Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 30, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WasKnown
Expert Review (posted to Luxury Forum) from Dec 2016: 3 exceptional stays with Aman-like service and true luxury

https://www.flyertalk.com/hotel-revi...ue-luxury-1716

As of September 2021:

Breakfast is served as in-room dining
Spa is closed (seemingly permanently?)
Gym is open
Bar is open weekends until 11 PM
Print Wikipost

St Regis San Francisco [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
sorry, but i dont agree with your take at all. available suite upgrades ARE A GUARANTEED PERK! if they want to give their properties more leeway, than dont say GUARANTEED!!! or do like hyatt, and offer suite upgrade vouchers. at first, i thought hyatts system was stupid, but considering how evasive SPG properties are (especally the cat 5-6 properties), i have come to believe that hyatt's system is better. it helps manage expectations, and prevents properties from giving the runaround. but dont say it is a guaranteed perk EXCEPT if we expect to sell the room later, because that will just give the properties another opportunity to deny a GUARANTEED PERK of spg platinum.
I see where you're coming from, but the way that SPG has worded the platinum benefits, they create the expectation that if an upgradeable suite is available, it will be given. If reality is as you state above, SPG needs to reword it's policy to include the expectation of being able to sell the room. But of course, that would drive people away in droves which is why they don't.

You bring up the customer's expectations. As a consultant, a large portion of my job is managing expectations, as I imagine might be the case in many industries. Seems SPG could use some of those consulting skills...
Old Sep 21, 2010, 11:28 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Plat, Centurion, too many airlines
Originally Posted by ramalama8
I see where you're coming from, but the way that SPG has worded the platinum benefits, they create the expectation that if an upgradeable suite is available, it will be given. If reality is as you state above, SPG needs to reword it's policy to include the expectation of being able to sell the room. But of course, that would drive people away in droves which is why they don't.

You bring up the customer's expectations. As a consultant, a large portion of my job is managing expectations, as I imagine might be the case in many industries. Seems SPG could use some of those consulting skills...
ramalama8- i think you have misread me... i am in full agreement with what you are advocating. if an upgradeable suite is available, IT SHOULD BE GIVEN!!! not some nebulous world where, "oh, we might sell the room." that is just more BS on top of the BS they are already feeding us. spg used to be the best- they have fallen hard. eventually, like singapore air, they will learn that p**sing off their best customers will come back to bite them hard.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Originally Posted by taipeiflyer
ramalama8- i think you have misread me... i am in full agreement with what you are advocating. if an upgradeable suite is available, IT SHOULD BE GIVEN!!! not some nebulous world where, "oh, we might sell the room." that is just more BS on top of the BS they are already feeding us. spg used to be the best- they have fallen hard. eventually, like singapore air, they will learn that p**sing off their best customers will come back to bite them hard.
Ah, gotcha. Glad to see we agree. And you're exactly right - angering your best customers (especially those that post on travel boards) in order to save on cleaning (the only reason I can think of to leave a suite empty while denying plat upgrades) is penny wise pound foolish.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ramalama8
Ah, gotcha. Glad to see we agree. And you're exactly right - angering your best customers (especially those that post on travel boards) in order to save on cleaning (the only reason I can think of to leave a suite empty while denying plat upgrades) is penny wise pound foolish.
How do you define "your best customers?".
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:52 pm
Suspended

I do know that it is commonplace for hotels to leave rooms empty and dirty if guests depart late.

I just left the Blue Palace and the second-in-charge told me that if guests check out after 4 PM, housekeeping is already gone and the room is left until the next day. I was asking why I wasn't upgraded and he told me that perhaps the room wasn't clean....and then we got into a whole discussion on the matter.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by JFKSFOLAX_friend
When you say "treats elites the same way," do you mean they withhold upgrades in anticipation of selling the room? Haven't most of the reviews on here said that the W is good with upgrades?
Yes.
No, I don't think so (I did not take a tally).
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:14 am

Programs: Marriott LT-TE, United Gold
Hopefully moving this thread back on topic, I had a great stay here last week with my fiancee. Booked a last minute FWN for Friday night (thanks to the ambassador line for making that happen!), arrived and was put in a nice deluxe room on the top floor (unfortunately not a corner room but not a big deal). Both of the Front Desk Agents were busy (one with other guests, one on the phone) when we arrived and had to wait a few minutes to check-in which really wasn't a big deal. However the Agent who checked us in offered us a round of drinks on her before we left for the evening for the inconvenience which was totally unnecessary but a nice touch reminding us why we love the St. Regis so much. Otherwise our stay was great, loved the amenities and the bed as always. One suggestion for food, check out Town Hall up on Howard/Fremont (easy ~3 block walk). Excellent Southern inspired food (get the Fried Okra and the Ribs).
Old Sep 22, 2010, 9:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by chrisdeaner
Hopefully moving this thread back on topic
The property's failure to live up to the SPG rules isn't "on topic?"
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:56 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Plat, Hilton Gold
Least available upgrade....

Currently here for the weekend, and the front desk definitely was interested in upgrading to the minimal upgrade possible even if other non-suite and suite rooms are available. Got complete runaround, as was upgrade to the minimal room class higher, then after inquiring was preassigned into premium king 2 class higher(room being cleaned), then upon check-in down graded back to deluxe room. While standing at the desk, another platinum guest checked in and was told "due to your platinum status you've been upgraded to a suite". Was told that the customer paid for the suite when inquiring about their embarrassing situation. Paid for their complimentary upgrade?, I would only assume they paid for a higher class room to begin with. Then again, while I expect they were relatively busy, they were still selling all sorts of suites online and were clearing out their oracle conference that morning so I'd expect a bunch of availability.

Not quite the st. Regis experience expected while on a long Sheraton, Sheraton, W, W, St Regis west coast family trip. Anyways, the room is large and in decent condition. They have small bottles of remede branded toiletry, tiniest embarrassingly small tv in bathroom vanity area, nice beds, decent shower and tub for kids. Housekeeping has been outstanding, hear firetrucks loud each night, great bedding and bed, nice and efficient bellman and valet. Pool was very clean and heated to normal temperatures though I prefer warmer. Great location.

W San Francisco was much friendlier at checkin with crayons and coloring book, milk and cookies sent up, cool corner room upgrade. While the st Regis room is larger and more luxurious the overall vibe has been unremarkable and the W room was a tad more interesting with local flavor touches such has foot massager, paintings, sculptures, etc.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:00 am

Programs: AA PLT / MR LTPP 1/1/19 / Hilton Diamond
Was the other customer a 30 something Asian guy? If so, that's my friend and he did pay for a confirmed upgrade a few days beforehand.

Originally Posted by crazywudsl
Currently here for the weekend, and the front desk definitely was interested in upgrading to the minimal upgrade possible even if other non-suite and suite rooms are available. Got complete runaround, as was upgrade to the minimal room class higher, then after inquiring was preassigned into premium king 2 class higher(room being cleaned), then upon check-in down graded back to deluxe room. While standing at the desk, another platinum guest checked in and was told "due to your platinum status you've been upgraded to a suite". Was told that the customer paid for the suite when inquiring about their embarrassing situation. Paid for their complimentary upgrade?, I would only assume they paid for a higher class room to begin with. Then again, while I expect they were relatively busy, they were still selling all sorts of suites online and were clearing out their oracle conference that morning so I'd expect a bunch of availability.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, *wood Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, A|Club Platinum, Avis President's Club
Paid Confirmed Suite Upgrades are available

Originally Posted by araknis
Was the other customer a 30 something Asian guy? If so, that's my friend and he did pay for a confirmed upgrade a few days beforehand.
Paid reasonably priced "upsell" upgrades to suites are available to Platinums in advance or upon check-in.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ratnasam
Paid reasonably priced "upsell" upgrades to suites are available to Platinums in advance or upon check-in.
Ok, I'll bite. What is "reasonably?"
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, *wood Platinum, Hertz President's Circle, A|Club Platinum, Avis President's Club
Upsell

Upsells vary from $50-$150 per night or you can use points. Available for Astor Suites and Metropolitan Suites. Can only be arranged with the hotel directly.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ratnasam
Upsells vary from $50-$150 per night or you can use points. Available for Astor Suites and Metropolitan Suites. Can only be arranged with the hotel directly.
I am sure the hotel is hoping for upsells when it fails to upgrade Platinum members to the "best available room at check-in, including select suites." Clearly it is against the rules, but I assume this is (part of) their strategy.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 11:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Priority Club Plat, Hilton Gold
Not paid...

White guy not Asian, there was no paid upgrade at the point of check-in or most likely beforehand as it was complimentary upgrade at time of check-in. The paid upgrade thing was most likely just a BS answer to get out of the situation. Was given many different answers and while some may make partial sense or be possible, it is highly likely they just tried to keep the upgrade minimal instead of according to policy to the fullest extent. They even downgraded me late at night at the actual check-in after the earlier preassigned higher below suite room category agreed to at the counter when rooms weren't yet ready.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.