeded to claim that Marriott points cost 0.55 cents (USD) per point and that 20,000 points will cost me $1100 and if I brought the timeshare, then he will sell it for far below :-)

The cost was going to be $16,000 for some 45,000 options and $750 per year maintenance fee.

I declined and walked off with 17,500 points and 20% discount on food and beverages (except alcohol) for the 7 days I was there. Saved me another $50.
yscleo likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Are there any places to attend a time share presentation in New York?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Maybe the Marriott Pulse in NYC?

Being an owner I got a call to pick a city to preview any Pulse. 3 nights $99.
I chose San Diego.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 12:24 am

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I did the one at the Pulse. It took much longer than they promised, but they did give a light breakfast and 20,000 points.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by sherriflinda
I did the one at the Pulse. It took much longer than they promised, but they did give a light breakfast and 20,000 points.
FYI

For future, you are not obligated to stay beyond the 90 minutes or whatever time was promised.
I read about a guy who sets his timer on his phone and announces times up.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by YoungBubbie
FYI
For future, you are not obligated to stay beyond the 90 minutes or whatever time was promised.
I have been known to do that! Not to be rude, but because I hate the BS sales pitch regarding all the wonderful resorts around the world, etc.and the fake math that shows how much I will spend on vacation lodging. Just cut to the chase and tell me the buy-in price and annual maintenance fees, as well as any "bonus" offered for buying on the spot.
SPN Lifer, yscleo, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott
FYI

Oh but I am a polite Canadian who let him finish and bring in the closer. Next time, i will have an "appointment" to get to!
YoungBubbie likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 3:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
A trick that has worked for me every time (and I have done 3 Marriott, 1 Hilton and 1 Starwood over the past 10 years) is to show him the amount of points in all of our reward programs and the amount of nights that we travel for work and completely negate the argument that I would have "spent" the money anyway. I always promise that when we stop traveling for work and no longer earn the points, we would buy the timeshare.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo, Fims and 5 others like this.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:59 pm

Vacation club information session - $250 card

Folks - any catches to getting the $250 visa gift card for the marriott vacation club information session? Does it last 90 mins or there's a 1:1 you have to go through with somebody later on?

​​​​​Also do they indeed give you the 250 gift card right away as promised?

Thx

Last edited by sam007; May 13, 2021 at 2:49 pm
Old May 14, 2021, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by sherriflinda
Oh but I am a polite Canadian who let him finish and bring in the closer. Next time, i will have an "appointment" to get to!
You simply need to tell them you have ice cream in your car and need to hurry home before it melts.
Old May 15, 2021, 3:23 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
You simply need to tell them you have ice cream in your car and need to hurry home before it melts.
I'm personally a fan of "I have to iron my dog".
Old May 15, 2021, 7:14 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I find the MVC very much a sham. I prefer how other programs have fixed weeks you can trade rather than just points. I’d recommend people buy a used timeshare rather than direct.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 10:15 am

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Have received an offer (Canadian here) to go to Aruba (5 days 4 nights) for $399 US and attend one of these 90 min sessions. St. John, Hawaii and Orlando also mentioned for various prices. In fairness to the guy who called me, he was quite pleasant and not at all pushy. He is calling me back on Tuesday and I'm inclined to book one, but wanted to see if there are any horror stories. Perhaps there is another post here I cannot find that someone could point me to, but there don't seem to be a lot of catches being cautioned in this forum at least, but if anyone has any intel on what to expect other than the pushy 90+ min presentation I'd be all ears.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by YZF_Elite
Have received an offer (Canadian here) to go to Aruba (5 days 4 nights) for $399 US and attend one of these 90 min sessions. St. John, Hawaii and Orlando also mentioned for various prices. In fairness to the guy who called me, he was quite pleasant and not at all pushy. He is calling me back on Tuesday and I'm inclined to book one, but wanted to see if there are any horror stories. Perhaps there is another post here I cannot find that someone could point me to, but there don't seem to be a lot of catches being cautioned in this forum at least, but if anyone has any intel on what to expect other than the pushy 90+ min presentation I'd be all ears.
Bought one and we are going to St John later this year. Also booked a couple of nights at the Ritz in StThomas with Bonvoy points to extend our vacation.
Last one we did was at San Diego Pulse a few years ago. These packages are a great deal and only need to give them 90 minutes of your time. You just have to remember how to say No.
We do own a MVC week in Aruba but bought it on the secondary market 11 years ago. Been enjoying it every year.
Old Mar 10, 2023, 8:01 pm

Programs: AC E75 / Marriott Titanium Elite
Bought one and we are going to St John later this year. Also booked a couple of nights at the Ritz in StThomas with Bonvoy points to extend our vacation.
Last one we did was at San Diego Pulse a few years ago. These packages are a great deal and only need to give them 90 minutes of your time. You just have to remember how to say No.
We do own a MVC week in Aruba but bought it on the secondary market 11 years ago. Been enjoying it every year.
Thanks. I want to take advantage of the St. John one, but every search for flights to St. Thomas I do seems to come up empty for a star alliance reward booking sadly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.